Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Intel&Sebastian posted:

It pains me to say it but Palin is like The Mars Volta.

Mostly incomprehensible, but fans will tell you there's definitely a message there

Had a brief moment where she appeared to be the new savior (deloused/announce speech)
Turned off a lot of people, but solidified a very avid fanbase (Frances the Mute/Campaign)
Spent the rest of the time burning off this built up goodwill until finally petering out into nothingness (the rest)

However, The Mars Volta sounds like a good rock band, and Palin sounds like the mom from Bobby's World hooked up to a fuckin' two-stroke engine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kik2dagroin
Mar 23, 2007

Use the anger. Use it.
Just when I was starting to get my sanity back

quote:

RUSH: Fort Walton Beach, Florida. Paul. Great to have you, sir. Thank you for waiting and hello.

CALLER: Yeah, great to speak with you, too, Rush. Most Republicans agree that Boehner has to go. He not only voted for the cromnibus that funded Obama's illegal activities until next October, he also negotiated behind closed doors and then threw it on the clerk's desk 48 hours before the vote so nobody else had a chance to see what was in it. So he's disgraced himself. He's got to go.

The question is who should replace him. And two men have stepped forward to contend for the job, Louie Gohmert of Texas and Ted Yoho, from my state of Florida. And I'd like to say that based on their voting records, Louie Gohmert is the best choice.
And the reason I say that is if you look at how the vote went in the last Speakership election, when there was an attempt to oust Boehner at that time, you'll recall, and there were 21 members who signed on as being willing to vote for someone other than Boehner and then a lot of insider pressure caused a lot of them to drop out.

But finally the vote took place and there were nine people out of the 21 who stood up for their principles, Louie Gohmert was one of them, and he voted for Allen West, which was certainly a brave thing to do because Boehner had done a number on West, you'll recall, by gerrymandering his district and not funding his reelection campaign. More illuminating was who Ted Yoho voted for. He didn't vote for Boehner. He was one of the nine that didn't vote for Boehner. But he voted for Eric Cantor! Eric Cantor who voted for TARP, who supported amnesty, who was minority whip under Boehner for two or three years, then became majority member. He was an insider RINO --

RUSH: Okay, I'm down to 30 seconds. Do you think it's gonna happen?

CALLER: It's an historic opportunity. I'll tell you, one other thing, yes, I think it's gonna happen, in short, and another reason it's gonna happen is because Boehner lied to the entire House on H.R. 5759 when he rewrote it and in the middle of the night --

RUSH: Yeah, but it depends on how afraid of him they remain. I mean, the old saw about if you're gonna take the king out you better succeed, 'cause if you don't, and he's still around, you're gone.
http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2015/01/05/caller_gohmert_is_the_man_to_beat_boehner
A man can dream I suppose

You can listen to a portion of this rant here

quote:

RUSH: Now, folks, Snerdley told me that he can't wait for the audio sound bites that I talked about in the opening hour of the program where the media all over this country on the day after Christmas and the week after Christmas was totally absorbed with my commends on Idris Elba, the black British actor being positioned as the next actor to play James Bond when Daniel Craig's contract expires after the next one, not the one they're currently filming, but one more. And of course what I said was, the totality of what I said was, why do we want to blur these lines? James Bond is a fictional character created by a real man named Ian Fleming. He's white. He's Scottish. He wasn't black.

And then I furthermore said, let's look at it the other way around. Let's say that some Hollywood bigwig wants to do a biography movie The Life and Times of Barack Obama and cast Mel Gibson, what do you think the reaction to that would be? And playing Michelle (My Belle) Obama would be Gwyneth Paltrow, what do you think the reaction would be? And I said to Snerdley, "I don't want to play these sound bites because all it is is the media calling me a racist," and I said, "frankly, Mr. Snerdley, my audience is tired of me being called a racist. They know I'm not one, and they hate it. And they're not amused by it."

He said, "That's true, but there's a life lesson." There is in a way. Not a life lesson, but there's an object lesson in this that -- I won't go ahead and try to make it.
Now, I know you all don't like hearing this garbage. I know that you get ticked off when you hear these no-names and these numskulls running around just every one of them saying the same thing, every one of them sounding the same, every one of them as blind and brain-dead as the rest, with this incessant criticism of racism. I don't play this to laugh at it, but I'll tell you something here. Is it racist to suggest that James Bond is a white character created by Ian Fleming? It's not racist to suggest this. We're so far off the beaten path, we can't even talk about it.

Eric Holder runs around (imitating Holder), "We don't have any courage in this country. We got a bunch of cowards afraid to talk about race." I'm not, despite what happens to me when I do.
But there's no racism intended here. I have no bias whatever against Idris Elba. In fact, I think he's a great actor. It isn't even about him. This is about this gal Amy Pascal who thinks that Idris Elba would be a great James Bond, and we know why she says it. She's trying to buy off Al Sharpton. She's trying to buy off any of the other hustlers because she's in trouble because of the Sony leak.

But it is not racist to make an observation like this. And I know that there's The Wiz, which is the black version of the Wizard of Oz and I know that there's now a black version of Annie, Little Orphan Annie and all that. But I'm merely attesting to the fact that James Bond is a real character, a real character created by a real guy, and modeled, by the way, after somebody named James Bond, if you must know the truth, a friend of Ian Fleming's. He was not an agent, but other characteristics of his friend. It's an invention, obviously. But this idea that this is all racism?

In order to make the point, which these people, I guarantee you, none of them knew the entirety of what I said because not one of these people actually ever heard me say this. They all heard this or probably read it from one place. They are the last thing that you would associate with being reporters. They're not curious. They're not interested in the truth. They are the ones looking for easy comments. They're the ones looking for easy controversy, by invoking me. They're the lazy ones. They're the ones trying to get noticed.

I have 47 seconds here and every drat one of these people had the same comment. There's no uniqueness, no originality in these people. They're just a bunch of followers. I simply asked an associated question: Would it be accepted if the movie of The Life and Times of Barack Obama was cast, pick your white guy. I picked Mel Gibson because he's universally reviled in Hollywood right now, just to tweak 'em, but pick anybody, pick any white actor, pick Clooney. Clooney would be honored, by the way, to do it. Pick Clooney.

Do you think that the Al Sharptons of the world would sit idly by and applaud it? So here's the question. We know that it wouldn't be acceptable. We know that it would be immediately attacked. Why is it universally proper and okay and justified to attack a white actor portraying a black guy, but when a black actor portrays an obvious white character, we're supposed to say, "Hey, yeah, that's fine and cool," and anybody that says, "No, we shouldn't do that," is immediately branded a racist.

This is the kind of thing, folks, that most people won't dare say 'cause they don't want to have to deal with idiots like these TV people making comments about 'em. I frankly -- and it may be to my detriment -- don't care. A lot of people, "You know, you ought to care, Rush, you ought to go after these people. I mean, they're out there." I don't care. It never has -- well, the first two years I didn't know how to deal with it, it bothered me, but after that, I don't care. Especially when you consider the source.

The idea that there is racism behind this is, frankly, absurd. This is how they shut people up. This is why, I contend to you, that with the right candidate, conservative candidate, you would find overwhelming bust-out support for that conservative candidate throughout and across a cross spectrum of this country.
Now, here's the next sound bite, and this is WPIX-TV eyeball 11 morning news in New York. The fill in coanchor Craig Treadway and the fill-in anchorette Lisa Mateo decided to discuss this.

TREADWAY: He also said that it's racist to probably point this out. You think?

MATEO: Yeah, I think so. Idris, I think, would be a great Bond. I would go run and see that. I'm a big fan.

TREADWAY: You could punch Limbaugh in the face.

MATEO: There you go!

RUSH: So let's now inflict a little violence on your host. It'd be perfectly fine to go punch Limbaugh in the face. And when I said it's probably racist to point this out, I was being facetious but I said it with full knowledge of how these clowns were gonna accept it because they're mind-numbed robots. They are programmed, however it's happened in their lives, to automatically react this way, to the point that you cannot have any kind of a conversation about this.

It's like I told you earlier, a friend of mine sent me an e-mail over the weekend. I think it was during the Bengals-Indianapolis Colts game, or as Phil Simms says, the Colts. Yeah. It was the Bengals and the Colts, as Phil Simms says. And this guy sends me a note, says, "You know, Rush, is it racist to say I don't like female sideline reporters like this?" And I said probably. He said sexist. I said in this day and age you're not allowed to say that. If you say that you don't like female sideline reporters, then no question, depending who you are if you say it, it's definitely sexist and anti-women if you say that. He said, "But I don't dislike women. I love women, probably too much." Well, if you love women probably too much, then you gotta have no problem with wherever you find 'em, sir.

He said, "I don't know. I can't help but think I'm looking at groupies." Well, you said it, sir, not I. But it's the same thing. He was afraid to even talk about it. That's the point, because of the labels.

I've just been handed something. What is this? Oh, yeah. By the way, this is nothing new. This is back in 1990. It's the New York Times: "Actors' Equity denied permission yesterday for the English actor Jonathan Pryce," who, by the way, played a Bond villain. He also played Henry Kravis in Barbarians at the Gate on HBO with James Garner. "Actors' Equity denied permission yesterday for the English actor Jonathan Pryce to appear on Broadway next spring in the role of the Eurasian pimp that he created in the hit London musical 'Miss Saigon.'''

In the London production, he did portray a Eurasian pimp, but the Actors' Equity denied permission for him to play that role on Broadway in New York because he's not Asian. They had to go out and find a real Asian to play the pimp because he wasn't. But when it comes to the other way around, "No problem. I'd love to see it. Why, yeah, it'd be cool," whatever.

BREAK TRANSCRIPT

RUSH: How about Matt Damon as Shaft? Quick. What was Shaft's first name? John Shaft. That's right. Way to go, Mr. Snerdley. He was a bad... Isaac Hayes characterized it. I will go no further. You rest easy in there, Dawn. How about Matt Affleck, that will cover both those guys. Matt Affleck as Shaft. (laughing)
http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2015/01/05/mind_numbed_media_robots_call_my_bond_comments_racist
He has a real knack for this I think. Who would Limbaugh cast as himself in a portrayal of his rise to prominence I wonder? :allears:

BONUS: David Duke on O'Reily :haw:

agent_wildflower
Sep 7, 2011

kik2dagroin posted:

RUSH: Yeah, but it depends on how afraid of him they remain. I mean, the old saw about if you're gonna take the king out you better succeed, 'cause if you don't, and he's still around, you're gone.

John Boehner: You come at the king, you best not miss.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

He gets so close to the actual reason why those articles rightfully call out his racism (that recasting fictional characters as different races isn't the same thing as his examples which all involve turning real people into different races) but never addresses it, instead choosing to play the POOR OPPRESSED ME card instead of acknowledging the issue. Classic.

And this poo poo with the nutjobs calling for Boehner is some fantastic right-wing cannibalism I thought we wouldn't get to see until the primaries :unsmigghh:

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

SedanChair posted:

However, The Mars Volta sounds like a good rock band, and Palin sounds like the mom from Bobby's World hooked up to a fuckin' two-stroke engine.

Hahaha, loving a.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

SedanChair posted:

Only 90s kids have this reason to get annoyed by Palin...

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Sharkie posted:

Only 90s kids have this reason to get annoyed by Palin...

Remember the episode when a tiny Andrew Dice Clay moved next door and it turned into a very special episode about child abuse?

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
The local AM talker who is unaffiliated republican hack was talking about Louie Gohmert as speaker yesterday and referred to him as a punching bag for the left. The left just likes to pick on poor Louie Gohmert for some reason...he's a good dude though. :iiam:

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
Even by the low standards of county politics this was pretty dumb move;

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...-authorization/

Yep, no way threatening to sue a reporter for using "MY NAME" will backfire.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Radio Nowhere posted:

Even by the low standards of county politics this was pretty dumb move;

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...-authorization/

Yep, no way threatening to sue a reporter for using "MY NAME" will backfire.

DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM?

Well, now I do. :buddy:

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Republicans posted:

Remember the episode when a tiny Andrew Dice Clay moved next door and it turned into a very special episode about child abuse?

...did this actually happen?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Limbaugh posted:

James Bond isn't black.

Christ. He did it again. He used real people in his analogy ("what if Tom Cruise played Obama or Gwenyth Paltrow played Michelle?"). If Idris Elba was cast to play Abe Lincoln, Ronald Reagan or Dwight Eisenhower, he might have a point but he's not saying that. Conversely, if Ian McKellan was cast as Nelson Mandela or Patrick Stewart as Ghandi, the analogy might hole.

Wonder how Rush feels about Annie being remade? "She's WHITE with RED hair!! Period!"

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

BiggerBoat posted:

Christ. He did it again. He used real people in his analogy ("what if Tom Cruise played Obama or Gwenyth Paltrow played Michelle?"). If Idris Elba was cast to play Abe Lincoln, Ronald Reagan or Dwight Eisenhower, he might have a point but he's not saying that. Conversely, if Ian McKellan was cast as Nelson Mandela or Patrick Stewart as Ghandi, the analogy might hole.

Wonder how Rush feels about Annie being remade? "She's WHITE with RED hair!! Period!"

He did bring up Shaft, which is amazingly enough not a horrible point. Shaft's blackness is a totally inalienable part of his character and folks would be offended if you whitewashed a remake. James Bond's race is not an essential part of the character so I still don't think that the comparison works well but fictional/nonfictional isn't the only distinction that has to be drawn. Some fictional characters are on the same side of the line as historical people.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Sure, that might hold water if, say, James Bond being educated at a university in a time it was impossible for a black person to do so and it was an essential part of the character of plot, but there's absolutely nothing essential to the character that would change if Idris Elba played him.

Related (albeit in a more geeky fashion), yesterday it came to my attention that they're planning a live action remake of the Ghost in the Shell animes and Scarlett Johanson is apparently cast in the main role. I don't know how I should feel about that, because the original is Japanese, of course. I guess it would be fine if they set the remake in a futuristic New York/USA, but if the stay true to the original and set it in Tokyo/Japan I feel an asian actress would be more appropriate.

Which also reminds me of that new Moses film, Exodus: Gods and Kings, in which the main characters are all white, which raised a few eyebrows if I recall correctly. I'm guessing Limbaugh and others didn't raise a stink about that, though?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Taeke posted:

Which also reminds me of that new Moses film, Exodus: Gods and Kings, in which the main characters are all white, which raised a few eyebrows if I recall correctly. I'm guessing Limbaugh and others didn't raise a stink about that, though?

What's to raise a stink about? The proper skin color was expressed :smuggo:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Taeke posted:

Sure, that might hold water if, say, James Bond being educated at a university in a time it was impossible for a black person to do so and it was an essential part of the character of plot, but there's absolutely nothing essential to the character that would change if Idris Elba played him.

But of course that's exactly why no one is suggesting a remake of American History X or Gone With The Wind with an all-black main cast.

CommieGIR posted:

What's to raise a stink about? The proper skin color was expressed :smuggo:

Yeah funny how I don't remember any conservative bitching about "authenticity" when Anglo heartthrob Ben Affleck played real-historical-hispanic-person Antonio Mendez in Argo.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

People went out of their way to defend Affleck because the real life guy looks pretty white.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

BiggerBoat posted:

Screw that - one kid singing is as annoying as another.

The true crime is making All-American, Noble Mutt Sandy into a shiba inu! Hollywood multiculturalism at it's finest!

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
James Bond has mostly been old white men getting a license to act like Shaft anyway.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
:laffo: at Rush :qq:-ing about how his audience is tired of him being called racist. Uh, maybe if you didn't blow the racist foghorns so often people wouldn't call you racist so much?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Apparently right wing media has their finger on the pulse of the zeitgeist. Gohmert is totally going to be speaker with all 2 of his votes.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Phone posted:

Apparently right wing media has their finger on the pulse of the zeitgeist. Gohmert is totally going to be speaker with all 2 of his votes.

:catstare: Oh god no.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Phone posted:

Can you expand upon this, what's going on?

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Tab8715 posted:

Boehner's still speaker, Gohmert only got 2 votes.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Tab8715 posted:

Hannity and a few other talkers had segments about how Boehner could possibly go down, and Gohmert was just the crafty political genius to do it. He ended up getting 1 vote + himself. Usually the right wing talkers are wrong, but not usually in this much of a staggering, provable, and immediate fashion.

It would be terrible if people were to tease Hannity about this on Twitter, and then post his replies here. That would be against all decorum, and I just couldn't stand for it.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Darn it, the next few years would have been hilarious if Gohmert were to have won.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

Tab8715 posted:

Darn it, the next few years would have been hilarious if Gohmert were to have won.

In what universe does Gohmert win?

ErIog fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jan 6, 2015

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Dick Morris has once again lead me astray with his prediction of a landslide Gohmert victory.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

ErIog posted:

In what universe does Gohmert win? All splitting does is hand the speakership to the other side.

I can only imagine what a disaster having Gohmert as speaker would be to the Republican Party and how enjoyable the evening news would become. Don't what you mean by splitting.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Tab8715 posted:

I can only imagine what a disaster having Gohmert as speaker would be to the Republican Party and how enjoyable the evening news would become. Don't what you mean by splitting.

I really kinda wanted it to happen to watch the Tea Party both pat themselves on the back and their heads explode as Ghomert pulled down his pants and poo poo on everything.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

Tab8715 posted:

Nevermind, I'm dumb.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Jazerus posted:

James Bond's race is not an essential part of the character so I still don't think that the comparison works well but fictional/nonfictional isn't the only distinction that has to be drawn. Some fictional characters are on the same side of the line as historical people.

I don't know that that's really true. James Bond is kind of a ridiculous chauvinist creature, in a way that really only makes sense if he's a white guy. I mean, if we accept that Shaft is an essentially black character, than what would an essentially white character look like, if not James Bond? He's like colonialist swagger personified.

I say this actually liking the idea of Idris Elba as James Bond, mainly because I don't think James Bond is relevant or interesting or worth preserving, and I think it could be cool and subversive. Of course chauvinist white guys hate the idea of the chauvinist white icon being chipped away at by a changing culture.

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Dear Mr Cave, if you do not release the bats we will be forced to take legal action
What if they were making a film about Bob Dylan's life and they cast a little black boy and a woman to play him?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

swampland posted:

What if they were making a film about Bob Dylan's life and they cast a little black boy and a woman to play him?

is this the joke?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I%27m_Not_There

im explaining the joke now

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Everyone knows that James Bond is a code name passed down among many agents, like M or Q, anyway :colbert:

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

:laffo: at Rush :qq:-ing about how his audience is tired of him being called racist. Uh, maybe if you didn't blow the racist foghorns so often people wouldn't call you racist so much?

Remember, you're only racist if you're a dues paying KKK member, and even then if you say 'just kidding' or decide to stop you're immediately absolved of any responsibility

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

BiggerBoat posted:

What if we just cast Ben Kingsley instead?

Also I don't remember anyone protesting White Catholic Jim Caviezel playing Jesus Christ.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.
Ooh poo poo

Rush Limbaugh posted:

and remember, if she's moaning, then she's digging it.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

icantfindaname posted:

Remember, you're only racist if you're a dues paying KKK member, and even then if you say 'just kidding' or decide to stop you're immediately absolved of any responsibility

Unless you're black. Then, unless you denounce every other black person as a lazy welfare thug, you're just as racist as Hitler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Vriess posted:

Ooh poo poo

Explains all the moaning going on in every RW circle over Obama's big black agenda.