Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

My biggest problem with Skyrim combat, other than than how floaty and slow it is which I think is unfixable, is that usually all the enemies in a dungeon will either be cardboard (which is boring) or giant walls of meat that can killmove you from full health (which is also boring, but in a different way). Do any of the combat mods actually fix that? Like, smooth it out a bit? Most of them just seem like they make combat baseline harder, which isn't really what I want.

Also, are there any good mods that add a dodge? Dodges are fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Trick Question posted:

My biggest problem with Skyrim combat, other than than how floaty and slow it is which I think is unfixable, is that usually all the enemies in a dungeon will either be cardboard (which is boring) or giant walls of meat that can killmove you from full health (which is also boring, but in a different way). Do any of the combat mods actually fix that? Like, smooth it out a bit? Most of them just seem like they make combat baseline harder, which isn't really what I want.

Also, are there any good mods that add a dodge? Dodges are fun.

I think Deadly Combat has a dodge feature, but yeah there's nothing I know of that addresses the terrible, floaty, spongey orgy that is the combat.

Here's a mod that claims to make combat more like Dark Souls, but I doubt it's as effective as I hope. I have to do a big reinstall of my mods so I haven't tried it yet.

TK HitStop adds artificial weight to combat by creating frame delays on hits, giving melee combat a bit more impact.

Edit: There's a TK Dodge mod as well, which I'm guessing is lighter than DC

FutonForensic fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jan 7, 2015

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009
That Dark Souls combat mod, if the description is to be believed, is nothing that couldn't be accomplished with SkyTweak. The toggled settings would probably be more fun and make stuff more deadly, but ultimately it looks like it'll still feel the same.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

BurntCornMuffin posted:

This has been my experience, too. Ultimate Combat and Deadly Combat running concurrently provides most, if not all of Duels functionality in a far more stable package.

I never would have thought of Duel causing those crashes, because they weren't really connected to combat or, seemingly anything really--they were more likely to happen in town, less likely to happen in the countryside, and almost never happened in dungeons, but they were random without any real pattern, and a thing that made the game crash once would likely never make it crash again, it was something different I did each time.

Ultimate Combat is not actually that different from Duel except that I use less stamina (I have 264 stamina and use a 1H sword so my stamina is nearly unlimited for all intense and purposes) from what I've seen, but most of the enemies I've fought in UC are trash Draugr and mages, and one dragon. Are Imperial soldiers with the heavy armor tough customers in every combat system, even vanilla? In Duel they could be quite formidable because they were much more likely to block and much better at blocking than most other enemies, so fighting multiple legionaries could be a nightmare where one continuously stonewalls you through nearly psychic use of the imperial heavy shield (you have to literally beat down his defenses if your timing is anything less than perfect) while three of his buddies come in from the sides and hack you to ribbons. Imperial troops make Stormcloaks like like complete pussies.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Jan 7, 2015

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Segmentation Fault posted:

Better Realistic Lore-Friendly Immersive Laundry Overhaul - with CBBE and HDT support

BRLFILO - Better Realistic Lore-Friendly Immersive Laundry Overhaul - with CBBE and HDT support

Parachute
May 18, 2003

fentan posted:

Super easy. Here I've done it for you, put these in textures/clothes/cloaksofskyrim.

Steps:
1. Install Nvidia DDS plugin for photoshop (or whatever equivalent free program, I think there's even a DDS plugin for Paint.net)
2. Open, use clone stamp tool to paint over skull graphic
3. Save as DXT5 interpolated alpha (because parts of the texture are meant to be transparent)

Normally you might have to edit the normal/bump map as well, but not in this case. It apparently shares a normal map with other generic cloaks that don't have that dumb low res skull thing badly pasted on.

Wow, thank you so much! I am going to mess around with it myself just to see if I can do it, but I appreciate you doing this.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Gyshall posted:

BRLFILO - Better Realistic Lore-Friendly Immersive Laundry Overhaul - with CBBE and HDT support

BRILLO- Better Realistic Immersion Lore-friendly Laundry Overhaul

BLEE-CH Better Laundry Enhanced Edition -CBBE & HDT

OCKSI-CLEAN - Overhauled Cities and Keeps Skyrim Immersion - Complete Laundry with Expanded Environmental Noises

Rotten Cookies fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jan 7, 2015

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Trick Question posted:

This, so much. Especially bad when I did a daedric quest which starts with you finding some daedric prince's ball and go into her temple to bring light. The whole place is filled with spectres (cooler looking ghosts) that go down in one regular sword slash and some "puzzles" with getting beams of light to shine. At the end you reach the evil necromancer who has a poo poo ton of health and throws around high level destruction magic that can one or two shot you unless you have a ton of frost resistance. Very balanced and fun.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

You rarely meet an enemy who takes a few good whacks to kill, they usually either go down in one hit unless you're at a low level or they're juggernauts who shrug off multiple power attacks like nothing.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Which is a shame because those enemies are the most fun to fight.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Nerd Of Prey posted:

This thread got me started on installing Skyrim mods, which eventually turned into mixing & matching and altering mods, which eventually turned into making & publishing mods, some of them stupider than others. Since everybody loves a goon-made mod I figured I'd plug a couple of them here that I sort of care about.

Immersive Laundry has been languishing in an unfinished state for a while now but remains unreasonably popular. I even got praised in a Gopher video for it! I just got this weird feeling one day as I wandered around Skyrim that something was missing from all the farmhouses, and it occurred to me that it was clotheslines. I found some ready-made laundry assets and strewed them about the countryside. I was just going to call the mod "Clotheslines" but after joking with a friend about how every goddamn mod is called immersive this and immersive that, I renamed it as a joke. Reactions to it have ranged from "I can't believe anybody would clutter up their load order with something this pointless!" to "I can never play Skyrim without this mod again!" Perhaps the truth is somewhere in the middle?

My real masterpiece is Blood and Silver: Cidhna Mine Expanded. A mod that's about half as popular as the loving laundry mod despite having taken about 20 times the effort! This was actually the first idea I had for a mod, but I had to learn a ton of new tricks before I could even attempt it. Cidhna Mine had this fearsome reputation, and there was this huge build-up to the moment when you get thrown in there, and then it's just a lovely little cave with like 5 guys in it. I took that lovely cave and turned it into the labyrinthine nightmare hellhole it was meant to be. I added 20 NPC's with dialogue and AI, a couple of pretty cool followers, some little mysteries to uncover... really pimped the place out. The process of making & testing this thing was really grueling. It took me way out of my comfort zone, and kinda burned me out on the Creation Kit for a few months, but I'm extremely proud of the end result.

I have a few others, mostly stuff I don't really give a crap about, but I feel like the Cidhna Mine mod is a real winner and you guys ought to check it out.

Nice work! I like fiddling with mods myself. Mostly I've just made up a bunch of utility spells I feel should have been in the game (light nightvision and teleporting and fast running and summon food) as well as rounding out the different disciplines to make it easier to level up (now alteration has offensive spells so its easier to level and more rounded, etc.)

I always wanted to do a full overhaul of the skill trees to make them more like classes, but I never got around to it.

Woolie Wool posted:

You rarely meet an enemy who takes a few good whacks to kill, they usually either go down in one hit unless you're at a low level or they're juggernauts who shrug off multiple power attacks like nothing.

Lets be honest, the combat in Skyrim is pretty crap and its not the reason anybody plays. Reminds me of borderlands in retrospect.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
We all bitch about skyrim combat, but let's not forget oblivion combat which was literally 'waggle your sword/mace at something till it falls over'

Now it's 'waggle a bit slower with occasional killcams'

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
I always play stealth characters (with a stealth mod) so that I can feel accomplished when I'm able to clear out a camp undetected. Either that or I transform and rampage through the whole thing.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
at least you can sprint in this engine

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Segmentation Fault posted:

Better Realistic Lore-Friendly Immersive Laundry Overhaul - with CBBE and HDT support

You forgot to put the words "Skyrim" and "HD" in there somewhere. Also, that mod needs more patches for CoT, RLO, RCRN, UNP, UNPB, UKSP, AOS, ......

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009
Wait, is there a version to hang clotheslines off Oblivion Gates?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Ynglaur posted:

You forgot to put the words "Skyrim" and "HD" in there somewhere. Also, that mod needs more patches for CoT, RLO, RCRN, UNP, UNPB, UKSP, AOS, ......

Also add "2k and 4k UHD" at the end somewhere

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

Wait, is there a version to hang clotheslines off Oblivion Gates?

My brother told me I should make an ULTIMATE LAUNDRY IMMERSION edition where all the roads and buildings are covered with thousands of clotheslines and all the places on the map are renamed things like "Sudsmore" and "Washerwoman's Basin" and "Scrubber's Redoubt."

If it wouldn't take days to do it, I totally would.

I would make the name longer/sillier for the upcoming full release version, but most people on the nexus have no sense of irony... I already had a guy saying "how dare you call this immersive," emailing me with multiple wiki links to the history of washboard manufacture to tell me painted logos didn't belong in a medieval setting. I told him it boggled my mind that he can play a game with magic and dragons and ancient tombs full of robot spiders powered by the souls of dead elves, but paint on wood shatters his immersion.

I get the most insane requests for elaborate features like an in-depth clothes dirtiness rating system where you lose stats if you don't give your whites a good scrubbin' every couple days, not to mention full integration with weird sex mods. Yeah I'll uhhhh get right on that, buddy.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug
Suspicious Stain
-10 Speech

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Dirty clothes (or even fragrant over-laundered ones) reduce your stealth because of the stench

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Crusty Crotch Stain - +10 Speech when talking to Anime Cat Girls

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

I'm playing Skryim yet again and I want to permanently move a companion into the Safe House of the Dragonborn Gallery. How do I do that?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Xavier434 posted:

I'm playing Skryim yet again and I want to permanently move a companion into the Safe House of the Dragonborn Gallery. How do I do that?
My home is your home.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Thanks. Sounds easy. Any bugs that I should be aware of before using this?

Edit: Looks like that version of My Home is your Home in that link is outdated and someone else has been regularly updating it here. It is a bit more feature rich and now requires SKSE and SkyUI which does not bother me but might bother others. I cannot speak for the stability yet but it is still being worked on as of December 2014. Although, the author says that if this latest versions works as intended then he is done for at least a while.

Xavier434 fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jan 7, 2015

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I installed a bunch of mods last night, and while the game starts out and runs fine, it gets stuck on the loading screen when exiting the caves under Helgen.

Any way to troubleshoot besides turning mods off one by one and trial and error? Here are the mods I'm using, in addition to Project ENB:

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

Nerd Of Prey posted:

My brother told me I should make an ULTIMATE LAUNDRY IMMERSION edition where all the roads and buildings are covered with thousands of clotheslines and all the places on the map are renamed things like "Sudsmore" and "Washerwoman's Basin" and "Scrubber's Redoubt."

If it wouldn't take days to do it, I totally would.

I would make the name longer/sillier for the upcoming full release version, but most people on the nexus have no sense of irony... I already had a guy saying "how dare you call this immersive," emailing me with multiple wiki links to the history of washboard manufacture to tell me painted logos didn't belong in a medieval setting. I told him it boggled my mind that he can play a game with magic and dragons and ancient tombs full of robot spiders powered by the souls of dead elves, but paint on wood shatters his immersion.

I get the most insane requests for elaborate features like an in-depth clothes dirtiness rating system where you lose stats if you don't give your whites a good scrubbin' every couple days, not to mention full integration with weird sex mods. Yeah I'll uhhhh get right on that, buddy.

I am not as immersed in the :nexus: as the rest of you, but are you sure all of those requests are genuine and it's not also you that's lacking in irony?

Also you should totally put a functioning iron in your laundry mod and name it irony.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug
I'm using Frostfall and Realistic Needs & Diseases, which really adds a lot and puts some brakes on the game so I can stop and smell the 2048x2048 roses, as well as making me having to get prepared for longer journeys, so I am actually planning my trips out of cities which is pretty cool, I might even disable fast travel and use the carriages to travel long distance. The problem I'm having, and its probably just me being an idiot, is that I can't figure out how to get a cooking pot going when setting up camp so I can't actually be self sufficient out in the wilderness because I have to find a static cooking pot to cook up my venison and boil my river water. Apparently, the campfire made with survival skills from RN&D is supposed to include a cooking pot if there is a cast iron pot in the inventory, but I can't figure out which one will work.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Chief Savage Man posted:

I'm using Frostfall and Realistic Needs & Diseases, which really adds a lot and puts some brakes on the game so I can stop and smell the 2048x2048 roses, as well as making me having to get prepared for longer journeys, so I am actually planning my trips out of cities which is pretty cool, I might even disable fast travel and use the carriages to travel long distance. The problem I'm having, and its probably just me being an idiot, is that I can't figure out how to get a cooking pot going when setting up camp so I can't actually be self sufficient out in the wilderness because I have to find a static cooking pot to cook up my venison and boil my river water. Apparently, the campfire made with survival skills from RN&D is supposed to include a cooking pot if there is a cast iron pot in the inventory, but I can't figure out which one will work.

I think there's an MCM option to toggle cooking pots in the crafting menu. Try using one of those.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

enraged_camel posted:

I installed a bunch of mods last night, and while the game starts out and runs fine, it gets stuck on the loading screen when exiting the caves under Helgen.

Any way to troubleshoot besides turning mods off one by one and trial and error? Here are the mods I'm using, in addition to Project ENB:

Your Unofficial Skyrim Path is way low, and that's just what I know off the bat. Have you tried installing/running LOOT or TSEV5edit? They make mod installs so incredibly easy.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Going to try this again but with all mods that start with SPERG and immersive. Here's to hoping I don't gently caress it all up and crash to desktop.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug

Canemacar posted:

I think there's an MCM option to toggle cooking pots in the crafting menu. Try using one of those.

Figured out my issue, I was trying to use a RN&D feature with a Frostfall-created fire. Frostfall has its own cooking pot though that can be made a forge with two steel ingots and can be placed like the Tanning Rack. It's also very particular about placing it right next to the fire for it to work.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

enraged_camel posted:

Looks like you're using MO, in the plugins tab on the right hit "Sort" for LOOT.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

enraged_camel posted:

In addition to what others said, I recommend that you go through Helgen without any mods activated or an absolute minimal number of mods. Helgen is heavily scripted and has a tendency to mess things up even with mods that are stable otherwise. Once you leave the cave, you can turn all of your mods back on.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Xavier434 posted:

In addition to what others said, I recommend that you go through Helgen without any mods activated or an absolute minimal number of mods. Helgen is heavily scripted and has a tendency to mess things up even with mods that are stable otherwise. Once you leave the cave, you can turn all of your mods back on.

Or just rock an alternate start mod, because gently caress Helgen.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

But watching my carriage flip out and havok its way off the map on 3/4 new games is such fun.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Helgen is great for watching General Tullius, having captured the rebel leader and being moments away from ending the war, hop off his horse and chasing after a wolf that walked past.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Gyshall posted:

at least you can sprint in this engine

I picked up Fallout New Vegas on the holiday steam sale and that's probably one of the main things that's kept me from getting into it. Realism be damned, the wasteland is boring and don't want to trudge through it that slowly.

Agents are GO! posted:

Yeah, for all Arthmoor's faults, Live Another Life is really good. Just starting out in Rorikstead with Erik The Slayer as your companion is super fun. The only gripe I have with it is that if you choose the start down in Blackreach you immediately get one-shotted by everything as soon as you leave your hut.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Agents are GO! posted:

Yeah gently caress creating characters the vanilla way, that poo poo takes forever. Hell just the carriage ride at the start takes FOREVER, much less the scripted dragon escape.

Play through the start normally once, then use alternate-start for all your other new characters.

Never again.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
At the very least, download a savegame that starts you right at character creation, after the carriage ride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Entropic posted:

I picked up Fallout New Vegas on the holiday steam sale and that's probably one of the main things that's kept me from getting into it. Realism be damned, the wasteland is boring and don't want to trudge through it that slowly.

Yeah, for all Arthmoor's faults, Live Another Life is really good. Just starting out in Rorikstead with Erik The Slayer as your companion is super fun. The only gripe I have with it is that if you choose the start down in Blackreach you immediately get one-shotted by everything as soon as you leave your hut.

You can get a mod for New Vegas to sprint, I can't play without it + bullet time.

• Locked thread