Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

T-Bone posted:

What's the reprint cycle on something like Dungeon Lords -- I know they just did an anniversary kickstarter, but will the actual game be like impossible to find at a decent price for a while?
You can pre-order it on CSI for $44 currently.

Broken Loose posted:

gently caress poo poo GUYS WHY THE gently caress ISN'T EVERYBODY EXPLODING ABOUT THIS??

http://myemail.constantcontact.com/...aid=17aPfDgMspI

:frogsiren: :siren: PICTOMANIA PREORDERS ARE LIVE, GAME COMES OUT IN MARCH :siren: :frogsiren:
Thank Christ, that only took, what, three or four years?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Mega64 posted:

I'm pretty sure I'm playing Galaxy Trucker wrong somehow because my ships rarely ever get too damaged, even my first few times playing.

I really need to convince my friend to pick up the expansions for his copy, I guess.
Play with the alternate ship designs and have somebody actually flipping the timer. The expansions do make things harder though, for sure.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Bobby The Rookie posted:

You can pre-order it on CSI for $44 currently.

badass, thanks

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

Lorini posted:

Backing up a bit: LeHavre has two major problems which is why I sold mine and problems Caverna doesn't have. I'm spoiling it in case you want to find out for yourself.

Loans are ridiculously overpowered, unless you are playing four player it does not make sense to actually produce food, just get loans instead. And even then only the fourth player should produce food, everyone else should get loans. There's really only two strategies in the game, ships or shipping steel/coke. That's about it. You need to play a bit to find this out, but I was really disappointed. Caverna doesn't seem to have these issues (yet).

I don't know if spoilers are really necessary here, both points are largely correct and thematically appropriate. It's a game about building an industrial empire in a harbour town, and the dominant strategy is for the most part taking on loans while you set up the infrastructure required to produce the most valuable goods and ship them.

Anyway, regarding loans: Food is still important and worth producing or taking efficiently as a means to save money or pay entry costs on buildings, but it's not a central resource like it is in Agricola/Caverna. I would agree the rulebook probably overemphasises it and it can take a few games for people to realise that they're not actually supposed to be career fishermen. Businesses taking loans while they work towards profitability is pretty standard, but of course if you don't like that mechanic then that's fine. I enjoy getting a bit of a debt and then paying it off when I'm rich.

As for the second part: I think this comes down to how much the players value the idea of "multiple paths" to victory. Lots of good games have one main strategy that would be analogous to "take loans, ship steel" that effectively form the backbone of the game around which everything else revolves (Puerto Rico feels similar off the top of my head). The enjoyment in these games for me is how everyone works around each other as you all pursue that goal. It's in the taking of a 3 wood stack just to ensure you get the first boat, or an inefficient brick production move to make sure you can get a modern ship first even though others beat you to the steel, or the extra turn or two you sit on the colliery right when everyone else really wants to use it. This doesn't really do it for some people and I understand that, a friend of mine has the same issue with Le Havre as you - he was very disappointed to find out that you can't really win with a giant stack of fish or hides. It's just not that sort of game.

I hadn't really thought about this as a potential issue for people who really like the farming games though, and I don't disagree. Just thought I'd give my two cents on why I don't think these are 'problems' with the game specifically.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Yeah sorry I misread that because I'm a dumbass.

The thing about rough roads is that they're super inconsistent in how dangerous they are. Most are very mild, and can either be played around fairly easily (Infected Goods? Just include the aliens you wanted to include anyhow) or ignored entirely (Union Ship). On the other hand, a few of them will single-handedly ruin your ship: Defective Connectors, Meteoric Inversion, Somersault, the Intruders cards. And then there are the Lose More cards that won't ruin your day on their own but will tear you apart if combined with any of the ones that are nasty on their own, like Piercing Projectiles or Worker's Comp.

Because of that, you could cruise through space easily with four rough roads if you drew toothless ones, or you could die horribly from just two rough roads if you drew Meteoric Inversion and Piercing Projectiles together.
This is exactly what happened to us. Round 1 was utter destruction, but then in Round 2 we got infected goods plus union ship plus unlucky. We built our ships right so unlucky didn't hurt too bad, and the infected goods actually helped us pare down how much we'd have to pay the union guys at the end.

Also, the people saying we didn't make the newbie play rough roads are spot-on. We were using them to give the new guy a fair shot - and it worked. If he'd bothered to put on any cargo slots in round 1 he'd have shot to an early lead, and if he'd tried to do literally anything in round 2, he'd probably have kept the lead or at least been close. We didn't play round 3 because he was obviously done with the game and we're not cruel. He loved coup, at least, even though he was awful at it.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Quite surprised to see the Shadowrun game near the very top of Rahdos top games

I guess I should check out the video. He usually goes for non-confrontational euros that play well with 2 and I have heard squat about the Shadowrun game.

Edit: hmm he really likes Death Angel, too. So I guess his thing is non-confrontational euros and super hard co-op games. Surprised he doesn't like the LotR LCG more but the core set alone is kind of weak compared to the expansion quests and bigger card pool

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Jan 6, 2015

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
Jesus, $44 for Dungeon Lords. I want!

I'm thinking of making some foamboard inserts for a couple of my games, specifically Tash Kalar + expansion, but possibly also Twilight Struggle. Are they any good guides or resources or plans for specific games?

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
A quick round-up of games I played over the festive season.

Medina: An interesting 'lay pieces in grid' game like Go or Othello (is there a name for these type of games), which was described as a giant game of chicken and lives up to that. Players try to claim a palace of each of the four colours, but are compelled to make two moves a turn which may involve claiming or making them bigger. I don't think I'd ever buy this but would happily play again.

Roborally: Silly silly fun, Race robots around a machine factory floor with conveyor belts, but you programme their moves at the start, if they get moved on the way they will still follow their old orders with fun results.

Survive: This worked pretty well as a 3 player game, and was good looking enough to attract more players. But then we played with 6 players. Don't play this game with 6 players.

Skull: Surprise hit of the season. Its essentially a filler but we probably spent more time playing this than any other game. My brother bought this so I'm pleased to have ready access to this, but I may make a homebrew version for playing in a pub or with friends.

Dixit 5: This may be the first game I own that I sell. My gf likes Dixit and my brother had Dixit 2 so we were looking for more cards. I didn't like the art style of 3 and 4 but 5 looked good. The art is nice if not generally dark, but too many of the cards are just really hard to do anything with. And most of the table felt that about their hands.

Surburbia: We got this because Ludwig wasn't in stock. I like it a lot, and want to play more. The initial regret I felt about how the theme would appeal less to some, is diminished somewhat by thinking the master builder phase may cause some issues with people I play with. Surburbia works fine though, and is good as a different kind of game.

Going to Draughts on Sunday, hoping to try some new games.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Fat Turkey posted:

Dixit 5: This may be the first game I own that I sell. My gf likes Dixit and my brother had Dixit 2 so we were looking for more cards. I didn't like the art style of 3 and 4 but 5 looked good. The art is nice if not generally dark, but too many of the cards are just really hard to do anything with. And most of the table felt that about their hands.

Dude, just mix the whole drat deck.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
We played it as just Dixit 5 with the plan to use Dixit 2 cards with it in later uses. If the cards aren't much use, its not much of a solution to just add other decks, when we could just use the other decks only.

Also, as Dixit 5 is the only version I own, that's not an option when playing with anyone who doesn't also own the game.

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

If you take those sheep again I will bury this fucking axe in your skull.

Fat Turkey posted:

Skull: Surprise hit of the season. Its essentially a filler but we probably spent more time playing this than any other game. My brother bought this so I'm pleased to have ready access to this, but I may make a homebrew version for playing in a pub or with friends.

You can use a standard deck of cards for Skull by dealing everyone a black royal then three red numbers. Can use the unused royals as the mats you flip over to indicate a won challenge.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I tried Dixit over the holidays with my nephews. It did not go over as well as CaH at all. They are not creative enough to come up with clever clues. Dixit is only a better game in theory, I could tell I would have had a lot more fun playing this with people who would have understood some of the clues I personally wanted to play. But as it stands for strangers or particularly young/stupid people I would recommend CaH over Dixit.

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

Ronald Reagan? The actor!?

Rutibex posted:

I tried Dixit over the holidays with my nephews. It did not go over as well as CaH at all. They are not creative enough to come up with clever clues. Dixit is only a better game in theory, I could tell I would have had a lot more fun playing this with people who would have understood some of the clues I personally wanted to play. But as it stands for strangers or particularly young/stupid people I would recommend CaH over Dixit.

I would recommend not playing with these people.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Rutibex posted:

Dude, there is nothing inherently funny about CAH, its just a bunch of shortcut buzzwords for humor, so those devoid of all native creativity or comedic ability can pretend they can make a joke. If you just want a funny game, play something like Say Anything, where the entire purpose of the game is to be funny of your own accord, without relying on the "abortion" or " Black People" cards to be crutches.

Dixit isn't necessarily a "funny" game, but it is creative and the whole point is to assess the table and figure out what clues they will get. If you are ust making clues you want people to guess, I think you missed the whole point of the game.

CAH is a toy, Dixit is actually a game.

Look I get the appeal of CAH, I've played it, had a laugh, and I'm glad I don't play it anymore. Its the same sort of "moar offensive=moar funny" poo poo that 4chan loves. Its not a game that deserves repeated sessions. Playing CAH is like reading a less funny Encyclopedia Dramatica.

Try Say Anything, it has a bit more replayability than CAH, and see if that doesn't bring out more of the humor you want.

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Jan 6, 2015

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

mongol posted:

I would recommend not playing with these people.

They are my family I'm not going to stop playing with them because they suck at boardgames :v:

Madmarker posted:

Dude, there is nothing inherently funny about CAH, its just a bunch of shortcut buzzwords for humor, so those devoid of all native creativity or comedic ability can pretend they can make a joke.

That's my point though, my nephues are in their mid teens. They can't make a joke, but they can enjoy laughing at dirty words on cards that offend their grandmother when she walks by. I'm not saying DIxit is a bad game, but it bombed over Christmas at the Rutibex house. Next year I will be bringing a new CaH set instead.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Fat Turkey posted:

Jesus, $44 for Dungeon Lords. I want!

I'm thinking of making some foamboard inserts for a couple of my games, specifically Tash Kalar + expansion, but possibly also Twilight Struggle. Are they any good guides or resources or plans for specific games?

The Esoteric Order of Gamers has some generic instructions and then some specific guides for various games. Much like the reference guides they do, they are pretty pro.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

Zveroboy posted:

You can use a standard deck of cards for Skull by dealing everyone a black royal then three red numbers. Can use the unused royals as the mats you flip over to indicate a won challenge.

That would have been the easy way to do it but I decided to search all over town for restaurants with drink coasters and drew on them. I think it turned it pretty good considering my lack of artistic talent.

Tree Dude fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jan 6, 2015

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Timett posted:

That would have been the easy way to do it but I decided to search all over town for restaurants with drink coasters and drew on them. I think it turned it pretty good considering my lack of artistic talent.

This is a great idea! I normally support designers by actually buying their games, but this feels so much more personal and fun, and also in the spirit of the game.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
Sheriff of Nottingham was the hit of the holiday season for my friends and family. I'm pretty sure that I sold two or three copies of that game once it is back to print.

The only issue we have is that the discard piles get filled completely with illegal goods within the first round or so. This means that the whole draw from the discard thing becomes pointless quickly. Should our group be trying to smuggle in more legal goods?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Timett posted:

I find the coasters too annoying to hold so I made a deck out of dollar store playing cards and Staples address labels with the original art printed on them. It's tiny (compared to the coasters) and can get trashed at bars or wherever and I don't much care.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I like the custom coasters! I like them so much that I decided to make a smaller, non-table-breaking version with a coarse attempt at tamping down the glare and improving the colors.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
We play skull by just dealing one person all the K's, another all the 4's, another all the 10's, etc. We call the game heartless.

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

The Resistance clusterfuck continues. Not sure if these comments are open for the public, or if you need to be a backer, but they are worth reading yourselves here.

The tl;dr of it is that some idiot in the UK is incredibly butthurt at Travis (The Indie Board & Cards dude). UK dude has been posting dumb poo poo about not receiving the game or a refund. Travis posts a Paypal email with the guy's personal info saying he did return the money. The dude apparently doesn't understand how the gently caress Paypal works. He posts that he has supposedly gone to the police and his bank to file fraud charges. Then he posts that Travis is now supposedly threatening to sue him. :can:

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Rusty Kettle posted:

Sheriff of Nottingham was the hit of the holiday season for my friends and family. I'm pretty sure that I sold two or three copies of that game once it is back to print.

The only issue we have is that the discard piles get filled completely with illegal goods within the first round or so. This means that the whole draw from the discard thing becomes pointless quickly. Should our group be trying to smuggle in more legal goods?

Yeah SoN sounds really great and I'm pretty sure I'm going to get it as soon as it comes back into print. Anyone have any thoughts on K2? I love the theme, and the mechanics appear solid.

Also in continuing the recommendations because this thread has been great for that -- what's another co-op to go to after Space Alert/Forbidden Desert that won't be too disappointing? Definitely going to pick up Dungeon Lords and BSG when they come back into print, but long term I'd like to get another co-op, a heavyish euro or two (Caverna? Agricola? Puerto Rico? Terra Mystica? Maybe El Grande or Princes of Florence?). Dominion is great so maybe it will end up eating my money away with the expansions.

Here's the family collection so far, tell me what else to burn money on:

Space Alert
Galaxy Trucker
Forbidden Desert
Dominion
7 Wonders
Ca$h and Guns 2nd ed
Wits and Wagers
Settlers of Catan (+ 5/6 exp)
Chaos in the Old World
Lords of Waterdeep
Game of Thrones 2nd ed
Avalon
Coup
Love Letter
Tichu
Diplomacy
CaH, Trivial Pursuit, Scrabble, Monopoly, Clue, Risk, etc

I can't really say there's a strong preference among those. We're really enjoying everything. Strong theme is nice, but they're eating up Dominion so it's not a huge deal. I guess...variety and depth (as in more, compared to what I have). But if there's a fun/lighter game that has an interesting mechanic that's a good gateway (sorta like Waterdeep) to deeper stuff, that's fine too -- awesome party games are welcome as well.

Plays well at 4, 5, or 6 players is a huge plus, I will say. We usually have around that number -- although if there's something awesome for 2 or 3 that's a must have my ears are open.

:homebrew: :homebrew: :homebrew:

echoMateria
Aug 29, 2012

Fruitbat Factory

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Quite surprised to see the Shadowrun game near the very top of Rahdos top games

I guess I should check out the video. He usually goes for non-confrontational euros that play well with 2 and I have heard squat about the Shadowrun game.

Edit: hmm he really likes Death Angel, too. So I guess his thing is non-confrontational euros and super hard co-op games. Surprised he doesn't like the LotR LCG more but the core set alone is kind of weak compared to the expansion quests and bigger card pool

I remember that they loved LotR but I guess it kinda got left out of top 10 due to the need of buying tons of expansions to keep it going compared to random setup games like Shadowrun. He is a retired game designer and has a limited budget, so they pick and chose what to invest in. (at least that was his excuse, in reality, he just loves buying new games too much ;))

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Whoever linked that Esoteric Order page, drat you, now I'm mentally planning out plans for Galaxy Trucker and Space Alert inserts, going to be drat hard to concentrate on anything else today.

T-Bone posted:

(Caverna? Agricola? Puerto Rico? Terra Mystica? Maybe El Grande or Princes of Florence?).

I recommend this. I played Terra Mystica over the holidays, and if not for the fact that getting my friends to play it would be tantamount to scaling Everest (getting people together for more than a couple hours is hard enough), I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jan 6, 2015

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

T-Bone posted:

Yeah SoN sounds really great and I'm pretty sure I'm going to get it as soon as it comes back into print. Anyone have any thoughts on K2? I love the theme, and the mechanics appear solid.

I asked about K2 a while ago and the consensus was that it doesn't hold up to repeat plays. I don't remember the specifics, but that was the gist of it.

Also, get Caylus. Gateways need to lead somewhere, and what better place to go than a castle in the French countryside? I think Archipelago is a good step up from Catan in that it eliminates all the dice rolling, but keeps all the rear end in a top hat negotiating with more ways of increasing your leverage.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
One thing about Caylus that people don't seem to mention is how vibrant the colors are on the board. It stands out among the old world euro aesthetic.

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

If you take those sheep again I will bury this fucking axe in your skull.

T-Bone posted:

If you fancy filling the "Euro game about trading in the Mediterranean" niche I can recommend Concordia, and I suppose if you want to fill the "18xx" niche at the same time then Poseidon was very good the one time I played it (with a couple of older, really friendly 18xx veterans).

I probably need to expand my collection past gateway stuff as well, but I'm happy where my collection is at the moment.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Bubble-T posted:

I don't know if spoilers are really necessary here, both points are largely correct and thematically appropriate. It's a game about building an industrial empire in a harbour town, and the dominant strategy is for the most part taking on loans while you set up the infrastructure required to produce the most valuable goods and ship them.

Anyway, regarding loans: Food is still important and worth producing or taking efficiently as a means to save money or pay entry costs on buildings, but it's not a central resource like it is in Agricola/Caverna. I would agree the rulebook probably overemphasises it and it can take a few games for people to realise that they're not actually supposed to be career fishermen. Businesses taking loans while they work towards profitability is pretty standard, but of course if you don't like that mechanic then that's fine. I enjoy getting a bit of a debt and then paying it off when I'm rich.

As for the second part: I think this comes down to how much the players value the idea of "multiple paths" to victory. Lots of good games have one main strategy that would be analogous to "take loans, ship steel" that effectively form the backbone of the game around which everything else revolves (Puerto Rico feels similar off the top of my head). The enjoyment in these games for me is how everyone works around each other as you all pursue that goal. It's in the taking of a 3 wood stack just to ensure you get the first boat, or an inefficient brick production move to make sure you can get a modern ship first even though others beat you to the steel, or the extra turn or two you sit on the colliery right when everyone else really wants to use it. This doesn't really do it for some people and I understand that, a friend of mine has the same issue with Le Havre as you - he was very disappointed to find out that you can't really win with a giant stack of fish or hides. It's just not that sort of game.

I hadn't really thought about this as a potential issue for people who really like the farming games though, and I don't disagree. Just thought I'd give my two cents on why I don't think these are 'problems' with the game specifically.

Back a bit again, you guys are writing too fast for this slowpoke :).

OK in our games, good players manipulated food so that at the end of the round, they could take a loan, that's how good loans are vs food, and if you see the penalty you can see why. The fourth player in a four player game shouldn't do this because the food accumulation is great enough to make food worthwhile.

The issue that I(we) have with the two pronged strategy of Le Havre is that there are let's say sucker deals in the game. For example, you can't win concentrating on the end- game scoring cards if others are going for coke/steel or ships. Contrast this with his game after Le Havre, Ora et Labora, where there is again only two real strategies, but everything in the game is used to achieve either of those strategies. You don't have the situation where you are basically fooled into thinking that there's an end game strategy that ultimately will never work out. In Ora, you can either do settlements or Wonders. However, doing either of those strategies will have you exploring the entire game, not just coke/steel, not just ships. So the design is broader and more accessible AND (importantly) newbie friendly, where Le Havre is not. Ora is one of my top 5 games of all time, I love that game, will play it any time, so no, I have nothing against games with limited numbers of strategies. I don't like games though where what appears to be a way to win is not, and I don't like games where much of the design is not needed to win the game.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

T-Bone posted:

Based on: 1) really likes Dominion, 2) cool themes, 3) good for 4, 5 players, 4) depth and variety (I am going to assume this means game to game; that's something important to my group in any case)

I am going to recommend Temporum, which had a lot of buzz a month or so ago in this thread. It is the new DXV (Dominion guy) game that is most like Dominion with card variance at the beginning of each game and interacting rules on cards. It plays 2-5 players and scales well at any number, the theme is a lot more prevalent than Dominion, and it has interesting strategic decisions (i.e. it's not just all luck) but has simple play steps like Dom.

(Also I want more people to buy it so that it gets an expansion as soon as possible.)

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Live anywhere near central Illinois?

Free on February 6-8?

Want to play some games and maybe win some auction items?

Why not stop by Winter War 42?

$15 for the weekend plus $2 per event you play in.

Board games are on the schedule, but there is lots of free play time available for pick up games.

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jan 9, 2015

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!
K2 is fun and is definitely very thematic. Particularly on your first few plays, you really do feel like your climbers are struggling up this mountain. And then you feel like an idiot because you misjudged how fast that storm was coming in and got one of your climbers killed. It may suffer some if it hits the table all the time though, depending on your group. I've probably played it a half dozen times or so and had fun each time. That being said, I probably wouldn't want to play it any more than once every month or two at most. It does also have the advantage that the rules are fairly easy to explain to new players and the theme is an attractive one for people who are new to board games in general.

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

"I never knew what hope was until it ran out in a red gush over my lips, my hands!"

-Anne Rice, Interview with the President
Over the holidays I got the chance to run a 7-player game of Eclipse and I am shocked (shocked, I say!) at how well the simultaneous turn variant managed to speed up the game without causing us problems. The galaxy setup was a bit broader than with 6-players, which may be what enabled my neighbor to block me off from the galactic center with a tier 1 tile before I could even get there. That did end up leaving me no option except to steamroll my way through him though, and by the end of the game he was in last place, down to 1 territory and no ships left on the board, so I guess there's justice in the world after all.

Has anyone had experience using alliances with 7+ players? The more experienced amongst our group had no enthusiasm for playing with them, so we left them out. The only time I ever used them was in a 4 player game, which ended with the two most powerful empires just joining together and leaving the rest of us to wither. I decided after that not to have them at all unless there were significantly more players.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

T-Bone posted:

Plays well at 4, 5, or 6 players is a huge plus, I will say. We usually have around that number -- although if there's something awesome for 2 or 3 that's a must have my ears are open.

If you want a good two player option and like strategy games at all I would recommend trying Warhammer Diskwars. Good little strategy game this is a reasonable middle ground because too-light fluff and super heavy grog. Offers nice customization options, sets up and tears down about as easily as a wargame possibly can, and plays in about an hour and a half. Also unlike something like X-Wing (which I do like) the cost of entry is low. You can probably get the core set for $40, which unlike almost every other core set in the universe is actually enough to have a fun game with. If you enjoy the game then there are two expansions that very are reasonably priced ($30 list I believe) that add a lot of great stuff including two completely new races.

It's a great way to break into 1v1 games if you have anything you think would want that kind of experience. Affordable, good theme, good customization, semi-light wargame.

Also, obligatory Kemet recommendation. It's a thread darling for good reason and you don't have it so you should buy it.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jan 6, 2015

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
Might be getting Mage Knight soon; what the hell is it? I was sold on it as a kind of tactical-combat D&D-lite thing. Is that what it's about?

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

T-Bone posted:

Also in continuing the recommendations because this thread has been great for that -- what's another co-op to go to after Space Alert/Forbidden Desert that won't be too disappointing? Definitely going to pick up Dungeon Lords and BSG when they come back into print, but long term I'd like to get another co-op, a heavyish euro or two (Caverna? Agricola? Puerto Rico? Terra Mystica? Maybe El Grande or Princes of Florence?). Dominion is great so maybe it will end up eating my money away with the expansions.

Space Alert
Galaxy Trucker
Forbidden Desert
Dominion
7 Wonders
Ca$h and Guns 2nd ed
Wits and Wagers
Settlers of Catan (+ 5/6 exp)
Chaos in the Old World
Lords of Waterdeep
Game of Thrones 2nd ed
Avalon
Coup
Love Letter
Tichu
Diplomacy
CaH, Trivial Pursuit, Scrabble, Monopoly, Clue, Risk, etc

I can't really say there's a strong preference among those. We're really enjoying everything. Strong theme is nice, but they're eating up Dominion so it's not a huge deal. I guess...variety and depth (as in more, compared to what I have). But if there's a fun/lighter game that has an interesting mechanic that's a good gateway (sorta like Waterdeep) to deeper stuff, that's fine too -- awesome party games are welcome as well.

:homebrew: :homebrew: :homebrew:

Viticulture is a great worker placement game about wine making. Don't worry it is fun even if you don't care about wine. It play 2-6 players and even has a solo version with the expansion(s), Tuscany. Not sure if you can still get the Collector's Edition or if that was just a KickStarter thing. Get it and the expansion even if you have to get them separate because after a few games you will want to get the expansions integrated. Tuscany is a "legacy-style" expansion set that includes 12 expansions that you unlock and add over time. Each time someone wins they get to add one of the expansions to the next game.

This is currently my favorite worker placement game.

Captain Walker posted:

Might be getting Mage Knight soon; what the hell is it? I was sold on it as a kind of tactical-combat D&D-lite thing. Is that what it's about?

Your worst nightmare if you don't do some reading before trying to play. It is a great game but it is finicky and can be VERY intimidating and hard to learn.

Trastion fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jan 6, 2015

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

Has anyone had experience using alliances with 7+ players? The more experienced amongst our group had no enthusiasm for playing with them, so we left them out. The only time I ever used them was in a 4 player game, which ended with the two most powerful empires just joining together and leaving the rest of us to wither. I decided after that not to have them at all unless there were significantly more players.

With even number of players, I prefer Eclipse with 2 pre-set permanent alliances, each alliance having one side of the starting map. Having a teammate allows you to specialize from the start a bit, and the potential team synergies/matchups mean the game has even more potential variety.

Ad-hoc alliances quite often end up with the game anti-climaxing mid-way through, somehow; whereas if this happens with set teams (ie. one team is way behind) then the situation is more resolved and one team can just concede.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Trastion posted:

Your worst nightmare if you don't do some reading before trying to play. It is a great game but it is finicky and can be VERY intimidating and hard to learn.

poo poo, I just spent 8 hours on 3 rounds of Twilight Imperium and I'll never get to play it again. Is it that bad? I just want to fill that tactical-combat hole that switching to 13th Age left, and Descent/ the D&D Adventure System games are apparently poo poo :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Captain Walker posted:

It's definitely not tactical combat in the normal sense of the term. Combat is essentially a brain-burny resource management puzzle that you solve with your deck of cards.

If you're looking for "I attack the orc in the back" you will be disappointed.