Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eponymous Bosch
Aug 11, 2010

El_Elegante posted:

You're not worried about toxoplasmosis or listeria from the not-well-done beef?

I cannot tell if this is sarcastic... but if it is not, please be reassured (call your wife's OB if you are really worried) that a fine romantic dinner is the best idea. Just don't go on a bender and chug down a bunch of soft French cheeses.

Listeria is classically contracted from deli foods (cold cuts, cole slaw, soft cheeses) and the last US outbreaks have been from caramel apples, sprouts, and cheese.

http://www.cdc.gov/listeria/outbreaks/

Toxoplasmosis is acquired by eating undercooked pork products (one of the more benign things you can get from doing this!) and food contaminated with cat poo poo. So don't get a steak and marinate it in the cat box.

Seriously, it's okay dude. If in doubt call your OB or midwife. But there is a ton of fear mongering about what pregnant women can and cannot do. Read all of it with a critical eye!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

Sockmuppet posted:

Well, toxoplasmosis isn't dangerous to you, it's the fetus that's at risk for death or severe birth defects.

The thing about food warnings is that the odds of catching something bad is very small, but the consequences of catching it can be very big.
So you basically have to read up on exactly why certain foodstuffs are labeled as off-limits, and then judge for yourself how safe you can make them and what kind of risk you're comfortable taking.

I'm a worrywart and I like my steak blood-drippingly rare, so I just didn't eat it for nine months, since a well-done steak is worse than no steak to me. If your wife likes her steak cooked through, no worries! If you want to make a meal that's guaranteed to be safe, a good salmon fillet is hard to beat. Not only is it's safe, fish is awesome for growing healthy baby brains!
This recipe is delicious, if you're stuck for ideas.

I cook the steak to medium or better and I think we are good to go. I prefer to do a steak at home anyways.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

Eponymous Bosch posted:

Toxoplasmosis is acquired by eating undercooked pork products (one of the more benign things you can get from doing this!) and food contaminated with cat poo poo.
So don't get a steak and marinate it in the cat box.

Actually, you can get it from quite a bit more than that. http://www.cdc.gov/parasites/toxoplasmosis/epi.html
Dirt in general is a big culprit (because of the animal poo poo, yes), so fruit and veg should be washed thoroughly.

Like I said, the odds of catching it isn't big - I got tested for it when I got pregnant, and it turned out I'd managed to go 29 years of eating all sorts of weird and undercooked stuff all over the world without getting infected. But it can be so incredibly harmful for the fetus that it shouldn't be downplayed as something benign you'll only catch if you eat used cat litter. Around 1 in 5 Americans over the age of 12 are estimated to be infected.

There is definitely a lot of fear mongering around things like mercury in fish, where you'll have to eat like 5 kilos a week for it to be an issue, but I think downplaying the very real damage that catching listeria or toxoplasmosis can do, isn't good either.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Eponymous Bosch posted:

I cannot tell if this is sarcastic... but if it is not, please be reassured (call your wife's OB if you are really worried) that a fine romantic dinner is the best idea. Just don't go on a bender and chug down a bunch of soft French cheeses.

Listeria is classically contracted from deli foods (cold cuts, cole slaw, soft cheeses) and the last US outbreaks have been from caramel apples, sprouts, and cheese.

http://www.cdc.gov/listeria/outbreaks/

Toxoplasmosis is acquired by eating undercooked pork products (one of the more benign things you can get from doing this!) and food contaminated with cat poo poo. So don't get a steak and marinate it in the cat box.

Seriously, it's okay dude. If in doubt call your OB or midwife. But there is a ton of fear mongering about what pregnant women can and cannot do. Read all of it with a critical eye!

I'm an Ob. The textbooks say undercooked meat can harbor both of those pathogens, and I'm more on the risk averse side of things.

Thanks for the fish recipe, though!

Eponymous Bosch
Aug 11, 2010
I didn't mean to downplay the consequences, but the relative risk needs to be shown as well. A well cooked steak from a reputable butcher is relatively small risk of transmitting those pathogens. Surely no one would see a pregnant woman eating that and want to grab it out of her hands because it's so dangerous. And as an OB, what would you tell a patient who called up and asked if eating well cooked beef was okay to eat?

But here are some good vegetarian recipes that are definitely pregnancy safe and delicious-

White bean and kale soup http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2013/12/26/a_vegetarian_white_bean_and_kale_soup_recipe_that_doesn_t_taste_vegetarian.html

One pot creamy pasta recipe without the cream http://www.lottieanddoof.com/2013/06/one-pan-pasta/

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
I would say well done beef is safe but non well done steaks have risks which may be low but can have severe consequences.

I didn't come in to be food police, I just wanted recipe suggestions!

Ambellina
Dec 6, 2005

Those who ride against us will be murdered where they stand

eselbaum posted:

Anyway, hope you feel better soon! I did get sick right after finding out I was pregnant about 4 months ago, and chamomile tea with citrus rinds and honey helped me feel a little better. That, and lots of rest!

Oh my goodness that sounds amazing! Thanks for the suggestion!

cailleask
May 6, 2007

There was an outbreak of listeria on fruit while I was pregnant (I think from Trader Joes). You can make yourself crazy trying to follow all the possible latest infection vectors. Decide on a probability you are comfortable with, and then live your life. Your fetus is in way more danger every time you get in a car than every time you sit down to lunch.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
Yeah. I won't drive in the snow and will likely be limiting my evening driving as well. My eyesight has gotten worse in the last couple of weeks.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

Funhilde posted:

My eyesight has gotten worse in the last couple of weeks.

It's insane the kind of things pregnancy will affect! My first official symptom wasn't nausea or tender boobs or any of the typical things, it was shoulder pain, from the hormones affecting the ligaments. And my feet are still every so slightly bigger than they used to be, so there are a couple of my pre-pregnancy shoes that I can't wear.

Oh, and thanks to making a baby I've now got geographic tongue, which is the dumbest affliction ever.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
I feel generally fine. Except my ribs hurt like hell. All. The. drat. Time. And im only 25 weeks in.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

Big Bug Hug posted:

I feel generally fine. Except my ribs hurt like hell. All. The. drat. Time. And im only 25 weeks in.

Watching how the baby moves every single bodily system around really made me understand why my wife was having so many weird pains.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

Big Bug Hug posted:

I had pain just under the right rib. I'm at 31 weeks now and that pain has mostly moved a bit lower. Changing around my bras seemed to have helped and ice packs. I have one that is a gel pack inside of an ace bandage. It is very nice.

Baja Mofufu
Feb 7, 2004

I'm still eating my steaks medium-rare because we normally use a sous vide. If you always make sure the meat goes through the USDA recommended pasteurization times there's no reason to avoid it. (Also it's delicious...) I do try to avoid the risk of foodborne illness, but lately it seems like listeria is known from almost everything. I remember it was in cantaloupes a few years ago, too.

Rathina
Jan 8, 2001
Man oh man how my brain has become so warped over this pregnancy with food issues. Started out eating poached eggs, all sorts of healthy veggies and fruits, mostly not worried at all because of a history of miscarriages I wasn't really 'attached' to this pregnancy till probably around 18 weeks when things started moving around, then my 'mamabear' instinct kind of kicked in and was like "must stop eating things that might kill the baby, because there is a baby"......but as time goes on and you read more and more about listeria and it could just be in anything really, and then I had a couple of close calls with what may or may not have been food poisoning and now I'm pretty much eating nothing but junky frozen food Haha. 5 more weeks to go and I can go back to eating all my healthy (but omg could kill your baby) food LOL.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
Heh, aside from GD issues cutting out sugar and junk food, I've been to two family gatherings now where I'm scared to touch basically anything, because everyone leaves salads sitting out for hours on end. In summer!
I admit though I accidentally didn't ask for bean sprouts in my pad thai the other day and I still ate that poo poo because pad thai :shrug:

Funhilde posted:

I had pain just under the right rib. I'm at 31 weeks now and that pain has mostly moved a bit lower. Changing around my bras seemed to have helped and ice packs. I have one that is a gel pack inside of an ace bandage. It is very nice.

Thanks, I've been using heat but I will try ice packs.

political pseudoscience
Aug 8, 2006

confused posted:

Congrats to both of you! Our son is still in the thick of it. He was only 27 weeks 2 days. This is still week 3, so he probably has another two months in the NICU. Concurring with it being loving terrifying. It's only been 3 weeks, but it seems like forever.

Not sure about where you are, but if there is a March of Dimes person at your hospital they are wonderful. They had regular events for NICU parents, a little charm necklace you could build for your milestones, and the best was a NICU lounge. It was a separate room with a fridge and tv and a craft cabinet. A nice break from everything without sitting in the general waiting area. I would go in there in between feeding/ pumping just for some chill time. I could also keep food in there so I wasn't stuck with crappy expensive cafeteria food.

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

I had rib pain starting sometime around 22 weeks and it just got worse and worse. Wrapping an ace wrap around my chest helped for whatever reason. And sitting up really straight as much as possible. The baby put so much pressure on one of my ribs that it's permanently deformed now.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
Thank you guys, I will keep bandaging in mind as well as something to try, especially if I can rig it up with ice.
I don't remember being this uncomfortable with my first one. I don't remember her being nearly as active either. This time I feel like my insides spend most of the day being used as a jumping castle. I guess it was 14 years ago. Or maybe I've suppressed the memories...

Big Bug Hug fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jan 7, 2015

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

Big Bug Hug posted:

Thank you guys, I will keep bandaging in mind as well as something to try, especially if I can rig it up with ice.
I don't remember being this uncomfortable with my first one. I don't remember her being nearly as active either. This time I feel like my insides spend most of the day being used as a jumping castle. I guess it was 14 years ago. Or maybe I've suppressed the memories...

Here is the one I use. I got one at Target too but it isn't Ace and not as nice. It helps because it has ice AND compression.

http://www.amazon.com/Knitted-Cold-Compress-Wrap-Reusable/dp/B007PZXY10/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1420589717&sr=8-4&keywords=ace+ice+pack

eselbaum
Jul 4, 2009

*boop*

El_Elegante posted:

You're not worried about toxoplasmosis or listeria from the not-well-done beef?

http://generallymedicine.com/2011/05/19/on-food-cravings-and-prohibitions-in-pregnancy-i’ll-take-my-steak-rare-please/

This article made me worry a lot less about consuming rare beef than I used to.

TL;DR The USDA has not had a documented outbreak of listeria from consuming rare/raw beef in the last decade. The most common causes were from deli turkey meat and hot dogs. The odds are definitely in your favor on this one.

Ambystoma
Oct 22, 2008

At least I looked like a popular idiot.
I found alternating cold and warm packs to help with rib pain the most - I tried a bunch of the stretches but none of them did much for me. Ugh, I'm actually squirming now remembering how deeply, uniquely unpleasant that pain was. Once he dropped down though it started getting better really quickly, so at least that's one pain that might get better for you guys before the end.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
Deeply, uniquely unpleasant is a great way to describe it! Tried cold packs yesterday and it helped a bit! I went to get another one today, so I can try hot/cold.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
I also found if I got someone to rub on my back in the area where a bra normally clasps that it relieved some of the rib pain in the front of my body.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Our son (born Dec 14th) was very well behaved the first two weeks he was home. Slept very well, kept up with the eating guideline our pediatrician gave us, and we were all pretty happy. However, the past couple of days, he's been really finicky and doesn't seem to want to sleep. He's also been drinking a remarkable amount (about 110 mL every hour and a half) and will be very fussy if we don't feed him before 2 hours is up. He's only getting maybe 12 or 13 hours of sleep when we was getting a solid 16 to 17 hours. He's weighing in at ~10 lbs.

1. Is he overweight? Are we overfeeding him?
2. Is he finicky because he's not getting enough sleep? Are there ways to make sure he gets enough full sleep during the day time? He seems to sleep much better at night.

Black Lodge
Aug 17, 2013

kimcicle posted:

Our son (born Dec 14th) was very well behaved the first two weeks he was home. Slept very well, kept up with the eating guideline our pediatrician gave us, and we were all pretty happy. However, the past couple of days, he's been really finicky and doesn't seem to want to sleep. He's also been drinking a remarkable amount (about 110 mL every hour and a half) and will be very fussy if we don't feed him before 2 hours is up. He's only getting maybe 12 or 13 hours of sleep when we was getting a solid 16 to 17 hours. He's weighing in at ~10 lbs.

1. Is he overweight? Are we overfeeding him?
2. Is he finicky because he's not getting enough sleep? Are there ways to make sure he gets enough full sleep during the day time? He seems to sleep much better at night.

1. At that age, our pediatrician said there was no such thing as too much (we were breastfeeding, not sure if that is the case for you). I think they mostly just want babies to stay on the same general growth trajectory (no major spikes or drops in weight). I wouldn't worry about the pounds. The eating will level out eventually.

2. Somewhere around two weeks their guts start to colonize with good bacteria, which can lead to increased fussiness, gas and discomfort. That might be playing a role here. You could try gas drops or gripe water if you think he's uncomfortable.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Black Lodge posted:

1. At that age, our pediatrician said there was no such thing as too much (we were breastfeeding, not sure if that is the case for you). I think they mostly just want babies to stay on the same general growth trajectory (no major spikes or drops in weight). I wouldn't worry about the pounds. The eating will level out eventually.

2. Somewhere around two weeks their guts start to colonize with good bacteria, which can lead to increased fussiness, gas and discomfort. That might be playing a role here. You could try gas drops or gripe water if you think he's uncomfortable.

Wife isn't producing enough milk for him, so she pre-pumps and we mix it with formula. I think he's figured out the bottle is super easy compared to the breast because now he doesn't want to breastfeed. :/

We have an appointment with our ped next week so if he doesn't improve I might ask him about the gripe water.

Thanks for the quick reply.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Fussiness generally starts to kick in at 2ish weeks and increases until 6-8 weeks when it begins to start tapering off.

There is no such thing as an overweight newborn.

How did you determine your wife wasn't making enough milk?

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

sheri posted:

Fussiness generally starts to kick in at 2ish weeks and increases until 6-8 weeks when it begins to start tapering off.

There is no such thing as an overweight newborn.

How did you determine your wife wasn't making enough milk?

Lactation consultant. Recommended pumping every 2 hours until she makes enough milk. However, when he's hungry he refuses to latch and only seems to drink from the bottle. So we've taken to pumping the breastmilk beforehand and then mixing with premade formula.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011
Most women make plenty of milk (like 95%+) unless the baby isn't transferring milk well. What were the symptoms? Pumping is *not* a good indicator of supply.

I would look up paced bottle feeding on YouTube or KellyMom and try that to slow the baby down on eating. You can over feed a bottle fed baby but they typically will just spit it all back up. If your wife wants to try to get the baby back to the breast, I would also switch to preemie sized nipples (and definitely paced bottle feeding). Newborns have an intense need to suck that can easily be mistaken for hunger. Comfort nursing is a great way to build milk supply so maybe try the breast if it hasn't been long since a previous feed. I'd find a different LC too.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

skeetied posted:

Comfort nursing is a great way to build milk supply so maybe try the breast if it hasn't been long since a previous feed. I'd find a different LC too.

This this this. I can't fathom why anyone would recommend pumping and then bottle-feeding to build up supply when a suckling baby does the job extremely well on it's own. I had my kid hanging off me at least every other hour for the first couple of weeks, and I could've feed a small village on the amount of milk I had during those first few weeks when I was both food and a glorified pacifier.

Your baby has spent the last 9 months with food on tap, and he's still got an extremely small stomach, so it needs filling up frequently. The only reason human babies are born at 9 months, is because that's the limit to how long they can spend in there and still squeeze out through our relatively narrow pelvises. But entering the world doesn't mean that he's ready for three square meals a day. It helps to think of the first few months as a fourth trimester - baby needs food all the time and a lot of sleep.
It's great he's got his days and nights sorted out, by the way, some infants have trouble with that.

And yes, overweight infants are so rare that they make headlines in the papers when they do crop up.

And re: fussiness - congratulations, you've got a baby ;) They do that - a lot. Their digestive system is maturing and growing, and that's bound to be uncomfortable. We paced the floor (and nursed a poo poo ton) with our daughter for hours every night for about 6 weeks before she seemed to find her bearings tummy-wise.

Sockmuppet fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Jan 9, 2015

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

kimcicle posted:

Lactation consultant. Recommended pumping every 2 hours until she makes enough milk. However, when he's hungry he refuses to latch and only seems to drink from the bottle. So we've taken to pumping the breastmilk beforehand and then mixing with premade formula.

So, My wife had these same concerns - took 3 days for milk to come in, and it was stressful for her as she wanted to feed our newborn. Please keep in mind that lactation consultants and LLL and well, just about everyone have opinions all over the place on "how much to feed, how long to feed", etc. I'm not going to get into that at all.

Example: Our pediatrician told us we were fine, our midwife (who is a lactation consultant) said she needed to do it differently, wifey's mom (who was a LLL leader years ago while raising my wife) said we were fine. So it's not really all different than the "what pregnant women can eat" situation where information is inconsistent. Midwife even told us to get donor milk during those first 3 days, as well. We mostly/almost completely didn't end up using it.

What I've found for fussiness is:
baby wants to eat/sleep/diaper change/gassy.

One other cure we've found for the gassiness is: make sure as hell you burp your baby after feeding, and also keep the baby generally upright/on your shoulder mostly upright. Also the bicycle thing with the feet and rubbing baby's belly.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Today is due date, not too much longer now. I guess I'll be able to stop reading this thread and switch to the kid thread soon, hah. At least I'm not the one who has to go through the eventual labour and delivery pains personally, I will only experience them second hand, but it actually feels like it's really real now, which is something we've had some trouble with.

Wish me luck. Just hoping it doesn't take another week and a half, which means we'll probably try to induce.

Ambellina
Dec 6, 2005

Those who ride against us will be murdered where they stand

GlyphGryph posted:

Today is due date, not too much longer now. I guess I'll be able to stop reading this thread and switch to the kid thread soon, hah. At least I'm not the one who has to go through the eventual labour and delivery pains personally, I will only experience them second hand, but it actually feels like it's really real now, which is something we've had some trouble with.

Wish me luck. Just hoping it doesn't take another week and a half, which means we'll probably try to induce.

Tomorrow is my due date, and I'm in the same boat as you it sounds like. I have an appointment on Thursday to find out if/when I'll need to be induced. I am just hoping this baby gets here before then.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

A week ago my wife was diagnosed with gestational diabetes. We've been able to control it completely with diet but it makes meal planning a little challenging. This week, the internal ultrasound showed that her cervix was about 1cm thick so she was sent over to the hospital for an examination and shots and progesterone prescription. Now she's on modified bed rest and we're only at 31 weeks tomorrow. We joke that she's living the life having me wait on her need but it really is going to be a lot of work.

This pregnancy went from pretty easy to really complicated really quickly.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

EngineerJoe posted:

A week ago my wife was diagnosed with gestational diabetes. We've been able to control it completely with diet but it makes meal planning a little challenging. This week, the internal ultrasound showed that her cervix was about 1cm thick so she was sent over to the hospital for an examination and shots and progesterone prescription. Now she's on modified bed rest and we're only at 31 weeks tomorrow. We joke that she's living the life having me wait on her need but it really is going to be a lot of work.

Good luck. It sounds like you are in good hands at least. If you have friends around I would say to not be afraid to ask for them to stop by or make food for her within the dietary restrictions. I'm finding that once I ask for something I end up with a nice response.

We had our friend over to paint the nursery and the ladder fell while he was on it and he broke his leg. We are really lucky we have friends around the corner that could come help him and then come the next day and help us finish the painting. A little excitement around here for sure.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*

EngineerJoe posted:

I was diagnosed with GD at 14 weeks (tested early as I had it once before). It really got me down for a while, I hated having to be so strict with everything and felt chained down with all the monitoring and scheduled eating. It does get easier as you get used to it, though, promise!

I can only imagine how depressed I would get on bedrest. I'm bad enough with being sore all the time. I hope your wife doesn't find it too horrible, and that it goes quickly.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Big Bug Hug posted:

I was diagnosed with GD at 14 weeks (tested early as I had it once before). It really got me down for a while, I hated having to be so strict with everything and felt chained down with all the monitoring and scheduled eating. It does get easier as you get used to it, though, promise!

I can only imagine how depressed I would get on bedrest. I'm bad enough with being sore all the time. I hope your wife doesn't find it too horrible, and that it goes quickly.

The food isn't so bad because we did a controlled carb diet last year so it's pretty much the same ratios. The wife is on day 2 of bedrest and so far she's keeping busy watching tv and crocheting booties. We're generally pretty sedentary so I think she'll be ok.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

EngineerJoe posted:

The food isn't so bad because we did a controlled carb diet last year so it's pretty much the same ratios. The wife is on day 2 of bedrest and so far she's keeping busy watching tv and crocheting booties. We're generally pretty sedentary so I think she'll be ok.

I was on bedrest for...12 weeks? I think? Maybe 10? (Amazing how the brain blocks out unpleasant poo poo, huh?). What I wasn't expecting from it going in was how much it physically HURT to lay in bed. It was really painful. We were prepared for boredom, I had tv and Netflix and a Kindle and a laptop with an MMORPG right next to the bed. But my body just *hurt* after a few days, and there wasn't any way for me to get comfortable, all I could really do was roll from one painful side to the other painful side (and we actually own an incredibly comfortable bed) Buy your wife ALLLL the pillows. The one sold for pregnancy I liked best was the Snoogle, but I got a lot of use out of just tons of regular pillows as well. I spent a lot of time building and rearranging nests in an effort to take pressure off the more painful parts.

Man, my cats were so pissed when the baby was born, suddenly their captive audience wasn't just laying there 24/7 to provide them with love upon demand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
My old friend rib pain has blossomed into full-on tearing, burning in the right half of my abdomen, constant but varying from "ouch" to "holy gently caress kill me" depending on how much I've been moving, or doing anything but laying on my side. I can't sleep, I can't stand in the kitchen long enough to cook a decent meal without bringing myself to tears, I can't get comfortable anywhere.

Went to the doctor yesterday, just the GP as my OB appointment is wednesday. Lungs, blood pressure etc are all fine, baby never stops moving, all looks good. Except I guess I have 3 more months of not being able to do poo poo and of being in agony. Unless (please universe) it just stops randomly at some point, which according to my Dr, can happen, but probably won't.

My partner is doing almost everything around here and I feel like a useless lump, and I guess me being in tears all the time has become the expected thing because come evening I'm usually curled up in pain while he sits on the couch and plays games. He's really considerate in some ways but getting a back rub out of him lately is like pulling teeth. I'm grateful when he asks if I want anything and he makes me an iced coffee, but then his job is done and he zones out on the computer until he's ready to sleep.

Worst part is I really can't complain because he's the best and really does a lot, I'm just struggling and I don't know how to handle it day in and day out. I've had chronic pain issues in the past I've worked really hard to overcome/live with and this all feels like I've regressed to 2 years ago.

Nothing anyone can probably help with... just ranting.