Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Why do you gotta be such a buzzkill Carl? God

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Pretty hosed up that an administrator would delete one of Sakurai's posts

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Sade posted:

Carl seems like he'd be a blast at parties.

No he doesn't! You're just making stuff up! I can't believe I'm having an argument about this.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Besides a few ogre puns, I never really "got" the Shrek meme. The Shrek movies embody a time even Dreamworks isn't proud of, and the movies have already aged very poorly.

Yeah

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Echo Chamber posted:

Besides a few ogre puns, I never really "got" the Shrek meme. The Shrek movies embody a time even Dreamworks isn't proud of, and the movies have already aged very poorly.

Yeah

Shut up, dweeb.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Echo Chamber posted:

Yeah

Classic Carl

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

shortspecialbus posted:

I know, I've just never done it at all. I'm not terrible at smash, I think I got good at just kinda keeping away without doing it.
Just knowing that you can hit A while in shield to grab directly out of shield was a huge deal for me.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Echo Chamber posted:

Yeah

This kind of post is called a "Hot Carl"

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true

Reinanigans posted:

Still on my quest to beat 9.0 without losing a life. I've tried DK, Ike, my main man R.O.B...but Bowser seems to be the character I perform best with, i.e. I can actually make it to Master Hand/Core.

I loaded up his defense as high as I can, figuring that speed doesn't matter to King Koopa anyway, and gave him a little attack power. However, I still get knocked out and I was wondering if adding more attack power would be better since Bowser's not really in much danger of being knocked out anyway? Do the defense boosts actually defend against being launched, or do they just lower the percentage you take?

I figure that since I've learned to read Master Hand/Core pretty well, actually killing them quicker will be the safest bet in the long run...until the acid in Master Fortress kills me. Bowser's jumps are so weak I can't avoid the acid sometimes...:(

What I did was I went Lucario and loaded him up with defense mods. One of them removes your invincibility from the recovery platform, which is a sweet deal because you won't be dying anyway. The hits to his mobility don't effect his recovery. And when he's at high percentages, his vanilla attack power trumps all the attack mods you could ask for.

When you're caught in a big kerfuffle in a 4v4 or whatever, spam his Double Team. When it triggers, he's totally invincible until it ends; it has a huge, sweeping hitbox so it'll hit everybody near you on the ground; and it launches you forward and out of any other danger. He has a great projectile, so when you don't feel like fighting, you can just throw that around. When you fight Master Core, if you get hit around a bit, it just means that you're doing more damage in the end and the fight will end all the sooner.

Don't forget that you can grab every enemy in Master Fortress. If you're frustrated that Stalfos keeps blocking your attacks, just run up to him and throw the bitch. Daphne (the laser flower) keeps tanking your hits and gets off its laser before you can kill it? Throwing negates its charge. You'll still have to avoid the acid, but Lucario's Extreme Speed is so mobile that you shouldn't have a problem... as long as you know where you're landing.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

This games expressions.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

It's like an mspaint memeface that doesn't exist yet and hopefully never will.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Supercar Gautier posted:

It's like an mspaint memeface that doesn't exist yet and hopefully never will.

It will now that you said it. Thanks.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Maybe something that isn't really spoken about a lot but the animation in this game is totally fantastic. Consider the fact that when a player pushes "a", they want their character to attack instantly, but also that the character can't just instantly go from stationary to attacking. They have maybe four or five frames of animation to speare before the input would seem "too laggy", and yet all of the characters movements and animations look really good and move well.

Also Duck Hunt Duo in general has really charming animations and expressions

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Calico Heart posted:

Maybe something that isn't really spoken about a lot but the animation in this game is totally fantastic. Consider the fact that when a player pushes "a", they want their character to attack instantly, but also that the character can't just instantly go from stationary to attacking. They have maybe four or five frames of animation to speare before the input would seem "too laggy", and yet all of the characters movements and animations look really good and move well.

Agreed on Duck Hunt Duo's animations. It makes it my favorite newcomer after Robin. (Not to mention that having the hunter, the dog, and the duck all join forces together to beat you up is a pretty cool concept.)

Also, doing the true final Co-Op Event is a joy that few things can match. Me and a partner beating the entire playable cast in one heck of an All-Star battle, all to the ridiculously good Menu theme. :allears: Also, in comparison to the Brawl one, the cast is grouped into four groups (clone characters, 3DS unlockables, third party mascots, and finally the 3DS starters), with the characters in those groups being grouped into smaller groups in order of veteran cred (newcomers first, then Brawl, Melee, and finally the 64 veterans).

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

Well guys, I finally did it.

DoYouHasaRabbit
Oct 8, 2007

Slur posted:

Well guys, I finally did it.
What'd you get for it?

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

DoYouHasaRabbit posted:

What'd you get for it?

For completing all the challenges? I think 2,000,000 gold.

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013

Calico Heart posted:

With the Little Mac pic above your posts and your comments on animation, I'm going to claim this video is relevant (specifically around 6:00). :v:

Villager's slingshot is so much fun to mess around with. I don't quite have the timing perfect, though, but I can usually peg taller characters while they're still standing on the ground.

Also, is the 3DS smash thread dead? That's the only version I have, but it hasn't been posted in for weeks.

kurona_bright fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jan 7, 2015

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Slur posted:

For completing all the challenges? I think 2,000,000 gold.

Is that 300,000g challenge having it all at once or just earning it over time?

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

kurona_bright posted:

Also, is the 3DS smash thread dead? That's the only version I have, but it hasn't been posted in for weeks.

no one is going to care if you post about 3ds smash here. i don't know why a second thread was even made for this version

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

sharrrk posted:

no one is going to care if you post about 3ds smash here. i don't know why a second thread was even made for this version

there need to be at least three smash bros threads in the collective games forums or else i will lose my poo poo.

Ozdhaka
Oct 20, 2012

Chieves posted:

It's having at least 300k at once, not earning 300k over time in the game.

Getting Dr. Mario's 8 Fever Rushes in Trophy Rush gets you 100k.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Chieves posted:

Someone answered on my behalf, but if you wish to know how I got the achievement really quickly: go to spectator mode in the online options. Bet the maximum of 100G, and if you manage to bet correctly on 3 people in a row with 0% winning streaks, you will get a 100,000G jackpot.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I just had a huge losing streak and I'm salty as all hell. At midnight is online filled with pros or something? Everyone I fought seemed to have a solution for EVERYTHING I did and I couldn't touch anyone if I left Dedede's side.

bad frog
Dec 21, 2003

listen up

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I just had a huge losing streak and I'm salty as all hell. At midnight is online filled with pros or something? Everyone I fought seemed to have a solution for EVERYTHING I did and I couldn't touch anyone if I left Dedede's side.

Yeah, basically. The kids are in bed by then, but it's a good time to really test your mettle.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Do any of Yoshi's throws have any sort of reasonable power? I've been playing Yoshi since the N64 days, so I know his throws have always been bad, but I'm curious if any of his throws can kill at a reasonable percentage, or if I should just grab and chew, then try to follow up in the air.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

How long did it take you to finish the "50,000 blocks in trophy rush" achievement? Is there some secret to speeding it up? We've already unlocked 100% of the random chance trophies so it feels like an endless grind.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

You think that's bad, I had the flu on NYE so I had to stay in. The people playing Smash Bros on NYE instead of being out partying are on another level. Every single one of them was incredible.

Plasbad
Oct 2, 2013
I had a For Glory 1v1 match against a Ganondorf as Zelda and successfully beat them without taking a single hit. :toot: I mean sure they weren't the best, but they didn't even get a chance to connect a single jab or kick, and believe me they were trying. Zelda's moves either came out faster or canceled out everything he threw, and I had tons of control with Din's Fire and Farore's Wind. I need video recording equipment for this kind of stuff.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!
I once played some Glory 1v1 against someone who picked between Greninja, Charizard, and Lucario and proceeded to use nothing but B-moves.

It got bad enough that I could get them killed by jumping over Charizard's Flare Blitz. I wonder why people like that play in 1v1 For Glory.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Sounds like a kid who loves Pokemon having some fun.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
impossible, for fun mode is over that way

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Polo-Rican posted:

How long did it take you to finish the "50,000 blocks in trophy rush" achievement? Is there some secret to speeding it up? We've already unlocked 100% of the random chance trophies so it feels like an endless grind.

Palutena + Heavenly light is the fastest way, in my opinion. I did that achievement over the course of a few days, not caring to "grind" for it. Otherwise, this is the most tedious achievement. The best I can tell you is to have fun with trophy rush and try to beat your high scores with other characters to make it less tedious.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Wild Knight posted:

But little kids can't read :ohdear:

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I
I fought a guy at a regional who was bragging about being amazing at the game and always beating his friends who only used B-moves. I 2-0'd him and he went the rest of the tournament complaining about how I was apparently playing cheap.

People are just bad.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

laplace posted:

I fought a guy at a regional who was bragging about being amazing at the game and always beating his friends who only used B-moves. I 2-0'd him and he went the rest of the tournament complaining about how I was apparently playing cheap.

People are just bad.

well were you being cheap!?

dizzywhip
Dec 23, 2005

Slur posted:

Someone answered on my behalf, but if you wish to know how I got the achievement really quickly: go to spectator mode in the online options. Bet the maximum of 100G, and if you manage to bet correctly on 3 people in a row with 0% winning streaks, you will get a 100,000G jackpot.

Wouldn't this be really hard to actually pull off? It seems like you'd have to be really lucky just to get three 0% players in a row, let alone have them all win.

Thanks to this post, though, I discovered that spectating Smash Bros matches while stoned is a highly enjoyable activity.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
I play a lot of 2v2 for glory, last night we had a series of matches that devolved into 4 Charizards doing the self damage rush thing. I'm not practiced enough to recover from a miss right near the edge though.

dizzywhip posted:

Wouldn't this be really hard to actually pull off? It seems like you'd have to be really lucky just to get three 0% players in a row, let alone have them all win.
2v2 matches, both sides at 10x because they just got matched up

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

dizzywhip posted:

Thanks to this post, though, I discovered that spectating Smash Bros matches while stoned is a highly enjoyable activity.

It took me 30 minutes to do it 3 times in a row. I guess I was really lucky that day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

Wild Knight posted:

I wish For Fun had no items omega only as options :(

• Locked thread