Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

Definitely will keep you updated. If it doesn't work out I have a pond to rehome. Worst case scenario they are cheap fish so it's not that big of a deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

One of my coworkers left her betta with me when she left the day care because the kids liked to watch the fish. Well I went into work later than normal the last two weeks and my boss has taken it on herself to feed the fish.

I've asked her not to but she still ignores me so the food got hidden. Even my ten gallon tank isn't doing so great but between all the guppies and the catfish it isn't that terrible.

Len fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jan 2, 2015

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
Jesus Christ. Your boss is like 5 or 6 years old, right?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

SocketWrench posted:

Jesus Christ. Your boss is like 5 or 6 years old, right?

Like mid-50s. Even the kids do better at feeding the fish than she does.

On the plus side tomorrow is tank cleaning day so it's gonna look better.

Len fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jan 2, 2015

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
Yeah, but....for gently caress's sake, everyone knows if there's tons of food on the bottom that you're feeding too much. Even small children know that

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

I don't understand why so many people have so much trouble properly keeping fish. It's really not that hard. I guess it's a little more involved than keeping some other pets. Maybe just my character but before I do anything I do extensive research on it.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I'd say most people see an aquarium as furniture, they don't see it as a pet habitat.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Hey folks, recently the t5ho fixture on my 55 crapped itself, losing literally half the lights. Even lost half the blue moon LEDs, so I did something right I guess? Anyway, I was gonna get something comparable to it but I got tired of the tank looking like garbage so I spent a few hours mocking up something. I'm blaming the algae on the old, dead fixture:

A real beauty, isn't it? Some of the bits I had on hand, and some of them I had to buy, but like I said this is just a mock up/temp set up anyway. Mostly wondering about just how I'm going to arrange the lights and which ones I'll even use. Any feedback will be appreciated.

So these are the bulbs that I'm messing with. Left is a 6500k bulb, right is a 2700k bulb and both are 24w CFLs and roughly equivalent to 100w incandescent bulbs. 6500k bulbs are a given, but I'm thinking I may want to mix it up a little. The lamps themselves are just 8 inch brooder lamps, cheap and easy to find.

This is one of each of those bulbs inside one 10.5 inch brooder lamp. Bought a little screw-in splitter for $2. The fit's a little tight but totally doable.

Left is two 6500k bulbs, right is one of each.

Set phasers to kill! Had to turn them all on at least to see how it looked.

Right now I'm thinking either going with four double lights, or maybe two large ones in the middle and two smaller ones with 6500ks in them. I don't quite trust myself though so any thoughts/opinions are welcome.

Here's a bonus duckweed action shot:

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
That's basically what i did. Built a stand out of pvc and hung two of those lamps from it with daylight bulbs. All the fish and plants perked up too. Had to cut down on the lighting time though because the algae took off

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I've been having really bad algae, the brownish stuff which coats the glass and leaves and rocks, but only in my big tank. I thought it was due to lighting or new tank syndrome but then I realised the only reason my other tanks don't have it is because they have snails. I threw some ramshorn snails in and within 2 days most of it was gone. However I found a completely empty picked clean shell at the bottom earlier, so either the anti fluke medicine did it in then the barbs ate it, or the barbs got hungry and ate it without help. I've seen some other surviving snails so I will wait and see if any more empties show up.

The fish seem to have mostly recovered from their shyness but I'm still seeing them flashing and some have rubbed off a scale here and there. I'm going to try dosing them with Protozin next which I think is malachite green, formalin and some other ingredient I don't remember, maybe copper sulphate? I have some metronidazole coming too since they're still doing the occasional white stringy poop and I read it could be caused by hexamita. One of my new fish was starting to look a bit bloated so as an experiment I am feeding them a bit less in case she is just a greedy guts and this seems to be helping. I was comparing her size to the other female and she was much bigger, but then I think I had sexed them wrong. I'd been basing it on body shape and intensity of their black spot; well mostly they are all the same shape, still too young to really tell. However the tail spot apparently doesn't mean anything and it's the blackness of their top fin that matters. So I had correctly sexed Lemon, the fatty, as female, but Olive the plump green/orange one is apparently male, as is Melon the pink and green one. Ozzie the yellow and green one is apparently female and therefore would be the mother of all the baby fish I have. The remaining one, Pinky seems to be male. He is torpedo shaped and has black on his fin but his tail spot is quite faint. So the fish that I now think are female also have only yellow and no orange at all as well as no black on their fins so I think I have it right this time. Anyway watching them eat, Lemon is voracious and was definitely getting too much of the food.

I'm not sure whether I'm supposed to get rid of my coloured water after I've done the course of Protozin, it doesn't say to do any water changes on the container. Any ideas?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

So the tanks have been scrubbed and everything is good in the betas tank. But now I'm wondering what I can do if the boss continues to ignore me and feeds the fish. Better filters is probably something right? What exactly should I do to go about getting something better? Right now I'm thinking about going to Petsmart and asking what they would get but I assume that they'll just sell me something overpriced I don't need.

So goons that know far more than me. What should I get for a ten gallon tank and (I think) a five gallon tank? Right now I have cheap cartridge filters in case anyone asks.

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

Your boss just needs to feed less. You shouldn't even really have to feed it but every other day. You should probably just show her how to properly feed the fish and explain how too much food = ammonia = dead fish.

As far as filters for small tanks, I'm a big fan of all of the aquaclear hang on backs. An AC20 will be more than enough for your tank.

If anyone is looking for driftwood, especially if you have a big tank or multiple tanks, https://www.manzanita-driftwood.com has a buy 2 get 1 free deal going. I've ordered several pieces from them that are awesome. Photos of every piece and measurements are availlable on the website.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

SocketWrench posted:

That's basically what i did. Built a stand out of pvc and hung two of those lamps from it with daylight bulbs. All the fish and plants perked up too. Had to cut down on the lighting time though because the algae took off

Yeah, It's looking like I'll have plenty of light, the game is me trying to balance the color of the light a bit. I was running three 6500k and one roseate bulb in my t5 fixture and I liked that and look, so now I'm trying to get something like that going. Also good to know I'm not alone in thinking like this about lamps and cfls.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Shakenbaker posted:

Yeah, It's looking like I'll have plenty of light, the game is me trying to balance the color of the light a bit. I was running three 6500k and one roseate bulb in my t5 fixture and I liked that and look, so now I'm trying to get something like that going. Also good to know I'm not alone in thinking like this about lamps and cfls.

I think it would be more widespread if it didn't look so ugly vs some neat and tidy light bar or cover. I figured I'd go this way after seeing a few dedicated plant tanks with stuff that needed lots of light like mangroves using the same setup. Best part is the "lucky bamboo" seems to like it despite being rather sensitive to direct sunlight. The roots on the Pothos exploded and have grown into thick bushes for the shrimp to hide in since building these lights too.
It's also bright enough to double as the room light, and since it's right next to the bed I rigged up a set of blinds that can be lowered between the bed and tank when I go to sleep so it doesn't wake me up early in the morning.

take me to the beaver
Mar 28, 2010

Len posted:

So the tanks have been scrubbed and everything is good in the betas tank. But now I'm wondering what I can do if the boss continues to ignore me and feeds the fish. Better filters is probably something right? What exactly should I do to go about getting something better? Right now I'm thinking about going to Petsmart and asking what they would get but I assume that they'll just sell me something overpriced I don't need.

The lesson I've learned from living with people who like to (over)feed is that it's pretty easy to just hide the fish food...

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

nonnemaus posted:

The lesson I've learned from living with people who like to (over)feed is that it's pretty easy to just hide the fish food...

The problem here is that the fish are in a room with kids between the age of 5 and 11. Last time I hid the food they told her where it was at as soon as they could. Kids are the goddamn worst but even they understand the concept of "a little."

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Len posted:

The problem here is that the fish are in a room with kids between the age of 5 and 11. Last time I hid the food they told her where it was at as soon as they could. Kids are the goddamn worst but even they understand the concept of "a little."

Hide it where they don't know either.

Thalamas
Dec 5, 2003

Sup?

Stoca Zola posted:

The fish seem to have mostly recovered from their shyness but I'm still seeing them flashing and some have rubbed off a scale here and there. I'm going to try dosing them with Protozin next which I think is malachite green, formalin and some other ingredient I don't remember, maybe copper sulphate?

Copper will kill your snails.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Thalamas posted:

Copper will kill your snails.

I've got a snail trap in the tank right now hoping to nab the stragglers and have fished out the big ones already, definitely going to get out as many as I can before I dose the tank. Since I have a snail tank already I can always repopulate later but I do want to minimise rotten dead snails. I'm thinking about taking the wood out too so that it doesn't soak up copper and poison everything later on. There is definitely something either fluffy or slimy visible at the base of the dorsal fin of one fish so I'm keen to stop it in its tracks before it gets worse. Better to get this done now before the snails get entrenched and their numbers build up, and before I get any corys; I'm trying to work out the logistics of not tainting all my hoses and equipment with copper since I don't have old or spare stuff to use. Might look at whether Cuprisorb or similar is available to protect any future sensitive livestock, anyone tried it?

Of the 13 baby fish that I started with, I was able to count 10 of them today, which is two more than I thought I had. Three or four of them are very small and I would say underdeveloped compared to the others and most likely I just hadn't been counting them all before. One of the small ones and one slightly bigger one either have deformed tails or have very tightly clamped fins. I really shouldn't be surprised if I have some runty fish, I wasn't expecting so many of them to still be alive after this long.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
After tweaking the rate of CO2 injection a bit higher ( now at ~15bpm ) the plant growth has started to recover! Tons of new growth but also algae, though I understand as long as I keep up water changes, eventually the plants will outcompete the algae for resources and it should die off a bit eh?

Now that things are going so well, we lost both of the T5HO's last night - the way the circuitry works for this fluval kit if one of the lights dies they both die - and I'm tired of buying these goddamn bulbs every year ( or more ). So we pulled the trigger on an LED setup ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GH9HUQ0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ) since at $110, it's really only $60 more than new T5's & seems to have the right wavelengths and good reviews.

Has anyone ever made the switch from flourescent to LED? It's so hard to tell based on the reviews how well it will work because everyone seems to be doing planted tanks in either a 29 gallon <18" depth or a 75+ gallon setup >18" depth. We have a 46G bowfront ( Fluval, 180 / Vicenza ) that's 18" deep, so I think we'll get enough light down there.

How about going from covered to open top? Even Fluval don't make a closed top LED strip for our model so the only option other than sticking with T5's is to just pop the top off. What kind of evaporation levels are we talking here? I do weekly water changes anyway so I'm not TOO concerned but based on a little 3G spec with a semi-open top ( cut out for the LED's ) that loses water at a noticeable rate, having even more surface area to evaporate from seems not good. The trend nowadays though seems to be open tops so I guess as long as you don't have jumpers it should be fine, otherwise so many people wouldn't be doing it right?

Also - That LED won't show up until Wednesday. So now I'm kind of concerned that all the recent plant growth is just going to die off with 0 lighting aside from external ( so at this time of year, almost nothing ). I've angled a halogen in the room to point straight at the tank which gives enough light the fish can see to eat, but I don't think it's giving anything to the plants themselves.

TollTheHounds fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jan 5, 2015

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
I had a small LED bar prior to my current setup. It did well for low light plants, but anything that needed lots wouldn't get enough from it.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

SynthOrange posted:

If the fish are dead, the tank's not ready.

Accidentally nearly used this method to test a tank yesterday. I set up a new tank, used an existing sponge filter but when some fry were moved across, they went limp after a couple of minutes of seemingly normal activity. Managed to resuscitate them by quickly getting them back to their old tank; my best guess is that the dose rate on the bottle of the new dechlorinator I used isn't adequate for my water. Always monitor your fish/tank after major changes!

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Looks like my "deformed" fish fry were just unhappy about being bossed around by their bigger siblings. All the ones who had tiny cramped up or pointy tails look completely normal now they are in their own separate tank, although they are still very runty compared to the bigger ones. Could be they were just not getting access to the food before, who knows? I hope they do grow to a proper size and aren't stunted for life.

I've had one of the adult rosy barbs stop eating and hide a lot for a few days now. She's from the shop bought batch, and the previous ones that have already died went the same way, usually overnight or within 36 hours whereas this one is fighting it longer. While she was still eating she bloated up a little bit but went down again; I still don't know if this was eggs or actual bloating since from what I've read a fish with dropsy can go up and down a few times before it dies, giving you false hope that it will survive. I don't have anything antibiotic to try if it is a bacterial internal infection causing dropsy. But she isn't bloated right now, and I read somewhere that some protozoan parasites like costia can cause the hiding/off their food symptoms, so I've moved the sick fish into a hospital tank to throw Protozin at her since thats the only medication I have. She has been breathing fast I think, so it could actually be something in her gills but it feels like I'm stabbing in the dark. Better than doing nothing. I hope she doesn't die because that will leave me with one female and three males which is not a good mix. She hasn't really gotten worse or better since she's been isolated so perhaps she'll pull through. The other surviving shop-bought fish has a little chunk missing near his dorsal fin, not really sure how he got it but it looks clean and I've painted a little betadine on it in hope that it stops it from getting infected. It doesn't seem to bother him at all. Could be just from fighting between the males in the tank, although I haven't really seen much earnest aggression. They're all a lot more confident and friendly and I got some nudges and nips on my arm (trying to eat my freckles) while I was replanting some of the plants they'd pulled up today. Pretty funny to watch them ripping off and eating leaves, and uprooting things. They seem to love the Hydrilla the most.

I've ordered some cherry shrimp to go in the new nano tank. Initially I was thinking of growing out my fry in with the shrimps but I think it will be too crowded in there. After the dechlorinator debacle I have tested that tank with a snail and a single fry and they are doing fine now so I think it's ready. I've got some rocks and moss in there but I'd like to have a twig wrapped in moss too to give the shrimp some surfaces at different levels in the tank. I found some nice dead sticks on my jacaranda tree but I'm not sure if they'll be aquarium safe. I can't find anything online about jacaranda toxicity apart from that rabbits have safely eaten the flowers before, but that doesn't tell me much. They have kind of a nasty smell to them so I'm not sure that I want to use them. Apparently dead oak leaves are good for shrimp and oak twigs can be used as is without needing to remove the bark, so I went for a drive to gather some; didn't find any particularly nice looking ones but I might be able to use them for something. Here's the tank so far:

I'd like to lean the stick toward the back but maybe have a branch that juts to the front with moss, maybe fissidens, on it. Not sure that the round sponge filter will stay in there permanently, for now I'm just using it to seed the tank. I've got some black plastic mesh so maybe a moss wall on the back of the tank could work too, although that could be more trouble than it's worth.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Holy poo poo! The owner of the LFS down the road knows that I am into fish photography, and just invited me to come hang out in the store after hours while a National Geographic photographer ( http://www.joelsartore.com/ ) is taking photos of his stock. He has a pretty amazing portfolio, so hopefully I can pick up a thing or two!

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

What is everyone's ideal method of taking care of an algae bloom? Our water has become pretty darn cloudy and green. The steps I have begun to take is to leave the light off on the tank, do a 25% water change every two days, and leave the lid on the tank open during the day. I am also keeping it out of any kind of sunlight. Any other steps I should be taking? I know sunlight can cause this, but it is never in direct sunlight, just indirect. Should I consider moving the tank anyways?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

You've covered most of the bases there, but another big contributor is overfeeding. Try cutting back by half for a week or so, and see if that helps.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

Enos Cabell posted:

Holy poo poo! The owner of the LFS down the road knows that I am into fish photography, and just invited me to come hang out in the store after hours while a National Geographic photographer ( http://www.joelsartore.com/ ) is taking photos of his stock. He has a pretty amazing portfolio, so hopefully I can pick up a thing or two!

What store is it, if you don't mind me asking? I would love to look it up and spend some time looking at fish pictures while dreaming that I had a LFS that made it into National Geographic.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Enos Cabell posted:

You've covered most of the bases there, but another big contributor is overfeeding. Try cutting back by half for a week or so, and see if that helps.

Yep, forgot to mention I did that as well. How long does these usually last once you start treating it? It's a 20 gallon tank.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Bait and Swatch posted:

What store is it, if you don't mind me asking? I would love to look it up and spend some time looking at fish pictures while dreaming that I had a LFS that made it into National Geographic.

Well the store isn't getting into the mag, the photographer just happens to be local and a friend of the owner. It's actually a pretty small shop, but the owner is a good guy and very knowledgable. https://pureaquariums.com I don't believe any of those photos were taken by the nat geo guy though, sadly.

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Yep, forgot to mention I did that as well. How long does these usually last once you start treating it? It's a 20 gallon tank.

The last time it happened to me, it took about a week or so to clear up. I was a dumbass and switched my light timer from "timer" to "on" while working on something, and then didn't catch it for like six weeks.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
so, first week with the lid off and plants are doing great ( or at least the embedded algae on the driftwood is - bubbles all over the place, I assume/hope oxygen ), however we must have some dirty rear end air because there is a kind of nasty layer on the top of the tank. We don't use a bubbler anymore because I read awhile back that it leads to TOO much off-gassing so you lose any CO2 you might be injecting ( or the fish are generating ), but this dust/cat hair layer is also kind of disturbing.

I mean, it's not like it's THICK or anything, just kind of like a thin layer on the top of the water.

Is this just something everyone with an open tank deals with? Is our place just insanely dusty?

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica

Enos Cabell posted:

Well the store isn't getting into the mag, the photographer just happens to be local and a friend of the owner. It's actually a pretty small shop, but the owner is a good guy and very knowledgable. https://pureaquariums.com I don't believe any of those photos were taken by the nat geo guy though, sadly.

The last time it happened to me, it took about a week or so to clear up. I was a dumbass and switched my light timer from "timer" to "on" while working on something, and then didn't catch it for like six weeks.

Holy crap I've been there when I was in Lincoln for work and missing my fish.

It's a nice store.

Lets post all post our LFSs
Aquatics Unlimited - Basically a Ciclid Megamart. They get a lot of really cool freshwater stuff in and you'll usually find some really cool rare poo poo. (They've been trying to get rid of an Alligator Gar for like 2-3 years now if you're looking)

BestFish - Really more of a freshwater store, but my main source for ghost shrimp for the puffer.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

TollTheHounds posted:

Is this just something everyone with an open tank deals with? Is our place just insanely dusty?

I often see cat hair floating around in my closed top tank let alone my open one. I had a skimmer attachment kind of like this:

which did an okay job of preventing surface scum from building up, not sure if you'd be able adapt something like that to your filter?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

SkaAndScreenplays posted:

Holy crap I've been there when I was in Lincoln for work and missing my fish.

It's a nice store.

Haha drat, small world! Next time you are in town and missing your tanks, you can come over and do maintenance on a few of mine :cheeky:

TollTheHounds posted:

That is just going to happen without some sort of surface movement. In my planted apisto tank, I have the sponge filter bubbling at a very low rate, only a few bubbles a second, and that is enough to keep a film from forming.

We also have 3 cats and a dog in the house, so I have a dedicated "hair net" that I use to pull any floaters out.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

Stoca Zola posted:

I often see cat hair floating around in my closed top tank let alone my open one. I had a skimmer attachment kind of like this:

which did an okay job of preventing surface scum from building up, not sure if you'd be able adapt something like that to your filter?

It's a fluval canister filter that sits underneath ( it has an integrated stand with holes for the tubing that goes straight up into the tank ), so not much by way of things to attach to.

Enos Cabell posted:

That is just going to happen without some sort of surface movement. In my planted apisto tank, I have the sponge filter bubbling at a very low rate, only a few bubbles a second, and that is enough to keep a film from forming.

We also have 3 cats and a dog in the house, so I have a dedicated "hair net" that I use to pull any floaters out.

I suppose that is an option, getting an adjustable bubbler or maybe just angling the outflow to try and get it to break the surface a bit.

I guess as long as that's just the way it is, I can try to find some sort of way to work around it. Thanks!

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

TollTheHounds posted:

so, first week with the lid off and plants are doing great ( or at least the embedded algae on the driftwood is - bubbles all over the place, I assume/hope oxygen ), however we must have some dirty rear end air because there is a kind of nasty layer on the top of the tank. We don't use a bubbler anymore because I read awhile back that it leads to TOO much off-gassing so you lose any CO2 you might be injecting ( or the fish are generating ), but this dust/cat hair layer is also kind of disturbing.

I mean, it's not like it's THICK or anything, just kind of like a thin layer on the top of the water.

I get it too, the place I live is rather dusty at times. Usually the filters pick it up in time

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
How much copies over from salt aquatics at times? I suspect a weaker flow version would still be too much, though it is pretty much what I've been seeing lately of people. IEputting spray bars the length or width of their aquarium and then having the intake either lower down on the same side, or at least on the oposite side. I've also seen lily pipes done that way as well. Anyway, it is a gyre pump.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GID4pFUNJts&t=167s

Demonstration video showing it circulate around. Even on the lowest setting for that model, it would be too much for the typical 20-40gal tanks most freshwater people have. I could see them useful in larger 100+ tanks though. On the other hand, I can see shrimp getting mulched in it quickly.

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

Certain plants like a little bit of flow, others will get ripped apart. Some fish prefer stronger currents especially river fish. Spray bars are good to provide surface agitation and oxygen exchange.

I just bought one of these for my 75 to try out. I've never used a powerhead before so this is an expreiment.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008EDCJXG/ref=sr_ph?ie=UTF8&qid=1421026808&sr=1&keywords=powerhead

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Whale Cancer posted:

Certain plants like a little bit of flow, others will get ripped apart. Some fish prefer stronger currents especially river fish. Spray bars are good to provide surface agitation and oxygen exchange.

I just bought one of these for my 75 to try out. I've never used a powerhead before so this is an expreiment.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008EDCJXG/ref=sr_ph?ie=UTF8&qid=1421026808&sr=1&keywords=powerhead

Yeah, the company is stating that there will be a lower gph version coming in q1 2015. Same with an even larger version. I figured the thing would be running in the 10-20% range anyway if the gph is low enough. Many of the videos I see of them have it slightly pointed at the surface causing the surface to really ripple about. I was thinking of river fish anyway. Otos I recall are used to faster streams than what is provided in tanks. Meanwhile, shrimp are obviously used to calm lakes. Same with CPDs. I think cories are streams as well. Anyway, thought I would share and ask thoughts on it. The typical small fresh water aquarium size would make them too large even at their lowest setting. When you get into 100gal tanks, the gyre might be kind of useful to help cover dead spots better. Especially with larger stream fish inhabiting the tank.

dirtycajun
Aug 27, 2004

SUCKING DICKS AND SQUEEZING TITTIES
Well, I need to post again and it is really annoying. I had the algae problem under control, there was minimal green algae and everything was fine. Then I redid my tank for Christmas so that I could actually have a planted tank. Flourite sand, fertilizers on the EI schedule, inline CO2 injection. The works essentially.

Then the brown algae came back, with a loving vengeance. This stringy brown poo poo is taking over the tank, I think it loves CO2 injection and will kill my plants and moss every drat time by blocking out all light in the tank and growing on top the plants. Same lights, same fish, same feeding schedule. It's just like when I first had the tank going. loving apocalypse of brown string algae. Water quality is excellent though and the fish are happy. Oh and to boot, I have not found fish that will eat it yet.

Need help please.

http://imgur.com/SaOOgZC
http://imgur.com/vElmNxA
http://imgur.com/ffhaxw7

dirtycajun fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jan 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dirtycajun
Aug 27, 2004

SUCKING DICKS AND SQUEEZING TITTIES
I came downstairs to look at it and after 50% water change and a cleaning last night it has turned into Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark artwork. What the gently caress.