Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Austrian mook posted:

Some people just want to enjoy some laid-back, late-night FE. Pour yourself a warm glass of tea and enjoy.

It's not latenight yet. This could have easily been swapped with the rogue-lite block.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Gibbo posted:

It's nerd primetime.

You're all just old.

No actually, most of North America doesn't stay up until 3 AM every night watching twitch.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Gibbo posted:

It's not latenight yet. This could have easily been swapped with the rogue-lite block.

I'm looking forward to the Binding of Issac run.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Austrian mook posted:

No actually, most of North America doesn't stay up until 3 AM every night watching twitch.

No, but most twitch users and speedrunners do.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i just looked up fft speedruns and apparently WR is over 4 hours so RD is objectively the better choice here

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I can't wait to revisit this conversation when Kingdom Hearts is streamed at the exact same timeslot.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
Honestly, this game being played in this time slot isn't a big deal. Them doing a 40 minute block of Marisa Land at 8pm on a Monday was a much larger affront.

Also, this run isn't even bad, it's just kinda... eh? His planning and menu execution is ridiculous, but this probably isn't all that fun to watch for a lot of people.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Speaking of which, is Cosmo there? He isn't running anything. You'd think he'd at least run Commander Keen or something if he's tired of Zelda.

He did some commentary during the Keen block earlier, but it was pretty forgettable.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Gibbo posted:

it likely couldn't have been because timetabling a marathon is a logistical clusterfuck of clashing schedules, I'm not saying the schedule as it is is the only way it could've possibly been but this poo poo isn't thrown together with no sense.

everytime you want to say something stupid about the timetabling or how it would've been "easy to do" this or that, I want you to not because nothing about the organisational side of this event is particularly easy and you just want stuff to bend to your personal opinions anyway.

like I'm not even watching the run because fire emblem bores the poo poo out of me but man are you whiny and wrong about it

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Zurreco posted:

Honestly, this game being played in this time slot isn't a big deal. Them doing a 40 minute block of Marisa Land at 8pm on a Monday was a much larger affront.

Also, this run isn't even bad, it's just kinda... eh? His planning and menu execution is ridiculous, but this probably isn't all that fun to watch for a lot of people.

He did some commentary on a run earlier, but it was pretty forgettable.

I can see how people not familiar with Fire Emblem wouldn't really understand what's going on or why what's being done is impressive.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Zurreco posted:

He did some commentary on a run earlier, but it was pretty forgettable.

Pretty sure he's just burned the gently caress out at this point. Which has gotta suck because at his popularity level he literally makes his living off speedrunning. I'll always remember 2011/2012 when he was an absolute Zelda speedrunning freak of nature. He's a massive reason why speedrunning ballooned so massively in popularity during that two year span even though it had been a thing for years. The big name Zelda speedrunners on Twitch had their viewership counts grow exponentially.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jan 7, 2015

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

Brother Entropy posted:

i just looked up fft speedruns and apparently WR is over 4 hours so RD is objectively the better choice here

Any% is 3:58 by El_Magus, no math is a bit longer.

There is also significantly more to the FFT run than this. I would also never argue for FFT to be in a good time slot.

Strange Quark posted:

I can't wait to revisit this conversation when Kingdom Hearts is streamed at the exact same timeslot.

There are more KH fans than Fire Emblem, and the run involves more than just fast menuing.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

Austrian mook posted:

I can see how people not familiar with Fire Emblem wouldn't really understand what's going on or why what's being done is impressive.

Their commentary also isn't involving enough for how complicated everything is that's happening. They're also skipping so much story content which is one of the biggest selling points of the series. As someone who has played and enjoyed a few FE titles, every time I switch to the stream I just go "oh cool, still rolling through the missions..." and then switch to something else.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Gibbo posted:

There are more KH fans than Fire Emblem

Are there even?

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

Austrian mook posted:

Are there even?

In NA and EU, yes. I don't think most of the Japanese fandom is going to partake of an English only stream/fundraiser.

http://www.vgchartz.com/game/1129/kingdom-hearts/

North America: 3.64m 56.9%
+ Europe: 1.20m 18.7%
+ Japan: 1.49m 23.3%
+ Rest of the World: 0.07m 1.1%
= Global 6.40m

http://www.vgchartz.com/game/70704/fire-emblem-awakening/

Total Units

North America: 0.55m 38.4%
+ Europe: 0.29m 20.2%
+ Japan: 0.52m 36.2%
+ Rest of the World: 0.07m 5.2%
= Global 1.43m

http://www.vgchartz.com/game/12971/fire-emblem-radiant-dawn/
North America: 0.26m 54.3%
+ Europe: 0.03m 5.5%
+ Japan: 0.17m 34.4%
+ Rest of the World: 0.03m 5.7%
= Global 0.48m

the first KH alone tripled the sales of this FE + the best selling FE.

Gibbo fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Jan 7, 2015

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

dpbjinc posted:

mods please move the thread to byob for all runs longer than an hour okay bye

we already have a thread for it. We don't really care much for this oen either but its all good.

We're just rewatching the mario guy.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Austrian mook posted:

Are there even?

probably yeah but because it's something even vaguely akin to a JRPG people are still going to whinge themselves inside out when it comes on.

People complained about the KH run during Crystals For Life which is a speedrun marathon exclusively populated by JRPGs which is the most baffling complaint I ever did see.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Austrian mook posted:

Are there even?

FE almost was canceled as a franchise while anime disney-final fantasy is still milking money so probably

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Gibbo posted:

No, but most twitch users and speedrunners do.

So you're saying Twitch is more active at night? You do realize that the stream usually gets around 110K~ during the day and it's 74K right now because people are asleep right? I'm willing to bet a good chunk of those views are people that have also just left the stream open for the evening.

Austrian mook posted:

This; I have no clue what's going on and the visuals and audio aren't good enough to really keep me watching for three hours.

Walkin Goon
Apr 4, 2011
In case you're not up for sitting through another hour and a half of FE, apparently there's this stream of folks at AGDQ getting ready to race Yoshi's Island.

e: rip my ears, this might be worse

Walkin Goon fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Jan 7, 2015

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Zurreco posted:

Their commentary also isn't involving enough for how complicated everything is that's happening. They're also skipping so much story content which is one of the biggest selling points of the series. As someone who has played and enjoyed a few FE titles, every time I switch to the stream I just go "oh cool, still rolling through the missions..." and then switch to something else.

It's a rough run to commentate. The guy in the striped shirt was providing almost non stop solid commentary during the Dawn Brigade chapters but it seems like he's run out of stuff to talk about once Gwimpage started deploying around 4 units per map.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

i know this is the dorkiest thing in the world to say but woah that menuing is wicked fast

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Gamerofthegame posted:

FE almost was canceled as a franchise while anime disney-final fantasy is still milking money so probably

Well but Awakening was the best selling game in franchise history and I don't really know anyone who gives a poo poo about Kingdom Hearts. Not saying you're wrong, I just don't know anything about Kingdom Hearts, not my cup of tea I guess.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
Yo, dudes, guess what? There are awesome games being speedran in this stream. Some of them you might not like, others you do. Filling up the thread with "this game is so boring to WATCH" isn't going to change that and just sucks the fun out of this major charity event that others might be enjoying and degrades the thread into arguments about opinions on those video games.

So, yeah, there.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Ike is really the best main character in a video game ever.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

Sire Oblivion posted:

So you're saying Twitch is more active at night? You do realize that the stream usually gets around 110K~ during the day and it's 74K right now because people are asleep right? I'm willing to bet a good chunk of those views are people that have also just left the stream open for the evening.

At this time last night the stream was still at 90+.

Reposting this for people only reading the last 3 posts.

KH Sales
= Global 6.40m

KH2 sales ~4m

Awakening sales:
= Global 1.43m

Radiant Dawn Sales:
= Global 0.48m

Valex
Nov 28, 2009

by astral
I like this run :)

I'm a huge nerd about Fire Emblem though

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(
no but it doesnt DESERVE to be here this is a conspiracy. who did gwimpage pay off for this???

E: hoooooooly poo poo vgchartz. logic abounds.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Gibbo posted:

A bunch of VG Chartz links

:rolleyes:

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Gibbo posted:

In NA and EU, yes. I don't think most of the Japanese fandom is going to partake of an English only stream/fundraiser.

http://www.vgchartz.com/game/1129/kingdom-hearts/

North America: 3.64m 56.9%
+ Europe: 1.20m 18.7%
+ Japan: 1.49m 23.3%
+ Rest of the World: 0.07m 1.1%
= Global 6.40m

http://www.vgchartz.com/game/70704/fire-emblem-awakening/

Total Units

North America: 0.55m 38.4%
+ Europe: 0.29m 20.2%
+ Japan: 0.52m 36.2%
+ Rest of the World: 0.07m 5.2%
= Global 1.43m

http://www.vgchartz.com/game/12971/fire-emblem-radiant-dawn/
North America: 0.26m 54.3%
+ Europe: 0.03m 5.5%
+ Japan: 0.17m 34.4%
+ Rest of the World: 0.03m 5.7%
= Global 0.48m

the first KH alone tripled the sales of this FE + the best selling FE.

lol vgchartz

Chafe
Dec 17, 2009
This is why VG Chartz is still around. Because you use some site that literally makes up numbers just to make a stupid point.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I mean, last night at this time was a bunch of indie games, but if more people were watching, they must have sold better than Fire Emblem.

That's why the NSMB run was such a successful draw.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

see I totally believe those numbers as well but still lol vgchartz

your point is still dumb

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Austrian mook posted:

Well but Awakening was the best selling game in franchise history and I don't really know anyone who gives a poo poo about Kingdom Hearts. Not saying you're wrong, I just don't know anything about Kingdom Hearts, not my cup of tea I guess.

Kingdom Hearts is a huge loving thing, it's caters towards Disney and Square fans so it selling like crazy is to be expected, I don't think Fire Emblem's sales are even remotely comparable. Not saying Gibbo has a point, because he should really just shut up, but KH is really, really god drat big.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
But like, how many people still care about Kingdom Hearts was what I was asking, not how much KH2 sold back in the day.

McBearson
Apr 29, 2013

Did Gwimpage kill Gibbo's dad or something

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Sire Oblivion posted:

Kingdom Hearts is a huge loving thing, it's caters towards Disney and Square fans so it selling like crazy is to be expected, I don't think Fire Emblem's sales are even remotely comparable. Not saying Gibbo has a point, because he should really just shut up, but KH is really, really god drat big.

Huh, weird. I haven't looked at any numbers or anything I just don't know anyone who gives a gently caress about KH and I know lots of people who played Awakening.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Kingdom Hearts is just plain baller.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

Austrian mook posted:

But like, how many people still care about Kingdom Hearts was what I was asking, not how much KH2 sold back in the day.

Considering they just re-issued KH2 in HD and the expensive collectors box sold out in pre-order, a fuckload.

Austrian mook posted:

Huh, weird. I haven't looked at any numbers or anything I just don't know anyone who gives a gently caress about KH and I know lots of people who played Awakening.

Because your friends who like the same games as you are obviously a great representation of the greater market.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Austrian mook posted:

A lot of people, man. I care! KH is cool.

His point is correct but it's still dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(

Austrian mook posted:

Awakening was legit one of the best games of 2013, KH hasn't had a good game since like 2010, so it's not really a talking point right now.
But 12,000 twitch viewers may have been lost (??) so outrage.

• Locked thread