Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
A RX100 mk1 fits right into that price range, and I feel that it might be a better 35mm rangefinder/p&s style experience while still being as controllable as a DSLR. It's worth noting that most mirrorless cameras are still too big to fit in your pockets, unless you buy a m4/3 and are ok with the bodycap lenses.

You totally don't want a DSLR, since they'll be entirely too large and heavy for a daily carry camera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Also burst speed isn't as much of a problem these days, look at how the mirror less cameqs that cost the same as dalrs are doing. The a6000 has that glorious 11 fps burst and the Fuji xt1 does something like 7 or 8.

Autofocus still isn't as good but its getting there.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah the EM5 is 9 FPS and I think the EM1 is 10.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

spog posted:

Just bought a new body and got all excited when the Amazon guy delivered.

Only then did I realise that I had forgotten to order a memory card for it.

Joy of joy to find a 16GB Class 10 SD card, lying unused on a shelf. I still find it somewhat amazing how cheap/large these are - I still have some 4Mb cards lying around that cost a pretty penny when I bought them.

Crazy.

number one pta fan
Sep 6, 2011

my work is my play play
every day pay day
I was interested in the idea of a fixed lens as something that I could get and stick with but I felt like in the price range it makes sense to go mid-range interchangeable and I might as well embrace interchangeable.

I'm caught up between the EPL-7 and X-M1 I think.

EPL-7 seems to have a lot more robust lens ecosystem. I'm also interested in the option to add an EVF later on down the line, in-camera stabilisation, and the touch on the main screen is kind of appealing.

X-M1 has the better sensor and a second control dial on the back. It also comes with a free 50-320mm zoom which I can either use and enjoy or sell it on and get a nice short prime at a discount. They are apparently really good lenses although the minimum price of admission is £330-400.

I should probably transplant into the mirrorless thread. I'm going to plow through that and try to find some answers.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

What exactly is your main thing you're looking for? Both of those are good, but the X-M1 is going to be larger and more expensive to work in; the EPL will be far smaller, with a collapsing kit lens and multiple smaller good lenses as options later. As a dedicated travel camera, you'd probably be happier with the EPL-7, but if you want something to use as a regular camera the X-M1 might be more your speed.

number one pta fan
Sep 6, 2011

my work is my play play
every day pay day

Elliotw2 posted:

What exactly is your main thing you're looking for? Both of those are good, but the X-M1 is going to be larger and more expensive to work in; the EPL will be far smaller, with a collapsing kit lens and multiple smaller good lenses as options later. As a dedicated travel camera, you'd probably be happier with the EPL-7, but if you want something to use as a regular camera the X-M1 might be more your speed.

XM-1 seems like an entry-level big boy camera, EPL-7 seem like big boy entry-level cameras. XM-1 will produce marginally better images/allow processing raw in-camera but has the cost of entry associated with more serious cameras but the EPL-7 sacrifice the image quality purity for options in lenses, some more features (touchscreen, remote phone app), apparently much faster AF, etc. I'm going to go and try both out again, it's a significant investment of cash and not even my own cash so I'm just being cautious.

I know the 'better' option is probably the XM-1 but I'm nigglingly attracted to the bells/whistles/value of the Pen Lite range.

I'm discounting the EPL5 because of the lower res LCD, it's around a £50 difference but from trying them out I'm sold on the kind of pixel density of the EPL-7/X-M1.

vv I'm just thinking they have different intended markets, I'm just looking ahead. I also thought the larger sensors in the APS-Cs would be a bigger advantage but looking at it I'd made a bigger deal of it than it really is.

number one pta fan fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Dec 16, 2014

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

number one pta fan posted:

XM-1 seems like an entry-level big boy camera, EPL-5/EPL-7 seem like big boy entry-level cameras.

By all means, get your hands on some cameras and play, but that has got to be the finest and most meaningless distinction I've ever seen. Like a 7-year old lording it over his classmates because his birthday was in September and theirs aren't until October.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

M4/3 is by no means a entry level mount. The Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 is often considered one of the best lenses you can buy, and the Olympus E-M1 is a absolutely fantastic camera all around. M4/3 does dip much farther into the entry level side of the equation, but that doesn't make it any less capable a system than the XF line. Consider your future budget, go grab some cameras, and think about it a bit farther than "X-M1 pretty."

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
If you are looking at an XM-1 then look into an X-E1 possibly a used one. You get a VF and the kit lens is great.

number one pta fan
Sep 6, 2011

my work is my play play
every day pay day

Elliotw2 posted:

M4/3 is by no means a entry level mount. The Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 is often considered one of the best lenses you can buy, and the Olympus E-M1 is a absolutely fantastic camera all around. M4/3 does dip much farther into the entry level side of the equation, but that doesn't make it any less capable a system than the XF line. Consider your future budget, go grab some cameras, and think about it a bit farther than "X-M1 pretty."

Went for the Olympus. Happy with my choice, glad I thought it through.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
So I've ordered that Mitakon Dark Knight 50mm/0.95. Better not going to regret it. :toot:

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Is there a difference in buying from keh direct vs keg through amazon?

I'm looking to pull the trigger on a 60d body and I wonder if the pricing I see is real and hopefully problem free

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

The KEH listing on their website is cheaper than the Amazon listing, even with shipping, so I'd go for that.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

Combat Pretzel posted:

So I've ordered that Mitakon Dark Knight 50mm/0.95. Better not going to regret it. :toot:

Isn't Mitakon one of those companies that just rebadges Chinese-made lenses like SLRMagic or whatever? How much was the lens?

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Elliotw2 posted:

The KEH listing on their website is cheaper than the Amazon listing, even with shipping, so I'd go for that.

The amazon itself price is absurd, but used sellers show a keh seller for 460$ while its 486$ on site.

Unless you mean the bargain deals one which doesnt seem like a good option.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Roundboy posted:

The amazon itself price is absurd, but used sellers show a keh seller for 460$ while its 486$ on site.

Unless you mean the bargain deals one which doesnt seem like a good option.

KEH bargain is always a good deal unless you're super super picky about having one surface scratch on the tripod mount or whatever. BGN on keh is "very good" everywhere else basically.

Geektox posted:

Isn't Mitakon one of those companies that just rebadges Chinese-made lenses like SLRMagic or whatever? How much was the lens?

They bought/made this design themselves I think, but I really don't see the point of a f/0.95 lens, doubly so when it's not the best quality possible. Only $900!

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.
Anyone have experience with getting a gift certificate to KEH for someone? I want to get one as a christmas gift for someone, and from searching around on the KEH website, it sounds like that's possible, but it's not immediately apparent how to get one (as opposed, say, to Adorama, where it's easy to order a gift card in various amounts). I suppose I can chalk this up to the lo-fi charm of KEH's site. Do you need to just call them? Do they e-mail you a code or something?

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Elliotw2 posted:

KEH bargain is always a good deal unless you're super super picky about having one surface scratch on the tripod mount or whatever. BGN on keh is "very good" everywhere else basically.

good to know.. i was scared away by the 'more then average finsih wear' and other description. unless with camera bodies its more of a dice roll.

amazon KEH seller gets me : "KEH Grade Excellent. Comes with Battery and Charger! KEH's 180 Day Warranty!" for $460 shipped

$35 for a excellent jump over 70%-79% using thier own rating system seems worth it? But I am a used camera noob. How often does the canon refurb store restock ?

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

McCoy Pauley posted:

Anyone have experience with getting a gift certificate to KEH for someone? I want to get one as a christmas gift for someone, and from searching around on the KEH website, it sounds like that's possible, but it's not immediately apparent how to get one (as opposed, say, to Adorama, where it's easy to order a gift card in various amounts). I suppose I can chalk this up to the lo-fi charm of KEH's site. Do you need to just call them? Do they e-mail you a code or something?

edit: er, poo poo I thought you meant B&H, not Keh. But still, heed my warning, B&H gift certificate wanters:

No they do not. They ship you a goddamn plastic card gift certificate in a large box by UPS in the Year Of Our Lord And Saviour Jesus Christ Two Thousand And Fourteen. I learned this when I tried to buy someone a gift cert from B&H for a mod challenge thing.

It would actually probably be easier to give them an Amazon gift card and they could still buy pretty much all the same stuff.

SoundMonkey fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Dec 18, 2014

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Geektox posted:

That's Noktor I think. That Mitakon lens is made by a company called Zhongyi Optics or something. From tests I've seen, it's sharper and has less fringing and CA than the Hyperprime. It was 749€ when ordering in Slovenia, 899€ in the rest of Europe. Hooray for no import taxes in the east.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

What are people's thoughts on/experiences with the Contax G system?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Helicity posted:

What are people's thoughts on/experiences with the Contax G system?

I haven't got one or used one, but I do have it's distant cousin, the Contax T2, which is a sexy beast of a camera. I wouldn't mind having a G2 myself, but I'm not into film much anymore and the G2 plus lenses is more money than I can afford right now. The best thing about the G system is probably the lenses as you get sweet, sweet Zeiss goodness in a small package. The lenses are also good for adapting to mirrorless cameras because of that small size and short focal distance.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

I was thinking of trying one out since the G1 bodies with LCD bleed are only $90, but it's kind of scary that you won't be able to get them repaired after another year or so. The glass is definitely a big part of the reason why I'm interested in the system.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
I can already feel the scoffs closing in before I ask this question, but I just found out about those manual 500mm fixed f/8 mirror lenses and I am wondering if anyone here has first hand experience using them. Obviously there are a lot of downsides but for the price I figure it might be fun to play around with. Roughly $100 for a 500mm lens and a 2x teleconverter? Not bad in photography bux.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

BANME.sh posted:

I can already feel the scoffs closing in before I ask this question, but I just found out about those manual 500mm fixed f/8 mirror lenses and I am wondering if anyone here has first hand experience using them. Obviously there are a lot of downsides but for the price I figure it might be fun to play around with. Roughly $100 for a 500mm lens and a 2x teleconverter? Not bad in photography bux.

I used to have one, it was okay for what it was and what I paid.

The bokeys aren't (usually) as bad as you'd think actually.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Aren't they like donut shaped? I've thought about playing with them before, but then I think about how much trouble I have focusing properly at 300mm f/8 and reconsider.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Elliotw2 posted:

Aren't they like donut shaped? I've thought about playing with them before, but then I think about how much trouble I have focusing properly at 300mm f/8 and reconsider.

They can be in certain situations, and are never GREAT, but they were only the stereotypical donut shape in a few shots I took with that lens.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I think you should go for it - $100 is nothing in photobux and if the 2x TC is included it's going to be worth screwing around with on other lenses anyway.

Also, you can try to make images that include lots of ring-related puns. Wagner, Tolkein, Beyonce, all are open for ring-based humour.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
I've just scored an ex-display Sony RX-100 for a paltry £95

Not sure if I should keep it or flip it?

If I ebay it, should get maybe double that? Or use it to replace my Canon S90 which is great, but shows the limitation of the sensor.

I've got a Panasonic GF5 with a good prime that is pocketable and top-quality, so is it redundant?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

spog posted:

I've just scored an ex-display Sony RX-100 for a paltry £95

Not sure if I should keep it or flip it?

If I ebay it, should get maybe double that? Or use it to replace my Canon S90 which is great, but shows the limitation of the sensor.

I've got a Panasonic GF5 with a good prime that is pocketable and top-quality, so is it redundant?

Nice, I've been looking for an rx-100 for a while and thats a great price.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

ExecuDork posted:

I think you should go for it - $100 is nothing in photobux and if the 2x TC is included it's going to be worth screwing around with on other lenses anyway.

Also, you can try to make images that include lots of ring-related puns. Wagner, Tolkein, Beyonce, all are open for ring-based humour.

You can't use the TC on anything else unless the 'else' is in T mount. These lenses come by default in T-mount with an adapter ring to the mount you really ordered. The TC sits between the lens and the adapter. Also: The TC is poo poo.

The lenses themselves aren't bad- they're reasonably hard to gently caress up in terms of design and don't suffer CA as much as actual glass (mirrors don't introduce CA). I have one and it's fun to mess with, but at f/8 it's a dog in anything but perfect conditions. It's also surprisingly sturdy, and the focus is well damped with enough pitch to make it reasonably easy to get as close to 'sharp' as you can expect from a $100 lens.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Elliotw2 posted:

Yeah, with a reflector design, you're going to get donut-shaped renderings of spots in the out-of-focus areas. Usually not a problem when the reflector is in a telescope and you're pointing it at a single object with nothing in front of or behind it, but decidedly ugly compared with an all-glass lens of equivalent length.

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005

BANME.sh posted:

I have a pristine copy of a 500mm f/8 Nikkor which I've used on my a7r. It might have produced sharpish images back in the day on film, but no matter how hard I try I can't get an image I'd call "pin sharp". I've tried using it to take wildlife/bird pics as well as astro with very limited success, and even with completely stationary subjects using everything at my disposal to get a sharp shot (bright sunlight, remote shutter, weighted tripod on solid ground etc.) it's never great - I get better results using my 200mm and 2x tele-extender.

Then there's the fact that the doughnut bokeh is seriously distracting. You could conceivably use that for some really specific artsy photos I guess, but generally it only detracts from photos. The one plus is that they're unrivalled in terms of portability given the focal length, but honestly I can't see myself using my 500mm much at all because the picture quality isn't what I'd want it to be.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Maybe the mirrors are warped and mess with the focal plane?

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005

Combat Pretzel posted:

Maybe the mirrors are warped and mess with the focal plane?

I'd be willing to believe that it's possibly a bad sample, or that modern designs might be sharper. The problem is, I've never seen a sharp, full-res shot taken by a similar 35mm format reflex lens, so unless someone's got some good examples I can only assume it's down to the design.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Somewhere I have an old photo book of baltimore with a bunch of shots taken by a mirror lens (you can tell by the doughnut bokeh). I recall the photos in it being reasonably sharp. I'll double check.

Nomenclature
Jul 20, 2006

You can outrun the IRS, but you can't outrun your sister's love.
My point-and-shoot died last fall, so I decided to replace it with a better cell phone camera plus a proper camera. I picked up a Sony NEX-5T with a 16-50mm kit lens for $300 shipped from Amazon.com, and very quickly found myself really getting into photography. I have since picked up the Sony 55-210mm and Sigma 19mm f/2.8 lenses for the NEX.

But, even the Sony 55-210mm lens doesn’t have the magnification I would like for shooting small wildlife. I have been looking into my options for longer focal lengths, and I have a few questions:

Would something like this $200 alpha-mount to E-mount adapter
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1008165-REG/sony_laea3_a_mount_to_e_mount_lens.html
plus this $145 lens
http://www.amazon.com/Sigma-70-300mm-Telephoto-Minolta-Cameras/dp/B000B8T6DI/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1420484766&sr=8-7&keywords=Minolta+lens
be a good choice?
That option would give up autofocus, and I have found manual focus to be a huge pain with the NEX. Indoors, the camera viewscreen moves around enough as I am turning the focus ring that I have difficulty getting the fine focus down. Outdoors, the screen gets washed out to the point where I can barely see what I am framing. And at long zooms, since the 55-210mm lens unbalances the tiny body, supporting the camera/lens with my left hand while trying to make focus adjustments with a couple fingers without moving the camera off target is really frustrating.

Alternatively, the Sony A58 was sitting at $400 on Amazon for a while before recently jumping up a little. Since there is a rumor that Sony will replace it this summer, the A58s could presumably be closed-out at around $300. So, for $100 more than a lens adapter, I could get a second camera body to natively host my long range lenses (and make it easier to support them than the tiny NEX), while keeping autofocus and having the benefit of image stabilization with all my lenses. Does something like this seem like a better option?

The reason I specifically brought up the A58 is its in-body image stabilization, since the cost of stabilized lenses builds up fast. Getting OIS in my Canon P&S made a huge difference for lower light photos, so I am kind of hesitant to give it up, but the price difference and selection improvement for lenses without stabilization is also huge. So, how important is optical image stabilization at the shutter speeds you use with high zooms? Is it worth passing over a better body with more diverse lens selection to get it in-body for long range shooting?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

I do some wildlife with that NEX setup, and I don't have too much trouble manual focusing personally. You can also consider the LA-EA2 since it's now $200 used and will have the same auto-focus as the a58 for cheaper.

The IBIS that Sony uses isn't actually quite as good for actually tracking wildlife or sports as the in lens options, and if you do any panning it'll gently caress up your shots. There isn't much you can do to make the NEX more comfortable short of a tripod or something though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Heading on vacation to Ireland in a few months and looking to go light with my 5D III. That means I'll likely be leaving my favorite (but bulky) landscape equipment behind like my Big Stopper, timer release, tripod, etc. I probably won't take a Speedlite either. This isn't a photography trip first and foremost, so as much as it pains me to miss the opportunity to make the most of it from a photo standpoint, I'd rather go lighter.

Any suggestions on what to take from this selection?
  • EF 17-40mm f/4L
  • EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II
  • EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II
  • TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II
I'm thinking the tilt-shift stays home even though it's my favorite landscape lens. I love the versatility of the 70-200, but it's probably too long and too heavy. That leaves the 17-40 and the 24-70. Between the two the 24-70 is the safe bet, but I'm even considering snagging a prime (24, 28, 35, or maybe even the pancake 40) instead. Any suggestions from more accomplished travelers?

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jan 6, 2015