Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Dates are always changed around, it's not a big deal.

People are just making all these decisions public now to create a constant buzz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah. If you polled average people (who actually know what an X-man is), Gambit would easily make top 5, and Cyclops wouldn't even make top 10. He's pretty much Marvel's Aquaman.

How? Cyclops was in the X-Men movies and all the cartoons too. Gambit hasn't been in any films yet. More people would know Cyclops simply from him being the foil for Wolverine in the movies and 90's cartoon.

But why am I arguing with you? It's pointless.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Cyclops has laser eyes, how can you think he's not popular?

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Gambit was in X-Men Origins: Wolverine.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Codependent Poster posted:

How? Cyclops was in the X-Men movies and all the cartoons too. Gambit hasn't been in any films yet. More people would know Cyclops simply from him being the foil for Wolverine in the movies and 90's cartoon.
He isn't saying more people KNOW Gambit than Cyclops, he's talking about which one people like.

And nobody likes Cyclops.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

theflyingorc posted:

He isn't saying more people KNOW Gambit than Cyclops, he's talking about which one people like.

I like Cyclops. :doom:

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Scott Summers doesn't even like Cyclops.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

theflyingorc posted:

Fuckin' Cyclops.

Scott Summers? More like...Scott DUMBers!

Sumo
Jun 17, 2005

Sumo fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jan 6, 2015

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Oh no, how will people with bad design sense make stupid minimalist fan posters of that?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Nice double-dong.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Looks like they've made no real changes to the costume since Wright's test footage. I'm still surprised they didn't open up the helmet a bit, most of the comics versions have the mouth and eyes exposed.

Dacap fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jan 6, 2015

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

Oh no, how will people with bad design sense make stupid minimalist fan posters of that?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Waterhaul posted:

Dates are always changed around, it's not a big deal.

People are just making all these decisions public now to create a constant buzz.

While I won't deny the movie has a buzz...I'm not sure it's one the Fox was looking for.

Also Fantastic Four is turning in a hilarious, albeit depressing, example of how not to do a reboot.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

gfanikf posted:

While I won't deny the movie has a buzz...I'm not sure it's one the Fox was looking for.

Also Fantastic Four is turning in a hilarious, albeit depressing, example of how not to do a reboot.

But nothing has been shown about it how can you judge if it's how not to do a reboot? It's got a good cast and good director, at least see anything from the film before dismissing it as an ultimate failure.

And everybody was saying the same thing about First Class.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Waterhaul posted:

But nothing has been shown about it how can you judge if it's how not to do a reboot? It's got a good cast and good director, at least see anything from the film before dismissing it as an ultimate failure.
Exactly. There's just no information about the film except that Doom hacker thing (which does seem dumb), but there's not, like, an avalanche of bad information coming out or anything.

We've got:
Some incredibly early production stills
One interview with the Doom guy
The fact that they haven't released almost anything about the movie yet

We have exactly nothing to judge the film on.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Waterhaul posted:

And everybody was saying the same thing about First Class.

What the hell has the director or cast done?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

gfanikf posted:

Where's Johnny? Where's Johnny?
Doctor Doom was a drat dirty ape in Dawn of the Apes.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bobkatt013 posted:

Where's Johnny? Where's Johnny?
Doctor Doom was a drat dirty ape in Dawn of the Apes.

So nothing terribly impressive or am I missing something?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

gfanikf posted:

So nothing terribly impressive?

The Wire is not impressive?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bobkatt013 posted:

The Wire is not impressive?

Eh never really got into.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

gfanikf posted:

IMDB does exist y'know.

Trank did Chronicle which was one of the better superhero films of the last few years. Kate Mara, Miles Teller, Toby Kebbell, Jamie Bell and Michael B. Jordan are all good actors, at the very least decent and have their fair share of good things under their belt. Even Tim Blake Nelson is good casting as Mole Man.

Waterhaul fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jan 6, 2015

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Reed won a best actor award at Sundance, Johnny was in The Wire and Friday Night Lights, Ben was Billy Elliot, and Chronicle was the best superhero movie released in 2012.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

Reed won a best actor award at Sundance, Johnny was in The Wire and Friday Night Lights, Ben was Billy Elliot, and Chronicle was the best superhero movie released in 2012.

And Toby Kebbell (who is playing Doom) is loving charismatic as hell.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

gfanikf posted:

Michael B Jordan, at the very least, is awesome.

Consider, also, that the last Fantastic 4 movie had Chris Evans (who was recognizable, but not that famous), Jessica Alba, Michael Chiklis, and Guy from Charmed and Nip/Tuck (don't know his name, don't care). Except Reed, they were all much more high profile than the current crop of cast, and the movie was garbage so that's not exactly a bullet point that means much.

theflyingorc fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jan 6, 2015

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So acting wise basically a guy on the wire and some people who did some drama and tv movies?

I mean so far no one is really even besting silver surfer from the last one.

Look I'm sure they're all nice actors, but I can't say I'm really excited by any of them.

I'm sure the guy from the Wire is good, as even though I never watched it, it has a similar acting rep for its cast as people who were on Oz (ie really good actors).

Silver Surfer was garbage, but oddly tolerable garbage...well on video when I could flip around and fast forward.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

gfanikf posted:

So acting wise basically a guy on the wire and some people who did some drama and tv movies?

I mean so far no one is really even besting silver surfer from the last one.

Look I'm sure they're all nice actors, but I can't say I'm really excited by any of them.

I'm sure the guy from the Wire is good, as even though I never watched it, it has a similar acting rep for its cast as people who were on Oz (ie really good actors).

Silver Surfer was garbage, but oddly tolerable garbage...well on video when I could flip around and fast forward.

Some serious troll posting going on here is the only way I can interpret "so acting wise basically a guy on the wire and some people who did some drama and tv movies." Especially considering you can dispel that notion with a two second trip to imdb.

Teller and Jordan are hyper charismatic rising stars that have won accolades and praise for performances in movies such as Whiplash and Fruitvale Station. There is absolutely no better get than those two. Mara I'm not too big on, but Kebbell should be amazing.

If anything goes wrong with this movie, it will not be because of the talent of the cast.

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jan 6, 2015

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Codependent Poster posted:

But why am I arguing with you? It's pointless.

To be fair the movies pretty much hated Cyclops too. Just look at the third one. Appears for about 5 minutes and is pretty much killed off screen and none of his friends care enough to even grieve about it. The only way it could have been worst for him is if Wolverine and Jean Grey had sex on top of his grave while his tombstone read "Scot Soomers"

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Apparently they did that because he took the role in Superman.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Aphrodite posted:

Apparently they did that because he took the role in Superman.

They could still have figured out a better way. Like... getting another actor... or... getting another actor.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Lurdiak posted:

They could still have figured out a better way. Like... getting another actor... or... getting another actor.

It wasn't about finding a better way, it was about being spiteful.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Lurdiak posted:

Fox were sticking to their early release date and pushing through, he was never going to get recast for the 5 minutes of screen time he would be getting anyway.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Madkal posted:

To be fair the movies pretty much hated Cyclops too. Just look at the third one. Appears for about 5 minutes and is pretty much killed off screen and none of his friends care enough to even grieve about it. The only way it could have been worst for him is if Wolverine and Jean Grey had sex on top of his grave while his tombstone read "Scot Soomers"
The 2nd one is worse, he disappears for the middle third of the film, then when he shows up again he's evil. I'm no big fan of Cyclops, but he got a really raw deal in the X-Men films.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Waterhaul posted:

Fox were sticking to their early release date and pushing through, he was never going to get recast for the 5 minutes of screen time he would be getting anyway.

Yea, the whole reason they hired Ratner was so he could turn out a movie in record time. It also explains the drop in quality.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Dacap posted:

Looks like they've made no real changes to the costume since Wright's test footage. I'm still surprised they didn't open up the helmet a bit, most of the comics versions have the mouth and eyes exposed.

I'm hoping we get a little flare of the O'Grady ant-man in Rudd's personality. That was a fun series to read.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Telling the Phoenix Saga without scott summers is like doing the death of superman without lois lane. You're taking out the person who should be the primary emotional respondent to the events unfolding.

edit: cyclops is super cool

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jan 6, 2015

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Ignite Memories posted:

Telling the Phoenix Saga without scott summers is like doing the death of superman without lois lane. You're taking out the person who should be the primary emotional respondent to the events unfolding.

Well, a big part of the problem with Cyclops in the movies is that the main character is Wolverine by a long shot.

It's pretty weird that DoFP means that Jean is back, the events of X-men 3 and The Wolverine have made her much more Logan's love interest than Scott's.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

The Jean dream sequences were one of the worst loving things about The Wolverine

(the other worst thing about The Wolverine was pretty much everything else)

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

irlZaphod posted:

The Jean dream sequences were one of the worst loving things about The Wolverine

(the other worst thing about The Wolverine was pretty much everything else)

I enjoyed The Wolverine, but I agree with you that the Jean parts were not great.

The movie succeeded in Not Being Wolverine Origins, a notable improvement

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

theflyingorc posted:

I enjoyed The Wolverine, but I agree with you that the Jean parts were not great.

The movie succeeded in Not Being Wolverine Origins, a notable improvement

The Jean parts were very important to the story that they wanted to tell, as the beginning of the movie due to guilt he is living alone and has a death wish. It is only when he accepted that Jean was dead and that he wanted to live he was able to get over it.

• Locked thread