Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
I've been playing Melting exclusively since that seems to be the best way to got gud

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I really really like YV and Horror. The other characters are alright but those two are the ones I consistently do best with.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
I kind of don't know what the point of Fish is. It seems like you could just play Crystal and do better (or Plant if you like the mobility).

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Cicadalek posted:

I kind of don't know what the point of Fish is. It seems like you could just play Crystal and do better (or Plant if you like the mobility).

people with bad aim who need more ammo

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I like fish. Mobility is fun and his roll is great and no more stupid deaths from running out of bullets.

I don't have any idea what his throne butt actually does though.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

GlyphGryph posted:

I like fish. Mobility is fun and his roll is great and no more stupid deaths from running out of bullets.

I don't have any idea what his throne butt actually does though.

it lets you continue rolling as long as you hold the button. not sure if it does anything else

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Awesome! posted:

it lets you continue rolling as long as you hold the button. not sure if it does anything else

Cool bubble particle effects

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Somehow I managed to get to 7_1 with Fish of all things :psyduck:

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Which perks does everyone go for asap? I havent managed to get anywhere near the end yet. (the ice stages overwhelm me with some spawns) I usually try to go for ammo/hp regen and lower enemy hp?

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
a way to make fish's throne butt actually useful would be to make it leave trails kinda like one of millia from guilty gears supers, leaving like bubbles or something when you dodge, that hurts enemies if they run into them.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Fish apparently used to have Iframes in its roll, but it was deemed too powerful.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
To make it worthwhile just make the roll make Fish invincible/get iframes but put a short cooldown on it so it can't be spammed. 2-3 seconds I guess. I dunno what the Throne Butt would be. Make it do damage to enemies it hits?

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

FrickenMoron posted:

Which perks does everyone go for asap? I havent managed to get anywhere near the end yet. (the ice stages overwhelm me with some spawns) I usually try to go for ammo/hp regen and lower enemy hp?

Check out AndroidHub's post on page 2, but in short:

God tier: Strong Spirit, Plutonium Hunger, Back Muscle, Rhino Skin
Universally useful: Rabbit Paw, Second Stomach(swap tiers with Bloodlust on Melting), Scarier Face, Throne Butt
Situational: Bloodlust, Eagle Eyes, Extra Feet, all the weapon specific mutations except Shotgun Fingers

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"

FrickenMoron posted:

I have a writeup on mutations earlier in the thread, but I don't think lucky shot is very good as it is now, the amounts are low and the type of ammo isn't based on what weapons you are using, so unless you're planning to switch weapons a lot (or use crown of guns potentially) it's not terribly good.

So I made it to Melting's ultra mutation without taking rhino skin, then didn't get rhino skin as an option :negative:

Functionally there isn't a huge difference between having 3 health and 5 health, the big thing is being able to soak a 2-3 damage hit then having another free hit before going to 1 health with strong spirit; though there are a lot of damage sources that are in that range, rat/crystal spider/snow wolf/fish freak contact damage, orange bullets, small/medium green bullets, and IDPD bullets to mention a few. Though I'm not entirely sure that's how it would come out yet (the health loss could kick in afterwards and give you three health anyways), I'm gonna keep trying tomorrow in any case.

e:I also posted a discussion on some of the less powerful skills on the steam forums for the game (where the devs could potentially see it) come weigh in if you feel like it.

AndroidHub fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Jan 7, 2015

Xenogenesis
Nov 8, 2005

Why is it so hard to die post loop as Rebel

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Because you're the Wonderful 101

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Is there some sort of energy meter or something, or does the chicken legitimately get infinite bullettime?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Cowcaster posted:

Is there some sort of energy meter or something, or does the chicken legitimately get infinite bullettime?

Infinite slowdown. The only real downside is that you move an attack really slowly while enemies and projectiles that are further away move at regular speed until they get close.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

She does, but you should know that it is only in a small orb around her, there are also a few enemies that don't get slowed by it. It also makes shotgun and slug weapons nearly useless while slowing, along with grenade weapons having a very short range in the same way. Another small thing is that you can't actually move on webs in 4_1 while using slow motion (unless you have third leg). All that said it is still quite strong, you just have somewhat more limited weapon choices if you want to be using it a lot.

So I succeeded in my quest for knowledge:

Probably not worth doing generally due to the risk of not getting rhino skin in the three additional mutations, leaving you pretty much dead in the water with 1 hp. If you aren't missing any core mutations melting's Ultra Mutation A is also very strong in its own right (detonating enemies at 5 hp or lower). In any case it was fun to find out first-hand.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
There was a thread for this, I've put in 40 hours but I've only managed to reach the Throne twice (once with Plant and Crystal each). I actually killed the throne with plant but I ran into a stray bullet right as it died :negative:

I usually just choose Random then hit R when I get Melting, Eyes, or Rogue. I'm A Bad Player still and I usually die with Melting, Eyes' passive is completely useless, and I have trouble dealing with the extra IDPD as Rogue. I think I'm starting to favor Robot and Plant now.

Are the crowns just game mutators/make cursed chests spawn or do I get some other benefit? Also I've found a Heavy revolver and machine gun in 7_1 a couple of times, are they worth taking over whatever laser rifle or minigun I have at that point?

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

Crowns also make IDPD show up more often/in higher numbers :shepface: but some of the crowns are good some are bad, if you hit the level cap it's worth taking the crown of destiny for a free mutation, the rush crown makes all pickups worth more, crown of explosions is quite good if you want to use explosives, and my favorite is the crown of guns because it makes it much easier to get your favorite guns. I guess the crown of choice can be good now once you hit the level cap? I guess? The rest are not very helpful or interesting in my mind.

So the deal with heavy bullet weapons is that they do 7 damage for 2 ammo per shot, regular bullet weapons do 3 damage for 1 ammo per shot, the trick here is that in addition to having slightly better damage per ammo spent is that they have the same rate of fire or higher than their regular counterparts so in turn have a much higher dps. Heavy bullet weapons also return 2 ammo per proc with recycle glad if that was a concern. I'm a pretty big fan of them but they show up quite late and can be reflected by IDPD shielders, so they can be a liability as well. I like the heavy machine gun most on Y.V. for the higher fire rate and the heavy pistol on steroids because he can auto fire it (giving it a higher fire rate than the heavy machine gun has by default.)

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

is there some sort of backstory somewhere? like what the idpd is, how you know chicken is a she, etc

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Oh boy! If I leave this tube and this chest alone I'll get a chance to unlock horror and a big chest on the next level!

GOOGLIN BIG OL DILDOES! screams the end level portal, breaking all the chests and flipping cars in a 5 mile radius

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

You know chicken is a she because it's a chicken and not a rooster.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Awesome! posted:

is there some sort of backstory somewhere? like what the idpd is, how you know chicken is a she, etc

The loading tips have some backstory "The IDPD is looking for you, Chicken loves her sword" etc. Alot of it is on the wiki from devs during the livestreams and not in loading tips yet

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Manatee Cannon posted:

You know chicken is a she because it's a chicken and not a rooster.

i am owned

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I finally beat the game with Horror with a Smart Gun and Auto-shotgun :toot:

I would like to thank the mutations recommendations on page 2 of this thread.

Also now I can see why people turn off shakycam. I got to 3_2 in the loop and I was having a hard time keeping track of all the enemies with all the explosions and camera shakiness.

Lakbay fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jan 7, 2015

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
How does Horror's laser work? You get the rads back if you hit a prop or enemy with it?

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Previously, if you hit walls you would get the rads back. Now, if you hit an enemy you get your rads when you kill it, and you lose rads when hitting walls.

I turned screenshake off to try it out, it resulted in getting to the throne for the first time! I died to it though. Better luck next time I guess!

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Melting's Throne Butt is so good I actually consider not taking it if I don't have Plutonium Hunger holy moly

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Insane crazy gimmick that works surprisingly well #151525: Dual wielding grenade launchers with the mutation that causes you to not take damage from explosions.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Recycle Gland | Bolt Marrow | Hammerhead | Gamma Guts

:geno:

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Does the recycle gland work on all weapons or only bullet weapons?

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Nalesh posted:

Does the recycle gland work on all weapons or only bullet weapons?

Only bullet. And it doesn't work on pop guns/rifles unless they changed that in the last couple patches.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Count Uvula posted:

Only bullet. And it doesn't work on pop guns/rifles unless they changed that in the last couple patches.

Pop guns use bullets for ammo, but fire shells as projectiles. It's by design that Recycle Gland doesn't work on them but Shotgun Fingers does.

Also I should say that unless you're averse to bullet weapons Recycle Gland has a really solid rate of return! It's harder to notice now that you can't see your entire screen being flooded with +1 bullet, but it makes bullet weapons really ammo efficient.

Chumppell
Nov 9, 2007

Twice I have reached the throne with Steroid.

Twice I have beat the last fight before the loop.

Twice I have died immediately upon succeeding. Goddamnit.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

why did i just have a run where crystal was gold

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Each character has an alternate skin they can spawn as.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

is it just random?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
As far as I know, yeah.

• Locked thread