Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Citizen Tayne posted:

I guess this would make sense if the original post you responded to said that they were discussing a rich neighborhood, which they absolutely weren't.

i don't pay very much attention to the things i respond to, just point in the general direction and push hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
the cop that cooked their dog over the summer got a week suspension with pay

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

graph posted:

someone got like 20 years for shooting a cop dog and all the dog people on facebook cried when the local news showed the dog military-style funeral

someone post the one where the cop killed his dog partner by leaving him in a hot car

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 23 minutes!

Sagebrush posted:

i don't pay very much attention to the things i respond to, just point in the general direction and push hard

Here's a city neighborhood. I guess those are the maid's cars. lmao.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Citizen Tayne posted:

Here's a city neighborhood. I guess those are the maid's cars. lmao.

whenever i do field work in nicer residential areas it's always somewhat startling to notice that almost all of the cars at people's houses and drivin around are maids and yard crew and contractors workin on the houses

occasionally i'll see an old at their window or a kept wife drivin her SUV into or out of a garage and once in awhile these people will call the cops on me because what is that man wearing slacks doin takin pictures on my street

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

an extra light lights up a left arrow

oh that makes more sense then, the way i was imagining it was insane

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 23 minutes!
I just realized there are chain link fences in that picture. :rip:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The chief financial officer at Xoom Corp. stepped down Monday after the San Francisco company revealed that fraudsters had transferred $30.8 million in corporate cash to overseas accounts.

Shares of the money transfer service (NASDAQ: XOOM) had dropped 6.2 percent in pre-trading on Tuesday.

Xoom, which helps people in the U.S. transfer money to relatives in places such as Mexico, the Philippines and India, said it doesn't think that customer data or customer money was involved in the Dec. 30 theft.
Xoom said it has contacted federal law enforcement officials, who are pursuing a criminal investigation. "While the company has internal controls in place and has implemented additional internal procedures, its audit committee and advisors are reviewing these controls and processes as part of the investigation," it said in filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission.
Matt Hibbard resigned as CFO, effective Monday. Former CFO and Chief Risk Officer Ryno Blignaut stepped back into those roles on an interim basis.
"While this matter will result in some additional near-term expenses, the company does not expect this incident to otherwise have a material impact on its business," Xoom said in SEC filings.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
A Hahaha software craftsmanship evangelist lmbo. of course the dude is an angular Dev too of course.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

whenever i do field work in nicer residential areas it's always somewhat startling to notice that almost all of the cars at people's houses and drivin around are maids and yard crew and contractors workin on the houses

occasionally i'll see an old at their window or a kept wife drivin her SUV into or out of a garage and once in awhile these people will call the cops on me because what is that man wearing slacks doin takin pictures on my street

I both love and hate this because I bike a good bit through the nice neighborhoods. on the good side their roads are in excellent repair and usually empty because people aren't going to work at strange hours. on the bad side they don' let the help park in the driveway so you end up with a bunch of landscaping trucks and maid service cars parked in the bike lanes with a cone two feet from the rear because apparently that's a magic talisman that converts any paved area into a parking spot.

their yards are also rarely in use. i did once ride by a house having a kid's birthday party on the front lawn. they had loving vallet parking.

also was chatting with a guy that does receiving prep work for tesla and he was complaining about how tesla's paint isn't properly baked on in the factory so it needs to really just sit in the sun for a good month or two to harden up properly but that none of the rich fuckers that buy them would dream of parking them outside for any period of time.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shifty Pony posted:

I both love and hate this because I bike a good bit through the nice neighborhoods. on the good side their roads are in excellent repair and usually empty because people aren't going to work at strange hours. on the bad side they don' let the help park in the driveway so you end up with a bunch of landscaping trucks and maid service cars parked in the bike lanes with a cone two feet from the rear because apparently that's a magic talisman that converts any paved area into a parking spot.

their yards are also rarely in use. i did once ride by a house having a kid's birthday party on the front lawn. they had loving vallet parking.

also was chatting with a guy that does receiving prep work for tesla and he was complaining about how tesla's paint isn't properly baked on in the factory so it needs to really just sit in the sun for a good month or two to harden up properly but that none of the rich fuckers that buy them would dream of parking them outside for any period of time.

i thought one of the steps in the factory was to put the painted parts through a giant oven

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it is. if the parts are actually coming off the line uncured that's a huge failure on their part, especially because it's trivial to solve (it's not like paint chemistry is some realm of incomprehensible magic)

what the guy probably means is a phenomenon that is the same for any car -- it takes a couple of months for the paint to become as hard as it possibly can because curing is partially a chemical process and chemical processes proceed logarithmically. not like it's squishy off the lot or anything, but maybe only 85% of the hardness it would be after curing for several weeks. (see also things like the hoover dam and other concrete structures that won't be fully "cured" until the year 3000 or whatever). part of the reason that people recommend you don't wax your car or do any heavy detailing straight off the lot.

that aging is totally independent of the weather though and would proceed just as quickly in a garage as in the sun

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

so they're selling them so fast they don't have time ti sit around in a lot somewhere until the paint cures as much as it would if the cars sat on a dealer lot for months before sale

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

he guessed it was insufficient bake time (gotta push more cars out!) combined with a low VOC water based paint they are using to manufacture in CA.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Shifty Pony posted:

a low VOC water based paint they are using to manufacture in CA.

this is a possibility i hadn't considered. water based paints were created by satan to ruin your projects

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

us manufacturers all had problems with water-based paint in the '90s, testla is just bringing those problems back in pog form

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
I know the perfect guy to post in this thread.

- works for a startup doing something nobody knows. talks about startup culture and drinking beers at work.
- makes a little more than the average person (about 50-60), talks about how baller and rich he is: "do you like this coffee table it cost $3000 but I can afford it)
- bought a 2br condo, but they paid extra so they wouldn't have to be near other people who had 2br places "because I don't want to be with the poor people". his parents paid for the down payment.
- lives paycheque to paycheque. would rather spend the few hundred dollars extra every month rather than paying off student loan debt. min pays credit cards.
- leases a tesla. the 65. only has a new driver permit, the kind you get when you are 17. he's almost 30.

Wild EEPROM fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jan 15, 2017

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Wild EEPROM posted:

his parents paid for the down payment.

I was feeling bad about still renting until I realized that p much everyone I know [even dual incomes] who owns a place had parental help

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Wild EEPROM posted:

- works for a startup doing something nobody knows. talks about startup culture and drinking beers at work.
- makes a little more than the average person (about 50-60), talks about how baller and rich he is: "do you like this coffee table it cost $3000 but I can afford it)
- bought a 2br condo in telus gardens, but they paid extra so they wouldn't have to be near other people who had 2br places "because I don't want to be with the poor people". his parents paid for the down payment.
- lives paycheque to paycheque. would rather spend the few hundred dollars extra every month rather than paying off student loan debt. min pays credit cards.
- leases a tesla. the 65. only has a new driver permit, the kind you get when you are 17. he's almost 30.

stop knowing this guy asap

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

i didn't watch that movie back in the day but i saw it recently and god drat does that scene own

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i really love the way walken says "the anti-christ"

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
rofl at trying to be a silicon valley baller on Vancouver wages. aha I make $60k a year in one of the most expensive and intellectually b ankrupt cities in north america, suck it poors! wages are higher in victoria ffs.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

As a Millennial I posted:

stop knowing this guy asap

no know him instead

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

when edwin edwards ran for governor against former kkk grand wizard david duke, the edwards campaign was successful by putting out these bumper stickers

this was in 1991

i prefer his other slogan from that campaign

quote:

"The only thing we have in common is we're both wizards under the sheets. "

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

quote:

Bill Gross, the former manager of the world’s largest bond fund, said prices for many assets will fall this year as record-low interest rates fail to restore sufficient economic growth.

With global expansion still sputtering after years of interest rates near zero, investors will gradually seek alternatives to risky assets, Gross wrote today in an investment outlook for Janus Capital Group Inc. (JNS), where he runs the $1.2 billion Janus Global Unconstrained Bond Fund.

“When the year is done, there will be minus signs in front of returns for many asset classes,” Gross, 70, wrote in the outlook. “The good times are over.”

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2015-01-06/gross-says-good-times-are-over-with-markets-set-to-fall.html

come on come on come on come on come on

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

rofl at trying to be a silicon valley baller on Vancouver wages. aha I make $60k a year in one of the most expensive and intellectually b ankrupt cities in north america, suck it poors! wages are higher in victoria ffs.

i went back home to vancouver over christmas this year and it is preppy as gently caress (treppy as gently caress) i was quite blown away. lots of nice looking people tho compared to seattle.

i really have no clue how the 30% of people you recall from highschool that don't really make it anywhere are surviving.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

i went back home to vancouver over christmas this year and it is preppy as gently caress (treppy as gently caress) i was quite blown away. lots of nice looking people tho compared to seattle.

i really have no clue how the 30% of people you recall from highschool that don't really make it anywhere are surviving.

they live in surrey.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Wild EEPROM posted:

- bought a 2br condo in telus gardens, but they paid extra so they wouldn't have to be near other people who had 2br places "because I don't want to be with the poor people". his parents paid for the down payment.

Whaaaaaaaaaaat? That's a shameful salary.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Wild EEPROM posted:

they live in surrey.

that makes total sense.

in other news

quote:

Oculus exec: There’s a huge opportunity for a startup to create the Uber of virtual reality
:barf:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

in other news

that doesn't even make sense. like, in any way

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
sure it does it's just sexual assault vr duh.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

people here (in victoria at least) are very very good looking, but it's all a mirage because they're all 20-22 and get the gently caress outta dodge once they finish school. being a student here must be pretty good tho.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
ugly person spotted

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Ricky Bad Posts posted:

ugly person spotted
in yospos?!?!

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
:forkbomb:

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

duTrieux. posted:

yes but unlike the south they don't complete control over the political and social apparatus

in the areas where they're concentrated, they kind of do

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

that makes total sense.

in other news

what was the context of this? rent out your vr goggles???

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i've considered going to a hackerspace to play with some vr goggles but lol no i'm not paying for the privilege

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

i've considered going to a hackerspace to play with some vr goggles but lol no i'm not paying for the skin infection and lice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

i've considered going to a hackerspace to play with some vr goggles but lol no i'm not paying for the privilege

if you were going to pay to play with vr goggles you could get an occulus off craigslist for ~$100 from some disillusioned nerd

• Locked thread