Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Justus posted:

So, there's going to be an interview with ZUN on an English language program tomorrow?

http://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/english/tv/imagine/

Oh my, is that footage of ZUN drawing Seija? I need that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cuc
Nov 25, 2013

Space Flower posted:

Oh my, is that footage of ZUN drawing Seija? I need that.

I need that too, but we don't get the channel here. Like a lot of people, I can only hope for someone else's recording.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
They'll also archive it on that website, like all the other culture features they do.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Is Sanae really a god or like a demi-god or something?
It seems weird whenever she tells people that because everyone would probably just shrug and say "yeah, and so are the Aki sisters."

tupac holocron
Apr 23, 2008
The son of Maryam is about to descend amongst you as a correct ruler, he will break the cross and kill the pig!
in gensokyo, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "yes"!

Zenephant
Dec 31, 2009

I saw that NHK broadcast live. Just describing what the games are about, etc.

They said that there was going to be an official English localization for an 'upcoming, major game' of the series, for digital download.

They also referred to Seija and Raiko as men multiple times though, so take it with a pinch of salt.

The final part of the segment involved a presented playing ISC (In Japanese) with a ps4 controller.

Zenephant fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jan 6, 2015

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Well he said he might be looking into Steam.
I hope it gets modding support.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

amuayse posted:

I think she's basically training to be Suwako 2.0 (or Kanako, whichever) and is basically using her status as human demigod as a way of flaunting "look at how rich my parents are :smuggo:".

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

amuayse posted:

It seems weird whenever she tells people that because everyone would probably just shrug and say "yeah, and so are the Aki sisters."

Sanae is an arahitogami, or, "living god." This makes her a god without taking away her status as a mortal human being. This puts her above normal humans but leaves her close to the bottom of the divine pecking order.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
In this cosmology "god" is kind of like a job description. Sanae is a god who is also a human. (And, if I recall correctly, Kanako is a god and some sort of spirit so that if she runs out of faith she could carry on as a youkai or something, whereas Suwako is a god and nothing else.)

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

amuayse posted:

Well he said he might be looking into Steam.
I hope it gets modding support.

More importantly, I hope it gets steam trading cards.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Rand Brittain posted:

In this cosmology "god" is kind of like a job description. Sanae is a god who is also a human. (And, if I recall correctly, Kanako is a god and some sort of spirit so that if she runs out of faith she could carry on as a youkai or something, whereas Suwako is a god and nothing else.)

Miko is also a god because Prince Shoutoku was deified after death. It's just not that difficult to be a god. Kogasa and the other tsukumogami are also types of of gods, sort of. The word "kami" is often translated as god, but its usage is closer to "spirit". The Shinto animist tradition holds that there are gods in pretty much every blade of grass and rock and everything. The formal name for these is "The Myriad" and most of them are basically nameless and very boring. However, if you either piss them off or worship them they can become powerful. Both Suwako and Kogasa started out as one of The Myriad, but grew in different ways. If Suwako lost all her faith she'd get demoted back to a nameless blade of grass or whatever.

Drizvolta
Oct 31, 2011

the wildest rear end posted:

More importantly, I hope it gets steam trading cards.

Just imagine what people would pay for them :allears:

Widdiful
Oct 10, 2012

They called Reimu a shaman four times in that NHK video.

Ryza
Mar 15, 2012

Disco Thunder

Widdiful posted:

A shaman known as a danmaku.

Here it is on youtube for anyone who hasn't seen it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVBdhADeAAE

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Widdiful posted:

I think ZUN considers shaman to be the appropriate translation for miko. That's what she was called in the first chapter of FS, which also called Marisa a "magician" in English. It's not exactly incorrect, it's just not what most English-speakers are used to.

The video sounds painful to watch though, so I won't.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Well they ain't wrong

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Wait, ZUN said that apparently there's a lot of shrine maidens in games today but he made the main character a shrine maiden when he started the series because he wanted it to be unique.

But the only shrine maidens outside of Touhou that I know of are Sailor Mars, the girl from Inuyasha, and Nakoruru from Samurai Shodown (is she even a shrine maiden?). Sailor Moon and SamSho both predate Touhou and Inuyasha apparently came out the same year as Touhou 1. Is it just a lack of knowledge of Japanese games on my part or is it an impression that ZUN has that doesn't really reflect actual pop culture?

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
They have shrine maidens out the wazoo over here (just put 巫女 in Google image search) but they haven't really been a thing in anything resembling mainstream games/anime lately, so unless you're paying attention to absolutely every new release, they're easy to miss.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Clarste posted:

I think ZUN considers shaman to be the appropriate translation for miko. That's what she was called in the first chapter of FS, which also called Marisa a "magician" in English. It's not exactly incorrect, it's just not what most English-speakers are used to.
It's pretty reasonable to think of one as a subset of the other; "shaman" is her profession, but "shrine maiden" is her job title.

That said, the script they had for that part of the program was very clearly not vetted by a native English speaker (or seemingly a native Japanese speaker, for that matter) so I wouldn't read too much into it. They actually only used the word "shaman" as part of "female shaman" as a fixed phrase, which seems to just be a very literal and very direct translation that came from someone not knowing what the idiomatic English term for a shrine maiden is.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

Clarste posted:

The video sounds painful to watch though, so I won't.

Can't some people just learn that some words can't be translated and shouldn't be? Whatever happened to the whole "Miko*" with an explanation for people who don't know?

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

AdorableStar posted:

Can't some people just learn that some words can't be translated and shouldn't be? Whatever happened to the whole "Miko*" with an explanation for people who don't know?

Using untranslated words with liner notes is pointless and needlessly complicated when there's a perfectly serviceable English phrase for something. Like shrine maiden.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Hokuto posted:

Using untranslated words with liner notes is pointless and needlessly complicated when there's a perfectly serviceable English phrase for something. Like shrine maiden.

No, it's clearly shaman. I've seriously considered going through the wiki and changing all references of "shrine maiden" to "shaman", and only about 2/3 to spite people. I think using "miko" at this point though is absolutely wrong and should never be done, mostly because there's actually a character named Miko so leaving it untranslated is needlessly confusing. I have no particular problem with forcing people to learn words like tengu and oni.

leather fedora posted:

They have shrine maidens out the wazoo over here (just put 巫女 in Google image search) but they haven't really been a thing in anything resembling mainstream games/anime lately, so unless you're paying attention to absolutely every new release, they're easy to miss.

Shrine maidens are a popular character archetype, but I would say moreso in anime than games. Or in the sorts of games that feature a variety of fetish archetypes, like maid and catgirl and shrine maiden. The most popular and recent one that comes to mind is Disgaea, which has an entire Shrine Maiden class (although it's also a Samurai so maybe you missed it; look for the red and white color scheme). Which, incidentally, also has a Catgirl class and is adding a Maid class in the latest one.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Clarste posted:

No, it's clearly shaman. I've seriously considered going through the wiki and changing all references of "shrine maiden" to "shaman", and only about 2/3 to spite people. I think using "miko" at this point though is absolutely wrong and should never be done, mostly because there's actually a character named Miko so leaving it untranslated is needlessly confusing. I have no particular problem with forcing people to learn words like tengu and oni.

In the case of shrine maiden, that term evokes exactly what is intended by the word miko, which makes it pretty serviceable in my view. Conversely, using goblin for tengu or ogre for oni could arguably be more confusing than just using the words tengu and oni. I guess it's a subjective area.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Clarste posted:

No, it's clearly shaman. I've seriously considered going through the wiki and changing all references of "shrine maiden" to "shaman", and only about 2/3 to spite people.
Where do you stand re: Marisa and "witch"?

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

FractalSandwich posted:

I doubt anyone in the English community refers to her as a 魔法使い

Clarste posted:

Nice dick move; it's note even needlessly confusing unless some people don't know that proper nouns are capitalised. Even then, what kind of person is going to get confused as to the occupation of a few particular characters as opposed to the name of someone else. I still don't see your problem with the word Miko and not other random nouns for characters. Besides, miko convays way more information to me in an instant than a vague noun like Shaman. I still don't know exactly what the gently caress a shaman is and it probably varies from place to place, but I definitly know what the hell a miko or shrine maiden is.

AdorableStar fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Jan 7, 2015

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Hokuto posted:

In the case of shrine maiden, that term evokes exactly what is intended by the word miko, which makes it pretty serviceable in my view. Conversely, using goblin for tengu or ogre for oni could arguably be more confusing than just using the words tengu and oni. I guess it's a subjective area.

Well, it doesn't really tell you what they do, other than hang out at shrines. Which, I guess is probably true most of the time, and describes Reimu pretty well, but historically speaking they're supposed to get drunk and channel gods. The main point here though is that "shrine maiden" has become such a common term in anime, etc, that translating it any differently is again needlessly confusing. I guess I would call that a stock translation. If we'd been consistently calling tengu "crow goblins" for decades, then that'd just be what they were called.

FractalSandwich posted:

Personally I really like the term "witch", and obviously her broom and hat are meant to evoke that, but PMiSS makes it clear that there are male ones as well, and trying to determine whether or not the masculine version of "witch" should be warlock or wizard or male-witch just seems like more trouble than it's worth. And, well, obviously there's another better word for witch (majo) that ZUN could have used if he felt like it. I guess in general I don't like using gendered words when Japanese isn't using them, although I suppose sometimes it's unavoidable. However, it bugs me a lot whenever people call Kanako et al "goddesses". I mean, they're not being called "megami", which as I understand it is a word made up to translate foreign usages of the word "goddess", and not native to Shinto usage.

I guess I'm not perfectly happy with "magician" either because that's also what we call people who go up on stage and perform illusions, but that's a pretty mild ambiguity that only gets confusing if we're talking about Sakuya's tricks in the same sentence. I'm sure we could call them wizards or sorcerers without any problem, but there's no reason to change it at this point. "Hermit" is a bigger problem, imo, since it doesn't really imply "immortal Taoist wizard" at all. But it's on the cover of the manga so blah blah.

AdorableStar posted:

Nice dick move; it's note even needlessly confusing unless some people don't know that proper nouns are capitalised. Even then, what kind of person is going to get confused as to the occupation of a few particular characters as opposed to the name of someone else. I still don't see your problem with the word Miko and not other random nouns for characters. Besides, miko convays way more information to me in an instant than a vague noun like Shaman. I still don't know exactly what the gently caress a shaman is and it probably varies from place to place, but I definitly know what the hell a miko or shrine maiden is.

I'll note that A) I did not actually make this change and B) it was mostly to spite people (who kept wanting to call Miko an administrator because of her theme song). I'm content just sticking with shrine maiden, this discussion has mostly been tongue in cheek.

Miko sometimes appears in the title of doujinshi, songs, etc, so not translating it in that context would force it to be capitalized. I'd rather have consistency than randomly switch between Japanese and English. Also not uncommon for manga to use an all caps font.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Jan 7, 2015

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

Ultima66 posted:

Wait, ZUN said that apparently there's a lot of shrine maidens in games today but he made the main character a shrine maiden when he started the series because he wanted it to be unique.

But the only shrine maidens outside of Touhou that I know of are Sailor Mars, the girl from Inuyasha, and Nakoruru from Samurai Shodown (is she even a shrine maiden?). Sailor Moon and SamSho both predate Touhou and Inuyasha apparently came out the same year as Touhou 1. Is it just a lack of knowledge of Japanese games on my part or is it an impression that ZUN has that doesn't really reflect actual pop culture?

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
So that Remilia Ys clone that came out recently is for sale on Playism now.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Isn't Maya from the Ace Atttorney games a Miko?

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

amuayse posted:

Isn't Maya from the Ace Atttorney games a Miko?

I thought she was a psychic. As far as I've played, she hasn't channeled any gods, she just waves some trinkets and talks with the dead.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
Yeah, Maya's just a spirit medium, although some shrine maidens do show up in the final case of AA3.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Clarste posted:

However, it bugs me a lot whenever people call Kanako et al "goddesses". I mean, they're not being called "megami", which as I understand it is a word made up to translate foreign usages of the word "goddess", and not native to Shinto usage.

I actually realized that like a couple chapters into FMW2. :v:

One of these days I should really go back and spruce up the earlier chapter translations.

lick it or ticket
Apr 12, 2013

When you want to laugh cry as hard as you can, when you want to cry laugh all you can. When you see rain, just think of it as the world laughing with you, and laugh until you can't anymore.

Clarste posted:

Personally I really like the term "witch", and obviously her broom and hat are meant to evoke that, but PMiSS makes it clear that there are male ones as well, and trying to determine whether or not the masculine version of "witch" should be warlock or wizard or male-witch just seems like more trouble than it's worth. And, well, obviously there's another better word for witch (majo) that ZUN could have used if he felt like it. I guess in general I don't like using gendered words when Japanese isn't using them, although I suppose sometimes it's unavoidable. However, it bugs me a lot whenever people call Kanako et al "goddesses". I mean, they're not being called "megami", which as I understand it is a word made up to translate foreign usages of the word "goddess", and not native to Shinto usage.

I guess I'm not perfectly happy with "magician" either because that's also what we call people who go up on stage and perform illusions, but that's a pretty mild ambiguity that only gets confusing if we're talking about Sakuya's tricks in the same sentence. I'm sure we could call them wizards or sorcerers without any problem, but there's no reason to change it at this point. "Hermit" is a bigger problem, imo, since it doesn't really imply "immortal Taoist wizard" at all. But it's on the cover of the manga so blah blah.

She's a blond, cocky western magician who lies and cheats both man and demon.

In English we call that a Hellblazer. :colbert:

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Most games I played when I was 8 are easier now. This one still kicks my rear end.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

AdorableStar posted:

don't be a try-hard please

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I hope the next game comes with footnotes

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
I was excited when that NHK special said that ZUN was looking to localize "the next major game", but then I realized that they also said Reimu was a "shaman called a danmaku" so I basically have to ignore the entire thing.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

WeeabooJudas posted:

She's a blond, cocky western magician who lies and cheats both man and demon.

Insert relevant Monty Python & The Holy Grail quote here :witch:

As for shaman Reimu, maybe it's a joke that she's so bad at her job that casual observers would miss that she's supposed to be a miko :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
It's a running joke in the fan and official media that the average human in Gensokyo thinks that Reimu is dead or a yokai herself.