Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010
if you want to complain about pronunciation then you can complain they're pronouncing Geoffrey as "Joff-ree"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Geoffrey gettin some poo poo levels here. Good thing this is a game where that doesn't matter.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
I kinda feel bad for these runners because they're going so fast that it's really hard to explain what's going on and will be completely incomprehensible to anyone who hasn't played Radiant Dawn. As a result it's going to lose a bunch of viewers and be seen as a "hype killer" despite being blistering fast.

snodig
Oct 5, 2014
It's a pretty good run.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
By the way, for those of you who have played Fire Emblem games before but haven't played Radiant Dawn, that 2-E map where Haar evaporates the boss is really fun, and is probably one of the best Fe maps overall.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

dude789 posted:

By the way, for those of you who have played Fire Emblem games before but haven't played Radiant Dawn, that 2-E map where Haar evaporates the boss is really fun, and is probably one of the best Fe maps overall.

It is pretty neat to come back to this game after Awakening, since it has actual map design.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

'tit-tinia'

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

normally people wouldn't care if this was less than an hour or even an hour and a half but it being 3 really makes it a niche interest. otherwise it's okay.

isn't it the last run of the day?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i kinda do feel bad because these people are doing the best they can to actually make it interesting for what it is, but yeah, it's instantly moved to the snooze pile due to the length and lack of flashy stuff like battleblock theater had.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(

Austrian mook posted:

Technically, sure, but Silent Hill starts up right after.
This is an insanely impressive run and it's not like they're taking time from anything else though, I don't see why someone would be upset.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

Austrian mook posted:

Technically yes, though a lot of chat is apparently just hanging out waiting for the Silent Hill run that is taking place after this so it's not like everyone is leaving after this.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Zurreco posted:

Technically yes, though a lot of chat is apparently just hanging out waiting for the Silent Hill run that is taking place after this so it's not like everyone is leaving after this.

Oh right, it goes all night.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

RD has good map design and dumps loads of OP super-units on you so its actually ok in speedruns I guess.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

haha, they had so much other poo poo to explain as they come up they're only just now getting to the weapon triangle literally an hour in

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

snodig posted:

Where were you when Big John brought fun back to AGDQ?

:911:
I was here...

I was.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Brother Entropy posted:

haha, they had so much other poo poo to explain as they come up they're only just now getting to the weapon triangle literally an hour in

The weapon triangle just doesn't matter much in this run.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Splatterhouse is after Silent Hill as well, stick around for that one.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

The weapon triangle just doesn't matter much in this run.

yeah, i noticed; i just thought it was funny b/c weapon triangle is like the second thing people bring up when teaching FE after perma-death

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

Do they break Silent Hill? I'm trying to imagine what a Silent Hill speedrun looks like aside from lots of running.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
Can someone explain why this trash (fire emblem) was chosen over say, theClaude doing FFT or a number of other runs? Or at the very least not shunted to some middle of the night timeslot?

The "donation incentive" for choosing the game raised very little money, and the number of viewers crashed as soon as it started.

It's so bad even the fedora guys left.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.

Gibbo posted:

Can someone explain why this trash (fire emblem) was chosen over say, theClaude doing FFT or a number of other runs? Or at the very least not shunted to some middle of the night timeslot?

The "donation incentive" for choosing the game raised very little money, and the number of viewers crashed as soon as it started.

My random first guess would be that the Fire Emblem fandom brings in a decent amount of donations.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Gibbo posted:

Fire Emblem is good, bitch.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Austrian mook posted:

Fire Emblem is good, bitch.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Guess what, dipshit; people have different tastes than you and maybe they might enjoy different things. Grow up.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
This is a snoozer. Sucks rear end.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

goldjas posted:

My random first guess would be that the Fire Emblem fandom brings in a decent amount of donations.

Not as much as FF donations. Run is cool though

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

goldjas posted:

It didn't. The total bids in the bid war to choose which Fire Emblem was played was under 5k.

Boshy raised more than that.

Austrian mook posted:

Guess what, dipshit; people have different tastes than you and maybe they might enjoy different things. Grow up.

I'm a big tactical/strategy rpg fan. Fire Emblem is the worst possible example of those they could have chosen. RNG Stat growth? Sure why not. Huge character imbalances? Sounds great.

It's basically a JRPG on a grid.

Someone obviously knows an organizer. There is no way this deserved a primetime slot.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Gibbo posted:

There is no way this deserved a primetime slot.

it's past midnight in half of the US

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(
Since when is 10PM pacific on a tuesday primetime?

CarpetCrawler
Feb 18, 2013

Gibbo posted:

Someone obviously knows an organizer.

lol

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Gibbo posted:

Someone obviously knows an organizer. There is no way this deserved a primetime slot.

Yeah, someone must have been paid off. It couldn't just be that people disagree with you and enjoy things that you don't particularly care for. I actually think Fire emblem is a great series and that any of the nay-sayers in this thread should give it a go. There's never been a better time to dive in!

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

When it started it was midnight in the east, 9pm in the west.

Most nerds are going to stay up to 1am or later, especially if they were incentivized by something they want to watch.

Austrian mook posted:

Yeah, someone must have been paid off. It couldn't just be that people disagree with you and enjoy things that you don't particularly care for. I actually think Fire emblem is a great series and that any of the nay-sayers in this thread should give it a go. There's never been a better time to dive in!

AGDQ has a huge history of runs being admitted on the basis of who you know, much like everything else in life.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Baltazar Robotnik posted:

Since when is 10PM pacific on a tuesday primetime?

It's not but it's funny how hosed up the sleep schedule of speedrunners can be. Cosmo streamed from 2 - 9 AM everyday for a while before.

Speaking of which, is Cosmo there? He isn't running anything. You'd think he'd at least run Commander Keen or something if he's tired of Zelda.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Gibbo posted:

This isn't primetime and I also submit that you don't have any idea how the game selection process actually works for a GDQ

basically you're a moron

Gibbo posted:

AGDQ has a huge history of runs being admitted on the basis of who you know, much like everything else in life.

lmao no it doesn't what the hell are you talking about

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Gibbo posted:

It's basically a JRPG on a grid.

what!

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

It's nerd primetime.

You're all just old.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Some people just want to enjoy some laid-back, late-night FE. Pour yourself a warm glass of tea and enjoy.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Austrian mook posted:

Some people just want to enjoy some laid-back, late-night FE. Pour yourself a warm glass of Code Red and enjoy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
mods please move the thread to byob for all runs longer than an hour okay bye

• Locked thread