Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
North Florida: Just as rednecky as Alabama, but with less songs written about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Wasn't Lynyrd Skynyrd from Northern Florida? Like, they were so embarrassed about it they pretended they were from loving Alabama.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

I used to live in North Florida (Okaloosa county) and my first time hearing the "mullet festival" had me in hysterics.

Seriously, the place is demon spawn. I'd rather go to prison than have to live there again.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
I grew up in Pensacola, and indeed the panhandle sucks rear end.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Pleads posted:

North Florida: The closest you can get to being out of Florida!

Looks like someone doesn't know the old adage: "The further north you go, the further South you get".

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

stubblyhead posted:

I grew up in Pensacola, and indeed the panhandle sucks rear end.

I was gonna rush in here and defend Pensacola as a great place since my whole town liked to go there for vacation. Then I remembered that my home town was Owensboro, KY. So I guess it really is redneck paradise :shrug:

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
Yeah, coming from the rural Midwest, going to north Florida is like visiting a warmer version of home with tons more poo poo to do. And feral chickens for us to gawk at.

Seriously how do you let chickens go feral :iiam:

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Yeah, coming from the rural Midwest, going to north Florida is like visiting a warmer version of home with tons more poo poo to do. And feral chickens for us to gawk at.

Well, all they had to do was cross the road.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

ask los angeles

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Every day LA gets a little closer to becoming Tijuana 2: electric boogaloo.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang posted:

I was gonna rush in here and defend Pensacola as a great place since my whole town liked to go there for vacation. Then I remembered that my home town was Owensboro, KY. So I guess it really is redneck paradise :shrug:

I will concede that Pensacola, and Pensacola Beach in particular, is a nice place to visit. Living there permanently is dreadful though, and I don't recommend it.

e: And the proper term is Redneck Riviera.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

ColHannibal posted:

Every day LA gets a little closer to becoming Tijuana 2: electric boogaloo.

stubblyhead posted:

I will concede that Pensacola, and Pensacola Beach in particular, is a nice place to visit. Living there permanently is dreadful though, and I don't recommend it.

Thats pretty much Florida, not just Pensacola.

Anyone who has never been, this is how you Florida:

Fly into OIA. Spend 4 days doing the Disney/Universal experience. Don't eat at any "local" resturants. Chain or starve because its sketchy once you venture off. Also, unless you are looking for hookers or coke, stay away from OBT. Once you have done that, rent a car, take 528 east. Drive till you hit water, back up 30 yards. Thats Cape Canaveral. Spend a couple nights there, one day at the beach, 2 hours doing the NASA thing at Kennedy. I would say a day, but lets face it, there ain't poo poo going down anymore to make going anywhere but the Visitor's Complex worth while. Spend the rest of the day at the beach getting your sunburn on. Drive back the next morning, fly out of OIA, and never go back again.

Also, if you do this in the middle of July, lol.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

stubblyhead posted:

Genocide Tendency posted:

Thats pretty much Florida, not just Pensacola.

I used to live in Panama City, and I can confirm this. Hell, unlike Pensacola PCB isn't even nice enough to visit, so it doesn't even have that going for it. I have no idea why that hellhole is a Spring Break hotspot.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Also, if you do this in the middle of July, lol.

We did basically the same thing. In August. With four kids. Never.. never ever again.

I have FB friends that delight in posting weather reports for their location in Florida this time of year, in order to piss off us northerners. But honestly, how the hell can you stand your state in August? When you have 100% humidity, and the temperature's pushing 100F, and you blister just by venturing out to get the newspaper. All summer long. Forget it. I'll take the snow, thanks.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.

This is the best thing I've read all day. I now love the feral freeway chickens.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.

"Zamboni hydraulic fluid leaked everywhere"

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

But honestly, how the hell can you stand your state in August? When you have 100% humidity, and the temperature's pushing 100F, and you blister just by venturing out to get the newspaper. All summer long. Forget it. I'll take the snow, thanks.

I grew up here. You get used to it, honestly.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

kinmik posted:

That's what they want you to think.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

I have FB friends that delight in posting weather reports for their location in Florida this time of year, in order to piss off us northerners. But honestly, how the hell can you stand your state in August? When you have 100% humidity, and the temperature's pushing 100F, and you blister just by venturing out to get the newspaper. All summer long. Forget it. I'll take the snow, thanks.

Hey, we don't get much to brag about here in Florida. Let us have this one thing.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

kinmik posted:

I thought everybody knew hockey rinks were covered with a red, man-made fluid.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

When you have 100% humidity, and the temperature's pushing 100F, and you blister just by venturing out to get the newspaper. All summer long. Forget it. I'll take the snow, thanks.

You are leaving out the part where summer is a 51 week long season.

Anyone who had sub 70 temps, or what the rest of the world considers "reasonable weather" managed to catch winter on their vacation.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Anyone who had sub 70 temps, or what the rest of the world considers "reasonable weather" managed to catch winter on their vacation.

Yeah, true. I guess I just like Winter. Although, at least here in NE Ohio, it gets tedious long about Valentine's Day, and there have been some years when February seemed like it had 90 days.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

My dear neighbor who keeps drawing nazi symbols on the board,
here's a symbolic picture for you.
Can you understand what this represents?

Compassionately,
regards, other neighbor.

PS: Size doesn't matter

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Soulex posted:

I used to live in North Florida (Okaloosa county) and my first time hearing the "mullet festival" had me in hysterics.

Seriously, the place is demon spawn. I'd rather go to prison than have to live there again.

Are you talking about the Mullet Toss at Floribama? Because that is fun as poo poo.

Also in case you didn't know they're talking about Mullet the fish, not the haircut.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Cythereal posted:

Also pretty much every interior space is air conditioned, so even though it's pushing 100 outside it's still 68 in your living room/the store/pretty much everywhere with four walls. Unless your parents are energy misers like mine were who keep it at 80.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Feral chickens own. Real free range chicken. Probably tastes amazing

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Applicant shows initiative.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Mouse Dresser posted:

This is the best thing I've read all day. I now love the feral freeway chickens.

josiahgould
Nov 10, 2009

MindlessHavok posted:

Are you talking about the Mullet Toss at Floribama? Because that is fun as poo poo.

Also in case you didn't know they're talking about Mullet the fish, not the haircut.

Nope, he means the Boggy Bayou Mullet Festival in Niceville. Imagine a redneck county fair that actually attracts big music groups. Who then get poo poo tossed at them.

http://www.eonline.com/news/589773/...s-see-the-photo

It's... the only thing to do around here. (Hey, Soulex - Crestview got a distillery!)

josiahgould has a new favorite as of 21:46 on Jan 6, 2015

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Cythereal posted:

Bullshit. I grew up in Houston and lived in Huntsville until I could afford to get the gently caress out and it was miserable every single loving day. Houston is 2 hours from the coast, Huntsville is 3 hours from the coast and both are 85-90% humidity ALL loving YEAR. December, January and February it still gets into the 80s with that bullshit humidity. I'll take the 2-3 weeks a year it gets cold as balls up here in Colorado compared to that poo poo. Hell it snowed for the last week here, but yesterday and today were back into the 50s. And 50 degrees without humidity is tshirt weather here.

gently caress the Gulf Coast.

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.

I would say a day, but lets face it, there ain't poo poo going down anymore to make going anywhere but the Visitor's Complex worth while.

That is just flat out wrong. If you have the chance to see a rocket launch while you're in Florida, do it. It's loving awesome.

The rest is pretty solid. Generally the only thing worth doing in the middle of the state is Orlando and maaaaybe Sebring International Raceway if LeMans is going on and you like cars. Otherwise, stick to the coast. Also, if you're in an area where there's lots of hotels, you're in a touristy part of town, and you can expect everything to be ludicrously expensive. If you piss money away on overpriced tourist poo poo, that's your own drat fault and whining about it just makes Floridians laugh at you.

Then again we (maybe just me) tend to hate all tourists because they act like loving morons when they come down here. The only thing that makes tourists tolerable is tax dollars and seeing them burn themselves to a bright red because they have no idea how the sun works.

grumplestiltzkin has a new favorite as of 00:23 on Jan 7, 2015

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Pictures.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
"I don't know, just copy the website."

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

We did basically the same thing. In August. With four kids. Never.. never ever again.

Don't go outside more than absolutely necessary, enjoy the ridiculous electricity bills.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

josiahgould posted:

Nope, he means the Boggy Bayou Mullet Festival in Niceville. Imagine a redneck county fair that actually attracts big music groups. Who then get poo poo tossed at them.

http://www.eonline.com/news/589773/...s-see-the-photo

It's... the only thing to do around here. (Hey, Soulex - Crestview got a distillery!)

Yup! That's the one! And Crestview is horrible, I'd drown at that distillery. It's the Mos Eisley of cities, with a better chance of being jumped, mugged, or geeked out at by a random stranger than L.A. Or Chicago.

Things I have seen/done in Florida you will not see anywhere else (maybe):
Hurricane Parties are a real thing, and involve lots of drinking. Except when Ivan hit, that poo poo was brutal.
Also people who run to the beach to surf in hurricane season because it's the only time there are swells.
It will literally rain on one side of the road and not the other.
Been pulled over and gotten a ticket by a Game Warden (for driving reasons)
Bonfire parties only really get started when someone decides to jump through the blaze.
Jumping off bridges into rivers is acceptable and normal behavior
The best way to describe the heat and humidity is step into a Sauna right after taking a nice hot shower. That problem breathing you have is real, and no, you won't get used to it for years.
If you've never seen a redneck family go to the beach, you're in for a treat.
Went to the Crik a lot, went tubing and skim boarding despite poisonous snakes marking about.
Someone get life flighted to the hospital because they got their rear end kicked for being gay (happened at my school)
My school was k-12, graduating class under 20.
You will inevitably be Eskimo brothers with someone you know, or Thats how you meet and become friends.
Dipping in school was common place, and some kids would wear three shirts so that they could just open the bottom two and spit so the front one would be clean and no one the wiser.
The is a church on every corner. Almost literally.
gently caress yo pawn. That plant is goddamn horrible.
Everyone thought they were some hard rear end gangster.

There are some good things like the quiet, the stars at night, whippoorwills if they aren't outside your window, and touristy poo poo at redneck riviera like Destin. The Emerald coast is beautiful, but the people are toxic.

Sorry for :words: of text.

Soulex has a new favorite as of 03:35 on Jan 7, 2015

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

This is true. I grew up in South Florida, and I had literally no idea when the seasons were supposed to happen until I'd lived in

for a few years. I just knew that sometimes it was a little colder out than other times.

Soulex posted:

It will literally rain on one side of the road and not the other.

I am quoting this for the people who thought I was lying when I described rain falling on only one side of the covered walkway at my school when I was a young'n.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Someone got arrested driving around a motorized esky.

Strangely it looks exactly the same as another esky-mobile that got that driver arrested and loosing his license in another state.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Centripetal Horse posted:

I am quoting this for the people who thought I was lying when I described rain falling on only one side of the covered walkway at my school when I was a young'n.

Don't forget "Liquid Sunshine". There are people who don't believe me when I say I've seen it rain while the sun was out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Zonekeeper posted:

Don't forget "Liquid Sunshine". There are people who don't believe me when I say I've seen it rain while the sun was out.

poo poo, it does that here in Southeast Michigan. We call 'em sunshowers.

• Locked thread