Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Schneider Heim posted:

I have an Xperia E3 and it's pretty much great, except for one nagging problem: The internal storage is 2 GB, and just installing a few essential apps (Twitter, FB, the Awful app) gives me a perpetual 85% storage full warning. I have an SD card and have transferred everything the phone lets me to it, but my internal storage never goes below 85%. It's a problem because I can't install or update any apps if I reach that threshold.

I'd like to store my apps in the SD card instead, but the phone doesn't let me (some app data will still remain in internal memory). I asked a friend who had owned an Xperia (lower-end model) before and she said it's pretty much a problem I can't get around without rooting. Is there another way to remove most of the bloat in my phone's internal memory?

You have to root, install link2sd and format a portion of your SD card to ext4. It's an absolute pain to do and can cause stability problems as well as speed issues, particularly if your SD card is rather slow. If you have no other choice, then it might be worth it. Go check out the rooting thread for further help.

Manufacturers really have to start shipping phones with at least 16GB of onboard storage nowadays, anything less and it's a hell of a squeeze.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

SwissCM posted:

Manufacturers really have to start shipping phones with at least 16GB of onboard storage nowadays, anything less and it's a hell of a squeeze.
Even that would be pushing it given the bloated size of TouchWiz.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

LastInLine posted:

Even that would be pushing it given the bloated size of TouchWiz.

System mem on my Note 4 is like 8 gb lol.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Knuc U Kinte posted:

System mem on my Note 4 is like 8 gb lol.
This is a little old (from January 2014) but should be accurate for KitKat:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

It is, a few weeks ago I reflashed my S4 to stock 4.4.2 it was under 9Gb free. To understand how the gently caress was that possible, I rooted, installed Titanium Backup and checked the amount of system apps Touchwiz had compared to my previous 4.4.4 Google Edition rom (68 on a clean install). Touchwiz had the insane amount of 332 system apps. Touchwiz is full of bloatware and features, features, features, features and more features you'll never use. I have to admit that after using it a few days some of the apps were nice but nothing you can't replace with one from the play store. poo poo like the hover hand and all the poo poo like the screen not shutting down until you fall asleep is retarded. Multiwindow is awesome, but on a 5" screen is not that useful and if I had a Note, I might try to endure Touchwiz for that and the whole S-Pen but then If I wanted a big phone I rather go with other options where the software doesn't bother as much like an Huawei Ascend Mate7 or G7 (I know it's heavily modified skin but is nicer to use), or even a LG G3 Titan.

nerox
May 20, 2001
Free year of netflix and milk music if you buy a note 4, galaxy s5, or a few other devices starting yesterday. Pretty nice surprise since I bought a note 4 yesterday not knowing about this.

https://samsungpromotions.com/netflix/

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Just got my Nexus 6, beautiful phone. Lollipop is OK, going to take a bit of getting used to from Touchwiz.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Detox is always hard, but you'll come through as a stronger person.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Except for the whole memory leaks causing crashes as well as notifications you can't click. I love my Nexus 6...

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006
Does the ATT moto x 2nd gen have an unlocked boot loader?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Except for the whole memory leaks causing crashes as well as notifications you can't click. I love my Nexus 6...

What memory leak? That's a Nexus 5 issue, isn't it? My Nexus 6 has over a week of uptime right now and zero issues.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

CLAM DOWN posted:

What memory leak? That's a Nexus 5 issue, isn't it? My Nexus 6 has over a week of uptime right now and zero issues.

It's definitely a Nexus 5 and Moto G issue with Lollipop. It's probably entirely on the software.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

Calm down

A restart fixed the heads up notifications bug. Yeah random apps will crash sometimes. I only use Google apps and nothing else.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

madkapitolist posted:

Does the ATT moto x 2nd gen have an unlocked boot loader?

No. Get the Pure Edition if you're worried about this.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Edit: nm

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

We're finally hitting 4GB of ram on a phone. I don't know why you'd need that much but hey, here we are.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Skeezy posted:

We're finally hitting 4GB of ram on a phone. I don't know why you'd need that much but hey, here we are.
With current trends, RAM is going to outstrip storage!

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

CLAM DOWN posted:

It's an anything with lollipop issue, caused by the screen off/on

Didn't seem to affect everyone for some reason.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Skeezy posted:

That phone has as much ram as the ultra books we give our employees. WTF.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

ilkhan posted:

That phone has as much ram as the ultra books we give our employees. WTF.

Gotta multitask all those endless runners somehow man

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
More RAM for Lollipop to munch on.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Desk Lamp posted:

More RAM for Lollipop to munch on.

It widens the reboot window from like 2-3 days to 4. :v:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

4Gb on an Asus phone no one will buy. I mean, their Zenfones look cool but knowing Asus (still own a TF201) they will probably just let the devices die and not update them at all.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Not to mention the weird motion actions.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Twist to picture is awesome and I'll cut anyone who says otherwise.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I'm surprised they didn't include a bend phone action for something :q:

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

bull3964 posted:

Twist to picture is awesome and I'll cut anyone who says otherwise.

Agreed, it's the one motion gimmick that I actually kinda like.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Anyone have a MOTO accessory discount code? I'd love to get a charger for my Moto 360.

Allaniis
Jan 22, 2011

Guillermus posted:

4Gb on an Asus phone no one will buy. I mean, their Zenfones look cool but knowing Asus (still own a TF201) they will probably just let the devices die and not update them at all.

The 2 GB one is 199 off contract. That's a crazy price.

Sir Pukesalot
Nov 3, 2012
Free oneplus one invite: https://account.oneplus.net/invite/claim/GLZJ-PDGG-F9YR-IAK_ just shift the _ with a 4

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Allaniis posted:

The 2 GB one is 199 off contract. That's a crazy price.

Yeah I saw that one both on Mediamarkt and Phonehouse (Spain). And I truly meant they look cool, they feel like welt built devices and nice on your hand but I'm afraid that they wont get updates or just let a flaring issue never fixed like the TF201's gps.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Whelp, I guess it's time to say goodbye to Qi.

http://www.androidcentral.com/two-three-wireless-charging-standard-groups-will-merge-mid-2015

quote:

Previously, the Alliance for Wireless Power included members such as Intel and Samsung while the Power Matters Alliance includes AT&T, Duracell, Starbucks and Powermat. However, the leading wireless standard group continues to be the odd one out: The Wireless Power Consortium, which champions the popular Qi standard that is used inside some of Microsoft's Lumia smartphones and other products.

So, the two other wireless charging groups merged and they have Intel, Samsung, AT&T, GM, Starbucks, Duracell, and Powermat. Intel and Samsung now merging with Qi's main competitor pretty much spells the end for Qi in the long run.

Allaniis
Jan 22, 2011

Guillermus posted:

Yeah I saw that one both on Mediamarkt and Phonehouse (Spain). And I truly meant they look cool, they feel like welt built devices and nice on your hand but I'm afraid that they wont get updates or just let a flaring issue never fixed like the TF201's gps.

Supposedly, the Zenphone 5 has been receiving update, which is promising.

I notice a lot of Asus Android stuff is running Intel now and at a much lower price point than Qualcomm products. Intel must be giving those chips away.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Whelp, I guess it's time to say goodbye to Qi.

http://www.androidcentral.com/two-three-wireless-charging-standard-groups-will-merge-mid-2015

So, the two other wireless charging groups merged and they have Intel, Samsung, AT&T, GM, Starbucks, Duracell, and Powermat. Intel and Samsung now merging with Qi's main competitor pretty much spells the end for Qi in the long run.
The two groups are merging because they're the ones that no one uses. The only thing that's going to define a "winner" is Apple including one and until they do it doesn't matter what happens in the space.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

LastInLine posted:

The two groups are merging because they're the ones that no one uses. The only thing that's going to define a "winner" is Apple including one and until they do it doesn't matter what happens in the space.

Apple will probably just make their own standard for this poo poo and not user any of the existing ones because hey it's work for them before so why not?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

LastInLine posted:

I wouldn't exactly say Qi is flying off the shelves either. You have a handful of nexus devices and a couple of Motos and maybe an LG if you bought it from the right carrier or a Samsung if you bought a new back (and that will probably stop now.)

Even Google can't agree it keep it in their own Nexus devices.

The important part is PMA has more non-electronics partners as the only way wireless charging is really going to take off is if the technology is built into other things people use. Now they ALSO have two heavyweight electronics manufacturers in their corner to round out the other side. I could easily see charging pads being built into the bases of Samsung monitors or portable hard drives with built in wifi that only need to be placed on a wireless power mat to boot up and start sharing files. Want to watch TV in the laundry room? Just set our Samsung Smart TV on top of your samsung washer and it will automatically get the power it needs, no wires! Attach our smart picture frame to the side of our smart fridge and you can see all your family moments, no unsightly cables!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Or in coffee shop tables, so you can type up your novel without having to get up...

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Bizarrely, Google were in the PMA while selling phones with Qi.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
BLU just announced a 5-inch phone with a 5,000mah battery. Holy poo poo.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/01/06/blu-announces-handful-new-devices-including-trio-budget-handsets-slated-get-lollipop/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Goddammit why is the back button on the wrong side