Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

xie posted:

No but I may wind up donating any prize to the park (the gem I guess) as part of the deal. As in a cash donation they don't want a little Emerald.

Basically they were on board with the story but very anti the 'treasure hunting' mentality.

Also lol at that awful gimmick post.

The gem is already auctioned off when the publisher went bankrupt...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junji Eat More
Oct 22, 2005

You don't know it, but you are full of stahs
I'm just spitballing on Boston, and tried my best to get up to speed with the thread, but has any one given the Mary Baker Eddy library/ Mapparium any consideration? Between the globes in the picture, and a (admittedly tenuous) 'all the letters' -> library connection, it sprang to mind.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:

VelociBacon posted:

The gem is already auctioned off when the publisher went bankrupt...?

Preiss' widow claims the gems are still in play according to James Renner. That's all the info we have about that. I dunno if they re-bought them to drum up interest or they were never lost.

I don't really care about the gem so it's not been a big concern of mine.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
So..what's up?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Waltzing Along posted:

So..what's up?

It's been in the 20s at night and in the 30s during the day for the better part of a week in Boston. I wouldn't want to try to dig anything by hand.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
Did never been banned find his cask?

Is he our king now?

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:
Paperwork on my end, the park and I are both off a lot with the holidays. Nothing to report.

Reg718
Jan 4, 2015
Hi guys, new to the forum. I stumbled upon the secret and its treasure hunt about 2 months ago in a you tube clip. Since that day I have been intrigued by it. I live in Brooklyn NY in the Bensonhurst area. Close to, JJP park, Shore road park and Fort Hamilton high. While I believe all of these are possible locations I am not 100%. The picture and verse are so vague. Unlike the pics and verses in the 2 that have been found. There was EXACT images in the pics of landmarks close to dig site. I know I am new to this board and this search in general, but I have been searching and studying since that first day 2 months ago. I have even gone to all the locations I listed and I just don't see it clearly. That being said, I just wanted to introduce myself and let you guys know I'm in this now for the long haul, lol. Hopefully one day somebody does unearth one of these casques, it would be very exciting. Even if there is nomore jewl. And be more than happy to help anyone around the NYC area do some studying and scouting. I know I'd be open to any help I could get.

P.S. I purchased the kindle edition of book shortly after getting involved due to the used copies of the paperback going for over $100. Like I said I've mostly focused on NY and what is said to be the accompanying pic/verse. In doing so I noticed a few distinct differences. In the verse I see on most websites which I believe is directly from book, the word Nearby has its own line and people feel this is important. In kindle version Nearby does not have its own line, it is the last word on the line "Although the sign Nearby". Also in the pic, the space between the center and right onion dome on the websites, again I'm assuming directly from book, is curved and to me kind of looks like the map of state of NJ upside down, and there's a tiny white circle at the bottom. In the kindle edition the space is there but it's a straight line. Not curved at all and the white circle is not there, it is below the jewl in this pic. Not sure if any of this is important. I never read on any site I've looked at so far about anybody thinking the space looks like New Jersey. But I have read about the word Nearby being by itself. I just thought I'd throw it out there and if anyone has kindle edition and access to the actual book maybe you can go deeper on this. Thanks guys. Sorry for long first post.

Viruswithshoes
Mar 26, 2007

Reg718 posted:

Hi guys, new to the forum. I stumbled upon the secret and its treasure hunt about 2 months ago in a you tube clip. Since that day I have been intrigued by it. I live in Brooklyn NY in the Bensonhurst area. Close to, JJP park, Shore road park and Fort Hamilton high. While I believe all of these are possible locations I am not 100%. The picture and verse are so vague. Unlike the pics and verses in the 2 that have been found. There was EXACT images in the pics of landmarks close to dig site. I know I am new to this board and this search in general, but I have been searching and studying since that first day 2 months ago. I have even gone to all the locations I listed and I just don't see it clearly. That being said, I just wanted to introduce myself and let you guys know I'm in this now for the long haul, lol. Hopefully one day somebody does unearth one of these casques, it would be very exciting. Even if there is nomore jewl. And be more than happy to help anyone around the NYC area do some studying and scouting. I know I'd be open to any help I could get.

P.S. I purchased the kindle edition of book shortly after getting involved due to the used copies of the paperback going for over $100. Like I said I've mostly focused on NY and what is said to be the accompanying pic/verse. In doing so I noticed a few distinct differences. In the verse I see on most websites which I believe is directly from book, the word Nearby has its own line and people feel this is important. In kindle version Nearby does not have its own line, it is the last word on the line "Although the sign Nearby". Also in the pic, the space between the center and right onion dome on the websites, again I'm assuming directly from book, is curved and to me kind of looks like the map of state of NJ upside down, and there's a tiny white circle at the bottom. In the kindle edition the space is there but it's a straight line. Not curved at all and the white circle is not there, it is below the jewl in this pic. Not sure if any of this is important. I never read on any site I've looked at so far about anybody thinking the space looks like New Jersey. But I have read about the word Nearby being by itself. I just thought I'd throw it out there and if anyone has kindle edition and access to the actual book maybe you can go deeper on this. Thanks guys. Sorry for long first post.

God dammit Urban Smurf, you can't fool us

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
Saw an update. Hoped for xie victory. Instead got wall of texted.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

Yeah I'm just waiting on paperwork and timing I'll keep ya'll posted. No news isn't bad news from me.

Nnep
Jun 17, 2007

3-2 2-0

Reg718 posted:

Welcome aboard please post a welcome thread in FYAD and lets get goondiggin like we often say in this thread

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
Xie can you just post what Never Been Banned's theory was? It is pretty clear he isn't coming back.

Or at least which image he was using?

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK

Reg718 posted:

A/S/L

xie
Jul 29, 2004

Yeah I'm OK with that I think... NBB I'm sorry if you take this as a huge violation of your trust or something, but I'm using the rules I used with four20thrasher (no response from you, plenty of time has passed, etc) and I honestly, honestly cannot see the harm. Let me know and I'll edit it out.

NBB's theory couples the St Augustine image with an area in Oregon, I think outside of Portland but I've never even looked at a map of Oregon. He uses the "Lane/Two Twenty Two" verse with it.

It's not in a public park, so I won't reveal the specific location (and it won't make any sense, I cant "get you there" since I don't know the area), but it's a fairly big stretch IMO. That image is lacking concrete visual clues to FoY/Mission Grounds, but there are a lot of circumstantial clues, including clues that 100% jive with Boston's methodology (Wind-Rose etc) linking that Verse/image to St Augustine.

I'm almost positive it's wrong, but I say that as someone who is also expecting to dig up a casque within a few weeks, and I'm sure lots of people feel the same about mine.

EDIT: AS for the "Lane Two Twenty Two" line, four20thrasher has a really excellent theory on it being linked with New Orelans. I don't know what ever happened with it, and he just won't talk to me.

xie fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jan 5, 2015

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Didn't urban smurf have a Portland theory using that image?

xie
Jul 29, 2004

Yes, interestingly enough. Same image/verse, some similar clues, totally different end location, and they came to them independently.

Neat, if nothing else. But also very telling.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I just recevied an email from the DCR informing me that someone was caught digging on some sort of treasure hunt this weekend, and they wanted to confirm it was not me. MA state police responded to the call.

This is why you seek permission.

Tony Homo
Oct 30, 2014

by zen death robot
What a coincidence

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I'm pretty sure someone just stole my work from here or Q4T and went to dig. Not too surprising, but dumb all the same. The park knows the spot and is keeping an eye out for illegal digging.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Wow, that's some bullshit. How did you find out?

edit: yep, can't read up.

wa27 fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jan 6, 2015

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Bwahahaha I hope they get fuckin' cornholed by the system. What a jerk.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

wa27 posted:

Wow, that's some bullshit. How did you find out?

xie posted:

I just recevied an email from the DCR

xie
Jul 29, 2004

Yeah they reached out to me immediately to make sure it wasn't me (the DCR itself didn't respond, the MA police report made its way to them today). Of course it wasn't, and I talked to the head of permits again today. No damage to my case, they're still excited to dig with me. Hopefully we can all line up schedules in the next few weeks. The initial hope was the 9th, but the permits aren't going to be approved by then.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

xie posted:

I just recevied an email from the DCR informing me that someone was caught digging on some sort of treasure hunt this weekend, and they wanted to confirm it was not me. MA state police responded to the call.

And everyone here has been like "hurf durf just tell us where it is already, nothing will happen!". Of course this poo poo would happen. :sigh:

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

xie posted:

Holy poo poo!! I wonder which goon that was :argh:

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Was it actually in that specific spot or just an unspecified location?

Pretty funny though

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
Never Been Banned finally dug something after all :argh:

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

xie posted:

Yeah they reached out to me immediately to make sure it wasn't me (the DCR itself didn't respond, the MA police report made its way to them today). Of course it wasn't, and I talked to the head of permits again today. No damage to my case, they're still excited to dig with me. Hopefully we can all line up schedules in the next few weeks. The initial hope was the 9th, but the permits aren't going to be approved by then.

Has all of this permit and legal poo poo actually cost you anything?

xie
Jul 29, 2004

So far it hasn't cost me anything. The digsafe may cost me a little bit but not much. All in all we're probably looking at <$200 total, and I'd be surprised if it's that much.

Don't know the spot, I asked them if they knew more, trying to figure out if it was just a general idiot or someone legitimately trying to dig in this exact spot.

This was a perfect example of why 1) not posting the full solutions online is justified and 2) why "JUST DIG U MORAN!!!" is loving retarded.

My favorite thing about this entire thread is Tony Homo still attempting whatever gimmick poo poo he has going, like maybe I'm fabricating this whole permit process or this 'update' from the park. That takes some serious dedication.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

xie posted:

So far it hasn't cost me anything. The digsafe may cost me a little bit but not much. All in all we're probably looking at <$200 total, and I'd be surprised if it's that much.

Don't know the spot, I asked them if they knew more, trying to figure out if it was just a general idiot or someone legitimately trying to dig in this exact spot.

This was a perfect example of why 1) not posting the full solutions online is justified and 2) why "JUST DIG U MORAN!!!" is loving retarded.

My favorite thing about this entire thread is Tony Homo still attempting whatever gimmick poo poo he has going, like maybe I'm fabricating this whole permit process or this 'update' from the park. That takes some serious dedication.

Digsafe is free, but you need to mark the spot and call it in 3 business days in advance.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

Cool, then the only costs should be equipment (since I don't have to be sneaky I'm going to buy a proper shovel, not a trenching tool/trowel/etc.) and time. :) I also am planning on donating any proceeds (gem) to the park in BP's name. There is a Shurcliff Bench like 15 feet from the dig spot, I'd like to sponsor it in his name if it's available. But that's just some of the deal I presented to the park, it's not an iron-clad contract.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

xie posted:

Cool, then the only costs should be equipment (since I don't have to be sneaky I'm going to buy a proper shovel, not a trenching tool/trowel/etc.) and time. :) I also am planning on donating any proceeds (gem) to the park in BP's name. There is a Shurcliff Bench like 15 feet from the dig spot, I'd like to sponsor it in his name if it's available. But that's just some of the deal I presented to the park, it's not an iron-clad contract.

I mentioned this before when you brought it up but weren't the gems sold when the publisher went out of business?

E: woops forgot about the response up the page a bit.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jan 7, 2015

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Reg718 posted:

your first post sucked, i'm not reading this bullshit, kill you're self

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I've spent a little time wandering around Golden Gate Park (GGP) for the past couple of days, and I think the Rose Garden/Shakespeare Gardens have a lot of matches for the verse that is associated most with SF. Some of the theories about cable-cars, candle stick park, and such are hogwash; a reference to something walking you from the stone door (air smells sweet lines up with the great aroma of flowers in that area). Also, you can see the "high posts are three" antenna from the Rose Garden area.

The wife and I will have all day Thursday to explore. I've developed some tendonitis in my right knee from all the walking/running I've been doing, but I'm loading up on ibuprofen and caffeine.

Tony Homo
Oct 30, 2014

by zen death robot

xie posted:

Let's make a "dig by " date. If you don't dig by that date with pictures of the city workers in the pic watching you dig you will be banned. If you do the digging with pics and those city employees in the pics by that date I will be banned. What you say liar?

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Take this avatar, rotate it 180 degrees, mirror it, mark a point from the tip of the dogs noses and you will see it will line up to this image of the centaurs tail "exactly."

Nocheez posted:

The wife and I will have all day Thursday to explore. I've developed some tendonitis in my right knee from all the walking/running I've been doing, but I'm loading up on ibuprofen and caffeine.

I load my wife up on painkillers and starbux daily in my attempts to convince her that my theories are going somewhere.

If you don't have one already, try one of those knee/pateller bands that fit just below the knee and relieve the stress of that main tendon. Good luck.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Tony Homo posted:

Let's make a "dig by " date. If you don't dig by that date with pictures of the city workers in the pic watching you dig you will be banned. If you do the digging with pics and those city employees in the pics by that date I will be banned. What you say liar?
I say I'm tired of this calling out bullshit, unbookmark the thread if you can't loving stand it anymore

Tony Homo
Oct 30, 2014

by zen death robot

CrashCat posted:

I say I'm tired of this calling out bullshit, unbookmark the thread if you can't loving stand it anymore

Yes sir. You're the boss. Better yet f you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

CrashCat posted:

:agreed: