Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Yeah that was my thought as well. I did have to call some people back when I was adjusting their order after the call and it would change their install date.

I found some ebook on these kinds of questions so I'm going to be reading that today and tomorrow to get a better understanding.

Also, is this a good basic resume?

Harminoff fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Dec 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy
I have to be on call 24/7 for my current job. There is a .05% chance of my employees needing to get in touch with me. If I go into an interview, is it a better idea to
make the interviewer aware of this, or just turn the phone off because I'm not realistically going to be contacted?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

ChrisHansen posted:

I have to be on call 24/7 for my current job. There is a .05% chance of my employees needing to get in touch with me. If I go into an interview, is it a better idea to
make the interviewer aware of this, or just turn the phone off because I'm not realistically going to be contacted?
Most employers are aware that the majority of candidates don't want their employers to know they're on the market. I'd go with the third option, which is to leave your phone on and let it go to voicemail if it rings. Check your voicemail between interviews, assuming a multi-step process where each person's going to want 20-30 minutes with you. If it's something you can resolve with a short phone call, ask for a short break to return an important phone call and excuse yourself. If it's something you can't, play it by ear based on the feel you've gotten for the company.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

ChrisHansen posted:

Turn your ringer off.

You were on the can / in the subway / having a tooth removed.

Seriously, if it was 24/7/365 must-be-answered-now call, they'd have a rotation. Heck, if it was THAT important, they'd have someone manning a desk in the office. The world's not going to end if you let a call go to voicemail. Call back in half an hour.

Source: I'm on call a week a month.

Do not pick up the phone during an interview. poo poo don't have your phone ring during an interview.

Big Spoon
Jan 29, 2009

Want that feelin'
Need that feelin'
Love that feelin'
Feel that feelin'

ChrisHansen posted:

Agreeing with everyone here. I'd leave your phone on mute so no one knows if you get a call. DO NOT look at your phone from the moment you enter the building until you leave.

The only reason you even have your phone on you is if the interviewer has a heart attack or some emergency happens.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Big Spoon posted:

Agreeing with everyone here. I'd leave your phone on mute so no one knows if you get a call. DO NOT look at your phone from the moment you enter the building until you leave.

The only reason you even have your phone on you is if the interviewer has a heart attack or some emergency happens.
Let's be real though -- most people take sick days, not vacation days or personal time, to go on job interviews, especially in places where there's an expectation of providing notice in advance of vacation time. It might arouse suspicion if your phone just happens to be off for a 4-hour chunk of time and your landline is going to the answering machine while you're supposed to be out sick.

shabbat goy
Oct 4, 2008

Xandu posted:

Depends where you work, but I wouldn't assume they can get in touch with your supervisor unless you give out their info.

I know that all my previous supervisors (as well as my current one) would give good recommendations for me, and I informed them that I would be beginning the application process so they won't be surprised by calls if they get them. Would it be reasonable to have two separate reference sections, one for non-supervisor and one for supervisor? I imagine doing something like having two columns on the reference page with the headings being "References" and "Former Supervisors," but if there's a better way to do this or better headings, I would appreciate any and all advice.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
As someone just graduating from college and looking for an entry level job, is it appropriate to include volunteer experience to pad out my resume?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Eschatos posted:

As someone just graduating from college and looking for an entry level job, is it appropriate to include volunteer experience to pad out my resume?
Absolutely, especially if the skills are relevant to the position you're applying for! It's not padding at all, and it's doubly useful if you can put any advisors, mentors, supervisors, etc. from those volunteer jobs as professional references. My wife is a nurse and a midwife student and still includes her past experience in EMS.

I'm assuming you're talking about real volunteer experience with registered organizations, and not moderating your friend's video game message boards or something.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

Misogynist posted:

Absolutely, especially if the skills are relevant to the position you're applying for! It's not padding at all, and it's doubly useful if you can put any advisors, mentors, supervisors, etc. from those volunteer jobs as professional references. My wife is a nurse and a midwife student and still includes her past experience in EMS.

I'm assuming you're talking about real volunteer experience with registered organizations, and not moderating your friend's video game message boards or something.

They're not exactly relevant to my career choice(IT), but three out of four are legit volunteer organizations. Actually it'd probably be simpler if I just linked it here. I'm also not too sure about the general formatting with bolding vs. larger font sizes. Don't feel obligated to critique it in detail(unless you want to). Any advice is appreciated.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Eschatos posted:

They're not exactly relevant to my career choice(IT), but three out of four are legit volunteer organizations. Actually it'd probably be simpler if I just linked it here. I'm also not too sure about the general formatting with bolding vs. larger font sizes. Don't feel obligated to critique it in detail(unless you want to). Any advice is appreciated.
It's hard to post any kind of real annotations on a PDF. Would you mind uploading as a Word document or whatever you're using?

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

Misogynist posted:

It's hard to post any kind of real annotations on a PDF. Would you mind uploading as a Word document or whatever you're using?

No problem. I don't have Word, so I figured PDFs would be more accepted than .odt files. Here.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

Diabetes By Sundown posted:

I know that all my previous supervisors (as well as my current one) would give good recommendations for me, and I informed them that I would be beginning the application process so they won't be surprised by calls if they get them. Would it be reasonable to have two separate reference sections, one for non-supervisor and one for supervisor? I imagine doing something like having two columns on the reference page with the headings being "References" and "Former Supervisors," but if there's a better way to do this or better headings, I would appreciate any and all advice.

I just denote which references are supervisors on my list, and put a note next to contact info that'll just get someone who can only confirm/deny I worked there.

Zelamir
Jun 25, 2005
I am updating my resume and not sure how to handle a few things:

I'm in the fashion industry and started as a temp in an administrative support role (calendars, travel, shipping, catering). In the past two years those responsibilities have transferred off my plate and I have come to manage 2 product categories which are responsible for double digit $M in revenue, and established a wholesale business. Because my responsibilities have changed so much, is there a good way to show this in bullet points? My title has not changed (working on this!)

Is it kosher to list financial info such as category revenue? Would it be best to keep this in percentages (category grew X% YOY, addition of wholesale channel brought an additional X% above plan)? The company I work for is publicly traded, but we are a sub-brand and specific info is not provided.

I've been interview potential new hires for my team. We use a lot of excel, so seeing 'advanced in excel' is one of the things that generally leads to an in-person interview. The majority of the time, they will end up saying that they use it for making pie charts and basic data tables. Is it okay to be specific on the resume, and give examples? I use vlookups, conditional functions, pivot tables, etc. on a daily basis to manage my category reporting/line plan and feel they're pretty valuable skills in my field.

Any insight is appreciated!

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
So I opened up my resume in Word so I could update a reference, and I had a sudden, horrible realization.

My Resume, which I have been sending out for the last Four Months, had a... slight oversight on my part.

The lovely thing is, I still got at least eight job interviews and a job, and nobody mentioned it! I can't imagine the opportunities I missed because of this simple, stupid mistake.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Misogynist posted:

It might arouse suspicion if your phone just happens to be off for a 4-hour chunk of time and your landline is going to the answering machine while you're supposed to be out sick.

The gently caress?

Turn your phone off, or leave it on mute. Don't think more of it than that.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Mirthless posted:

So I opened up my resume in Word so I could update a reference, and I had a sudden, horrible realization.

My Resume, which I have been sending out for the last Four Months, had a... slight oversight on my part.

The lovely thing is, I still got at least eight job interviews and a job, and nobody mentioned it! I can't imagine the opportunities I missed because of this simple, stupid mistake.

I forgot to take out some of the anonymizing filler text from mine from when I posted it here and I don't think anyone noticed. I was mortified when I noticed it though.

denizen
Aug 12, 2003
i am the only denizen
What is the expected length and structure of a cover letter? The job uses the cover letter to select for interviews and as a "writing sample." Should I buy one of those books on writing cover letters? The position is in state parks.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

denizen posted:

What is the expected length and structure of a cover letter? The job uses the cover letter to select for interviews and as a "writing sample." Should I buy one of those books on writing cover letters? The position is in state parks.
The cover letter should be an initial pitch, explaining in very broad terms why you're the best candidate available for the position. The length of the cover letter should be bounded by how much you have behind you in terms of bragging rights, and what's the minimum that you absolutely need to get your point across.

Books on cover letters are a scam. Read up on how to market and sell things instead. The cover letter is just an extension of that.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Is there an easy way to cut and paste or otherwise take my PDF resume and put it in the body of an email? Or translate it to a word document and then cut and paste from that? Every time I attempt it ruins the formatting :(

SSJ Reeko
Nov 4, 2009
Howdy folks, I've read a fair bit of the thread and am trying to update my resume to I can find something better than the freelance sales work I'm doing right now. I'm looking to apply to some retail tech jobs, Best Buy's Geek Squad is the one I have in mind and am tailoring a resume for right now. I've built a lot of computers and am comfortable selling things, having sold 60k in electronic gizmos since June. I'm hoping I can get some advice on my resume.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/is1b3mc8rqt78n5/ReekostestResumeDec2014.docx?dl=0

I've attempted to tune it towards emphasizing computer knowledge and high sales amounts, but I'm not sold on my phrasing and I haven't ever had any actual tech job nor do I have credentials. Outside of my current online sales job and some months spent as a hardware tester, all of my work experience has been contracting with various construction companies. I'd like to include something about all of that experience given that it's tough work and shows that I can handle stress and difficult conditions. However, building houses doesn't really have anything to do with fixing computers and selling anti-virus packages, so I've left all of it out for now.

Any thoughts would be great, I'm not really sure what else to change at this point.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Is there an easy way to cut and paste or otherwise take my PDF resume and put it in the body of an email? Or translate it to a word document and then cut and paste from that? Every time I attempt it ruins the formatting :(

If you're emailing it why not just add it as an attachment?

I know it's a pain in the rear end to keep two separate versions of your resume but I keep an un-formatted .doc version of my resume for copy/pasting into job postings.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Because some people hiring still live in the 1800s and won't open attachments, they want it pasted into the body of the email.

I really like my pdf resume :/

n00b
Jul 13, 2006
Dunno if this can help any goons, but I've recently started putting URL trackers in my resumes and job applications in order to see if my resume is getting past the Taleo trap. So far it hasn't landed me any interviews, but has at least boosted my confidence a little that employers are actually seeing my applications and (sometimes) checking out my work that I linked to in my resume.

If you're not sure how to do this, I wrote a short blog post about it with a step-by-step guide. My plan is to eventually go full Big Brother and use the data to figure out which applications are working or not working, and tailor the resumes and cover letters accordingly.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

n00b posted:

Dunno if this can help any goons, but I've recently started putting URL trackers in my resumes and job applications in order to see if my resume is getting past the Taleo trap. So far it hasn't landed me any interviews, but has at least boosted my confidence a little that employers are actually seeing my applications and (sometimes) checking out my work that I linked to in my resume.

If you're not sure how to do this, I wrote a short blog post about it with a step-by-step guide. My plan is to eventually go full Big Brother and use the data to figure out which applications are working or not working, and tailor the resumes and cover letters accordingly.

Holy cow, I had no idea Taleo was a trap. Has anyone tried appending the keywords to the end of their CV and see if that gets it through?

n00b
Jul 13, 2006
It was more a figure of speech, I don't think it's an actual trap but I certainly get the feeling that sending an application through the Taleo portal is like farting into a black hole. My understanding is that simply inserting key words into the resume won't be enough, as HR usually is looking for phrases containing the keywords. It's best to tailor each resume and cover letter with full phrases as opposed to just pasting them into your application. If there's any HR goons reading this, I'd love to hear about your experiences with Taleo or other online application software!

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

n00b posted:

It was more a figure of speech, I don't think it's an actual trap but I certainly get the feeling that sending an application through the Taleo portal is like farting into a black hole. My understanding is that simply inserting key words into the resume won't be enough, as HR usually is looking for phrases containing the keywords. It's best to tailor each resume and cover letter with full phrases as opposed to just pasting them into your application. If there's any HR goons reading this, I'd love to hear about your experiences with Taleo or other online application software!

I get what you mean, I just had no idea that formatting could be a problem with Taleo because it might not link words on different lines as being part of the same phrase or something. Google searches turn up a lot of speculation, I don't know what to believe. Anyway, in the eternal war between job seekers and HR personnel trying to shirk their responsibilities, this technique will eventually fall to the positional arms race of the job seekers.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
How important is it to include mailing addresses on cover letters that are sent electronically?
Several cover letter advice places say to always include my return address, then the company's address, before the body of the letter, as if it were a physical letter. But nearly all cover letters are now submitted electronically, either through a website or online form. Do the majority of hiring managers consider this format professional, does not not matter either way, or does it make me look out of touch?

I'm sure it depends on the company, so this is for a relatively large company that seems to be in the middle between traditional and cutting-edge, and for a non-IT position.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

HisMajestyBOB posted:

How important is it to include mailing addresses on cover letters that are sent electronically?
Several cover letter advice places say to always include my return address, then the company's address, before the body of the letter, as if it were a physical letter. But nearly all cover letters are now submitted electronically, either through a website or online form. Do the majority of hiring managers consider this format professional, does not not matter either way, or does it make me look out of touch?

I'm sure it depends on the company, so this is for a relatively large company that seems to be in the middle between traditional and cutting-edge, and for a non-IT position.
If your address is included elsewhere in the application, I wouldn't care in the slightest as long as it has your name on it. If you've omitted your physical address from the application process entirely, it would communicate that you are not geographically located in the same area as the open position, and are trying to either downplay or outright disguise that fact. This generally wouldn't bother me since positions I hire for have no physical location requirement to begin with, but others may react differently to that implication.

Some other food for thought:

Addresses can reveal a number of things about you that you may not want revealed, particularly if that information pertains to your inclusion in a protected class under law. An address in Astoria, Queens may connote a membership in a specific religion. An address in the Castro area of San Francisco may suggest a particular sexuality. An address in the Lower Ninth Ward of New Orleans would definitely suggest both a race and an income level. In the interest of fair treatment and non-discrimination, I've always been fine with applications submitted with no physical address. However, again, other people may feel differently, and people with latent biases might treat the lack of an address as connoting that you have something to hide.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jan 3, 2015

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Misogynist posted:

Addresses can reveal a number of things about you that you may not want revealed, particularly if that information pertains to your inclusion in a protected class under law. An address in Astoria, Queens may connote a membership in a specific religion. An address in the Castro area of San Francisco may suggest a particular sexuality. An address in the Lower Ninth Ward of New Orleans would definitely suggest both a race and an income level. In the interest of fair treatment and non-discrimination, I've always been fine with applications submitted with no physical address. However, again, other people may feel differently, and people with latent biases might treat the lack of an address as connoting that you have something to hide.

Quoting for truth.

I never had a problem applying for jobs with my address on my resume/cover letter until we moved into military base housing. Since that indicates I'll be leaving in a few years I basically got a giant "gently caress you" from all potential employers and some were even bold enough to say I was 100% qualified for the position but they weren't going to offer me the job simply because of that. I did manage to land a job in my field, but as a contractor and any attempts to become full time regular get shot down.

radlum
May 13, 2013
I've been working in a company for the last 2 months and now I'm thinking of looking for another job. At first I had issue with the payment (below the average for a lawyer my age), but now I've been increasingly frustated at the management of the company in many ways (both business decisions and internal management decisions).

If I get asked in an interview about my reasons for leaving, should I mention my issues with the management of the company? Or would that be giving too much information/make me look like a complainer/untrustworthy?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
At two months I'd almost consider not even putting it on the resume if you didn't have a gap before you got that job.

Edit: there's really no way to spin it positively. Definitely don't mention payment (you knew what you were getting into), if you leave it on your resume and it comes up, just say it's not working out and leave it at that.

Xandu fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jan 4, 2015

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

radlum posted:

I've been working in a company for the last 2 months and now I'm thinking of looking for another job. At first I had issue with the payment (below the average for a lawyer my age), but now I've been increasingly frustated at the management of the company in many ways (both business decisions and internal management decisions).

If I get asked in an interview about my reasons for leaving, should I mention my issues with the management of the company? Or would that be giving too much information/make me look like a complainer/untrustworthy?
"I don't agree with how the company is being run" is a red flag in an interviewer, but "the owners are taking some really big and questionable financial risks that are putting my job in jeopardy" sounds reasonable. Are you able to tell us more about what's going on behind the scenes?

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
This is probably stupid question, and I apologize. I just wanted to be sure of a couple of things. Should I mention my thesis as relevant coursework if rearing animals was part of it and I'm applying to be an aquarist*?

And if I volunteered at a place full and part time, do I list it twice or chronologically (I was full time for the month of spring break, then part time during dissertation work)? I suspect these are basic questions, but I wanted to do this right.

shabbat goy
Oct 4, 2008

Several of the jobs I'm applying for simply ask you to send your resumé and cover letter in an e-mail to some generic hr@[companyname].com e-mail address, so I'm not sure who it's going to. Is it a reasonable idea to call the company and ask to whom should I address my cover letter and e-mail, or is that sketchy? Should I instead just address everything "Dear Hiring Manager"?

N.N. Ashe
Dec 29, 2009

Several of the jobs I'm applying for simply ask you to send your resumé and cover letter in an e-mail to some generic hr@[companyname].com e-mail address, so I'm not sure who it's going to. Is it a reasonable idea to call the company and ask to whom should I address my cover letter and e-mail, or is that sketchy? Should I instead just address everything "Dear Hiring Manager"?

No it's not reasonable, they don't want to be bugged. That's the entire point of having a generic email. Address it however you want or not at all.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Plus, the recruiter who first reads your cover letter is very likely not the hiring manager anyway.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

The appropriate way to address an unknown person in American English is "to whom it may concern."

Pegged Lamb
Nov 5, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
So I've applied to two mortgage closing contract jobs through regional temp agencies. One of them claims they went with another candidate, the other I'm still awaiting an answer on. Would something like a trespassing misdemeanor 7 years ago disqualify me from something. like this? I'm applying as an out of state candidate so they'd have to be doing pretty thorough background checks. I also have not so great credit and have not worked in my field of training (finance degree) since I left school (4 years ago). This is pretty much my last effort to find anything relevant to my education-they're not even interviewing, just hiring directly. I've tried applying to everything from teller jobs to business analyst and can't even get interviews. I'm sick with worry

Pegged Lamb fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jan 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R2ICustomerSupport
Dec 12, 2004

SSJ Reeko posted:

Howdy folks, I've read a fair bit of the thread and am trying to update my resume to I can find something better than the freelance sales work I'm doing right now. I'm looking to apply to some retail tech jobs, Best Buy's Geek Squad is the one I have in mind and am tailoring a resume for right now. I've built a lot of computers and am comfortable selling things, having sold 60k in electronic gizmos since June. I'm hoping I can get some advice on my resume.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/is1b3mc8rqt78n5/ReekostestResumeDec2014.docx?dl=0

I've attempted to tune it towards emphasizing computer knowledge and high sales amounts, but I'm not sold on my phrasing and I haven't ever had any actual tech job nor do I have credentials. Outside of my current online sales job and some months spent as a hardware tester, all of my work experience has been contracting with various construction companies. I'd like to include something about all of that experience given that it's tough work and shows that I can handle stress and difficult conditions. However, building houses doesn't really have anything to do with fixing computers and selling anti-virus packages, so I've left all of it out for now.

Any thoughts would be great, I'm not really sure what else to change at this point.

Here is a VERY basic critique. Hope this helps!

Goon Approved Resume and CV Writing Service
http://bit.ly/ForumsCritique
My service will get you job interviews!