Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

priznat posted:

Same, sounds like we have similar plans - the 50Mbps? Internet speed is fantastic but I do worry about hitting the 400 gig cap. Especially in a month with a Steam sale!

Between Netflix and the occasional iTunes rental/purchase I don't really need cable apart from sports and news - and with Rogers loving up the hockey broadcasts and TSN loving up formula 1 I don't really even need it for sports anymore.

I plugged in my HD OTA antenna to see what I get and no problem getting all the HD stuff in the lower mainland. Looks better than Telus TV too.

The whole Telus cap bullshit is the major reason I left them and went to teksavvy unlimited in the first place. I rarely would come anywhere near a cap it but between streaming and downloading games for the PS3/Steam it's not crazy to go over limits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I feel like I've made a terrible mistake but I've just signed up for Bell Fibe 25/25 deal with a 300gb cap for $55 (the other deal was 50/50 with 150gb cap for $50, unlimited bandwidth would cost +$30 a month), which is actually somewhat reasonable all things considered. I'm moving into a brand new condo and apparently Teksavvy literally has no lines they can sell to it because Bell didn't give them any so they can sell Fibe to all the yuppies moving into it. I have an irrational dislike of cable stemming from the old "I can never reach my advertised bandwidth because all my neighbors are leaving Kazaa on at all times" and also 30/5 costs the same as the Fibe deal for 300GB cap.

Technically Rogers fibre is also an option but my experience with Rogers support is even worse than Bell so there's that. Moving sucks, I wish Novus existed out east but oh well. When I inevitably get dinged somehow by Bell I'll make sure everyone knows.

Eej fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jan 5, 2015

slush
Jun 23, 2006
Thank you for calling....

Eej posted:

I feel like I've made a terrible mistake but I've just signed up for Bell Fibe 25/25 deal with a 300gb cap for $55 (the other deal was 50/50 with 150gb cap for $50, unlimited bandwidth would cost +$30 a month), which is actually somewhat reasonable all things considered. I'm moving into a brand new condo and apparently Teksavvy literally has no lines they can sell to it because Bell didn't give them any so they can sell Fibe to all the yuppies moving into it. I have an irrational dislike of cable stemming from the old "I can never reach my advertised bandwidth because all my neighbors are leaving Kazaa on at all times" and also 30/5 costs the same as the Fibe deal for 300GB cap.

Technically Rogers fibre is also an option but my experience with Rogers support is even worse than Bell so there's that. Moving sucks, I wish Novus existed out east but oh well. When I inevitably get dinged somehow by Bell I'll make sure everyone knows.

If you are in Toronto then check to see if you can get Beanfield or Coextro. If you do, or it's coming, make sure you don't sign a contract.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I just checked and they're not available. The condo I'm moving into was finished in December and the only lines I could find going into it are Bell Fibe and Rogers (+ Teksavvy cable somehow). I'm assuming they signed a sweet deal for exclusivity since it's a 74 storey tower.

Eej fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Jan 5, 2015

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

So what's with the rumors of Netflix blocking VPNs? CBC story says the official Netflix statement says you shouldn't and it violates terms of service, but it seems unclear if that means they're going to actually do anything about it.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/netflix-upholds-geoblocking-rules-amid-reports-of-crackdown-1.2889895

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I'd say no matter what they are going to have to start to do something. Everyone's aunt and uncle knows how to block google dns/buy unlimited vpn/use a browser extension to flip to any country they want. Its impossible to have a discussion about netflix on a Canadian site without the discussion being choked with it. The point was made elsewhere that hollywood is the one creating the market for the media VPN industry, and pushing customers towards handing over a snowballing amount of money each month to an unrelated 3rd party, to protect increasingly senseless geographic distribution deals.

I read a while ago that Netflix only wants to negotiate global deals from here on out, this is probably some scaremongering and drum banging for either side of that negotiation table. Geo-IP cannot last forever now that there are a large number of people trained and happy to pay extra to defeat it.

Its just another round of Hollywood repeating the same segment of history that was spent claiming that the VCR will be the death of them. They are so dead set against taking anything but the specific money they want to get at the exact time and from the exact place.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
To be honest I switched my DNS back over for Canadian Netflix a couple weeks ago to watch something on there and haven't bothered to switch it back. It's vastly improved from what it was like, with a lot of good stuff that isn't on the USA one even.

It's nice having the option, of course.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I hear Chile is the hottest netflix right now. Maybe netflix content follows a seasonal migratory pattern.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

slidebite posted:

So what's with the rumors of Netflix blocking VPNs? CBC story says the official Netflix statement says you shouldn't and it violates terms of service, but it seems unclear if that means they're going to actually do anything about it.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/netflix-upholds-geoblocking-rules-amid-reports-of-crackdown-1.2889895

Yeah, I'm glad I quit before it renewed today. I guess I'll just go back to traditional Canadian methods of acquiring US content.

gently caress Rogers' content exclusivity deals.
Rogers delenda est

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

priznat posted:

To be honest I switched my DNS back over for Canadian Netflix a couple weeks ago to watch something on there and haven't bothered to switch it back. It's vastly improved from what it was like, with a lot of good stuff that isn't on the USA one even.

It's nice having the option, of course.

I did the same a while back, but I've recently started using US Netflix again. They pulled all of Star Trek from Canadian Netflix... except TNG and the lovely TNG movies.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Kazinsal posted:

I did the same a while back, but I've recently started using US Netflix again. They pulled all of Star Trek from Canadian Netflix... except TNG and the lovely TNG movies.

My understanding (from random industry types Tweeting) is that they did this because Bell outbid them for the Canadian online rights and it'll be on CraveTV instead.

Competition, etc.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Dallan Invictus posted:

My understanding (from random industry types Tweeting) is that they did this because Bell outbid them for the Canadian online rights and it'll be on CraveTV instead.

Competition, etc.

Thank you, Bell. I definitely wanted to change my TV and internet services to a completely new provider AND pay for another video-on-demand service just so I could have the pleasure of watching Deep Space Nine on my computer when I get a Star Trek urge.

Fucksakes.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
This is just another cable bundled channel package with different nomenclature. poo poo still sucks in Canada Western Civilization because people don't think paying premium prices for a-la-carte channels or shows you actually use is worth the cost.

iTunes kind of does this except it blows.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Except you have to be on Bell to use it, which requires me to not have Shaw cable and not live in Vancouver.

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

Zigmidge posted:

This is just another cable bundled channel package with different nomenclature.

Pretty much, Crave needs you to have Bell services, shomi needs Rogers.

I would literally need to move to even use shomi since I'm not in a Rogers service area :haw:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Content providers still don't understand the internet, news at 11.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

37th Chamber posted:

Pretty much, Crave needs you to have Bell services, shomi needs Rogers.

I would literally need to move to even use shomi since I'm not in a Rogers service area :haw:

Apparently Telus Optik or Eastlink cable subscribers can also use Crave, and Shaw cable subscribers can use shomi, (and theoretically more providers to come on both sides but, well, yeah) but it's still mostly an issue of:

infernal machines posted:

And/or "content producers think more money is better than less money, so they'll sell exclusive rights because they can charge more and they'll geographically parcel rights to the same program so they can sell them multiple times to different sets of competitors each time."

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jan 6, 2015

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I look forward to a future of content network exclusivity in news reporting. Crave will have the train and boat disasters, Shomi will have passenger air crashes and aborted takeoffs. Telus' fake netflix will have air cargo and cable car mishaps while Videotron has exclusive rights to broadcast all stories involving car on slow moving farm equipment traffic mishaps.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Nah, at this point it's fairly evident that it's normies that don't understand the internet. Content providers are giving most people what they think they want.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Shaw did what everyone found out even after they said they wouldn't.

https://www.reddit.com/r/canada/comments/2ri6ma/as_promised_shaw_lowered_their_speeds_by_60_for/

As visible on their website, you'll notice all price tiers are now 60% slower.
For example 25Mb/s used to be $60, now that only gets your 15Mb/s.
100Mb/s used to be $90, now that only gets you 60Mb/s (also with no option for any faster internet)
This is a follow up to this post.
I'm disappointed with the direction Canadian internet is taking lately, but not surprised all our feedback fell on deaf ears.
I never checked the prices of Telus before this change, so I'm not sure but I'm fairly certain you used to be able to get 25 for $60 a month, it's now $68.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Vintersorg posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/canada/comments/2ri6ma/as_promised_shaw_lowered_their_speeds_by_60_for/

100Mb/s used to be $90, now that only gets you 60Mb/s (also with no option for any faster internet)
I'm disappointed with the direction Canadian internet is taking lately, but not surprised all our feedback fell on deaf ears.
I never checked the prices of Telus before this change, so I'm not sure but I'm fairly certain you used to be able to get 25 for $60 a month, it's now $68.

Of course they did that, they couldn't afford to keep charging that for bandwidth (unless the spent a tiny amount of money expanding their service)

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Vintersorg posted:

I'm on the 50/3 right now and it went up to 85 minus the 5 dollar discount I have for running the SamKnows device they gave me. MTS is 81 for 50/5 so its about even still. Everyone fucks you equally.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

This kind of bullshit should be illegal.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

What I honestly find totally ridiculous is how little caps have changed - on some cases they've gotten tighter. Considering we're downloading more then ever and downloads are bigger and often mandatory (most ps4s and xbones come with download codes rather then physical media)

I thought products and services were supposed to improve with technology and time, not get worse.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
No competition, no evolution.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Oxyclean posted:

I thought products and services were supposed to improve with technology and time, not get worse.
I kind of wish I worked in a cable co's "scare and threaten customers from canceling their cable tv service but keeping their highspeed internet" department. Some real bright minds must be working there.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Oxyclean posted:

What I honestly find totally ridiculous is how little caps have changed - on some cases they've gotten tighter. Considering we're downloading more then ever and downloads are bigger and often mandatory (most ps4s and xbones come with download codes rather then physical media)

Of course, and the more people are downloading, the more infrastructure should grow. Except that costs money, and cutting people's caps and speeds doesn't.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Vintersorg posted:

This is just the reality of over selling their service. Now that peoples' usage is scaling up the insufficiencies of the networks is showing itself. When they sold you unlimited they could only do that when the average usage was 0.001 mbps. Now that the average usage is 0.01 mbps they have to scale everything back. I have bad news for you if you think this is the end because you will be paying another $30 more in five years when the average usage is 0.1mbps.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Eej posted:

I just checked and they're not available. The condo I'm moving into was finished in December and the only lines I could find going into it are Bell Fibe and Rogers (+ Teksavvy cable somehow). I'm assuming they signed a sweet deal for exclusivity since it's a 74 storey tower.

There is some bullshit where bell doesn't have to allow resellers access to new fiber installations (FTTH/premsis). So Rogers has cables running there, they can sell you service, and teksavvy can resell you service. I'd probably opt for the teksavvy over bell, but that's me.

I've generally had favorable results with cable over DSL as a broad statement. I've had issues with ISP's but the issues could have been the same with the alternative provider in the area.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Oxyclean posted:

Cmon son this thread is now four years old and the title still stands and will forever until the government takes over the last mile

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Oxyclean posted:

How's your mobile phone contract been working out for you.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I'm not even mad when Youtube is slow, we're using a local ISP with unlimited bandwidth so I accept that it isn't very fast. What annoys me is the little blue pop up underneath- "Are you having interruptions? Want to know why?" I already know why, Youtube, It's because I'm in Canada. I don't need your smug rear end to tell me that.

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.

YggiDee posted:

I'm not even mad when Youtube is slow, we're using a local ISP with unlimited bandwidth so I accept that it isn't very fast. What annoys me is the little blue pop up underneath- "Are you having interruptions? Want to know why?" I already know why, Youtube, It's because I'm in Canada. I don't need your smug rear end to tell me that.

Are you running YouTube Center? You could play around with DASH playback and custom buffering to see if that helps at all.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

less than three posted:

How's your mobile phone contract been working out for you.

I'm with wind, so the price is nice!

... But the coverage is lacking. :negative:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Update on the Netflix VPN blocking story
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/netflix-geoblocking-in-canada-a-game-of-whack-a-mole-1.2890915

quote:

Netflix spokesman Edwards said the company has "done nothing new recently to block VPNs," despite reports the streaming service was cracking down on online tools that trick the system.

Much longer story at the link but not much real meat other than that.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

How do you even stop vpn traffic without loving around with people's actual roaming?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Zigmidge posted:

How do you even stop vpn traffic without loving around with people's actual roaming?

Block the netblocks registered to known VPN providers?

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

37th Chamber posted:

I believe Teksavvy is actually losing money with the $5 dry-loop fee, the band charges range from $6 all the way up to $20.

Start includes the price of it within the service, which is why on paper the actual service is more per-month than other TPIAs.

$4.25 - $22.10, Although DSL realistically tops out at rate band C, so you're talking $4.25 - $7.22

(source: pg 11 of the tariff: http://www.bce.ca/aboutbce/regulatory/tariffs/bellcanada/details/tariff/GT/___5______/_5410_____ )

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Eej posted:

Your "Fibe" isn't DSL (note the 25 upload), so there's no TPIA access to it. (Cable on the other hand does have TPIA).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
Great move on Bell's part to use the same branding for both ADSL/VDSL and FTTH. No matter where you live and how lovely their offerings in that area are, they can use the sheen of fiber almost being in the name to make it sound good.