Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Kilometers Davis posted:

I find it really strange that I started out on bass doing 1-2-3-4. It just makes sense to me to use every finger as economically as possible. Did anyone else do it right from the start? I suppose the guitar background was the key.

I started out doing it, probably because of guitar as well (not like I have good technique there though) and then I learned to knock it off. That's another thing I like about bass, it feels so practical. Doing your octave shape disco riffs? Use your drat pinky, dingus! For your health

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

Dyna Soar posted:

he says it's a Gibson SB400 n. 1970/71 and linked to more pictures, but the link doesn't work. i'm sure i could get more if i was really interested.

i really dig SG's visually, and it would be a lot different to my fender p.

oh well, i can't really afford it anyway.

It seems like a cool bass, but IMO if I were going for a Gibson bass I'd want a short scale EB to be like Jack Bruce or one of those Les Paul Recording basses with their funky low-impedance pickups.

Kilometers Davis posted:

I find it really strange that I started out on bass doing 1-2-3-4. It just makes sense to me to use every finger as economically as possible. Did anyone else do it right from the start? I suppose the guitar background was the key.

I did it that way from the start, but bass was my first stringed instrument and I didn't have any formal instruction. It was pretty much just my friend telling me "hey I want to start a band use my old bass and put your fingers like this."

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

TopherCStone posted:

e: My guess is that it's a mid 70's model, and I'll try to track down exactly which it is
e: It's an SB-400, probably later production since it doesn't have the beveled body (if the SB series is like the EB series, they dropped the bevels in/after 1972, though this is hard to say because there is a c. 1971 SB-400 ad that shows it without bevels). They are uncommon (less than 1000 made), though I don't believe they are highly sought after.

They aren't. For the most part they were pieces of poo poo. Didn't sound as good/ballsy as the EBs and production quality was pretty drat poor. It's a neat older bass, but really not worth that price tag, at all.

Dyna Soar posted:

he says it's a Gibson SB400 n. 1970/71 and linked to more pictures, but the link doesn't work. i'm sure i could get more if i was really interested.

i really dig SG's visually, and it would be a lot different to my fender p.

oh well, i can't really afford it anyway.

He's asking like almost double what it's worth imo.

Scarf fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Dec 22, 2014

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

TopherCStone posted:

I did it that way from the start, but bass was my first stringed instrument and I didn't have any formal instruction. It was pretty much just my friend telling me "hey I want to start a band use my old bass and put your fingers like this."

baka kaba posted:

I started out doing it, probably because of guitar as well (not like I have good technique there though) and then I learned to knock it off. That's another thing I like about bass, it feels so practical. Doing your octave shape disco riffs? Use your drat pinky, dingus! For your health

Is there a reason to switch really? I can only see it as an advantage as this point. A lot of guys are against it but training myself to use one less finger independently seems wrong.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Scarf posted:

They aren't. For the most part they were pieces of poo poo. Didn't sound as good/ballsy as the EBs and production quality was pretty drat poor. It's a neat older bass, but really not worth that price tag, at all.

He's asking like almost double what it's worth imo.

thanks, i thought it was kinda steep, but i've never seen one for sale.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Kilometers Davis posted:

Is there a reason to switch really? I can only see it as an advantage as this point. A lot of guys are against it but training myself to use one less finger independently seems wrong.

It's just a lot less work, and a lot less pointless stretching, so it's better for your hand - less fatiguing and probably less strain in the long run. You can do one finger per fret when it makes sense (and it's good skill to have so you can play fast) but other times it just feels unnecessary.

It's like Davey boy says in the video, it's a system that's there to help you in some situations, but with bass you're often in situations where it doesn't really apply. Although I started moving some of these habits back to guitar too :unsmigghh:

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Dyna Soar posted:

thanks, i thought it was kinda steep, but i've never seen one for sale.

Yeah, it's one of those classic cases of "just because it's rare doesn't mean it's valuable," or rather just because it's a Gibson doesn't mean it's valuable. It's just one of those basses that only fanatic Gibson collectors would want to complete a collection or something. Or something cool you find at a garage sale.

TriggerHappy
Mar 14, 2007

I use 1234 for some songs, 124 for some songs and 123 for others. It totally depends on the song you're playing.

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.
I need some goonpinions and advice. I am not sure how I feel about my recent Squier Bass VI purchase.

I think it is conceptually awesome and it plays rather nice and all that, but it feels a bit cheap and sounds rather tinny. I haven't tried to change the strings on it yet and I just ordered it brand new from a local chain store so it hasn't really been set up, but it feels like the sound quality may not be something that would be improved with a better set up (I mean it obviously would to some extent, but not overcoming the general 'cheapness' I feel about it). So I guess my question is: Would upgrading it to a Fender Bass VI make much difference? Or another brand of Bass VI? I really like having basically a guitar-bass, but I really don't like the sound and feel of this one exactly.

Edit: Another option at my local shop for almost the same price as the Fender is the Ibanez SRC6 . I don't like how Ibanez basses feel so much (they seem too light) but I love their guitars, so maybe this would be a good mix for me?

EvilChameleon fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Dec 23, 2014

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
The Squier gets so much praise because it's closer to vintage spec than the Fender Pawn Shop VI. By trading up you give up a bound neck, better tuners and vintage pickups+wiring. In exchange you lose one Duncan Designed jag pickup in the bridge position and get a modern humbucker hidden in a jazzmaster pickup cover. You also get a modern circuit with a 5-way pickup selector instead of 4 toggle switches. No bass strangle switch so be careful using it with guitar speaker cabs.

The Squier does need work out of the box. Common tweaks are to flip the bridge, swap the vibrato for a Fender Import jag trem and replace the nut. Also get new strings. The 84' low E is far too thin, I like a 96' low D myself. Labella make custom strings for it, pick individuals though, it's cheaper than buying a full set. Note that many other brands are designed for different VI's which have subtly different scale lengths.

If you're looking for a hybrid instrument with three overwound single coils stick with the Squier. If you want a modern-nofrills version of it for a high price tag go Fender Pawn Shop. Schechter make a nice VI that fits in the middle and that Ibanez looks good too. Final option is a Custom Made in Japan Fender Bass VI with your own specifications. Except they're stupidly expensive and Internet Rumours suggest you have to bribe customs to get it out of the country in less than 18 months. Back before the Pawn Shop and Squier models were released it wasn't unheard of for people to be quoted $14000 to get one shipped to the US on a six month+ timeframe.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I'm enjoying my Squier VI, but I haven't had the chance to properly set it up yet. I was waiting for a backordered set of La Bella white tapes, so I ordered a .098 set from Circle K strings, which is better than the stock set but I'm not really a roundwound person. I'll try to get the tapes on tonight or tomorrow then I'll report back.

My biggest issue is the way the nut is cut, pretty sloppily. Other than that, once I get the action all dialed in I think I'll be quite satisfied.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Lakland had a Bass VI available for an extremely short period of time. I think the limited market kinda forced them to not produce it anymore. Everyone talks about how much they'd LOVE to get one, but once they're available, no one seems to really buy them.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
once you buy one you'll never touch it

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Hey thread, quick question. I have a normal scale, 4 string bass (yamaha of some sort), but I'm going to jam with someone who has a baritone in b standard. Any reasonable way to match up? a capo on 7th sounds crazy, and I can't imagine getting thick enough bass strings on here to tune that low.

I'd rather not buy any new gear for now, but even if I did, I'm not really interested in a 5 string. Help me out guys!

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
You should be able to tune BEAD no problem with a new set of strings.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

field balm posted:

Hey thread, quick question. I have a normal scale, 4 string bass (yamaha of some sort), but I'm going to jam with someone who has a baritone in b standard. Any reasonable way to match up? a capo on 7th sounds crazy, and I can't imagine getting thick enough bass strings on here to tune that low.

I'd rather not buy any new gear for now, but even if I did, I'm not really interested in a 5 string. Help me out guys!

Why would you have to retune your bass to play in a different key?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

field balm posted:

Just don't use any open strings unless you know what they're doing in the key! It's not like they'd be offensively wrong if you're playing in B anyway.

Maybe get an octave down pedal as a matter of pride

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

CheesyDog posted:

You should be able to tune BEAD no problem with a new set of strings.

I don't need anything with a longer scale? That would be ideal really. Any recommendation on a minimum gauge or should I pick up a 5 string set and leave the highest off?

^^ yeah I've just been playing in the key of B in e standard but it seems silly to not have a low B! For jamming its no issue but for covers with already written bass lines it is.

field balm fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Dec 24, 2014

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Well that was really in response to the 'capo on 7' idea, don't go there! But yeah, I doubt you need to go much heavier on the gauge to tune down a couple of steps, just depends on how much tension you need

Or you could risk a pitch shifter :shobon:

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.
^^^ Ain't nothing wrong getting a 5 string, you can get decent ones for cheap, too. Or you could just not care and not worry about having to play open strings.

Verizian posted:

The Squier gets so much praise because it's closer to vintage spec than the Fender Pawn Shop VI. By trading up you give up a bound neck, better tuners and vintage pickups+wiring. In exchange you lose one Duncan Designed jag pickup in the bridge position and get a modern humbucker hidden in a jazzmaster pickup cover. You also get a modern circuit with a 5-way pickup selector instead of 4 toggle switches. No bass strangle switch so be careful using it with guitar speaker cabs.

Thanks for all the info. Ultimately, I really don't care if my bass/guitar looks like one from the 50s/60s, I rather have one that I like the feel and sound of (unless it's exceptionally ugly). I knew going in with this purchase that I would have to do some mods to it to make it more playable, but I just wasn't feeling like it would end up being something I'd /love/ in the end of all that work. So I went back to the store today and got a full refund that I put towards the Ibanez SRC6 which I think I will quite like. And if I don't, I'll just take it back and say "gently caress it" to VI basses.

EvilChameleon fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Dec 24, 2014

rio
Mar 20, 2008

field balm posted:

I don't need anything with a longer scale? That would be ideal really. Any recommendation on a minimum gauge or should I pick up a 5 string set and leave the highest off?

^^ yeah I've just been playing in the key of B in e standard but it seems silly to not have a low B! For jamming its no issue but for covers with already written bass lines it is.

If you want a low B, just get a 5 string. Yes a 35 inch scale will make your B more defined. Realistically, use a 4 string and drop D if you need it or Eb. Anything lower than D just play up the octave.

The bass sounds an octave lower than written anyway, so taking notes up an octave will usually be just fine. Even if you are playing with some SRV biter guitarist in Eb, knowing which notes to play up an octave to maintain a smooth bassline is easier than buying a new bass. 5 string is really more about getting low E F G etc. at the 5th and 6th position. Having the flexibility to have them at two places on the neck is nice.

You could also get a six string :unsmigghh:

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
I just tune down to B, personally. Floppier, but you get used to it.

rockear
Oct 3, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Scarf posted:

Lakland had a Bass VI available for an extremely short period of time. I think the limited market kinda forced them to not produce it anymore. Everyone talks about how much they'd LOVE to get one, but once they're available, no one seems to really buy them.

I believe they only ever made them to order actually, and still do. I bought one on talkbass recently. It's a phenomenal instrument. I haven't figured out how to shoehorn it into any of my bands yet. I still don't regret the purchase at all.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

rockear posted:

I believe they only ever made them to order actually, and still do. I bought one on talkbass recently. It's a phenomenal instrument. I haven't figured out how to shoehorn it into any of my bands yet. I still don't regret the purchase at all.

That makes sense. That's probably the best way to manufacture and distribute them unless you're a huge manufacturer like Fender.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

Got my white La Bella tapes on the VI just now. Initial tonal analysis: quite good, though the low E feels a bit weak (probably because of pickup height though). "Round" and "woody" in my personal interpretation of those words. I was a bit worried that they'd be too bright because I heard someone once say they were almost like roundwounds. They certainly have more top end than flats do, but they don't have that sizzle you find with rounds. Chords sound good on the high strings, and surprisingly they are more clear (but still not very pleasant) on the low strings compared to the D'Addario and Circle K sets I had before. They also feel nice and are much easier to fret and bend than the others. Definitely need to add relief to the neck but I am going to let it settle in for a few hours before I make any adjustments. After relief I will do intonation, etc.

I'm glad that every string is wrapped, which means that they should have a very long lifetime.

Chimbley Sweep
Jul 21, 2006

haggisforthesoul's mortal frenemy
New toy! I was debating whether to go with the Rat, the OCD, or the Mosfet Full-Drive 2. I liked OCD a lot but it doesn't seem to have the versatility or range that the Rat has. The Mosfet sounds decent and the CompCut switch makes the boost sound great, but it didn't seem to have as much range in distortion.
The Keeley Luna Overdrive was my first choice but a little too pricey at the moment.

I have my fuzz (Bass Big Muff) and distortion taken care of, now I need to figure out what I need next for my board I'm building. I'm thinking something like Bassballs or a Phase 90 or just a good compressor.

White Rabbit
Sep 8, 2004

We Do Not Sow.
Yeah get an attack filter to go with your muff! I remember basically just jamming funk grooves for days when I first combined a filter with my fuzz, so much fun! I suggest Aguilar's Twin Filter for a subtle effect. From what I hear the Bassballs is as much a filter as a distortion pedal and despite the low price isnt very much loved.

Chimbley Sweep
Jul 21, 2006

haggisforthesoul's mortal frenemy

White Rabbit posted:

Yeah get an attack filter to go with your muff! I remember basically just jamming funk grooves for days when I first combined a filter with my fuzz, so much fun! I suggest Aguilar's Twin Filter for a subtle effect. From what I hear the Bassballs is as much a filter as a distortion pedal and despite the low price isnt very much loved.

Thanks for the suggestion! Checked out some demos and the Aguilar Twin Filter sounds great compared to the Bassballs

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Where can you guys Get an ashbory bass? I love the freaky short bass that sounds like a mammoth

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

Odddzy posted:

Where can you guys Get an ashbory bass? I love the freaky short bass that sounds like a mammoth

You would have to search the used market, they've been out of production for a while*. If you're looking for something in stores, Kala produces the U-Bass which includes an electric design somewhat similar to the Ashbory, as well as an "electro-acoustic" ukulele model. I've played a few of the ukulele models now, and I really like the fretless ones.

*Edit:That is, the original Fender and Guild ones seem to no longer be in production. Other companies may be releasing clones, however, so it might be worth a little poking around.

Jeff Goldblum fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Dec 30, 2014

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

Odddzy posted:

From me! I have a blue one I'm looking to sell. PM? :)

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

aunt jemima posted:

From me! I have a blue one I'm looking to sell. PM? :)

I live in montreal and have around 250$ to spend! I really dont mean it as a lowball offer, just that I was looking for easy places to look for one so I totally understand if the price is too low.

Jonithen
Jul 23, 2008
Not sure if this would be better served in the home recording thread, but I'm having a hell of a time with my fretless going through iRigHD / amplitube 3. I am probably an idiot, but I am hoping someone might be able to throw an idea or two my way.

Anything other than having the tone knob zeroed is just atrocious. The thing is, it sounds fine going through my main amp (Fender rumble 350 combo). I'm using the basic free complete rigs, and everything just sounds godawful. If I run one of my other basses through it I get something I can work with. It's quite aggravating and I'm not sure what to do.

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.
I'm doing some home recording and picked up a Yamaha RBX374 4 string basson the cheap to do the bass work on my metal / blues tracks. At the moment I'm playing in E standard so having a standard tuned bass is no problem. However in the future I may play some stuff in D standard or Drop C.

So my question is, can you put the bottom 4 strings of a 5 string bass set of strings on a 4 string guitar and tune it to BEAD? I imagine I'll have to do some truss rod and bridge height adjustment.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
yeah that's no problem. you'll have to do some set-up and the slightly shorter scale than what i'd usually go for on a low B will make it a little floppy, but nothing bad. you'll definitely have to file the nut.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

Nigel Tufnel posted:

I'm doing some home recording and picked up a Yamaha RBX374 4 string basson the cheap to do the bass work on my metal / blues tracks. At the moment I'm playing in E standard so having a standard tuned bass is no problem. However in the future I may play some stuff in D standard or Drop C.

So my question is, can you put the bottom 4 strings of a 5 string bass set of strings on a 4 string guitar and tune it to BEAD? I imagine I'll have to do some truss rod and bridge height adjustment.

You may need to file out the nut for string space, that bottom string is going to be quite a bit larger than the original sizing.

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.
Thanks guys. Any recommendations for strings for rock / blues. I am confused by the jazz / slinky / whatever options.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Nigel Tufnel posted:

Thanks guys. Any recommendations for strings for rock / blues. I am confused by the jazz / slinky / whatever options.

I'd recommend DR High Beams or Lo-Riders. Both are bright with some good bite when you dig in. You can get them in stainless or nickel plated... Stainless will be brighter than nickel but is also harsher on your fingers. And the Lo-Riders are hex core so they've got more tension (which I like).

If you're going for more of like a classic rock/blues sound, I'd look into some half/ground-rounds. They'll give you a smoother sound than roundwounds but will still have some bite to them when you need it.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
I don't normally get down with stainless steel, but Lo-Riders are great strings. Super bright right out of the package, but they mellow out nicely, and I love the way they feel.

I'm not sure I like the Dingwall strings that came with my Super P, so some experimentation is in order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

If you don't think you will need to go all the way down to B consider grabbing a five string set and throwing out the E string.

That should let you tune to drop C without the usual B string floppiness (the B goes up to C and the other three strings are dropped to GCF).