Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Artic Puma
Jun 22, 2007

Chef Curry with the pot, boy!
At least that was a relatively short run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Cubey posted:

NSMB strikes me as a series that would benefit greatly from multiplayer strats in speedruns.

Full on tool assisted madness for the NSMB games could be interesting

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Listen to this dumb loving rear end in a top hat crack wise, too. "She has magic powers, I dunno why she doesn't defend herself with them!"

Good job, you really took Mario down a peg or two with that one.

Bear Sleuth
Jul 17, 2011

Remember that boss co-op Battletoads run?

Mmmmmmm

Those were good times.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Did he just say hi to his wife in the audience and then hi to his girlfriend on the stream?

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Such a sad way to end such a great block.

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

:black101: Break a leg! :black101:

Ziploc posted:

Did he just say hi to his wife in the audience and then hi to his girlfriend on the stream?

No, one of the commentators said hi to his wife, then the runner said hi to his girlfriend.

The run had enough flaws without misunderstandings creating new ones.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
(it's almost time for the cutscene when princess peach descends from her cage, i hope i can grab the mic in- oh here we go now's a good time for that joke i was planning alright here i go)

"you can see here princess peach has some sort of sailor moon powers, i wonder why she doesn't use that to defend herself"

*silence*

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Pseudoscorpion posted:

NSMB as run by the Freelance Astronauts.

Pretty much, yeah. (:nws: for swearing)

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

KKKLIP ART posted:

Or Tipping 40s in their prime

Or those Nintendo guys who make the super play videos.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

g0lbez posted:

(it's almost time for the cutscene when princess peach descends from her cage, i hope i can grab the mic in- oh here we go now's a good time for that joke i was planning alright here i go)

"you can see here princess peach has some sort of sailor moon powers, i wonder why she doesn't use that to defend herself"

*silence*

Wish Big Jon had been there to tell them to stop questioning Mario logic.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

RyokoTK posted:

Listen to this dumb loving rear end in a top hat crack wise, too. "She has magic powers, I dunno why she doesn't defend herself with them!"

And you really owned some speedrunner who will never read this post. Good job.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
It's too bad Gwimpage is the runner. The other major RD runner gets drunk all the time during his streams and is pretty funny.

Edit: at the same time, I forgot just how fast you could input FE RD inputs. Jesus.

buddychrist10 fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jan 7, 2015

Ada
Apr 22, 2014

Practice proper gun's safety.
Oh wait this run is 3 hours, uh no thanks.

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008
i don't understand why i was just banned from irc chat

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

wait radiant dawn lets you straight up save mid-chapter? what a load of crock!

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
Much as I love FFT-likes, I don't see this being a fun 3 hour block of running.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I missed Morrowind can someone link it?

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
3 hours, this is gonna own.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Good lord, it's three hours long? I was gonna give this a fair chance but there's no way I can take three hours of this. Transistor was tough enough and that was 45 minutes of really cool effects.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.
The couch guy is really knowledgeable and pretty good at speaking which is cool but I am out for this run because I've never played a Fire Emblem and it doesn't look too interesting.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

RyokoTK posted:

please don't question nintendo logic

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Morrowind is in like 5 hours so just stay up

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(

Arrgytehpirate posted:

No you didnt.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

this is probably how I would play fire emblem, not because I speedrun but because SRPGs are too slow to be enjoyable for me

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

parasyte posted:

The couch guy is really knowledgeable and pretty good at speaking which is cool but I am out for this run because I've never played a Fire Emblem and it doesn't look too interesting.

Fire Emblem games are really fun to play.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

I'm actually kinda digging this Fire Emblem run so far. Low-key and quiet, and it's gonna be long so I dunno how much I'll enjoy it for how long, but they're doing a good job of explaining what the gently caress is going on.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
At least the commenter is pretty good.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

How incomprehensible is this to dudes who haven't played Fire Emblem? I'm only like half keeping up with what's happening and I'm a huge dork for these games

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

parasyte posted:

FE is a really good series of tactics games but if you don't fall in love with perma-death and min-maxing, they become a chore pretty quickly. They're also not that fun to watch YEAH I SAID IT.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

parasyte posted:

Morrowind is in like 5 hours so just stay up

im bad @ reading

my parents boyfriend
Jan 28, 2007

Angel of Piratey Death, Yarrr!
The runner seems like he's falling asleep.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

RyokoTK posted:

Good lord, it's three hours long? I was gonna give this a fair chance but there's no way I can take three hours of this. Transistor was tough enough and that was 45 minutes of really cool effects.

I think I've had enough after 5 minutes.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Brother Entropy posted:

How incomprehensible is this to dudes who haven't played Fire Emblem? I'm only like half keeping up with what's happening and I'm a huge dork for these games

They're not that hard to understand conceptually. You retain your units between missions and they level up, but if they die they're dead forever so you either deal with it or reload the mission.

There's a ton of different classes but most of them are not that different from each other in terms of watching the game (i.e. most of them just walk up to bad guys and smack them with swords).

It's about positioning your units so they don't get surrounded by enemies and die, and positioning your support units (that typically are weak at attacking or can't attack at all), but I think the nuances of successfully outmaneuvering the enemy like that are kinda lost when you're watching it rather than doing it yourself.

e: I'm stupid and misread your post.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

gwimpage looks like hes seconds away from an asthma attack. put your god drat tongue in your mouth

snodig
Oct 5, 2014
Just watch this instead: http://youtu.be/azLkQrZEJEM

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Ironsoviet posted:

The runner seems like he's falling asleep.

tbh i would be, too

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
This is one of the longest Fire Emblem games in the series, really fun to play but it has HUGE battles involving dozens of enemy units, some later maps require you to defeat a certain number of enemies for example or survive for a certain number of turns.

Its a blast to play but not to watch being speedrun. A TAS of the gba ones can be super quick because it relies on rng manipulation.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

They kinda touched on this, but with clear data from the Gamecube game Path of Radiance, any character in that game that reached the level cap and also capped some of their stats will receive a +2 bonus to whichever stats they did cap in this Wii game, Radiant Dawn. HP I think might be a +5 bonus, though. Also, one character actually does die between games, so his bonus stats from PoR are transferred to a replacement character in RD of a completely different class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Brother Entropy posted:

The only Fire Emblem I've played is Shadow Dragon, which I thought was ok but everyone told me was garbage, and I never ended up finishing it. So I only kind of half-know what's going on here but they're doing a decent job of talking it through.

If I had to complain, I'd say that they're explaining the game and WHAT they're doing without explaining WHY or what it will accomplish speed-wise.

• Locked thread