Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

feedmegin posted:

Check that it doesn't have telnet and ftp enabled by default in inetd in TYOL 2014 like the one I just set up a few months ago did :sun:

It could always be worse. It could be HP-UX, which started a couple hundred services on a default install with a full packageset last time I tried it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

evol262 posted:

It could always be worse. It could be HP-UX, which started a couple hundred services on a default install with a full packageset last time I tried it.
Mac OS X:

code:
castamere :: ~ » sudo launchctl list | awk '{print $2}' | grep 0 | wc -l

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Being able to distill down information is a useful skill, don't dismiss it. Your boss may need to understand all 40 pages of technical details for the project, but his boss probably doesn't and that guy's boss almost certainly doesn't. They need just enough details to make an informed decision and it sounds like they trust you enough to determine what those details are. Provide your conclusions and explain the risks - full due diligence certainly needs to be done and that's why you've crafted your analysis to that level of detail, but most of it is likely irrelevant to the decision being made. If it turns out that one of those bullet points from one of those one page documents is a sticking point, they can always go back down the chain for more information.

Or think of it another way - how many departments at your level does the executive who's asking for the 1 page ppt oversee? Can they practically and cogently go through 40 page ppts from each of those departments? Chances are even after condensing everything to executive summaries, these guys are reading a lot more than the people under them. You're (probably) a smart person and it took you some effort to gain the level of understanding you have of the topic you're writing about. It would take superhuman abilities to reach that same level of understanding of however many disparate departments are putting out work, hence executive summaries.

:unsmith: that... was mildly encouraging

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Sickening posted:

I thing I find to be a head scratcher is how you even get caught doing it?

He picked the wrong professor to do it to-- the prof is super paranoid and tech savvy, so when the answers came back too similar to his key, he started digging around and asking the IT director if it was possible; lo and behold, a log is made on the accessed computer, pointing the finger at our guy. He was a good employee too, just a college student that made a bad decision really.

nielsm posted:

That can actually happen in reality?

It was a long, long time coming. Dude came in late nearly every day, watched netflix a majority of the day, left voicemails and emails for the next shift instead of logging them himself, and was basically dumb as a rock. He outright refused to learn to use a flash drive, just saying "I've never had much luck with flash drives..." and telling whomever that he couldn't fix their problem if it involved one in any way.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

:unsmith: that... was mildly encouraging

It was. And do look at it that way. They are trusting you to be able to deliver conclusions and recommendations to upper levels of management. That's a good thing.

I was more expressing the "HOW CAN I MAKE IT SIMPLER?" frustration many of us (well, OK, me) feel at times dealing with non-technical people. It's funny how we're able to call YEARS of context and experience "EVERYONE KNOWS THIS"

Executive summaries, as a whole, are a good thing. They get information in front of the decision makers. And good ones will ask for clarification if they need it.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

flosofl posted:

I never trusted those swoopy clip art presenters. I always felt they were trying to pull a "pay no attention to the man behind the curtain" move.

Just a nice tasteful, neutral gradient with a company approved logo in corner. Maybe bullet points that appear one at time if you're feeling fancy. And label the graph axes and put them on their own slide. I don't want to need a goddamn telescope to read it, when it's buried on page cluttered with bullet points and clip art.

A graph like this? I feel like this is a straightforward and not-deceptive-at-all graph that communicates the message perfectly.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Che Delilas posted:

A graph like this? I feel like this is a straightforward and not-deceptive-at-all graph that communicates the message perfectly.

Haha. Doing that or using a log scale to disguise context is perfectly acceptable if I'm the one doing it :)

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years

feedmegin posted:

Check that it doesn't have telnet and ftp enabled by default in inetd in TYOL 2014 like the one I just set up a few months ago did :sun:

Hey thanks. It does, and I knew it did. I was going to see if that was really needed.

edit: I mean if the telnet really needed to be enabled on that server for legacy reasons. It's been enabled on the box since I started there ~9 years ago

Danith fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jan 5, 2015

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

CloFan posted:

It was a long, long time coming. Dude came in late nearly every day, watched netflix a majority of the day, left voicemails and emails for the next shift instead of logging them himself, and was basically dumb as a rock. He outright refused to learn to use a flash drive, just saying "I've never had much luck with flash drives..." and telling whomever that he couldn't fix their problem if it involved one in any way.

What the gently caress does learning to use a flash drive even entail beyond plugging it in?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Inspector_666 posted:

What the gently caress does learning to use a flash drive even entail beyond plugging it in?

Being able to use Explorer. That's very complicated you know.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I've been waiting for any excuse to post this:

Also. Please. No clipart.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
I either dodged a long-term bullet or denied myself a growth opportunity just now.

Got someone interested in my resume - an internal recruiter at an MSP in Manhattan. I'd actually talked to the guy back in 2012 when I was trying to leave my then-MSP job. Didn't pan out - it'd have been more of the same when I wanted sysadmin, which I eventually got elsewhere.

They wanted a team lead - running a team of 5-6 IT techs, and help them make a case to bring in another resource solely for the networking part. I'd be doing some client interaction - relationship management, that sort of thing.

This is when a Citrix recruiter wants to talk to me for that senior tech relationship management role, so it's not like I'm averse to being the client guy, it's just that I had an eyebrow raised at the tech team lead/technical escalation point/manager role alongside the relationship management thing.

I tried the deferring talk about salary - "To be honest, I'd like to see how I can help you best and where the challenges lie before we go heavily into numbers." Also, I brought forth that the commute would involve four trains, three transfers - train to Newark, PATH to Journal Square, transfer at PATH to 33rd, subway from 33rd to Rockefeller Center.

I pushed to see if they'd let me work some days remotely going into a full-time remote thing, and they came back saying they'd be willing to do a couple days a week remotely. I just couldn't quite get that transfer count out of my head.

Anyone with some MS and maybe VMware certs, or equivalent experience, interested in the role? They expressed willingness to go into six figures. For me, honestly, it's too much of a commute, but your mileage and willingness may vary.

MJP fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jan 6, 2015

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

flosofl posted:

It was. And do look at it that way. They are trusting you to be able to deliver conclusions and recommendations to upper levels of management. That's a good thing.

I was more expressing the "HOW CAN I MAKE IT SIMPLER?" frustration many of us (well, OK, me) feel at times dealing with non-technical people. It's funny how we're able to call YEARS of context and experience "EVERYONE KNOWS THIS"

Executive summaries, as a whole, are a good thing. They get information in front of the decision makers. And good ones will ask for clarification if they need it.

"If you can't explain it to a 6 year old, you don't understand it yourself." - some smart guy

I like this because I imagine my audience are all 6 year olds.

Bhodi posted:

:aaaaa:

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Bhodi posted:

Saved

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

MJP posted:

I either dodged a long-term bullet or denied myself a growth opportunity just now.

Got someone interested in my resume - an internal recruiter at an MSP in Manhattan. I'd actually talked to the guy back in 2012 when I was trying to leave my then-MSP job. Didn't pan out - it'd have been more of the same when I wanted sysadmin, which I eventually got elsewhere.

They wanted a team lead - running a team of 5-6 IT techs, and help them make a case to bring in another resource solely for the networking part. I'd be doing some client interaction - relationship management, that sort of thing.

This is when a Citrix recruiter wants to talk to me for that senior tech relationship management role, so it's not like I'm averse to being the client guy, it's just that I had an eyebrow raised at the tech team lead/technical escalation point/manager role alongside the relationship management thing.

I tried the deferring talk about salary - "To be honest, I'd like to see how I can help you best and where the challenges lie before we go heavily into numbers." Also, I brought forth that the commute would involve four trains, three transfers - train to Newark, PATH to Journal Square, transfer at PATH to 33rd, subway from 33rd to Rockefeller Center.

I pushed to see if they'd let me work some days remotely going into a full-time remote thing, and they came back saying they'd be willing to do a couple days a week remotely. I just couldn't quite get that transfer count out of my head.

Anyone with some MS and maybe VMware certs, or equivalent experience, interested in the role? They expressed willingness to go into six figures. For me, honestly, it's too much of a commute, but your mileage and willingness may vary.
Where are you commuting from? Can't you take NJ Transit from Newark straight into Penn and take the 10 minute walk up to Rockefeller Center?

I used to do LIRR 90 minutes each way plus the walk up. I got more exercise then than any other point in my professional life, and the commute really was kind of enjoyable once you take stupid train transfers out of the equation.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Misogynist posted:

Where are you commuting from? Can't you take NJ Transit from Newark straight into Penn and take the 10 minute walk up to Rockefeller Center?

I used to do LIRR 90 minutes each way plus the walk up. I got more exercise then than any other point in my professional life, and the commute really was kind of enjoyable once you take stupid train transfers out of the equation.

Yeah the northeast corridor line goes from Newark Penn to New York Penn in probably under 20 minute once you get on.
Depends on how far out from Newark you are though, it could be a bit of a trek and there are a ton of Indian professionals in Edison that use it to take to their jobs in the city so it sucks if you have to go during rush hours. If you can push the commute back a bit till when its not busy you get the nicer trains and it could be a relaxing ride if you bring a book, video game or listen to podcasts.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

Contingency posted:

Raise negotiations

Asked for 30%. Got 20% and a modest title adjustment. Not quite what I asked for, but it's market wages. The plan now is to knock out some certs and ask about that title increase in a year.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

Red posted:

I only bring up coding because certification testing/classes talk about it a lot.

What might someone in IT recommend for someone in my position?

Never, ever touch it. I manage our SharePoint for a small company of 50 users. I've been working in Microsoft IT for 9 years, all my MS certs are old (MCSA 2003) but I work on server 2012 daily.
I've never had any SharePoint training and I'm no SharePoint expert. I can do the basics like add pages, backup/restore databases, gently caress with permissions, etc. But every 6-12 months it seems to break itself catastrophically to the point where google is not helping and I have to call Microsoft. Or it gets some exciting bug that requires an entire server rebuild (advised by Microsoft), thats happened twice now.

The latest "feature" was that I've had to take away everyone's delete permissions, because every month or so, someone would somehow delete the entire document library and I would walk around the office going onto everyone's machines until I found it in their recycle bin and restored it. This has happened once with a 3rd line guy and twice with 2nd line guys so at this point I'm not blaming the people, I'm blaming the product.

Now every time someone needs a file deleted, they need to see me :(

Ahdinko fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Jan 6, 2015

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Contingency posted:

Asked for 30%. Got 20% and a modest title adjustment. Not quite what I asked for, but it's market wages. The plan now is to knock out some certs and ask about that title increase in a year.

Title doesn't matter unless your company ties pay scales to it

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
Adjusting from retail is hard, I almost feel guilty for not constantly doing something. Downtime is a strange and new concept.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Ahdinko posted:

Never, ever touch it. I manage our SharePoint for a small company of 50 users. I've been working in Microsoft IT for 9 years, all my MS certs are old (MCSA 2003) but I work on server 2012 daily.
I've never had any SharePoint training and I'm no SharePoint expert. I can do the basics like add pages, backup/restore databases, gently caress with permissions, etc. But every 6-12 months it seems to break itself catastrophically to the point where google is not helping and I have to call Microsoft. Or it gets some exciting bug that requires an entire server rebuild (advised by Microsoft), thats happened twice now.

The latest "feature" was that I've had to take away everyone's delete permissions, because every month or so, someone would somehow delete the entire document library and I would walk around the office going onto everyone's machines until I found it in their recycle bin and restored it. This has happened once with a 3rd line guy and twice with 2nd line guys so at this point I'm not blaming the people, I'm blaming the product.

Now every time someone needs a file deleted, they need to see me :(

It should be going into the Site Collection Recycle Bin, unless it's changed. I don't know the specifics but there are SharePoint Certs.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

evol262 posted:

Title doesn't matter unless your company ties pay scales to it

Titles certainly do matter--if you are applying for a III position, it's less of an uphill battle to be a II/III applying than a I. It's also important to keep pace with others in your company, lest your overinflated peer over in ABC Division one day becomes the underqualified boss in yours.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

Tab8715 posted:

It should be going into the Site Collection Recycle Bin, unless it's changed. I don't know the specifics but there are SharePoint Certs.

I get an unexpected error if I try to restore something from the site recycle bin. Its just hosed.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Contingency posted:

Titles certainly do matter--if you are applying for a III position, it's less of an uphill battle to be a II/III applying than a I. It's also important to keep pace with others in your company, lest your overinflated peer over in ABC Division one day becomes the underqualified boss in yours.
Elaborating on this, for this reason, it communicates that the company values your professional development more than it believes you're a flight risk.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Drunk Orc posted:

Adjusting from retail is hard, I almost feel guilty for not constantly doing something. Downtime is a strange and new concept.

Absolutely. After years of either finding something to do, or just being busy, I found it very hard to deal with downtime. I turned that into research, tech news, and online IT communities (this thread and some linked in groups are good too) so I can stay sharp and on top of things.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

mayodreams posted:

Absolutely. After years of either finding something to do, or just being busy, I found it very hard to deal with downtime. I turned that into research, tech news, and online IT communities (this thread and some linked in groups are good too) so I can stay sharp and on top of things.
I used to spend my time here and on Server Fault and Stack Overflow trying to find the answers to questions I had no idea about but thought were interesting. I probably learned most of what I know about Linux that way.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Drunk Orc posted:

Hah, this was my exact thought also. Landed an entry level helpdesk job about 2 and a half months ago and it's definitely weird sitting in an office chair reading for certs online/browsing the internet during downtime instead of having to walk around aisles aimlessly trying to look busy.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
I'm glad it's not just me! I should've brought my Sec+ study guide. Maybe I can get away with watching LabSim videos.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Drunk Orc posted:

I'm glad it's not just me! I should've brought my Sec+ study guide. Maybe I can get away with watching LabSim videos.

I should really find a way to turn my desk around so I have my back to a wall. That way I'd never feel guilty when other people pass me by :v:

I don't really feel guilty anyway because I do my work

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I moved from a position where I was working all tiers of support to one where it's basically impossible for anything to be escalated to me. I don't even do anything for users, I'm just working on systems that another group uses to provide services to users. It's such a weird shift for me.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

FISHMANPET posted:

I moved from a position where I was working all tiers of support to one where it's basically impossible for anything to be escalated to me. I don't even do anything for users, I'm just working on systems that another group uses to provide services to users. It's such a weird shift for me.

This is my next step in my career. To get out of user-facing support.

Basically, to just get out of helpdesk I guess :v:

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I should really find a way to turn my desk around so I have my back to a wall. That way I'd never feel guilty when other people pass me by :v:

Right? It's not like anyone can bitch at me considering I cleared out a backlog of tickets from as far back as August in 2 days. Granted, there were only like 20 of them.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

This is what i'm doing. I've done all my work today so i'm sat here reading a couple of the threads and i'll probably head home an hour early. No real point in me warming a chair for an extra hour, i'll go catch up on sleep instead.

A couple of my colleagues want me to come back onto helpdesk and steal some of their tickets, but i'd just be giving them back tomorrow morning once I get more work assigned so i'm not really seeing the point.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
So I have been talking to my manager about upward movement. My manager thinks I can definitely progress with the company (fortune 500, lots of opportunity to move up). Right now I am classified as an administrator, specializing in storage. I have been chatting with my boss about my job progress and things like certifications I should be focusing on (company pays for certs). My boss thinks I should focus on management, because as I progress upwards, my tools will become less and less technical and more and more people and processes. This scares me. For 16 years I have been technical. What do you guys think? I always looked at IT management as a scary place to be. You lose some of your tech skills and when times get tough youre the first to get cut. I dunno, I am open to opinions.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Syano posted:

You lose some of your tech skills and when times get tough youre the first to get cut.

Management decides who to cut...

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Syano posted:

So I have been talking to my manager about upward movement. My manager thinks I can definitely progress with the company (fortune 500, lots of opportunity to move up). Right now I am classified as an administrator, specializing in storage. I have been chatting with my boss about my job progress and things like certifications I should be focusing on (company pays for certs). My boss thinks I should focus on management, because as I progress upwards, my tools will become less and less technical and more and more people and processes. This scares me. For 16 years I have been technical. What do you guys think? I always looked at IT management as a scary place to be. You lose some of your tech skills and when times get tough youre the first to get cut. I dunno, I am open to opinions.

I think you have to figure out what "upward" means to you in terms of your career. If it's just climbing the corporate ladder at your current company, then yeah, you're probably going to reach a point where you aren't going to get any more money or benefits or things to do until you move into management.

But if you're happy with technical work, and happy with your compensation, why move to management? Just to satisfy someone's (usually a manager's) idea of what a career path should look like? Here's an alternative: broaden your technical skill set, dive deep into a specialization that isn't storage. Get a job at a different company doing something that's still technical but that isn't exactly what you're doing now.

My point is that a lot of people see management as a logical step in an overall career path. I don't. I see it as a completely separate career path. It's one I have no intention, at this point in my life, of ever going into (to be fair, I haven't been a technical professional for as long as you). If you are bored to tears with technical work, it might be a good choice since it is a whole different set of challenges, but if you still like working with technology you don't have to stop.

I wish I could give you specific ideas on what kind of technical work you could move into from "administrator, specializing in storage." I'm on the development side of things (hey, there's an idea) myself, but I'm sure other people in this thread will have some juicy thoughts. Just thought I'd give you my perspective on the whole "management as a career move" thing.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

mewse posted:

Management decides who to cut...

While this is true, in a Fortune 500 there are a LOT of levels between "random line manager" and "those who decide to cut thousands of jobs". But I guess you can't ever reach those levels if you don't start climbing :v:

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~
Hey, I'm a STEM non-CS/Engineering graduate now interested in pursuing software engineering as a career path. According to my EE and CS friends, the ideal path to being hired at a Fortune 500 tech is via on-campus recruitment. Unfortunately I have no formal CS training or courses, so I think my best bet is to pursue an MS in CS to "legitimize" myself as a software engineering candidate and because it would give me another shot at campus linked internships and offers. However I'm not sure how to fulfill the CS pre-reqs having already graduated, and I'd like to attend strong schools for my masters.

I've heard about the Oregon State online B.S in CS but I'm wary of online courses because of the reputation of diploma mills, etc. I know UC Berkeley offers continuing education courses in computer science however I'm not sure how schools will look at requirements being fulfilled at an extension school. UCB extension would be most convenient since I live close to campus and I'll be able to continue working full-time while enrolled.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

I hope it is not too little too late. IBM has a knack for making cool stuff and ruining it with licensing ( "We are only enterprise, so be prepared to pay us ridiculous amounts of money" ) or some other boneheaded move.

Lenovo bought their server division and in a couple of months I have seen more activity regarding former IBM servers on forums (Thinkserver TS140) than all the other years combined. I get that it is not fashionable to be on the low end, but if people buy your stuff and it leaves a good impression it will work its way up.

Mindshare is pretty important.
Lenovo bought System X. POWER and System Z is still very much still IBM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Danith posted:

So last week I was sitting around doing things and my boss came up and said our remaining AIX system is now my baby, here's the root password, and the AIX admin has been let go.

Uhh.. so just being thrown in there, my current role being more of a computer operator/dabbling in a bunch of other things position, any tips on what I should look at on the system?

I took an initial look and the previous admin had deleted his 2 directories that held all his scripts, cron looks clean except for a call to a now non-existent monitoring script (reported swap usage, space available, processes) which I think I can recreate pretty easily.

Thankfully it's been a pretty trouble free box. Unfortunately we don't have a AIX test box anymore so I can't try things :|
Depending on what type of machine it is and its current configuration, you should spin up a test lpar alongside your prod. Ain't nobody got time to learn Oracle on a production system.