Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

Was "Dewey defeats Truman" ever a politoon?

"Romney defeats Obama" was several politoons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

This is a good addition, but it needs to be happy Kelly rather than annoyed Kelly. Plus maybe a crying lady liberty giving a thumbs up but it's a powerful image so it must be used sparingly.

zoux posted:

I want you to find five lies in that political cartoon and then do the same in every single Branco cartoon ever.

Not very difficult, he rarely expends the effort to come up with any new lies.

He killed a minority, his dad declined to punish him and now he's taking it out on his mom because she talked about it?

Heh. Obama must be pissed. It's not like the media at large sees gas prices as a microcosm of the condition of the entire economy or anything.

Rick Perry? What happened to your hair and glasses?

Combs sez: Kill the Muslims. but protect the environment.

If the police just kill everyone their jobs will be super easy!

At least we know this is not a repeat.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

Was "Dewey defeats Truman" ever a politoon?
I'm sure cartoonists of the time couldn't resist, but searching for cartoons that old is hard.

However, a quick GIS did give me this

Printed when Truman died :stare: And shows us that political cartoonists have been botching the meaning of the Dewey Defeats Truman headline for at least four decades.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Truman the undying??

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Rorus Raz posted:

However, a quick GIS did give me this

Printed when Truman died :stare: And shows us that political cartoonists have been botching the meaning of the Dewey Defeats Truman headline for at least four decades.

Printed shortly after Truman defeated Death himself at a game of dominoes and became the master of hell (which is surprisingly rainy)

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

loquacius posted:

Printed shortly after Truman defeated Death himself at a game of dominoes and became the master of hell (which is surprisingly rainy)

It's not rain. :unsmigghh:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Internet Webguy posted:

If the police just kill everyone their jobs will be super easy!
I bet Bish hates our new not corrupt CoP
http://www.post-gazette.com/local/city/2015/01/04/Mayor-supports-Chief-McLay-s-embrace-of-anti-racism-message/stories/201501030134

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

I dont know posted:

The article contained a link to my favorite Horsey of last year.

Ehh, Kal-El isn't brown, "patriots" wouldn't care. Actually, what do those lunatics think of immigrants from "White" European countries?

Cops are supposed to treat everyone humanely and protect them, even criminals. A Good Cartoon.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Internet Webguy posted:

Heh. Obama must be pissed. It's not like the media at large sees gas prices as a microcosm of the condition of the entire economy or anything.

High gas prices: Obama sucks! It's his fault!
Low gas prices: Obama sucks! I bet he hates low gas prices!

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

If anyone doesn't feel like clicking, this is our new chiefe of police as seen on new years eve:

:toot: He then sent a dept-wide memo about what he meant by it, it was pretty diplomatically written IMO (it boiled down to "I know we work hard and we don't mean to be racist, but you have to admit that the reality is, our presence is felt differently in communities of color whether we mean it that way or not. We need to work more closely and positively with them to be a force of good. Sorry if I offended you but I don't take it back.")

Of course, the FoP is being loving horrible and saying that he's a terrible man for saying something as innocuous as "racism is bad."

alnilam fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jan 6, 2015

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I am so cynical that I seriously thought the message was sarcastic and #EndWhiteSilence was a stupid "silent majority" thing.

54.4 crowns
Apr 7, 2011

To think before you speak is like wiping your arse before you shit.

Dr. Killjoy posted:

Innsmouth is by far my favorite concept by him and it really only is so memorable because of his grotesque racism.
EDIT - I say concept because I think Lovecraft's work functions best as a setting, a setting other better writers can work with. Speaking of which, is there any other writer for whom actual writers can basically sell fanfiction of their works?

Frank Herbert :argh:

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

alnilam posted:

"racism is bad."

It is. How else will the police departments meet their quotas?

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

54.4 crowns posted:

Frank Herbert :argh:
Robert Jordan :smith:

I'm only on book 7 so I don't know if this is true or not. :saddowns:

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Kegluneq posted:

Ah, book 7. You know how things are moving right along and strong narrative pacing is driving the plot? Don't get used to that.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Ah, book 7. You know how things are moving right along and strong narrative pacing is driving the plot? Don't get used to that.
Good lord, book 6 took forever. If it gets much slower the next year is going to be fun :v:

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Don't worry, once you get through the slump it'll start being good again.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

SirSamVimes posted:

No it won't.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Kegluneq posted:

Good lord, book 6 took forever. If it gets much slower the next year is going to be fun :v:

Book 8 is almost a Platonic ideal of literary marking time.

SirSamVimes posted:

It's a hell of a slump, though. When I about a third of the way through book 10 I threw it down in disgust and still haven't gone back, though I'm told when Sanderson took over they got much, much better.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Kegluneq posted:

Ehhh, it's fine. The styles are different but unlike some of these things, Jordan's notes on what was gonna happen were pretty dang solid and he actually wanted someone else to finish it after he died. It wasn't a huge deal for me.

In fact I would probably have preferred it if Sanderson had fleshed out the ending that Jordan wrote it before he died but he left it 100% as it was.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Shugojin posted:

Ehhh, it's fine. The styles are different but unlike some of these things, Jordan's notes on what was gonna happen were pretty dang solid and he actually wanted someone else to finish it after he died. It wasn't a huge deal for me.
Ah, that's reassuring. I've been deliberately avoiding doing any reading around concerning the later books after getting into the first few, all I knew was that he died before he could finish. I've read some of Sanderson's other stuff so I'm not too worried about his writing ability at least.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

ComradeCosmobot posted:

For additional explanation, the UDB.

The UDB rules.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Dr. Killjoy posted:

Innsmouth is by far my favorite concept by him and it really only is so memorable because of his grotesque racism.
EDIT - I say concept because I think Lovecraft's work functions best as a setting, a setting other better writers can work with. Speaking of which, is there any other writer for whom actual writers can basically sell fanfiction of their works?

Eric Flint?

Then again the Ring Of Fire/1632-verse is literally built ground up as a fanfiction-verse for better AND worse.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

:qq: "How dare Obama be as obstructionist as we were for the last four years!!" :qq:

Nonsense, this is an election year--Canada edition. Stephen Harper is starting to actually respond to popular pressure about things now that he has another election to think about. It's only a matter of time before the sweater vests and kittens, says MacKay.

For reference:

Literally a promotional picture taken by our Prime Minister.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

southpaugh posted:

Not a cartoon but relevant to your story. You should basically never talk to cops, ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc

He starts the video with "I am proud to admit that I will never talk to any police officer", then at 8:44 what does he do? He talks to a police officer. Can't even keep his own promise.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

A Canadian election might be fun. If I remember, the last one led to some major shifts (including a Harper majority :smith:)

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Yeah, it's spread up here too....

3 things happened!

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Now every DbD that has an actual punchline makes me wonder if it's an edit, thanks guys. Too bad Muir added in a needless comment after the punchline to explain it for morons.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Hahahaha gently caress you

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

I forgot that Clinton had sex with Ms. Lewinski when she was underage and/or raped her. Why did I forget about that? Seems like it'd be a pretty big part of the scandal.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Gravel Gravy posted:

I forgot that Clinton had sex with Ms. Lewinski when she was underage and/or raped her. Why did I forget about that? Seems like it'd be a pretty big part of the scandal.

Chappaquiddick

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Clinton: Because I engaged in consensual sexual intercourse with an adult?

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/buster/bill-clinton/bill-clinton-and-jeffrey-epstein-908671

quote:

In fact, Epstein, 61, has maintained many of these relationships even after pleading guilty in 2008 to a felony charge stemming from a lengthy probe of his lewd interaction with scores of underage girls, many of whom were recruited while they were students at a Palm Beach high school.

Epstein is pictured above in his most recent sex offender registry photo.

But while Prince Andrew and other public figures resumed meeting with a post-prison Epstein, Clinton appears to have avoided the billionaire, who owns a private Caribbean island, a Manhattan mansion, a New Mexico ranch, and a Paris apartment in addition to his waterfront Palm Beach residence.

According to court records, Clinton “frequently flew” with Epstein aboard the investor’s private jet from 2002 to 2005, the year news of the police investigation of Epstein was first reported.

Haha, that Bill Clinton, cutting all ties palling around with sex offenders after they've been outed!

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

He may have a funny face, but he's THE BEST KONG
The sexual ethics of the Lewinsky scandal are complex and are (or were, when it was current and maybe even relevant) worthy of discussion, but it is extremely disrespectful for all of these mouthbreathing troglodytes to completely disregard Ms. Lewinsky's feelings on her experience. She has categorically stated that while Clinton took advantage of her, it was a consensual relationship that she regrets. Bill Clinton is not what I would consider a paragon of moral fiber, but he is not a sexual predator. There is something uniquely galling about the McCoy siblings continuing to beat this drum, so I suppose mission accomplished on their parts.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

If by "McCoy siblings" you mean "conservatives as a whole" then agreed.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

It's a really good example of power gap potentially screwing with what you would ordinarily call consent, but it pisses me off when the McCoys do it because I know they wouldn't give a poo poo about it if it was someone they liked.

e: Basically I think it is possibly worth talking about in certain situations but none of them are the ones it's brought up in.

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

He may have a funny face, but he's THE BEST KONG

Rorus Raz posted:

If by "McCoy siblings" you mean "conservatives as a whole" then agreed.

Well, I try not to paint with too broad of a brush and the McCoy's seem to be the most fond of this particular talking point. But who am I kidding they all do it and it's just so frustrating to see misogynists use anti-rape rhetoric in the most disingenuous and disrespectful way possible, especially because it completely ignores what Miss Lewinsky has to say about the incident. She deserves to be heard if conservatives insist on using her experiences as political potshots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Conservatives will never listen to Monica Lewinsky because she's a woman.

• Locked thread