Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

MassRafTer posted:

I am embarrassed to post this not because I was a big enough Sting fan when I was 14 that I made this for an art class but because it is really bad and I got so much better later on and took AP art classes. Unfortunately I never painted Sting in oils or even acrylic.

It is my Christmas present to all of you.

Oh my.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Someone asked Jim Cornette on his podcast today how close Flair was to jumping when he was on the outs with Bischoff. He said at one point Flair was driving in circles around the Greensboro Coliseum on the phone with him and his lawyer negotiating (for legal reasons Vince couldn't talk to him or it was tampering) him debuting on a PPV that night (Unforgiven: IYH) with Reid. He said Ric's lawyer talked him out of it. :negative:

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jan 7, 2015

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
ROVPACK IN THE HOOUUUUSE!
:vince:
he still knows...

Luigi Thirty posted:

Someone asked Jim Cornette on his podcast today how close Flair was to jumping when he was on the outs with Bischoff. He said at one point Flair was driving in circles around the Greensboro Coliseum on the phone with him and his lawyer negotiating (for legal reasons Vince couldn't talk to him or it was tampering) him debuting on a PPV that night with Reid. He said Ric's lawyer talked him out of it. :negative:

When was this (1998?) and what does the bolded statement mean?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Abrasive Obelisk posted:

It means that Flair was outside the building the night of Unforgiven 98 about to debut. At the time Flair was wrapped up in litigation with WCW thanks to Bischoff being a petty moron.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Abrasive Obelisk posted:

He was in his car, with Reid Flair, a few hours before Unforgiven on the phone with Corny and his lawyer negotiating his jump.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Austin was in a stop-gap program with Dude Love at the time. It's easy to see Flair running in in the main event to set up the rematch and then a program with Flair, which considering how hot they were then would have done gang busters.

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
ROVPACK IN THE HOOUUUUSE!
:vince:
he still knows...

MassRafTer posted:

It means that Flair was outside the building the night of Unforgiven 98 about to debut. At the time Flair was wrapped up in litigation with WCW thanks to Bischoff being a petty moron.

Luigi Thirty posted:

He was in his car, with Reid Flair, a few hours before Unforgiven on the phone with Corny and his lawyer negotiating his jump.

Thanks! I didn't know none of that.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Last week was a great Nitro and there's some cool matches tonight too!

Chris Benoit challenges Booker T for the TV title!
US Champion DDP challenges Sting for the World title!
Macho Man vs Roddy Piper
RENEGADE VS GOLDBERG
Hogan and Nash vs Giant
Chris Jericho vs Lenny Lane
Eddy Guerrero vs Kaz Hayashi

AND SO MUCH MORE!

Tune in at 7:30 for NECW and 8 PM for Nitro!

http://www.psp-tv.com/r/BadMoviesWorseWrestling

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
Good god could you imagine the pop if flair walked in there in 1998. All he would have had to do was stand at the ramp to close out the show after the match and people would have been screaming for an hour straight. I hope he chopped his lawyer and fired him like a year later when it was clear what was going to happen to both companies.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The American Dream posted:

Good god could you imagine the pop if flair walked in there in 1998. All he would have had to do was stand at the ramp to close out the show after the match and people would have been screaming for an hour straight. I hope he chopped his lawyer and fired him like a year later when it was clear what was going to happen to both companies.

He was still a decent worker at that point too.

Imagine how it would have changed the Monday Night Wars - WCW might have panicked and went into meltdown mode a few years earlier. Goldberg probably would have got World Title sooner than August.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Well if Ric was tied up in litigation with Bischoff it may not have been possible at that point. He wasn't even supposed to be talking with them, he had to use Cornette to skirt tampering.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Luigi Thirty posted:

Well if Ric was tied up in litigation with Bischoff it may not have been possible at that point. He wasn't even supposed to be talking with them, he had to use Cornette to skirt tampering.

It's funny how lax both sides were with contract tampering. There were lawsuits flying every which way and despite some really obvious cases of tampering (like Flair talking to Cornette or some other similar arrangements) it never really amounted to anything. I guess both sides figured it was a cost of doing business. ECW did go after WCW for that in the cases of Raven and Stevie Richards but I think that was one case they didn't win. (It seems like this is where Shane Douglas got the idea they were close to landing a match with Flair, Heyman wanted a Flair match as a settlement for some contract issue but it was never going to happen.)

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

MassRafTer posted:

WWF Corporate Champion Ric Flair would have been amazing.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Was 1998 when Bischoff went nuclear over Flair telling him well in advance that he was going to be at some event for one of his kids, or was that Another Time WCW Despised Ric Flair?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

It's funny how lax both sides were with contract tampering. There were lawsuits flying every which way and despite some really obvious cases of tampering (like Flair talking to Cornette or some other similar arrangements) it never really amounted to anything. I guess both sides figured it was a cost of doing business. ECW did go after WCW for that in the cases of Raven and Stevie Richards but I think that was one case they didn't win. (It seems like this is where Shane Douglas got the idea they were close to landing a match with Flair, Heyman wanted a Flair match as a settlement for some contract issue but it was never going to happen.)

I remember reading it was supposed to be a 3 match series where Flair would win the first one on an ECW PPV, Douglas would beat him on WCW TV, and the blowoff would take place at another ECW PPV. Grain of salt and all that.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Red posted:

WWF Corporate Champion Ric Flair would have been amazing.

This would have been awesome. I can't think of a better choice. Maybe DiBiase, but he was retired by this point.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

A Flair / Austin program in 1998 would have made for some weird but wonderful matches.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

St Evan Echoes posted:

A Flair / Austin program in 1998 would have made for some weird but wonderful matches.

The only potential downside is that Flair might've gotten sympathy heat for his treatment in WCW.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Great White Hope posted:

Was 1998 when Bischoff went nuclear over Flair telling him well in advance that he was going to be at some event for one of his kids, or was that Another Time WCW Despised Ric Flair?
Yes, that happened in 1998; he was going to see Reid wrestle. That's not the only dispute he had with Bischoff at the time, I don't believe.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
Market research WCW commissioned in 2000 has leaked online for some reason:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/252075712/WCW-Personality-Familiarity-and-Likeability-Ratings-April-2000

Turns out people liked watching scantily clad women a lot more than that awful wrestling stuff

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

dsriggs posted:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/252075712/WCW-Personality-Familiarity-and-Likeability-Ratings-April-2000

Turns out people liked watching scantily clad women a lot more than that awful wrestling stuff

The Stro was literally the most disliked man in WCW.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

dsriggs posted:

In 2000? I could totally believe that. People forget how raunchy the late 90's/early 2000's were. That was the height of Jerry Springer's popularity and a large reason why wrestling was so huge back then.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

flashy_mcflash posted:

In 2000? I could totally believe that. People forget how raunchy the late 90's/early 2000's were. That was the height of Jerry Springer's popularity and a large reason why wrestling was so huge back then.

I remember ads for best of Jerry Springer tapes, and I'm pretty sure the premise was "the raunchy poo poo we couldn't get away with not censoring on daytime TV". And I'm fairly sure at leats a couple times, those ads were aired during RAW or Nitro.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

More people liked Norman Smiley than Hulk Hogan. :laugh:

***EDIT***

As well he should have!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SI1bJd6y3W0

Arbite fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jan 9, 2015

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Norman Smiley ruled :colbert:

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Norman Smiley was WCW's true franchise star.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
Was this after the radicals left. Were they on the survey? What was ric flairs number? Must have been pretty low since he never drew a dime in his life

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

What was ric flairs number? Must have been pretty low since he never drew a dime in his life

Liked a Lot - 35%
Liked a Little - 20%
Neither Like or Dislike - 8%
Disliked a Little - 10%
Disliked a Lot - 26%

Anyway, the obvious problem with these surveys is that you can read anything you want into them. Say a heel has a high Dislike A Lot score, are they disliked because you've booked them as an effective heel? Or are the fans tired of them? And if a heel has a higher than expected Liked a Lot score, is it because you failed to book them properly as a heel, or do people naturally like them so much you should consider turning them? You don't know for sure either way.

Rad R.
Oct 10, 2012
What's the story about Flair going to the WWF in 1998? And ECW? I've never heard any of this! And how was Flair treated unfairly by WCW? I always thought Flair and Sting were the two ultimate WCW guys and were the most protected of all, except maybe for Hogan.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Was this after the radicals left. Were they on the survey? What was ric flairs number? Must have been pretty low since he never drew a dime in his life

If it helps, this survey omits T from Booker T, which I assume is when he was feuding with Ahmed/Stevie.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Rad R. posted:

What's the story about Flair going to the WWF in 1998? And ECW? I've never heard any of this! And how was Flair treated unfairly by WCW? I always thought Flair and Sting were the two ultimate WCW guys and were the most protected of all, except maybe for Hogan.

Flair asked for time off to see his son Reid in a wrestling tournament. This was apparently OK'd by the office, but for some reason Bischoff didn't know about it. Bischoff booked Ric for the time he asked off & Ric refused to show, so he was suspended.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

dsriggs posted:

Liked a Lot - 35%
Liked a Little - 20%
Neither Like or Dislike - 8%
Disliked a Little - 10%
Disliked a Lot - 26%

Anyway, the obvious problem with these surveys is that you can read anything you want into them. Say a heel has a high Dislike A Lot score, are they disliked because you've booked them as an effective heel? Or are the fans tired of them? And if a heel has a higher than expected Liked a Lot score, is it because you failed to book them properly as a heel, or do people naturally like them so much you should consider turning them? You don't know for sure either way.

They go into this in the preamble, and good heels tend to have both high Liked and Disliked scores like Flair does, but it's still pretty ambiguous.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

He was never going to ECW, that was a fever dream of Heyman after he won court case #5753278643227 against WCW and got another appearance of someone at an ECW show.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Holy loving poo poo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2apEfq2cFBw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSM6NhhLTNk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSFvZ85kn_s

This fuckin' guy did terrible PSA commercials when I was in middle school. He's now a classic rock DJ named Uncle Vito.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Rad R. posted:

And how was Flair treated unfairly by WCW? I always thought Flair and Sting were the two ultimate WCW guys and were the most protected of all, except maybe for Hogan.
It's a testament to how much Flair is synonymous with wrestling itself that he is remembered, to some degree, as Mr. WCW despite how the tempestuous relationship he had with the company through two decades and multiple administrations.

Flair was the head booker in 89-90, and the shows he booked were a boon to the company after a slump. But he got forced out because corporate thought he wasn't turning the company around fast enough, and also because he wanted to pass the title to Sting instead of Luger.

When Jim Herd was in charge, he wanted Flair gone because he thought he was too old and too expensive. He also wanted him to cut his hair and change his name to Spartacus.

Flair was instrumental in getting Hogan into the company, and I believe he started off on good terms with Bischoff because of that. But once Bischoff, Hogan, and Nash formed a triumvirate, Flair was hosed. They wrote the nWo like a little kid would write his favourite comic book, with the nWo winning everything all the time and WCW getting humiliated, so as the face of WCW, that meant one humiliating angle after another for Flair. He was constantly booked to lose and buried in promos, his matches were moved down the card, they literally punished fans for liking him more than they liked the nWo by writing him off TV. After he came back in 1998 he had to go through crap like a fake heart attack angle, jobbing to Eric Bischoff, being beaten up and left for dead in a field somewhere, being committed in a mental asylum by David Flair, and the list goes on. They did a lot of this poo poo in Charlotte, too. It's actually amazing how badly they treated Flair in his hometown, and for how long, before they finally killed the Charlotte territory dead.

Regarding the whole thing with Flair missing a show to see Reid wrestle, remember that by this point WCW's creative had collapsed to the level where they were literally writing later segments for a show while it was on the air. Not only had he given months of advance notice, they didn't try to book him for that show until 3 days prior.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I think the biggest takeaway from Death of WCW is how much effort they put into either squandering Flair or actively driving him off and one wonders if they had just correctly exploited his talent and popularity how many of their other issues they would have been able to cruise past.

KitsonGT
Oct 5, 2004

Remember: if the balloon pops, the noise makes the angels cry.
What I take away most from that survey is that for some reason, Ron Harris has a familiarity score of 82, but Don Harris only has a score of 75, But the Harris Boys together have a familiarity score of 94.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

epitasis posted:

I think the biggest takeaway from Death of WCW is how much effort they put into either squandering Flair or actively driving him off and one wonders if they had just correctly exploited his talent and popularity how many of their other issues they would have been able to cruise past.
Goldberg still gets screwed and there are no stars to replace Hogan and Flair.
Maybe they make a little more money from 96-98.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

It's a testament to how much Flair is synonymous with wrestling itself that he is remembered, to some degree, as Mr. WCW despite how the tempestuous relationship he had with the company through two decades and multiple administrations.

Flair was the head booker in 89-90, and the shows he booked were a boon to the company after a slump. But he got forced out because corporate thought he wasn't turning the company around fast enough, and also because he wanted to pass the title to Sting instead of Luger.

When Jim Herd was in charge, he wanted Flair gone because he thought he was too old and too expensive. He also wanted him to cut his hair and change his name to Spartacus.

Flair was instrumental in getting Hogan into the company, and I believe he started off on good terms with Bischoff because of that. But once Bischoff, Hogan, and Nash formed a triumvirate, Flair was hosed. They wrote the nWo like a little kid would write his favourite comic book, with the nWo winning everything all the time and WCW getting humiliated, so as the face of WCW, that meant one humiliating angle after another for Flair. He was constantly booked to lose and buried in promos, his matches were moved down the card, they literally punished fans for liking him more than they liked the nWo by writing him off TV. After he came back in 1998 he had to go through crap like a fake heart attack angle, jobbing to Eric Bischoff, being beaten up and left for dead in a field somewhere, being committed in a mental asylum by David Flair, and the list goes on. They did a lot of this poo poo in Charlotte, too. It's actually amazing how badly they treated Flair in his hometown, and for how long, before they finally killed the Charlotte territory dead.

Regarding the whole thing with Flair missing a show to see Reid wrestle, remember that by this point WCW's creative had collapsed to the level where they were literally writing later segments for a show while it was on the air. Not only had he given months of advance notice, they didn't try to book him for that show until 3 days prior.

One more thing: Flair had in fact, secured that day off to go see Reid. I wanna say Terry Taylor confirmed it on a shoot or somesuch. Bischoff is literally so petty he'd start a legal battle over his own incompetence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

laz0rbeak
Oct 9, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

I agree with most of this, but the idea that the NWO won everything all the time isn't really true. It's just that it wasn't ever Hogan (and, to a lesser extent, Nash), that was made to look weak. Savage and Hall spend 1997-98 making their opponents look great every night. Scott Hall loses matches to Hector Garza and 1997 Chris Jericho and takes every fall in those fake-out Steiner brother wins, making Scott Steiner look like a star, while Savage pretty much single-handedly makes DDP a credible name and cleanly puts over Luger and the Giant on TV and on PPV.