Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

amanasleep posted:

I also agree that we should return to the virtuous meritocracy of George W. Bush.

Neither I nor the guest on that segment said anything about that. Just because Obama's solution is a steaming pile that doesn't solve anything and is a handout to lobbying groups doesn't mean there shouldn't* be change.

This is why people find liberals immature - you put words in people's mouths and assume any criticism of Obama's solutions = "We should go back to Bush"/"We shouldn't do anything at all."

EDITED because I derped.

Amergin fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jan 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Spotted: both Castro brothers are in the House right now, just in case one of them needs to fill in for the other.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Amergin posted:

Neither I nor the guest on that segment said anything about that. Just because Obama's solution is a steaming pile that doesn't solve anything and is a handout to lobbying groups doesn't mean there should be change.

This is why people find liberals immature - you put words in people's mouths and assume any criticism of Obama's solutions = "We should go back to Bush"/"We shouldn't do anything at all."

Meanwhile criticisms and solutions from the GOP include:

FAaaaaaaaaaaaart.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Joementum posted:

Spotted: both Castro brothers are in the House right now, just in case one of them needs to fill in for the other.

They need to go on SNL or the daily show or something and cover all the terrible twin movie jokes.

An Apple A Gay
Oct 21, 2008

all those chummy fucks laughing, smiling, jesus christ
edit: why wouldn't they, they just gave themselves a loving raise

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

They need to go on SNL or the daily show or something and cover all the terrible twin movie jokes.

They've actually stood in for each other before.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Meanwhile, Joey B. is swearing in the US Senate for the 114th Congress :toot:

"Welcome guys, welcome to the Senate. Hi, I'm Joe."

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

DemeaninDemon posted:

Meanwhile criticisms and solutions from the GOP include:

FAaaaaaaaaaaaart.

That's not entirely true. They want to allow insurance companies to sell across state lines.

This will reduce premiums by letting insurance degenerate to the equivalent of credit cards that come with the annual fee taking up 90% of the credit limit and pop to 40% penalty APR if you overdraft, and which have a convenient office located in a shed in Orient, SD.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

DJ BK posted:

all those chummy fucks laughing, smiling, jesus christ
edit: why wouldn't they, they just gave themselves a loving raise

Go back and watch that episode of the Simpsons from twenty years ago where Lisa wins an essay contest, goes to DC, overhears a bribe going down, becomes disillusioned but then the system quickly fixes the issue and congress specifically doesn't give itself a raise. Then watch these fucks for five minutes and the true, unintentional hilarity of the episode is apparent.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
This is old news that I missed, Mr. W. Bush said that the demons, "Gog" and, "Magog" were at work in Iraq while attempting to persuade President Chirac to assist in invading that country.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quote of the day, "Do any of you want to change your mind?" ~ Joe Biden, to a group of Senators-elect.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
Oh my god either the cspan video quality is horrible or Boehner went loving overboard with the spray tan this morning.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Joementum posted:

Quote of the day, "Do any of you want to change your mind?" ~ Joe Biden, to a group of Senators-elect.
"Because ol' Diamond Joe here's got a stack of cash for anyone who wants to, and a baseball bat for anyone who doesn't."

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Did they seriously give themselves a raise? And if so, how much?

Also, dunno if it was already mentioned here, but third challenger has appeared. Daniel Webster of Florida. One more person about be be disappointed when Boehner wins again.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Shifty Pony posted:

That's not entirely true. They want to allow insurance companies to sell across state lines.

This will reduce premiums by letting insurance degenerate to the equivalent of credit cards that come with the annual fee taking up 90% of the credit limit and pop to 40% penalty APR if you overdraft, and which have a convenient office located in a shed in Orient, SD.

Faaaaaaaaaaaaart followed by needing new underwear.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Amergin posted:

Neither I nor the guest on that segment said anything about that. Just because Obama's solution is a steaming pile that doesn't solve anything and is a handout to lobbying groups doesn't mean there should be change.

You start out with implying that Obama's admin is hopelessly corrupt and surrounded by yes-men and political appointees (something that Brill doesn't allege in the article), you better have the alternative dialed up.

The political impact of Obamacare is that it is a partial fix for health care problems in the US. The idea that any legislation was politically viable while fixing all of the problems at once is a fantasy. Obamacare played the insurance lobby by promising them lots of new customers while playing the doctors, drug companies, device manufacturers, etc by not mandating real cost controls.

That results in a system that insures a lot more people, breaks forever the link between insurance and employment, and focuses political attention on costs. It's half a loaf, and Single Payer is the full loaf. Without Obamacare, which standardizes coverage across the entire country, the health care industry could continue to pretend that US high healthcare costs were somebody else's problem (particularly government which absorbed a lot of it behind the scenes and private citizens which absorbed it by going bankrupt and dropping dead of preventable/treatable illnesses). Now all those costs are in front of everybody all the time via the Obamacare regime of higher deductible standards.

Going forwards the politics of Health Care are on cost reductions, not Insurance rationing. That's a big accomplishment.

Steven Brill, from the article you linked to posted:

So the only ray of hope I have is that if Obamacare will force changes in the cost structure just because there are going to be so many more people buying health care that it will just have to change the cost structure. That was sort of the implicit expectation that Gov. [Mitt] Romney had in Massachusetts, which is if we enact this plan and give more people health care, then when they have it, we'll see that we have to do something about the cost and we'll get the political will together to do that.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
For those of you interested in that sort of thing, Steve Stockman apparently had one last bill to propose a few days ago.

Why would Stockman propose a first amendment photography bill 4 days before the session (and his time in office) ended, you ask? :iiam:

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I always thought England was lucky Bush hadn't heard of the London Guildhall.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Spotted: Kyrsten Sinema raising the roof with the ladies of the CBC.

Also: Paul Ryan has a beard now :siren:

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

"Because ol' Diamond Joe here's got a stack of cash for anyone who wants to, and a baseball bat for anyone who doesn't."

Diamond Joe should be swearing in all new senators while cruising for trim around the mall.

"Ok Gary, now when I pull up to that babe you ask her if it hurt when she fell from heaven and you're in. If you don't do it I'll be handing out wedgies and purple nerples tonight."

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

Joementum posted:

I now agree with him on one item.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Joementum posted:

Spotted: Kyrsten Sinema raising the roof with the ladies of the CBC.

No, he's been married for a while now.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

ReidRansom posted:

Did they seriously give themselves a raise? And if so, how much?

Also, dunno if it was already mentioned here, but third challenger has appeared. Daniel Webster of Florida. One more person about be be disappointed when Boehner wins again.

So the choices are the Devil vs Daniel Webster?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The Senate burst into laughter when Al Franken's name was called in the opening quorum call. :laugh:

And the House receieved a letter from the "honorable" Michael Grimm that he will not serve in the 114th Congress. :toot:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Joementum posted:

The Senate burst into laughter when Al Franken's name was called in the opening quorum call. :laugh:

And the House receieved a letter from the "honorable" Michael Grimm that he will not serve in the 114th Congress. :toot:

Oh wow I totally missed that Michael Grimm stuff, I had no idea he resigned.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Radish posted:

I always thought England was lucky Bush hadn't heard of the London Guildhall.

Tony Blair was the real Anti-Christ all along.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
:laffo: at Gohmert trying to look solemn while this guy nominates him.

copper rose petal
Apr 30, 2013

I can never look at Louie without thinking this.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I'm not sure quoting Mark Twain is the best way to honor Louie Gohmert....

... actually, no, it is. It's the best way.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Joementum posted:

Public whip count is now at 18 against Boehner and Daniel Webster is also running for Speaker.

Sorry Gohmert, I have a new favorite.

none of my close professional contacts, as far as I know, are college buddies of you, after all

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Orrin Hatch is now 3rd in the line of succession after Joe Biden and (soon) Louie Gohmert.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Bratt just voted for Jeff Duncan.

Any idea what was just shouted that made everyone laugh?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

ErIog posted:

Nah, it's gonna be hilarious no matter what. The GOP has be able to cover for the splitting in their caucus for the past 6 years by blaming Dems. Tomorrow is when the country starts realizing the gridlock isn't because of Democrats.

What's going to magically make the people smarter in the next 24 hours? I think you've got far too much faith in the populace at large.

Aerox posted:

Meanwhile, the Police Unions are calling on Congress to make changes to hate crime laws to include "The Police" as a protected class.

http://www.fop.net/servlet/display/news_article?id=6015&XSL=xsl_pages%2Fpublic_news_individual.xsl&nocache=449270

:qq: guys we were targeted by a broken person who broke even more when cops murdered black people and got away with it even when caught on camera. Now people are protesting our systematic abuses and deep-set racism and that's hateful on their part. :qq:

Why are cops such massive babies? Goddamn.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Senator / Speaker / President Rand Paul gets a vote from Florida Rep. Curt Clawson.

Franco Potente
Jul 9, 2010
Per Costa, the honourable Scott DesJarlais (TN-04) casts his vote for Jim Jordan.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Nancy Pelosi gets a vote from Representative Dingell. No, not John Dingell Sr. who served from 1933-1955, nor John Dingell Jr. who served from 1955-2015, but his wife, Helen Dingell.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Evil Fluffy posted:

What's going to magically make the people smarter in the next 24 hours? I think you've got far too much faith in the populace at large.

That would be :thejoke:, although I will admit I might not have made it clear enough.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Speaker Gohmert now has one vote... from Louis Gohmert.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Like the kid in grade school that gets a solitary vote for the class whatever, and it's from himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Hoyer, who openly challenged Nancy in the 111th election, votes for Pelosi.

Boehner didn't vote.

• Locked thread