Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

SeXReX posted:

Possibility of Precipitation is cool and all

but if you're not watching for Tetris Grand Masters later then.... I just don't know

TGM got moved to prime time which is good for me because I have a meeting in half an hour

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Sickos
May 22, 2011

I'm digging this, but the resolution is definitely unfortunate.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I never really realized how empty the levels in RoR were. :v:

Also fun fact: Tor's (from Iji, the final boss) helmet is on top of the ship in the last level.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Game is very different when you're just playing casually because you can have fun

speedrunning.txt

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

SeXReX posted:

Possibility of Precipitation is cool and all

but if you're not watching for Tetris Grand Masters later then.... I just don't know

Wasn't that supposed to air sooner? Now it was moved to 2:35am (for me), it was much earlier I think.

EDIT: Just saw dragon enthusiast's post. gently caress it, staying up for that.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

dragon enthusiast posted:

TGM got moved to prime time which is good for me because I have a meeting in half an hour

Wait what time is it at now? Still says a few hours from now on the schedule.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

Anatharon posted:

I never really realized how empty the levels in RoR were. :v:

Yeah they only really fill up when you take a while to get to the teleporter or kill the boss. Which is what happens to me because I am bad at the game

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

dragon enthusiast posted:

sucks for me because thats when I'll be asleep

:(

calling in to work tonight I guess

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

This is a case where making the significantly slower choice would have been infinitely better for the people watching the stream. What a terrible, terrible decision, and I hope Studio reads these complaints and realizes how poo poo this is to watch.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

Wait what time is it at now? Still says a few hours from now on the schedule.

Schedule is right but originally it was going to happen in an hour.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Danger of Drizzle

"When we play RoR in another GDQ"

uh huh.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
e whoops

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.
Violent loving Storm up next!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

OK so obviously I should make sure to catch Tetris later, is there anything else coming up that I should make sure to catch?

Lloyd Van Buren
Feb 19, 2010

FESTIVE PEOPLE!
Well that was drat near unwatchable, which is a shame because the SGDQ run was good fun

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

This is a case where making the significantly slower choice would have been infinitely better for the people watching the stream. What a terrible, terrible decision, and I hope Studio reads these complaints and realizes how poo poo this is to watch.

I wish the devs took out the hugescreen mode and just made it so you could see the exit from a compass position rendering its useless transfered to a different thing (or made hugescreen mode coop only? idunno) 'cause I hate to say it but yeah :smith:

trendwhore
Apr 22, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

(and can't post for 6 years!)

A shame that the resolution for Risk of Rain speedrun was way too tiny for me to see anything happening onscreen when I had the stream on fullscreen.

I still enjoy Studio and his commentary though.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I was confused watching this since last time I plated RoR, chests only gave you a pick of 3? random items. Most of my runs ended on level 2 or 3 because you got bullshit items and the portal bosses were brutal. Need to go back and re-play now, it looks much more fun.

Fullscreen mode feels like cheating when you can take out the exploration.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
Also Risk of Rain has amazing music, good to play over this setup.

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

I did this and could have stopped it, but nothing in nature ever follows a gaussian curve. Sure, they'll tell you that it does. They say that every five minutes someone dies in a car accident, but how often are there seven hundred and sixty one armless and legless corpses in one hangar?
Posting the, to my knowledge, up to date "must watch" list.

Jedi Knight Dark Forces 2 by Ysalamiri
I Wanna Be The Boshy by witwix
Battleblock Theater by PJ and Mecha Richter
Kaizo Mario by dram55
Super Mario 2 JPN by BIG MOTHERFUCKIN JON
Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze by Micheal Goldfish
Gimmick! by Cyghfer and CrescentEXE
Uncharted by ovendonkey
Power Blade by InfestedRiche
TASBot by it's a loving robot I dunno poo poo
Zelda 2 by Pro_JN
Donkey Kong Country 2 by Reflected, Claude, Krauser, and Darkwing Duck

Bolded are ones that I have seen myself, rest are just word of mouth.

Sdoots fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jan 7, 2015

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Really looking forward to this arcade block. These are some seriously fun games. Battletoads Arcade is something very few people have seen, too, and it is fantastic.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Boogalo posted:

I was confused watching this since last time I plated RoR, chests only gave you a pick of 3? random items. Most of my runs ended on level 2 or 3 because you got bullshit items and the portal bosses were brutal. Need to go back and re-play now, it looks much more fun.

Fullscreen mode feels like cheating when you can take out the exploration.

There's an artifact or something that lets you turn an option on to select what items you want instead of it being random.

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

IcePhoenix posted:

OK so obviously I should make sure to catch Tetris later, is there anything else coming up that I should make sure to catch?

Lord Chumley posted:

Violent loving Storm up next!

Also the rest of the Arcade block, AvP is a must.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Sdoots posted:

Jedi Knight Dark Forces 2 (Holy poo poo that's not the same thing as Jedi Outcast guys)
I Wanna Be The Boshy
Battleblock Theater
Kaizo Mario
Super Mario 2 JPN
Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze
Gimmick
Uncharted
Power Blade
TASBot
Zelda 2 (Regular run, not the glitch run that was mercy killed. Though that might be fun to watch for other reasons.)

What game was Big Jon running? People loved that one. I'm just listing titles I've seen referenced as must watches for others convinence, the ones I have bolded are the ones that I have personally seen and can vouch for myself.

Big Jon ran Mario 2.

Mario 3 is really worth watching too. It's the same old Mario 3 run we've seen but it's always impressive, plus the dude manually attempts a TASBot glitch at the end. You're also missing a few really good races that happened.

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

I did this and could have stopped it, but nothing in nature ever follows a gaussian curve. Sure, they'll tell you that it does. They say that every five minutes someone dies in a car accident, but how often are there seven hundred and sixty one armless and legless corpses in one hangar?

weekly font posted:

Big Jon ran Mario 2.

Mario 3 is really worth watching too. It's the same old Mario 3 run we've seen but it's always impressive, plus the dude manually attempts a TASBot glitch at the end. You're also missing a few really good races that happened.

Updating it as soon as I reply to this. Thanks.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Just watch all three of the Arcade Block. Violent Storm is peak 90s it's so beautiful.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

weekly font posted:

Big Jon ran Mario 2.

Manually attempts and succeeds at

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
What are the general "must avoid" runs? Only ones I can think of are the anime Mario knockoff and the ultra lame Rayman Legends 'run'.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Sdoots posted:

Jedi Knight Dark Forces 2 (Holy poo poo that's not the same thing as Jedi Outcast guys)
I Wanna Be The Boshy
Battleblock Theater
Kaizo Mario
Super Mario 2 JPN
Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze
Gimmick
Uncharted
Power Blade
TASBot
Zelda 2 (Regular run, not the glitch run that was mercy killed. Though that might be fun to watch for other reasons.)

What game was Big Jon running? People loved that one. I'm just listing titles I've seen referenced as must watches for others convinence, the ones I have bolded are the ones that I have personally seen and can vouch for myself.

Battletoads co-op and 4-way Diddy's Kong Quest were both pretty good too.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Hah, he's donating $20 for his first credit and $10 for any additional credits he'd use.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

flatluigi posted:

Hah, he's donating $20 for his first credit and $10 for any additional credits he'd use.

Sounds like everyone in the arcade block is doing that. Really good rule.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Yeah but I don't really care since it probably won't be in another GDQ. Water under the bridge. I'm not sure what it looked like on steam.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Studio posted:

Yeah but I don't really care since it probably won't be in another GDQ. Water under the bridge. I'm not sure what it looked like on steam.

It was basically incomprehensible.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Aw :smith:

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Studio posted:

You couldn't see anything, sadly.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Studio posted:

You actually made sure of this.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Rirse posted:

What are the general "must avoid" runs? Only ones I can think of are the anime Mario knockoff and the ultra lame Rayman Legends 'run'.

that risk of rain run that just happened was pretty comically unwatchable due to literally being unwatchable, screen size was so compressed and small that nothing was actually visible.

i liked the cut of studio's jib anyway while he was running and it kept it lively but wow do I just feel sorry for that because that might be the second run of these events (after code veronica at sgdq) where you just couldn't loving make out what was going on and not in the good way

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Rirse posted:

What are the general "must avoid" runs?

Most of the racing games. Diddy Kong Racing in particular.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
He put him in the infinite!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Boris's infinite tickle world.

Studio posted:

I'm glad it was good for you, I guess.

• Locked thread