Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Jeff van Dyck did the original music for Alien: Isolation and it's top quality - fits in perfectly with the Goldsmith score that they remastered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender

Sharkopath posted:

The reason Van Dyck gave himself is he got tired of having to work late to do the composing and sound mixing work, since he's based in the US and still had to communicate with the UK offices.

That's the reason he gave for no longer working on the Alien: Isolation soundtrack, but he was never actually asked about composing for Rome 2. He was contracted to do a single track for a trailer (which ended up being the Live Action Rome 2 trailer), but he wasn't contacted about doing the soundtrack proper. Presumably that would be why he wouldn't work on Attila, but it certainly wasn't the reason for the Total War games to date.

There is also the fact that when asked why he wasn't scoring Attila on his Facebook wall he replied that the choice wasn't up to him which hardly sounds like the response of someone who refused an offered contract because of working conditions.

e: A fun bit of Jeff van Dyck trivia, all of the 4 credits themes he composed for the games were based on earlier songs from the series. Bird of Time, for example, is based on the original Shogun 1 outro movie music.

shalcar fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jan 6, 2015

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
It's also my favourite track from Shogun 1 but doesn't seen to be available anywhere online :mad:

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

Taco Defender

Koramei posted:

It's also my favourite track from Shogun 1 but doesn't seen to be available anywhere online :mad:

It was on the soundtrack from the Total War: Eras bundle. It's called "Shogun Temple", PM me for details about it.

e: Youtube link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_e9YOnI1mA

shalcar fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jan 6, 2015

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Napoleon owns and grand campaigns are not as fun as objective-based, smaller scope ones :colbert:

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

shalcar posted:

It was on the soundtrack from the Total War: Eras bundle. It's called "Shogun Temple", PM me for details about it.

Oh hm no that's not it I must have been wrong about where it appeared

Koramei fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jan 6, 2015

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

shalcar posted:

It's true, they took the refinement approach of Shogun 2 and dialled it all the way up to 11. Units are made available early and arts focus on giving bonuses to areas of your choice rather than gating the fun units, so you see a wider unit variety earlier than other Total War games. Junsatsushi are certainly made to be incredibly interesting as they force you to make the interesting choice between tax bots or province converters, but I feel that it kind of stole the shine from the other agents a little. Skill trees/Tech trees in general are hands down the best in the series.

They nailed combat unit balance in a way that is unmatched, with elite units able to take down hordes of levies, but middle tier units will grind down the elites due to unit size differences. Even elite units will suffer a lot of pain on a charge from a non-elite unit which means levy units can take advantage of their superior numbers. Nothing beats the levies for cost effectiveness, but cost effectiveness isn't everything and you really have a solid reason to have a mix of forces in your armies. All Foot Samurai or Monks, while hilarious, just isn't as effective as having Sword and Naginata Attendants mixed in. Cavalry is shifted to the lategame and rather than being the general killers or morale shock champions of earlier titles instead exist to butcher the elite units with devastating charges. Bow Cavalry Generals was a stroke of absolute genius.

The learning curve is absolutely punishing though, with the game fully expecting you to know how to properly manage infantry blocks and general auras, as the Levy simply can not operate on flanks or outside of the general aura for very long at all. It forces good infantry play by necessity and that can be both incredibly daunting and brutal to newer players or even experienced players who don't quite have a handle on the fragility of early units.

I think Rise and Fall both show off the incredible width on offer while managing to nail the fun factor. Rise of the Samurai is without doubt the best designed and most cohesive Total War game they ever released, although it is standing on the shoulders of giants in that respect. It is absolutely one of the most under-appreciated Total War games, without question and everyone who calls themselves a Total War fan should play it through at least once to see exactly the quality of game design that CA is capable of.

e: It also has the most thematic/enjoyable co-op campaign experience bar none. Paint the world Taira! :black101:

And here I always passed on it because I thought it was just going to be more of vanilla Shogun, which was really good but was enough by itself. How is the naval combat in Rise? can one auto-resolve it away fairly well?

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Rise naval combat is entirely based around 'more expensive ships have more and better archers and will win', from what I remember.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Panzeh posted:

I tend to agree that the smaller the scope of the era, the better the game ends up being. Also I think that the vaunted variety of Rome 2 vis a vis the past few TW games is a bit deceptive because honestly the units aren't that different. There's just twenty skins for 'good swordsman, less good swordsman' that all end up having the same exact function in the game.

To be honest, I know this is the case. I just don't really care all that much because having slightly different swordmans that look different aside from just the colour of their uniform makes a huge difference to me.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jan 6, 2015

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Koramei posted:

Oh hm no that's not it I must have been wrong about where it appeared

oh hey I found it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqTOIr-BSVM

not as cool as i remembered but oh well.

Shogun 1's videos had so much character even though they were super janky
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibAdi-q_EHA

yeah Geisha just carry a loving BOMB over to him very subtle

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Why are people saying the scope of Atilla is smaller than Rome's when the game is actually even bigger than Rome II?

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
The Shogun battle victory music was fantastic, you can tell there's an actual party going on, drink up ashigaru you've earned this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RF4DRD2B1is

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Mans posted:

Why are people saying the scope of Atilla is smaller than Rome's when the game is actually even bigger than Rome II?

More like the conceptual focus is tighter and more refined thematically instead of Be Roman Conquer Barbs aimlessly.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Rabhadh posted:

The Shogun battle victory music was fantastic, you can tell there's an actual party going on, drink up ashigaru you've earned this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RF4DRD2B1is

I prefer the Shogun 2 victory music. It felt more like the general's retinue of musicians who he brought along have just started playing for the entire army. The cheering really sells it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tg8cKGBc6dU

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Smoothrich posted:

More like the conceptual focus is tighter and more refined thematically instead of Be Roman Conquer Barbs aimlessly.

That doesn't make sense, that would mean Rome II would have a smaller focus since this one is about TWO Romes slapfighting each other + vikings + poo poo ton of roaming barbarians + Sassanids + Atilla.

It's more sensible to say they caught a lot of flack from Rome's release and realized they needed to step up their game to appease a lot of their own crowd.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
What are the chances like of certain things being back ported? All the siege stuff sounds great.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
I think that he meant that Rome 2 was more aimless than anything because it was more about just vomiting out every possible faction you could onto the map in a free-for-all almost, whereas I feel like there's more purpose and theme behind the mechanics than in some of the stuff in Rome 2, with stuff like razing a region down to nothing or the big Roman factions playing survival mode and trying to hold on to what they can, or playing with the migratory factions that seem interesting at being able to pick up and move around for a while. The nomadic/migratory factions seem like they have more work behind them to feel different rather than the Rome 2 style of everyone is sedentary civilizations ready to explode colour over the map.

I'm sure the base game hasn't deviated hard enough that it'll feel like night and day but there seems to be more of a purpose to what you are doing in Attila from what I've seen than in Rome 2, which was just pick a side and then paint the map, everything will be alright, just don't pay too much attention to the politics screen.

Rabhadh posted:

What are the chances like of certain things being back ported? All the siege stuff sounds great.
Doubtful any of it will be.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Rabhadh posted:

What are the chances like of certain things being back ported?

:eyepop:

Get a load of this guy

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Some people are entirely convinced if Attila sells poorly enough that they'll have to backport all the features into Rome 2, because their backseat game designer brain told them so. Probably out of shame or something.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Obviously they aren't going to do anything for free, but it would be really nice if you buy Attila to be able to apply the quality of life stuff to the older campaigns. Hell, they could probably sell a DLC to do that and make some extra bank.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

shalcar posted:

This doesn't actually change anything I said, unless you are trying to :goonsay: or something.

I'm just saying it's really not the same kind of thing as Napoleon. Napoleon was super focused on one faction with a few other slightly different ones thrown in, this is much more broad in scope, it's basically Barbarian Invasions all over again. I wasn't arguing with you about whether it'd be good or not - I agree it looks great.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Gobblecoque posted:

Obviously they aren't going to do anything for free, but it would be really nice if you buy Attila to be able to apply the quality of life stuff to the older campaigns. Hell, they could probably sell a DLC to do that and make some extra bank.

They could, but they won't. :v:

Sorry, but they're not going to backport Atilla's improvements into R2 for all the same reasons they didn't backport Napoleon's into Empire. There's no reason to go back and improve R2 because Atilla is an improved R2. Backporting Atilla's mechanics into R2 - even with a paid DLC - defeats the purpose because that just means letting people have all those improvements in R2 for $5-$10 instead of having to buy Atilla for $50.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Sydin posted:

They could, but they won't. :v:

Sorry, but they're not going to backport Atilla's improvements into R2 for all the same reasons they didn't backport Napoleon's into Empire. There's no reason to go back and improve R2 because Atilla is an improved R2. Backporting Atilla's mechanics into R2 - even with a paid DLC - defeats the purpose because that just means letting people have all those improvements in R2 for $5-$10 instead of having to buy Atilla for $50.

No, I was meaning the DLC in addition to buying the expansion. As in you buy Attila and then fork over more money to upgrade R2.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Or maybe include the upgrades only with the purchase of Attila?

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Or maybe include the upgrades only with the purchase of Attila?
If only it were as simple as copying and pasting the code of the stuff people wanted from Attila back into Rome 2.

If only...

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Sober posted:

Some people are entirely convinced if Attila sells poorly enough that they'll have to backport all the features into Rome 2, because their backseat game designer brain told them so. Probably out of shame or something.

Stop treating TWCenter as anything more than a comedy site for fascists and psychotic anti-steam fanatics.

As a matter of fact, just stop going to TWC.

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Sober posted:

If only it were as simple as copying and pasting the code of the stuff people wanted from Attila back into Rome 2.

If only...

I wouldn't be surprised by a mod or DLC that turns time back a bit and adds all the dead Hellenistic factions and territory. A map that isn't yet overrun with sprawling squalor and mass migrations. That'd be more reasonable. It's basically the same map after all. Some startpos sperging would set up a Rome 2 Classic campaign good.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

Taco Defender

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

And here I always passed on it because I thought it was just going to be more of vanilla Shogun, which was really good but was enough by itself. How is the naval combat in Rise? can one auto-resolve it away fairly well?

Naval combat in Rise can be auto-resolved to your hearts content just fine if you don't like the naval aspects. Personally, I didn't like them until I realised that you want ~5 Heavy Ships, 3 Mediums ones and 2 Lights in a full fleet :downs:. Then everything became a lot less frustrating.

John Charity Spring posted:

Rise naval combat is entirely based around 'more expensive ships have more and better archers and will win', from what I remember.

Ship experience is actually more important than quality (The Samurai ships are equivalent to roughly rank 3 attendant ships). Bigger is generally better though, I agree with you on that one.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Shame on you if your entire fleet in Empire Total War does not consists of only heavy first lines.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

Taco Defender

Michaellaneous posted:

Shame on you if your entire fleet in Empire Total War does not consists of only heavy first lines.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to have Heavy First Lines in my fleet, but that is a little beyond the Japanese shipwrights of 1175.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

shalcar posted:

Don't get me wrong, I would love to have Heavy First Lines in my fleet, but that is a little beyond the Japanese shipwrights of 1175.

They weren't trying hard enough :colbert:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I'm wincing trying to imagine the default upkeep costs for something like 16 or 17 1st Rates with default Empire. That is like only possilbe if you own at least one continent entirely right?

Also, I do hope one day in the distant future we'll get an Empire 2 that goes right up to the dawn of the 20th century. Pre-Dreadnaughts just look neat.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

SeanBeansShako posted:

I'm wincing trying to imagine the default upkeep costs for something like 16 or 17 1st Rates with default Empire. That is like only possilbe if you own at least one continent entirely right?

Also, I do hope one day in the distant future we'll get an Empire 2 that goes right up to the dawn of the 20th century. Pre-Dreadnaughts just look neat.

When I am home I will make a picture.
But basically I started as prussia with DM early, got bayonetts and then repeated history. Roll over poland, invade russia. Sweden was always a bit pissy, but I assume that my relationship with the Ottmans kept them content.

After that the other way. France, spain, etc.

But yes, I am just building up my third full fleet of only heavy first rate, and my profit is about...30k a turn? That with about 15 full land armies with 4 cannons/howitzers each.

Athropos
May 4, 2004

"Skeletons are Number One! Flesh just slows you down."

Odobenidae posted:

:eyepop:

Get a load of this guy

I know right

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Is There a pretty good strategy guide for legendary FotS? I cant seem to make it past turn 50 or so without getting dick smashed by full stack super elite armies after everyone declares war on me. I've been mostly defending and then counter attacking after whatever nation fails to capture my fort but it seems like the AI and recruit tons of troops at once with unlimited funds and then wreck me.

Pycckuu
Sep 13, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

FAT CURES MUSCLES posted:

Is There a pretty good strategy guide for legendary FotS? I cant seem to make it past turn 50 or so without getting dick smashed by full stack super elite armies after everyone declares war on me. I've been mostly defending and then counter attacking after whatever nation fails to capture my fort but it seems like the AI and recruit tons of troops at once with unlimited funds and then wreck me.

Don't provoke realm divide until your economy is sufficiently built up, especially if you go republican. That means you will need to control your expansion carefully and create vassals instead of outright defeating your enemies. It has the added bonus of increasing your damiyo's honor, which will increase happiness throughout all provinces and partially offset the modernization penalty. It will also allow you to loot enemy cities without incurring a happiness penalty for dishonor. Looting is very useful in the early game because it gives your economy a huge boost, and allows you to raise another army if you need one. I usually loot when the reward is over 25k (it also helps to maximize it though your general's skill or clan bonuses).

Other things that might be helpful: try to capture a blacksmithing province and upgrade it all the way (biggest smithing building, training camp) so you can recruit cheap line infantry. Also, build trading ports/military ports in all of your provinces, that way AI won't be able to land armies to siege your unprotected cities. Try to build up railroads, they are great for moving armies around and they give a huge growth bonus to provinces they are in.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Also, research Foreign Affairs ASAP and throw up a trade port -> foreign trade port, particularly in a Yakuza province if you can swing it. The boost in koku is huge and will help you stem the tide.

Also like Pycckuu mentioned, blacksmith provinces. The flat +20 to accuracy from the gunsmith can make gun levy competitive against line infantry, and line infantry competitive against more modern troops. Granted you'll eventually get overrun by quality at some point if you don't eventually upgrade, but the gunsmith can buy you time to do so by buffing cheaper units enough to content with the AI's modern units. Particularly if you're on the defensive.

Oh, and artillery. Bring all the artillery. Parrot Guns don't take that long to get to, and 2-4 in a stack will soften up an incoming army quite nicely.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Also, if you are playing an Imperial Clan one of the smaller Island clans is sitting on top of a frigging gold mine that helps a lot with early days development. Persaude that Clan to have an early retirement.

For the Emperor. With your army.

Welmu
Oct 9, 2007
Metri. Piiri. Sekunti.
Confirmation of Total War: Warhammer has been leaked from an upcoming TW Artbook.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/total-war-warhammer-leaked-ahead-of-announcement/1100-6424632/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

Taco Defender

Welmu posted:

Confirmation of Total War: Warhammer has been leaked from an upcoming TW Artbook.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/total-war-warhammer-leaked-ahead-of-announcement/1100-6424632/

I was wondering when they would get around to announcing that, I hope they give it the Alien treatment.

FAT CURES MUSCLES posted:

Lost of good advice given already, but if you don't plan to go Republic you are actually better off to get into Realm Divide as quickly as possible. The reason for this is that the AI is set up to have someone flip if you are completely surrounded by the same allegiance, which in Legendary always ends up being a ludicrous backstab, but once Realm Divide kicks in the allegiances become fixed and so you can rely 100% on your allies. It's a bit weird that it gets easier after Realm Divide (unless you go Republic for the true Shogun 2 pain with an extra kick in the balls -hooray for losing all your agents and having to switch a whole empire at once), but I'm guessing that was CA's response to the endless crying about Realm Divide.