Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Wadjamaloo posted:

What about the opposite, keeping a sweet card on top and electing not to manifest it.

Then you're keeping a sweet card on top that you feel you'd rather draw than a 5 mana 4/4 with no ability. It still seems that any card with manifest that doesn't produce a potentially absurd amount of them (at least one per turn) or give you more control over what gets manifested (something of your choice from hand or grave) won't be good enough to play in constructed. There are already a lot of good cards in standard, to the point that a 4 mana 4/2 with haste that basically lets you cast inspiration for no cards -and then do even more- might not see play since there's just too much good stuff already, people can't think of what to take out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I think there's still only 9 Mythics spoiled? The last one is Nicol Bolas, right :downs:

BrokenKnees
Aug 28, 2008

Ow.

This is really nice if you're worried about accidentally manifesting non-creatures.

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003

Gensuki posted:

Misunderstanding probability

An unknown card is just as good as any other unknown card in your deck. Your logic here is the same as thinking it's worth milling someone to try to "get rid of their good cards".

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

BrokenKnees posted:

This is really nice if you're worried about accidentally manifesting non-creatures.

This can also bounce another one of your creatures to save it from a removal spell, so this cat protects itself and your other creatures. Between the useful ability and having 4 power it's a high pick in limited, although I don't expect to see it ever in constructed.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

qbert posted:

Exactly, I'm playing her just to announce that name during casting.

Exact reason I played so much Tymaret, the Murder King.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

newtestleper posted:

An unknown card is just as good as any other unknown card in your deck. Your logic here is the same as thinking it's worth milling someone to try to "get rid of their good cards".

Man I just cut a big dumb rant on outcomes and probabilities explaining my reasoning and that no you were wrong but, anyway... the gist of it was,

Do you know what I quoted? What the person I quoted, quoted? It was about if you scry for something. Your logic is that I was talking about milling someone at any given point, but it is closer to saying I cast thoughtscour in response to them scrying and keeping two. I knew they wanted what they kept, so I can infer it was good. So, that but in reverse. Keeping what you know is good and manifesting the thing you don't know instead of manifesting the thing you know is good, and drawing the thing you don't know what it is.

Although, this is all starting to feel like arguing over the merits of fetchlands as deck thinners...

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Not quite as useful as Disdainful Stroke.

Did they ever print a "Counter target spell with CMC 3 or less"?

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

qbert posted:

Did they ever print a "Counter target spell with CMC 3 or less"?
Liquify, Prohibit, and Thoughtbind are what they've done in that direction.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Allstone posted:

Liquify, Prohibit, and Thoughtbind are what they've done in that direction.

Prohibit seems the only playable one out of those, but I wonder why Wizards seemingly never printed a straight 1U: CMC <= 3 counterspell. Would it really be too powerful?

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
Decks are generally going to want to play more cmc<4 cards than cmc>3 cards, so the effect is a bit stronger.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

qbert posted:

Prohibit seems the only playable one out of those, but I wonder why Wizards seemingly never printed a straight 1U: CMC <= 3 counterspell. Would it really be too powerful?

they've been moving away from 2 mana counters that can counter early early drops since they stopped printing mana leak.

Also yes, that card would be quite good. I think it's printable, but it would be quite good.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx

BrokenKnees posted:

This guy feels pretty sweet. More than two toughness, check. Doesn't tap to activate, so you get to turn all of your dudes into Knuckleblades. Bounce your queen, bounce a token targeted by bile blight, bounce all your dudes for wrath protection, bounce your mana dork(s) pre-Anger, etcetc.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

AceClown posted:

Well hello new tiny leader....
I'm literally 3/4 done with my deck and now want to start over with her instead....

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Chamale posted:

This can also bounce another one of your creatures to save it from a removal spell, so this cat protects itself and your other creatures. Between the useful ability and having 4 power it's a high pick in limited, although I don't expect to see it ever in constructed.

I think it might stand a shot at being played in standard thanks to having a safety on the ability, unlike a lot of similar effects. It's not that undercosted, and it has the ability to produce a ton of value for you if you play it on 6 mana / get to untap with it.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
When I saw people listing off targets for Alesha, I didn't see Nyx Weaver listed. And that seems p good and in june colours. Swing with Alesha, bring back nix weaver tapped and attacking, if they block the weaver, sack it to return a whip (or whatever card you don't have at the moment)

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007
That thing is very, very good in limited and I would pick it over a great deal of rares.

It can still get overrun by tempo, but the remainder of the time it's 4cmc for something that protects all your creatures from removal, protects itself from removal and is an invulnerable 4 power attacker/blocker. All of this in a body that's not even behind the curve and for relatively little mana. Plus you get to abuse ETB effects.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

tirinal posted:

That thing is very, very good in limited and I would pick it over a great deal of rares.

It can still get overrun by tempo, but the remainder of the time it's 4cmc for something that protects all your creatures from removal, protects itself from removal and is an invulnerable 4 power attacker/blocker. All of this in a body that's not even behind the curve and for relatively little mana. Plus you get to abuse ETB effects.

Someone mentioned this before, but it also lets you put non-creature manifests back into your hand so you can replay them face-up.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

BrokenKnees posted:

Tragically not in Warshrieker colors.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

So what does Neutralizing Blast hit that Disdainful Stroke doesn't? The only place I see it maybe being useful is a sideboard card against Abzan decks to counter Lion and Deathdealer early game. Otherwise everything in standard is pretty monocolored or 4CMC+. What a weird card to be printing now.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

mr. mephistopheles posted:

The only place I see it maybe being useful is a sideboard card against Abzan decks to counter Lion and Deathdealer early game. Otherwise everything in standard is pretty monocolored or 4CMC+. What a weird card to be printing now.
Charms and ascendancy, mantis rider?

Countermagic is innately reactive so it is difficult to key what selective countermagic can target in an unknown metagame.

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom
Way back tangent incoming

Count Bleck posted:

He's pretty evil for being Hades, God of Pretty Chill Guy In Actual Mythology.

No modern form of media has actually portrayed him as a pretty fair and nice guy.

Books have? The one that immediately comes to mind is Dresden Files but I'm sure there's others.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Spiderdrake posted:

Charms and ascendancy, mantis rider?

Countermagic is innately reactive so it is difficult to key what selective countermagic can target in an unknown metagame.

Fair point.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Vital Signs posted:

I'm literally 3/4 done with my deck and now want to start over with her instead....

I've got a Mardu standard deck I'm getting a bit bored with so I can take that apart and have a not to shabby base to run her as a leader with

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Count Bleck posted:

He's pretty evil for being Hades, God of Pretty Chill Guy In Actual Mythology.

No modern form of media has actually portrayed him as a pretty fair and nice guy.

No, this is actually just wrong, and I'm just gonna quote Sleep of Bronze from his posts on a recent God of War LP thread on this:

Sleep of Bronze posted:

And the obligatory reminder every time non-Classicists discuss the 'modern' phenomenon of portraying Haides badly, that it comes from the oldest and most respected Greek writings on the gods.

Homer, Iliad 9.158-159 posted:

...Ἀΐδης τοι ἀμείλιχος ἠδ᾽ ἀδάμαστος,
τοὔνεκα καί τε βροτοῖσι θεῶν ἔχθιστος ἁπάντων

...Haides, you well know, is savage and wild
and, because of that, mortals hate him most of all the gods.

Hesiod, Theogony 455-456 posted:

ἴφθιμόν τ᾽ Ἀίδην, ὃς ὑπὸ χθονὶ δώματα ναίει
νηλεὲς ἦτορ ἔχων ...

And mighty Haides, who lives in his palace under the earth
and whose heart has no pity ...

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

That cat looks like a possible sideboard against control. It's pretty hard to remove and it makes the rest of your guys hard to remove.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

I'm not sure what the kitty would replace, and its body probably isn't relevant enough, but I'm really enjoying the idea of recasting my wingmate roc or siege rhino every turn.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

For some reason I'm pleased to see Nahiri referenced like this on a main set card. Doubt it will see constructed play but you might be able to make it work in limited with lots of morph/manifest or low permanents.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Now we know where the hedrons on that one rare came from!

Also, somewhat icy relationship between Ugin and Sorin confirmed. Perhaps markov manor teatime is not the best.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Wonder if the flavor text is foreshadowing that Nahiri is super dead.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

BizarroAzrael posted:

For some reason I'm pleased to see Nahiri referenced like this on a main set card. Doubt it will see constructed play but you might be able to make it work in limited with lots of morph/manifest or low permanents.

If you could bounce manifestations with it, that would be broken.

As far as Nahiri goes, I'm looking forward to the next Eldrazi block when we find out part of the sealing process included sealing Nahiri away as well as a catalyst of some sort. And one of the sets in the block revolves around her revival a la Avacyn. :black101:

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Boxman posted:

recasting my siege rhino every turn.
Please god no.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

BrokenKnees posted:

There is gonna be silly in draft... I love cards like this.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Yawgmoth posted:

Please god no.

Pfft. People are already smashing Abzan and Sultai together in 4 color monstrosities. You don't think people will just smash Abzan splash Mardu for Crackling Doom, Flamerush Rider, and Alesha for infinite Siege Rhino cloning and recursion?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

AlternateNu posted:

Pfft. People are already smashing Abzan and Sultai together in 4 color monstrosities. You don't think people will just smash Abzan splash Mardu for Crackling Doom, Flamerush Rider, and Alesha for infinite Siege Rhino cloning and recursion?

Abzan Red sounds like a cool deckname I could get behind.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

How can Alesha recur the rhino again?

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

AlternateNu posted:

If you could bounce manifestations with it, that would be broken.
Is there a reason you can't bounce manifested cards with it?

Ramos posted:

Magic!!!

Or maybe a case of goons forgetting the text of a really cool card.

Veyrall fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jan 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

Ramos posted:

Recasting through the Sabertooth, not Alesha. The awesome thing about the Sabertooth is that it may be Temur, but it doesn't fit strictly to those colors, so it'll most likely be an Abzan convert. :getin:

• Locked thread