Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Strange Quark posted:

I mean, last night at this time was a bunch of indie games, but if more people were watching, they must have sold better than Fire Emblem.

That's why the NSMB run was such a successful draw.

Boshy was the viewer record for this marathon, right? Truly, the superior game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
But boshy is a better game.

Hell boshy is a better RPG than FE, even. While having few RPG elements.

And some indie games have sold better than FE. :spergin:

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

Austrian mook posted:

Huh, weird. I haven't looked at any numbers or anything I just don't know anyone who gives a gently caress about KH and I know lots of people who played Awakening.

KH is geared towards younger crowds while FE is generally favored by the older crowd. They're both good series for what they are but it still boggles my mind how popular either of them are.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Baltazar Robotnik posted:

Awakening was legit one of the best games of 2013, KH hasn't had a good game since like 2010, so it's not really a talking point right now.
But 12,000 twitch viewers may have been lost (??) so outrage.

I don't know, I didn't really care that much for Awakening. :shrug:

The level design felt extremely weak, most of the levels were just a big horde of enemies where you team up Chrom and your avatar and win. There weren't many side objectives either and I don't really like the re-class system here on in any of the other games.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Even if people don't buy new Kingdom Hearts games the original came out more than a decade ago and that's plenty of time to build up some nostalgia.

Lemonpieman
Jan 18, 2010

Dias posted:

Boshy was the viewer record for this marathon, right? Truly, the superior game.

Yep.

http://irc.alligatr.co.uk/agdq15/

Other fun facts: Super Marisa Land caused everybody to leave really quickly, haha.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
RIP stream, FE is the worst game literally killed the stream

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Gibbo posted:

But boshy is a better game.

Hell boshy is a better RPG than FE, even. While having few RPG elements.

And some indie games have sold better than FE. :spergin:

are you drunk or something?

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Oh, I thought it was just me.

Also I have no idea why do you give shitposters attention and quote their posts and call out the naysayers. Just keep high-fiving and patting the backs of everyone who is super hyped for the event and just starve the haters for attention.

Whitefire
Oct 9, 2007

DEE DEEEEE
It was so nice of them to give us 3 hours to catch up on some of the runs we missed while sleeping at some point. I just caught up on Boshy and I wasn't disappointed.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Austrian mook posted:

are you drunk or something?

Sober.

It was called sarcasm/a joke. Because FE is badgame.

And there are indie games that have sold more than .5m

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Its a niche game for sure, really fun to play though.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Lemonpieman posted:

Other fun facts: Super Marisa Land caused everybody to leave really quickly, haha.

Well, not defending Touhous, but that huge drop was mostly because of technical difficulties. I'm sure a lot of people decided to go to bed after seeing the game, tho.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Gibbo posted:

Sober.

Somebody buy this guy an av of Ike with his shirt off

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Gibbo posted:

Sober.

Are those any% jokes, because that one was glitched beyond all recognition.

Tucked In The Cut
Nov 15, 2006

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'd rather brush my teeth
with a rusty razor
than front and bullshit
with all you fakers

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dias posted:

Are those any% jokes, because that one was glitched beyond all recognition.

cringe%

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

Austrian mook posted:

Somebody buy this guy an av of Ike with his shirt off

Do it, I need a new one. Put a nice big red text on it that says "I love dicks and bitching about games I disagree with"

I think that's enough sperg for me for now.

And if any of you want to watch an better SRPG run one evening, check out theClaude's FFT runs. Game has better music, and claude does a good job of explaining and entertaining during. ElMagus has a faster time currently, but he's pretty quiet while he plays.

Comrade Question
Mar 30, 2011

"I'd say it's nothing personal, but corporations are people, too."

Gibbo posted:

Someone obviously knows an organizer. There is no way this deserved a primetime slot.

Cause Cancer Foundation strikes again.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Austrian mook posted:

Huh, weird. I haven't looked at any numbers or anything I just don't know anyone who gives a gently caress about KH and I know lots of people who played Awakening.

Kingdom Hearts is popular enough that with only two main games (both of which of had "Final Mix" editions), it has 4 minor titles (some of which have been remade), three mobile games and swaths of merchandise. There was also a HD re-releases of 6 of the games recently.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Kikas posted:

Also I have no idea why do you give shitposters attention and quote their posts and call out the naysayers. Just keep high-fiving and patting the backs of everyone who is super hyped for the event and just starve the haters for attention.

lol

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Kikas posted:

I'm with this guy

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Austrian mook posted:

You are a very lucky man that you don't know anyone who gives a poo poo about KH. I unfortunately know way too many people who love this series.

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!

Kikas posted:

Don't uh... don't post the word "haters." Don't do that.

I agree that people should be More Positive About Video Games though but that being said JRPG runs are basically exclusively boring.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
do not budge. the scary men react to movement. keep looking straight ahead and they will leave you alone. everything is ok. nothing is bad. everything is good. breathe in. breathe out.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
A positive mental outlook is the most important thing to have.

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011
The main reason I'm not watching is that I /am/ planning to play this game someday. Then I looked at it.

I started watching anyway. It's not like I understand poo poo of what is going on in the game. This guy is stupidly fast.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Cosmic Afro posted:

The main reason I'm not watching is that I /am/ planning to play this game someday. Then I looked at it.

I started watching anyway. It's not like I understand poo poo of what is going on in the game. This guy is stupidly fast.

It's like 90$ online now

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Most RPG and Strategy games are loving boring to watch for a speedrun, even though this is going pretty fast its still just not that interesting imo and I love fire emblem.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

I laughed way too loving hard at your avatar.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(
Holy poo poo 1,100 dollar donation for PoR that came in too late.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.
Part of it is that they're playing on Easy, so it's just a matter of getting mission critical units to the exit and slaughtering everyone with high-mobility killers. Positioning and AI manipulation is vital on the harder difficulties when going for LTC and much more interesting. Is it really prohibitively RNG-dependent to do a Normal or Hard run under marathon conditions?

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
I know you heard about me
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
I'm just tryin to live on
Not in a penitentiary
I'd rather be rollin chrome
As someone who likes these games I find that this run is quite fascinating but not particularly interesting

if that makes sense

also gotta love blowing a $1000 snipe

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(

Francis posted:

Part of it is that they're playing on Easy, so it's just a matter of getting mission critical units to the exit and slaughtering everyone with high-mobility killers. Positioning and AI manipulation is vital on the harder difficulties when going for LTC and much more interesting. Is it really prohibitively RNG-dependent to do a Normal or Hard run under marathon conditions?

Even if it isn't, having this run go for even longer than it is would really be pushing it, and I'm actually having a lot of fun with it.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Jesus does everyone casually run Yoshi's Island because it seems like everyone knows how to run it on Sagan's stream.

Chafe
Dec 17, 2009

Francis posted:

This is 100% possible in the GBA games. If you look at the Fire Emblem 7 speedrun from the bonus stream last year, Molotov manipulates the RNG by moving the cursor around in a specific way.

The coolest Fire Emblem speedrun that takes advantage of this fact is the Fire Emblem 6 Hard Mode 0% Growths run. Its being released slowly, with commentary, by DD151 on Youtube.

In the DS games, you have to suspend, resume, and gently caress around with the console time.

No idea how the RNG works in Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn but I think its similarly unreliable.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Sire Oblivion posted:

Jesus does everyone casually run Yoshi's Island because it seems like everyone knows how to run it on Sagan's stream.

Yoshi's Island loving owns.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Francis posted:

Normal would probably be perfectly doable in a marathon but it's quite a bit slower (~15 minutes at least, hard to tell since there are really only 2 RD speedrunners and neither of them have done a Normal run in years) and it's not really all that different. There are just more enemies and less bonus experience so it's harder to hit the benchmarks for boss kills you need. There are a few maps with different objectives (a few Part 1 and 2 kill boss maps on Easy turn into Arrive or Rout on Normal and Hard) but I don't think it would be any more interesting to watch. Hard is definitely not doable in a marathon; it's pretty dependent on getting decent growths and there aren't even Battle Saves for safety.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Austrian mook posted:

Yoshi's Island loving owns.

I know but most of the people running it I've never seen run it before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
just want to say that I have been enjoying much of AGDQ so far. what really drew me into it to begin with was that awesome uncharted run. the first couple of games they showed were a bit meh but I kept at; in fact I was planning to stop watching it after the tomb raider run, but luckily I didn't. the TAS bit was fun and interesting but that was it for me for night number one, I didn't really catch any of monday's stream because I was busy throuout the day but it seems I missed some good bits. The speed rund of Donkey KOng Country 2 was fun to watch but not as good as the Super Metroid run the previous year. Just want to say that I enjoyed the mario runs especially the first. Probably my favorite segmen t thus far. glad to see feasel giving commentary during Zelda II though I think it could have been better? the glitch run utterly failed and that was funny. Not really paying much attention to the radiant dawn run since it's long and I have never played it so instead I am watching people review halloween havoc 95 and critiquing it. I'll get back into AGDQ though

• Locked thread