Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

mrkillboy posted:

I remember seeing a YouTube ad for the movie The Is The End that basically started with Franco, Rogen and co sitting on a couch yelling "DON'T SKIP DON'T SKIP DON'T SKIP". I thought that was pretty amusing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L850gfogS2g

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

RC and Moon Pie posted:

It might not be a dumb move, though, because 15 years later I bought a copy of it used based solely on the memories of the ad campaign.

The argument of 'well clearly it wasn't a dumb advertising campaign, you're still talking about it' is stupid, but in this case it was both intentional, and worked. There were a huge amount of space shooters on the market at the time, so they knew Phalanx wouldn't stand out from the rest unless they did something weird.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Barudak posted:

So a lot of this ties back to companies getting too smart for their own good. When pre-roll videos started companies didn't think about the first five seconds so you'd get a weird ad that was just the first 5 seconds of a TV spot making it both annoying and usually not great branding. Well pretty soon they realized, hey, people are skipping these so all these impressions I'm paying for are hot garbage since nobody is finishing these ads. So for many companies they try to pay based on completed (usually at least 50% of ad watched) pre-roll rather than just raw total pre-roll. So this payment incentive means advertising agencies want to be intriguing to stall you to get to the cutoff point where they get paid rather than rush out to beat you clicking skip.

Of course a lot of that is moot as companies are now just paying for unskippable pre-roll and therefore know a) they aren't being bypassed and b) exactly where in the video you click close in disgust.

The best one I ever saw was awesome, and I've only seen it once. It was for an insurance company, I think, and it was just a guy who basically said "we're here to make your life easier. Here, let me get that for you." And 'pushed' the skip button. A 5 second ad. And drat it, if I didn't have insurance, they would have had a sale. Some companies get it.

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

poo poo, the boxes used to BE the toys:

I vaguely remember the boat, but not the other two. That UFO is :krad:

Holy poo poo I remember the UFO. It used to come with the stickers separate so you could decorate it yourself! Man I've forgotten too much poo poo about my childhood.

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.
I don't know about you but mixing dildos and play doh seems like hours of fun to me. http://geekologie.com/2014/12/parents-outraged-play-doh-extruder-looks.php

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

HonorableTB posted:

A Happy Meal General Lee? You can't be serious hahahaha

They also had Rosco's police cruiser, Boss Hogg's caddie, Daisy Duke's jeep and Uncle Jessie's pickup. I bet pretty much every kid who got one of those was horribly disappointed that it wasn't the General Lee.

My google fu says these came out in 1982, right when the actors playing Bo and Luke left (ironically due to a dispute over merchandising royalties) and were replaced by Coy and Vance Duke which lead to the ratings tanking.

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 08:07 on Jan 6, 2015

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

Tiggum posted:

Hey, that one's actually good.

That's because they ripped it off Spaced.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_P7dileY9sY&t=165s

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Phalanx for SNES has probably been mentioned at some time. I wish I could find the commercial that ran on television for it, because it was even more out there than the box art. The ad ended with the banjo playing and I think it only had a couple of brief scenes showing that it was a space shooter.

It might not be a dumb move, though, because 15 years later I bought a copy of it used based solely on the memories of the ad campaign.

I remember reading that this man was homeless and hung out around the localization teams office. He befriended a bunch of the guys and they wanted to help him out so they dressed him up and slapped him on the cover and he got a good sized check out of it.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

They also had Rosco's police cruiser, Boss Hogg's caddie, Daisy Duke's jeep and Uncle Jessie's pickup. I bet pretty much every kid who got one of those was horribly disappointed that it wasn't the General Lee.

My google fu says these came out in 1982, right when the actors playing Bo and Luke left (ironically due to a dispute over merchandising royalties) and were replaced by Coy and Vance Duke which lead to the ratings tanking.

This is awesome, I had totally forgotten I had this until I saw this post! I used the General Lee one in the sandbox.

And boo to Coy and Vance, even 5 year old me knew they sucked.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

Cleretic posted:

The argument of 'well clearly it wasn't a dumb advertising campaign, you're still talking about it' is stupid, but in this case it was both intentional, and worked. There were a huge amount of space shooters on the market at the time, so they knew Phalanx wouldn't stand out from the rest unless they did something weird.

Didn't Taco Bell stop with the Chihuahua commercials because sales were actually going down? People quoted the commercials but weren't going to Taco Bell. If true then I imagine the, "Well, you hate our commercials but at least you remember them!" backfires quite a bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_SwD7RveNE

Sentmassen
Oct 17, 2012
The only marketing that has ever worked for me was the Tim and Eric old spice commercials. I immediately switched brands because I felt liked I owed them one.

On the other end, there is currently an unending barrage of Geico commercials that assault me when im on youtube, watching TV, or at the movies. All of them make me want to commit a felony, preferably one with a body count. A friend also pointed out that a company that spends sooo much on advertising probably cant afford to give you a good deal.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

grittyreboot posted:

I remember reading that this man was homeless and hung out around the localization teams office. He befriended a bunch of the guys and they wanted to help him out so they dressed him up and slapped him on the cover and he got a good sized check out of it.

This is completely made up.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Speaking of terrible youtube commercials, I recently saw a completely atrocious ad for some stupid gimmicky gadget (egg timer that you boil?). It was an extremely amateur clip of some guy just monotonously droning on about it for like a minute or two, I think even without taking the drat thing out of the box. I usually skip the ads like a normal person, but from the moment he opened his mouth I just had to watch it to the end, it was just so bizarre in its shittyness.

Maybe the ad worked perfectly after all :stare:

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Sleeveless posted:

This is completely made up.

My bad. I remembered reading that on Wikipedia but when I looked again they had taken that part out

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?

Sentmassen posted:

On the other end, there is currently an unending barrage of Geico commercials that assault me when im on youtube, watching TV, or at the movies. All of them make me want to commit a felony, preferably one with a body count. A friend also pointed out that a company that spends sooo much on advertising probably cant afford to give you a good deal.

I heard at a conference that because GEICO pours so much into advertising, that's why they're no. 1 in insurance. The presenter explained that insurance is an un-sexy and detailed thing to sell in 30 seconds, so by sticking something memorable in your head, GEICO is the first company you think of when it comes time to buy a plan.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

poo poo, the boxes used to BE the toys:

I vaguely remember the boat, but not the other two. That UFO is :krad:

The UFO was also a frisbee.

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

Big Grunty Secret posted:

I heard at a conference that because GEICO pours so much into advertising, that's why they're no. 1 in insurance. The presenter explained that insurance is an un-sexy and detailed thing to sell in 30 seconds, so by sticking something memorable in your head, GEICO is the first company you think of when it comes time to buy a plan.

I also read somewhere that the reason Geico has so many different advertising campaigns at once is because auto-insurance is a broad market. Everybody needs auto-insurance, no matter age, race, or gender, so the company needs to target every demographic. That's why you have the Geico Gecko, Maxwell the Pig, the banjo playing guys (which spawned the hump day camel), the "Everybody knows" ads, and the "it's what you do" ads all running at the same time.

Fake E: I found it. It was a Slate article from 2005. At the time Geico had the Gecko, the Cavemen, a series of ads with the tag-line "I've got great news - I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance," and a series of one offs like the fake reality show "Tiny House."

The broad, seemingly unfocused campaigns have apparently worked too, since Geico has gone from a market share of 5.6 percent in 2005 (when the article was written) to surpassing Allstate as the second largest auto-insurer in the US.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Not My Leg posted:

I also read somewhere that the reason Geico has so many different advertising campaigns at once is because auto-insurance is a broad market. Everybody needs auto-insurance, no matter age, race, or gender, so the company needs to target every demographic. That's why you have the Geico Gecko, Maxwell the Pig, the banjo playing guys (which spawned the hump day camel), the "Everybody knows" ads, and the "it's what you do" ads all running at the same time.

Fake E: I found it. It was a Slate article from 2005. At the time Geico had the Gecko, the Cavemen, a series of ads with the tag-line "I've got great news - I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance," and a series of one offs like the fake reality show "Tiny House."

The broad, seemingly unfocused campaigns have apparently worked too, since Geico has gone from a market share of 5.6 percent in 2005 (when the article was written) to surpassing Allstate as the second largest auto-insurer in the US.

drat, I knew Geico had grown a lot since I first started seeing their ads, but I didn't know they'd grown that much. They still deserve some scorn for this, though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhFIijFD9kg

onionradish
Jul 6, 2006

That's spicy.

Not My Leg posted:

Geico has gone from a market share of 5.6 percent in 2005 (when the article was written) to surpassing Allstate as the second largest auto-insurer in the US.
In 2013, they spent nearly 1$ billion in advertising and marketing. They do that every year.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Some of the Sheep posted:

Holy poo poo I remember the UFO. It used to come with the stickers separate so you could decorate it yourself! Man I've forgotten too much poo poo about my childhood.

I used to be all about that stupid crown when I was little. But I don't think they ever changed the mazes and puzzles inside. I remember picking one up when I was in high school just out of curiosity and the activities were all exactly the same.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

onionradish posted:

In 2013, they spent nearly 1$ billion in advertising and marketing. They do that every year.

I work in insurance. My company writes home, auto, life, etc. Everything. So do other companies. GEICO and progressive write themselves auto boat and bike. Casualty, and farm out the property.

On their marketing strength alone they outsell all other carriers on auto alone. That means they write more casualty policies than other companies write property and casualty combined .

When I was griping about ads not working I meant stupid lovely banner ads or gimmicky save money numbers that pop up on springer.

But holy poo poo does it work.

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007
I had a soft spot for the money clip with the googly eyes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVP-re3KVYU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Sentmassen posted:

The only marketing that has ever worked for me was the Tim and Eric old spice commercials.
I guarantee you that this is not even remotely close to true.

Sentmassen posted:

A friend also pointed out that a company that spends sooo much on advertising probably cant afford to give you a good deal.
That is complete nonsense. Companies spend money on advertising because it makes them more money overall. They're not just burning money, they're spending less on ads than they're making back because of the ads. If the advertising was costing them money rather than making them money, they wouldn't do it.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I never really got why the whole internet poo poo its pants about that happy meal box. It's not that creepy. Especially compared to the Grimace and all the hamburger head characters.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Speaking of dumb and gross video game ads, I'm trying to remember a magazine ad from the early 90s that had a grotesque close-up image of a bloody eye that had its eyelid ripped off. If I recall correctly, it had to do with a tagline about not blinking (thus, the person ripping their eyelids off to never blink again). It was loving gross and made me not want to have anything to do with whatever they were selling.

Anyone know what I'm talking about?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Barudak posted:

You will not believe the cash thrown around. It cost Papa Johns a shitload of money (in the multiple million dollar range) just for the privilege of being able to sell Taylor Swifts album with their pizzas.

Campaign was a massive disaster in case you were curious.

He seems to be okay with throwing around money, his new ad has Peyton Manning and Joe Montana.

Does anybody remember the overblown hysteria from the Earthworm Jim ad where a grandma eats worms while talking up the game?

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

You guys reminded me of the commercial for my favorite Mario game ever, Yoshi's Island. You know, the cute one with the crayon art style and baby enemies?

So of course they advertised it with a giant gross person exploding on camera.

They used to run this commercial during Channel 1 at school.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

:wtc:

Well, that sure was the restaurant scene from Monty Python's The Meaning of Life. Fun for the whole family!

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

You Are A Elf posted:

Speaking of dumb and gross video game ads, I'm trying to remember a magazine ad from the early 90s that had a grotesque close-up image of a bloody eye that had its eyelid ripped off. If I recall correctly, it had to do with a tagline about not blinking (thus, the person ripping their eyelids off to never blink again). It was loving gross and made me not want to have anything to do with whatever they were selling.

I think so. Maybe Voodoo 5 or Matrox. God. The Voodoo 5 campaign was terrible.

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

Zombie Samurai posted:

You guys reminded me of the commercial for my favorite Mario game ever, Yoshi's Island. You know, the cute one with the crayon art style and baby enemies?

So of course they advertised it with a giant gross person exploding on camera.

They used to run this commercial during Channel 1 at school.

Reminds me of this commercial for Boogerman, though there are of course some big differences, such as the fact that a gross commercial is entirely appropriate for a game called Boogerman and, ironically enough, the Boogerman commercial is the less gross of the two by a considerable margin.

And for a funny little thing I just realized, the narrator in the Boogerman commercial sounds exactly like the narrator from the Revolting Slob segments on Crashbox. How appropriate.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

You Are A Elf posted:

I don't know but it reminded me of this one

because 90s video game ads were all extreme attitude and grossness

N.N. Ashe
Dec 29, 2009
I can only assume video game advertisers must have all been paid minimum wage and hated/had no clue about their products and were done secretly hiding them from any upper levels approvals. How else can you reasonably explain an industry wide failure to produce anything worthwhile. Like I can count all of the reasonably good video game ads on one hand and still have fingers left over.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Well if the thread is open to a couple of short stories about how stupid marketing is here's my experiences dealing with marketing while working for a catalog company in the UK. My second year there the old management was tossed out for cooking the books and the new management came in and reorganized things. First thing they did was make the different departments sit together in groups. Instead of sitting together by job roles (so instead of Buyers sitting with buyers you had Buyers for Science sitting with Direct Supply Agents for Science). Made sense to me and most people were willing to go along with it. Except for Marketing. They refused to work with any other group than themselves. They fought so hard against it that the management would have had to fire the whole lot and start over to force them to sit with anyone else. They finally just became the exception to the new categories.

First meeting I had with them involved they unveiled this:
Marketing: We've decided to improve the budget due to falling sales to not send catalogs to anyone that hasn't ordered from us in the last three years.
Me: Uhhh wouldn't that make our market shrink more? Shouldn't we be trying to win back the customers we've lost?
Marketing: We've decided to stop sending catalogs to customers that haven't ordered in awhile. It will save us X pounds.
My Boss: Darkhold has a point. Couldn't we do some voucher program or some promotion to win back lost customers?
Marketing: We don't have the budget for that. We're going to cut the catalogs.
And so forth. Nothing we brought up mattered just what they already decided.

Second meeting was one that marketing called us in for. Apparently they had a series of meetings that pissed off everyone so management made them go to each group and explain their role and what they had planned for each group. For us they handed us a packet filled with really stupid survey questions they made our customers fill out. Turns out customers viewed our brand as reliable but expensive. This heady information was just too much for our non-marketing brains to take in so they gave us four different metaphors so we could understand. See we were like a BMW not a (whatever brand of car they viewed as cheap I don't remember). We were like a high street shop not a friendly local market. And on and on. There were many graphs to further help us understand this. We needed to re-brand ourselves as 'cheap and cheerful'. I was so put off I just sat there in stunned silence of how condescending the whole thing was.

After the meeting of course it popped into my head that if our customers view us as reliable we needed to beat that drum and just downplay the expensive part. Not try to reverse the whole idea into the complete opposite. My co-workers and I though did have some fun whenever our brand identity came up one of us would just have to go 'But if it was a car what would this be?'

TL:DR marketing is stupid and arrogant.

Darkhold has a new favorite as of 10:19 on Jan 7, 2015

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

All that most maddens and torments; all that stirs up the lees of things; all truth with malice in it; all that cracks the sinews and cakes the brain; all the subtle demonisms of life and thought; all evil were visibly personified, and made practically assailable in Fry.

Darkhold posted:

First thing they did was make the different departments sit together in groups. Instead of sitting together by job roles (so instead of Buyers sitting with buyers you had Buyers for Science sitting with Direct Supply Agents for Science). Made sense to me and most people were willing to go along with it. Except for Marketing. They refused to work with any other group than themselves. They fought so hard against it that the management would have had to fire the whole lot and start over to force them to sit with anyone else. They finally just became the exception to the new categories.

Good lord, did you work at the cafeteria from Mean Girls?

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Not My Leg posted:

and a series of one offs like the fake reality show "Tiny House."

My wife and I both thought they brought it back when we saw an advert for this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBzTbxVfRUw

We just kept waiting for the punchline or tagline and just decided Geico was just pushing the obtuseness and self-referantial envelope.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Thinky Whale posted:

Good lord, did you work at the cafeteria from Mean Girls?
The old management really enjoyed pitting departments against each other and treating marketing like some kind of special favored group..so yeah I guess it was alot like High School.

When I just started working there we had a great little controversy in that there was an Industry Award show featuring education products. Many of our suppliers were invited. We won 10 out of the 12 awards (mostly for products we merely carried not ones we actually developed) needless to say that infuriated alot of the companies we did business with and they jacked our prices or dropped us completely. We displayed these awards proudly in our front lobby....oh did I mention we were the biggest sponsor of the award show? I'm 90% sure that was our marketing department behind that as well.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Big Grunty Secret posted:

This explains the Cavemen ads. I really enjoyed those.

To hell with whoever came up with that squealing pig though.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Darkhold posted:

But if it was a car what would this be?'

TL:DR marketing is stupid and arrogant.
I work in the small marketing department of a lawnmower wholesaler and we have to put up with similar bullshit from a contracted marketing manager. We spent about half an hour in a discussion about what celebrity the company currently is and what celebrity we want to be. "Currently, we're Olly Murs, we want to be Taylor Swift!" type nonsense.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

Dr_Amazing posted:

I never really got why the whole internet poo poo its pants about that happy meal box. It's not that creepy. Especially compared to the Grimace and all the hamburger head characters.

The Internet shits its pants about anything remotely creepy that, in the end, isn't creepy at all. See: any article about the ocean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
Funnily enough I was just looking at a Cracked 'top 21 annoying marketing gimmicks' and these two were in there.

I'm in the UK and have never heard of this brand until this thread so, good one GEICO I guess.

Here's the list-
http://www.cracked.com/photoplasty_1258_21-marketing-tactics-that-only-make-us-hate-product/