Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Holy lol this thread.

Anyway a bit slow first episode but it picked up towards the end so that's okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Insurrectionist posted:

Holy lol this thread.

Anyway a bit slow first episode but it picked up towards the end so that's okay.

I think this thread is going to more entertainment than the show.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I guess I was never going to get a boring, normal thread with this show.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Sorry for going on a tangent, but I've been marathoning Utena, and have reached the halfway-point of the third season, and just saw the recap episode (33) With Utena and the brother in a love hotel. and I have to hand it to the show's creators - I'm actually upset. That has never happened before. It's not like it came like a shock - season 2 and 3 both led towards this. I could see it coming, like a slow train crash, and I couldn't stop watching. I feel silly for writing this about a show with surfing elephants and sport cars performing synchronized dancing. But I'm actually angry at a fictional character. And the way anime shows work, I seriously doubt I'm going to get to see the villain get his comeuppance, but instead see a vague and confusing ending, which makes it worse. Still, kudos to the director for doing a story like that without making it feel exploitative.

I doubt this show will manage to make the same impact. Didn't feel it at all. Perhaps it's because I watched that Utena episode first...

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Make sure you watch the Utena movie as well.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

its kinda funny imo how the manga written by a lesbian author gets overshadowed by the anime made by a dude who says he is going to revolutionise the lesbian fiction genre

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
It's been a while since I've seen Utena, and we've only got one episode of this to go on so far, but I'm not seeing any significant similarities between the two shows. This one looks like it's going for a less dramatic and far more dreamy tone.

Is this(:nws:) going to be Yuri Kuma's equivalent of the sword coming out of Anthy?

Sakurazuka posted:

Make sure you watch the Utena movie as well.

Yes, do this.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

a cartoon duck posted:

its kinda funny imo how the manga written by a lesbian author gets overshadowed by the anime made by a dude who says he is going to revolutionise the lesbian fiction genre

It's not really because the manga was always supposed to be a spin-off/teaser for the anim and like it or not Morishima Akiko is pretty new and without much clout in the industry while Ikuhara has the reputation and connections to get stuff made and marketed.

That said honestly episode one feels more similar to Akiko's work than Ikuhara's so far to be honest.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I
Well, that was unfortunate.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Oh I finally found an official update, maybe everyone else already saw it. :shrug:

funimation posted:

The first episodes of Absolute Duo and Yurikuma Arashi will be available for FUNimation Streaming Subscribers just a couple days after their Japanese premiere. But fear not, all future episodes will be available just 3 hours after they air in Japan. Look for Episode 01 of Absolute Duo and Yurikuma Arashi at the dates and times listed below, and new episodes every Monday at 12:00 Noon and 12:30 PM CST, respectively.

- Absolute Duo – Episode 01: Tuesday, January 06 at 12:00PM Noon/CST
- Yurikuma Arashi – Episode 01: Wednesday, January 07 at 12:30PM/CST
- See more at: http://www.funimation.com/blog/2015/01/05/absolute-duo-and-yurikuma-arashi-update/#sthash.2hkyrxcR.dpuf
So i guess that's something.

And will hopefully mean less of this:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

a kitten posted:

And will hopefully mean less of this:

That must have been deliberate, the bit that was still in German I could understand.

DiabloCthulhu
Mar 23, 2013
Speaking of bad subs (German CR subs):

(that's their translation for "Gao!")

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

They should have used "Knurr knurr". What the gently caress is hurr?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

beautiful

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

So can we expect "rawr" from the official translations? (I'm fine with that).
Or maybe "grr argh"

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

The Monkey Man posted:

One of the girls is named Katyusha, a reference to the Russian bear, maybe?

In japanese, Katyusha refers to that hairband she was wearing. Her name is basically Red Hairband (Akae(?) Katyusha).
But, it may also be a reference to the bear, so who knows.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

a kitten posted:

So can we expect "rawr" from the official translations? (I'm fine with that).
Or maybe "grr argh"

The spanish translation didn't even bother with the japanese spoken sound effects. Spain is no fun.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Renoistic posted:

But I'm actually angry at a fictional character. And the way anime shows work, I seriously doubt I'm going to get to see the villain get his comeuppance, but instead see a vague and confusing ending, which makes it worse. Still, kudos to the director for doing a story like that without making it feel exploitative
Akio makes a really good villain. Without getting too deep into black-bar territory, I don't think the ending of Utena is ambiguous. The potential aftermath is very much open to interpretation.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Renoistic posted:

Sorry for going on a tangent, but I've been marathoning Utena, and have reached the halfway-point of the third season, and just saw the recap episode (33) With Utena and the brother in a love hotel. and I have to hand it to the show's creators - I'm actually upset. That has never happened before. It's not like it came like a shock - season 2 and 3 both led towards this. I could see it coming, like a slow train crash, and I couldn't stop watching. I feel silly for writing this about a show with surfing elephants and sport cars performing synchronized dancing. But I'm actually angry at a fictional character. And the way anime shows work, I seriously doubt I'm going to get to see the villain get his comeuppance, but instead see a vague and confusing ending, which makes it worse. Still, kudos to the director for doing a story like that without making it feel exploitative.

I doubt this show will manage to make the same impact. Didn't feel it at all. Perhaps it's because I watched that Utena episode first...

Trust me, Akio gets his comeuppance. Not in a way one would expect but it's satisfying at least.
If the tv ending isn't comeuppance-y enough for you, then watch the movie. Akio really gets it there.

Also, watch the movie anyway, the music is good(I love Sunlit Garden ~Abraxas~ and the 2 duel themes) and it's very...interesting.

Portable Staplefrog
May 21, 2007

Hard to say if this will be good, but the first episode was weird enough to be interesting.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

all according to keikaku

yeah the subs were...weird, there was german in there and upside down quotation marks and what, did this get babelfished from japanese to german to spanish to english

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

Some of you guys sure are mad at drawings. What did you expect of a show called Lesbian Bear Storm?

Prinny
Jun 12, 2010

by XyloJW

Gyra_Solune posted:

all according to keikaku

yeah the subs were...weird, there was german in there and upside down quotation marks and what, did this get babelfished from japanese to german to spanish to english

they took existing subs from German etc. and just translated those into English, expect better subs in a day or two

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

Captain Failcon

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

The Singing Chav posted:

Some of you guys sure are mad at drawings. What did you expect of a show called Lesbian Bear Storm?

Less sunshine :colbert:

PotU
Jul 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
is this show cute and cool and fun or is it some psychological thriller action bullshit?

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I
It's neither cute, fun, or cool. It is also not psychological.

It's mostly just dumb.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Penguindrum sucked.

Sucked more than this thread.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
First episode was sufficiently weird enough to keep me interested. Will keep watching.

gao gao

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

I kinda liked it. It feels awfully Ikuhara, right down to the gimmicky storytelling tropes and deeply meticulous, play-esque set design, but in a way that felt familiar and cozy instead of rehash-y. It's not the first of his series I would introduce to a newcomer, but it took six episodes for me to get on board with Utena, so what do I know? The direction is on-point, so I'm confident Ikuni isn't just phoning anything in here. The scene where Kureha dashes through the school(and conveniently establishing the surrounding areas of the setting) looking for Sumika was lovely and very striking.

Oodles of silly surrealist humor, too. I'd be perfectly fine with the bear VA's providing every sound effect in the show.

Weird how they stay in chibi form when they go feral.

I didn't really bat an eye at all the super overt SYMBOLISM or nakedness, but I didn't really know what to expect to begin with.

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

do people really think ikuhara is a woman

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Pootybutt posted:

I kinda liked it. It feels awfully Ikuhara, right down to the gimmicky storytelling tropes and deeply meticulous, play-esque set design, but in a way that felt familiar and cozy instead of rehash-y. It's not the first of his series I would introduce to a newcomer, but it took six episodes for me to get on board with Utena, so what do I know? The direction is on-point, so I'm confident Ikuni isn't just phoning anything in here. The scene where Kureha dashes through the school(and conveniently establishing the surrounding areas of the setting) looking for Sumika was lovely and very striking.

Oodles of silly surrealist humor, too. I'd be perfectly fine with the bear VA's providing every sound effect in the show.

Weird how they stay in chibi form when they go feral.

I didn't really bat an eye at all the super overt SYMBOLISM or nakedness, but I didn't really know what to expect to begin with.

I was a little worried that Ikuhara might fall prey to becoming an unintentional parody, but other than that it felt like a pretty solid first episode. With a weaker director I'd roll my eyes at some of the corny yuri stuff in the first half but with Ikuhara at the wheel I'm down with giving him the benefit of the doubt.

I could sorta get an inkling of the social commentary he might be going for (having to stay in groups, choosing to blend in or eat, etc) but it's one of those things I wanna wait on, to get an idea of how it's gonna unfold.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Callick posted:

do people really think ikuhara is a woman

Who the heck implied that? There was some discussion of the manga which is being written by Akiko Morishima who is though. (and is apparently completely different in terms of the plot)

AnacondaHL posted:

Penguindrum sucked.

Sucked more than this thread.
whoa it wasn't great but lets not go overboard now. The only thing worse than this thread is this thread in the weeks to come.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Not really because in a few days the boat anime is going to be coming out.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Speaking of the manga. it's got a few chapters scanned:
http://dynasty-scans.com/series/yuri_kuma_arashi

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Not really because in a few days the boat anime is going to be coming out.

He said worse, not better.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
If Kureha is taking back her love, and there's Kuma Shock, then I therefore conclude that this is Fist of the North Star, except with bears, guns, and lesbians.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

You know, ignoring the obvious thing to argue about for a second, this was kind of a dull first episode. It feels like a parody of Ikuhara, with all the flashing lights and roses and lesbians but nothing to ground it. The characters have very little personality and motivations that are either simple or too abstract to make sense of / relate to yet, and the visuals border on self-plagiarism. It just doesn't feel like there's anything new here, and it doesn't even live up to the energy and charm of the things it's imitating.
Agreed with this. When Kureha did the spinning-while-curled-up thing straight out of the Utena opening, it felt like "hey, here's an Ikuhara thing!" rather than anything to do with the show itself.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

(Madoka)

Descendant of Homura spotted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aers
Feb 15, 2012

I see Madoka wasn't just content with stealing all their ideas from older things, but created a time machine to steal them from the future too.

• Locked thread