Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
i got to use an oculus at a media producer's office when i went to check in on some stuff. they had a thing where you were on one of those big swingy fair rides and could jump out and splat on the ground. it was p. neet how even the slapped-together demo created a feeling of motion in the head

welp thats my ocuriftsotry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
the UE rollercoaster demo is a favourite for that. one of my friends nearly fell over in his chair because of the movement

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

eschaton posted:

in the areas where they're concentrated, they kind of do

i am indeed familiar with the american landscape once you get 15+ miles from the coast

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

infernal machines posted:

that doesn't even make sense. like, in any way

maybe he means that people will rent out their oculus headsets to other people? or maybe that somebody should come along and disrupt vr?

(he's talking about the money)

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

if you were going to pay to play with vr goggles you could get an occulus off craigslist for ~$100 from some disillusioned nerd
lol at the suggested existence of non-disillusioned nerds

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

qirex posted:

I was feeling bad about still renting until I realized that p much everyone I know [even dual incomes] who owns a place had parental help

Bay area tho right?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Progressive JPEG posted:

Bay area tho right?

Everyone around my age I know that owns a freestanding house had parental help too.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Citizen Tayne posted:

Everyone around my age I know that owns a freestanding house had parental help too.

same

i know a girl whose parents bought her and her two siblings 3 attached houses for college and then bought her a "starter home" once she started workin as a teacher

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

same

i know a girl whose parents bought her and her two siblings 3 attached houses for college and then bought her a "starter home" once she started workin as a teacher

Citizen Tayne posted:

tbf this is still better than the boomers hoarding their wealth like smaug.

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

Citizen Tayne posted:

I don't know why people assume it's cool to talk that way in front of me because I never say anything to indicate that I may lean that way, but it's so prevalent that you just start ignoring it because you can't change the world.

my grad thesis showed that subconscious exposure to the confederate flag made people slightly more racist bc it was essentially a big sign that "this dude is probably hella racist so i can loosen my filter around him"

Apr 7, 2003

tbf this is still better than the boomers hoarding their wealth like smaug.

It's a side effect of boomers hoarding their wealth, and treating their homes like money fountains.

Apr 7, 2003

24-7 Urkel Cosplay posted:

my grad thesis showed that subconscious exposure to the confederate flag made people slightly more racist bc it was essentially a big sign that "this dude is probably hella racist so i can loosen my filter around him"

I don't have a confederate flag though, I'm just really white.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
confederate flags make no sense since we already have a flag as a nation and to have a different flag regionally (or cling onto one) seems to insinuate a belief that they are their own nation that still represents the ideals from before when they were incorporated into non-slave-having-asses

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

FMguru posted:

lol at the suggested existence of non-disillusioned nerds

it's me! lol

e: wait, no it's not, i misread.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

non-disillusioned nerds are the ones in the hackerspaces.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

pennsylvania is full of confederate flags, by the way. it's become some kind of "redneck pride" thing for idiots.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Sniep posted:

confederate flags make no sense since we already have a flag as a nation and to have a different flag regionally (or cling onto one) seems to insinuate a belief that they are their own nation that still represents the ideals from before when they were incorporated into non-slave-having-asses

it's fun to call the people who crow about southern pride "traitors"

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Citizen Tayne posted:

actually yeah now that i think about it even the people i know with houses in super-mega-inexpensive kc had a lot of help

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Citizen Tayne posted:

It's a side effect of boomers hoarding their wealth, and treating their homes like money fountains.

it's putting the money back into the economy in one way or another, so it's good with me

As a Millennial I posted:

non-disillusioned nerds are the ones in the hackerspaces.

and pretty much all of the startup scene that isn't the moneymen VCs

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

i see people driving around with confederate flags in walnut creek

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

As a Millennial I posted:

pennsylvania is full of confederate flags, by the way. it's become some kind of "redneck pride" thing for idiots.

no it really is just for racism

like, everyone stopped caring about the flag until the dixiecrats used it as their banner to fight integration and ole miss had their hosed up dixie week thing

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

24-7 Urkel Cosplay posted:

no it really is just for racism

like, everyone stopped caring about the flag until the dixiecrats used it as their banner to fight integration and ole miss had their hosed up dixie week thing

i think the point is more that it's not regionally limited (except in the urban-rural divide sense)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

there are people in rural ontario that use it ffs.

it makes no sense in any context but "white pride", and sure enough the people flying it are illiterate racist shitstains

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

also used by racists in scandinavia

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
hey is confederate flag toilet paper a thing?

it could be made out of cotton

DONT THREAD ON ME fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Jan 7, 2015

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
:psypop:

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Sniep posted:

people fukken love regionalism and the us as a whole is too big for them to feel that much of a personal connection to or for there to be 100% cultural commonality. the us is basically about as big as all of Europe combined

the confederate flag has become kind of the universal symbol of redneckism on the american continent, though, even in areas that aren't culturally "southern". it's the emblem of people who tell racist jokes and drive beat-up pickup trucks with more guns than tools in the back

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Next step, instead of using a confederate flag, just use an ISIS flag.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

confederate flag is also used by separatists in ukraine

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

it's fun to call the people who crow about southern pride "traitors"
"losers" also works

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

FMguru posted:

"losers" also works

they lost the first part of the civil war, but they won the second part (reconstruction) :smith:

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
i work in the south

theres a lot of people at my company who come from michigan due to the closing of a competitor ~ 10 years ago, it's a niche field we're in. we had another one get hired recently and one of the shop dudes said to him 'whats with all you yankees coming down here'

supposedly he said 'well, we won the civil war, so we're just coming to claim what's ours'

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
fly the union jack with pride. heritage not hate.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
the union jack isn't tied to any heritage worth being proud about

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

slogsdon posted:

it's an appealing design. it's a shame there are terrible people who have had good or lucky design working for them

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

slogsdon posted:

it's the only symbol they have that can represent any unique heritage at all, so they repurpose it for any and all regional heritage

kind of like how texas makes a big deal out of their war from mexico and their decade or so as an independent state, despite the fact that the state was literally founded for basically the sole purpose of making slavery legal. all those details about the original texas are forgotten, now people just use it to mean "oorah texas is great and special" without even knowing the history behind it, let alone caring about it

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Main Paineframe posted:

it's the only symbol they have that can represent any unique heritage at all, so they repurpose it for any and all regional heritage

kind of like how texas makes a big deal out of their war from mexico and their decade or so as an independent state, despite the fact that the state was literally founded for basically the sole purpose of making slavery legal. all those details about the original texas are forgotten, now people just use it to mean "oorah texas is great and special" without even knowing the history behind it, let alone caring about it

the slogan "don't mess with texas" was created for a campaign against littering

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Fanged Lawn Wormy posted:

i work in the south

theres a lot of people at my company who come from michigan due to the closing of a competitor ~ 10 years ago, it's a niche field we're in. we had another one get hired recently and one of the shop dudes said to him 'whats with all you yankees coming down here'

supposedly he said 'well, we won the civil war, so we're just coming to claim what's ours'

michiganders are unironically more racist than most southerners

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Fanged Lawn Wormy posted:

i work in the south

this is pretty funny but is also a super dumb thing to say

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

kalstrams posted:

confederate flag is also used by separatists in ukraine

also the russian naval jack

• Locked thread