Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

After GW released the ork codex, I kind of stopped paying attention. Have I missed anything of note?

Pretty much business as usual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

After GW released the ork codex, I kind of stopped paying attention. Have I missed anything of note?

nope

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

30k sounds super cool, Mechanicus sounds super cool, my girlfriend is going to hate me and it's all your guy's fault.

e: Do I need both 30k books or just the relevant one?
e2: What's a decent selection of units that I can start an army with? I want to know the price point I'll be looking at and how long I'll be saving.

Drythe fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jan 6, 2015

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Sulecrist posted:

Play It Painted 2015.

This has been my rule for the past two years and it makes a huge difference. I currently think about the models I have in terms of what's painted. Also it's rad seeing a painted army come together--the hardest part is getting through the 2 Troops and 1 HQ choice, but once you have those out of the way, it's a much more pleasurable experience.

Related note: I am currently painting the sorcerer. Will be done by Friday.

Something that helps, by the way--Paint, then assemble! You can't play with an unassembled model either and models look better when you can easily paint the whole thing.

SoftDrink
Nov 16, 2013

I love the look of the 30k Solar Auxilia. But im going to start up a Blood Angel 30k army so i can use some of it for normal 40K.

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
All this base fuckery makes me feel better about taking my 2nd Ed Tyranids out on their square bases. Though I'm dreading the inevitable accusations of using them to game LoS advantage.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Blood Angels got released and they made assault marines not troops anymore. Hams cried.

That's about it.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Tyranids got an apology update that makes them a lot better. The other updates have been decent but nothing groundbreaking.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Slimnoid posted:

With termies it made sense that they went to 40mm because that was when the new (at the time) plastic kit came out, and their foot span was more than a 25mm could really handle realistically. Dreads going to 60mm rounds was more a general streamlining because EVERYTHING in 40k uses rounded bases--even bikes eventually got them, though GW had an article way back when on how to make cavalry bases with rounded ends.

Those are both obvious examples using common sense. Putting the new BA tacs on 30mm, warriors on 50mm, and carnifexes on oval bases without even so much as a cough about it is just another example of GW's continuing lack of communication to their customers.

Yeah, my problem with it is that instead of simply saying what they're doing, they're leaving a grey area as to what base models should be on. And there really should not be any grey area in the correct way to build their kits so that they work within the rules. The basing guidance on page 9 of the rulebook doesn't cover what they are doing here.

Well, no, it actually does, but the GW published army pictures are contradicting it.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

TheChirurgeon posted:

This has been my rule for the past two years and it makes a huge difference. I currently think about the models I have in terms of what's painted. Also it's rad seeing a painted army come together--the hardest part is getting through the 2 Troops and 1 HQ choice, but once you have those out of the way, it's a much more pleasurable experience.

Related note: I am currently painting the sorcerer. Will be done by Friday.

Something that helps, by the way--Paint, then assemble! You can't play with an unassembled model either and models look better when you can easily paint the whole thing.

I can't get behind painting them assembling; I did it for my Orks back when and was not a fan. I do think that assembling one unit, then painting that unit is the way to go though. When you've got 80 Guardsmen staring at you from your painting table, it's intimidating, and even if you paint 10, that looks like a drop in the bucket. Your stuff owns though, so I can't fault your methods!

Ignite Memories posted:

Do tauroxes more closely resemble the ork trukk or the ork battlewagon in profile? Something about those proportions just grips me as orky.
Kitbash them with Trukks and make Halftrakks.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Indolent Bastard posted:

Blood Angels got released and they made assault marines not troops anymore. GW white knights tried to claim that a BA-specific tac marine set with BA BITZ~! more than made up for the loss of a troops unit that had been a key component of the previous two BA codexes.

That's about it.

FTFY :v:

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

We're people really surprised by that? The new edition seemed firmly in the camp of no more FoC shenanigans in favor of different force charts with different allocations. Like the blood angel FoC with tons of elite choices in place of troops. I'm sure when Dark Angels get redone there will be FoC's with 6 elite or fast attack choices instead of taking terms or bikes as troops.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Cooked Auto posted:

Yeah when you point out that thing it's slightly less appealing, even if all I really wanted was the wheel mounts since the only one I've seen available is a 6 wheeler when I just want it to be a 4 wheeler because I think it fits the design lot better.

I got a couple of scatter blocks from Zinge as freebies for a kickstarter they did the casting on, they're really not that bad.

Also the Victoria kit is 4 wheels as well http://victoriaminiatures.highwire.com/product/apc-wheel-and-suspension-kit

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

We're people really surprised by that? The new edition seemed firmly in the camp of no more FoC shenanigans in favor of different force charts with different allocations. Like the blood angel FoC with tons of elite choices in place of troops. I'm sure when Dark Angels get redone there will be FoC's with 6 elite or fast attack choices instead of taking terms or bikes as troops.

It wasn't "shenanigans", though, like taking a warboss to make a unit of nobz troops. They just HAD troops with assault packs, and now they don't.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
gently caress me dead, here we go

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Big Willy Style posted:

The great circle of life hams.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

I want every Mechanicum model, help me. Mostly help my wallet. :shepspends:

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
blood angels can no longer do a thing they used to be able to do, some people are ok with this and some are not, let's talk about 30k again

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Man, that had best not be Sigismund because that's a lame-rear end model. It ain't got poo poo on Helbrecht.

Edit:

Mango Polo posted:

Nah, it's the upcoming Command Set.
Welp, nevermind then. I saw the fist logos and figured their only unique thing left was Sigismund. It makes sense that it's just a generic command set that happens to have Imperial Fist shoulder pads on it. I checked out the actual bulletin and it turns out it's a Fists-specific command set?

Safety Factor fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jan 6, 2015

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Safety Factor posted:

Man, that had best not be Sigismund because that's a lame-rear end model. It ain't got poo poo on Helbrecht.

Nah, it's the upcoming Command Set.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Big Willy Style posted:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah I know of the Victoria kit but the biggest dealbreaker for me when it comes to that one is the price as I have mentioned before. I was looking at the Zinge kit as a more affordable option which it kinda is in my case.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I'm sure when Dark Angels get redone there will be FoC's with 6 elite or fast attack choices instead of taking terms or bikes as troops.

I wouldn't be surprised if they get the inverse of BA--bikes and termies becoming troops, rather than alternate FoC's. It'd certainly solve some problems that the SM book doesn't have.

Total pipe dream though.

I wish he was easier to mod because drat I'd love to use him as an Inquisitor.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

SRM posted:

Kitbash them with Trukks and make Halftrakks.

Noo but then I would have yet another trukk to fill with expensive crap

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

All spelling and grammar errors should be pointed out with Rogue Trader era artwork.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Ignite Memories posted:

Don't worry you can quit whenever you want. Right?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Cooked Auto posted:

Yeah I know of the Victoria kit but the biggest dealbreaker for me when it comes to that one is the price as I have mentioned before. I was looking at the Zinge kit as a more affordable option which it kinda is in my case.

Then you should be fine, Zinge makes nice quality casts and the blocks aren't as bad as they look

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

How do people feel about the ramshackle half-ute? I was thinking if I added a gun[ner?] on top and extended the rear cab vertically it would be a pretty similar profile to the ork trukk. Of course I'd also need to bash it up a little and add teeth how you do.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Ignite Memories posted:

Yeah, especially when you can throw some gubbinz on this one http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000IVMRO8/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1420574321&sr=8-1&dpPl=1&dpID=31D64O6bXNL&ref=plSrch

And krump in style.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Ignite Memories posted:

How do people feel about the ramshackle half-ute? I was thinking if I added a gun[ner?] on top and extended the rear cab vertically it would be a pretty similar profile to the ork trukk. Of course I'd also need to bash it up a little and add teeth how you do.

Those would be perfect. I've not gotten anything from them yet, but I'm told their casting quality is pretty solid, so I'd say go for it.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

NTRabbit posted:

Then you should be fine, Zinge makes nice quality casts and the blocks aren't as bad as they look

Good to know if anything.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Ignite Memories posted:

Ramshackle stuff is pretty legit, and very Orky looking out of the box. With a little Orky TLC that'd look great.

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009
Forgeworld continues to be rad. In IA:13, the Greater Brass Scorpion is technically only available to CSM. This is a big change, since you could previously take them as a Lord of War for Chaos Daemons as well. I shot off an email about it, and got a response today -

Some cool dude posted:

Thank you for your email. The Great Brass Scorpion should also have the Chaos Daemon Stamp as well.
Pretty pleased about this, since I wanted to run a list built entirely around making the bug a near invincible jerk, and today my dream comes true.

(It is a poor dream, since I know some goddamn Knight is going to wander over and smack it with a proper Destroyer hit, negating my planned 2++ before I even swing.)

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

ProfessorCurly posted:

Encountered a Seer Council w/ invisibility on bikes. I was playing what I thought was a dead-hard Tau list.

Send help. Or dice with nothing but sixes.

Invis is pretty rough. Bring Markerlights.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Yo Buffchix, this is pertinent to your Admech Squats:
http://ironsleet.com/2015/01/06/harder-than-steel-squat-exo-unit/

I just want to see a conversion like this done as the characters from Exosquad :allears:

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

AbusePuppy posted:

Hmm. Magos Dominus, an Adsecularis Covenant with the fixin's, a unit of three Thrallax, a unit of two Castellax with a few toys, and a Thanatar leaves you ~400pts to play with. That could get you several more big scary robots, more Thrallax or some Myrmidons for firepower, a crapload more expendable chumps, some angry tractors to shoot lasers at enemy tanks, and/or upgrade your Magos to a Magos Prime and give him some cool toys. If you really wanna push the big robits theme, you could take the named character robit HQ, who is actually pretty scary. Basically, pick any two of those (or pick one and double down on it) and you'd be pretty close to having a 1250 army.

Angry Tractors sound great, what are they?

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Lungboy posted:

Angry Tractors sound great, what are they?

Krios Battle Tanks.

Alternatively, the Triaros Armoured Conveyer.

The true secret of Mars is that everyone there has a tractor fetish.

Mango Polo fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jan 6, 2015

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
All of mankind's war machines are based on farm equipment

Drythe posted:

30k sounds super cool, Mechanicus sounds super cool, my girlfriend is going to hate me and it's all your guy's fault.

e: Do I need both 30k books or just the relevant one?
e2: What's a decent selection of units that I can start an army with? I want to know the price point I'll be looking at and how long I'll be saving.

Just get the pack of 2 little red books, or if you wanna save money, just the crusade army list (cheaper than a 40K codex at $45)- one has the army list and unit options while the other has all the legion rules so far. The big books are amazing, but you need all 3 for a complete list. So unless you are gay for fluff spend that money on your army instead.

What you need to get started:
  • 1-2 HQs
  • 20-50 marines, no special weapons. Some of them can have jump packs if you really want.
  • 2-4 sergeants with power weapons
  • 1-3 apothecaries
  • 1-3 rhinos (if you plan to use them)
  • 1-3 drop pods (if you plan to use them)

All of that you can do with regular old 40k marines, conversions, or bits on ebay. If you go hog wild with forgeworld kits it will cost a lot more. I suggest you get the books, plan our your army, and then decide what you want to buy. There's a ton of options which will dictate what you need. For example, you could totally just rock 1 hq and 2 x5 man tactical squads. That's right, a legal army of 11 models.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Get on WIC. Cheese, crackers, cereal, formula, and peanut butter are your most expensive commodities when raising a kid, and the state pays for those. Kids aren't that bad buy some pewter mans.

BULBASAUR posted:

All of mankind's war machines are based on farm equipment

Just get the pack of 2 little red books, or if you wanna save money, just the crusade army list (cheaper than a 40K codex at $45)- one has the army list and unit options while the other has all the legion rules so far. The big books are amazing, but you need all 3 for a complete list. So unless you are gay for fluff spend that money on your army instead.

What you need to get started:
  • 1-2 HQs
  • 20-50 marines, no special weapons. Some of them can have jump packs if you really want.
  • 2-4 sergeants with power weapons
  • 1-3 apothecaries
  • 1-3 rhinos (if you plan to use them)
  • 1-3 drop pods (if you plan to use them)

All of that you can do with regular old 40k marines, conversions, or bits on ebay. If you go hog wild with forgeworld kits it will cost a lot more. I suggest you get the books, plan our your army, and then decide what you want to buy. There's a ton of options which will dictate what you need. For example, you could totally just rock 1 hq and 2 x5 man tactical squads. That's right, a legal army of 11 models.

A small, legal army that would get minced in ~3 turns?

• Locked thread