Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

TollTheHounds posted:

Well, I think because 2 of them are older ( 12/16 ) they just kind of lay around most of the time as opposed to the younger siblings ( same litter - 2 years old ) which are always running around. Even then, of the 2 younger ones only 1 of them is always underfoot ( he is a flame point siamese and constantly demands attention ) and the other is nearly blind due to damaged retinas ( from a genetic defect causing lens luxation -> glaucoma in both eyes ). So unless they are all in the same room at the same time ( treats ) I sometimes don't realize really just how many cats we have and then "just one more" seems like not such a stretch. We have plenty of space I think, 1500 sqft, so apart from choke points like hallways or stairs, it doesn't feel crowded.

Really, the biggest detriment is cost. I made a wise decision of getting pet insurance when we first got the kittens ( seriously, if you have kittens, get pet insurance, you never know ) and even with 90% coverage and a $200 deductible we've spent $2000+ on the 1 kitten with lens luxation ( 2x surgeries to do a lensectomy + countless follow ups and daily eye drops to control eye pressure - cost without insurance is $12000+ ), and one of the older ones has had to have 2x bladder surgeries to remove bladder stones ( and is now on urinary s/o exclusive diet, total cost $3000 at this point ). Finally the oldest one has arthritis and IBS ( irritable bowel syndrome, in a loving cat? ) so gets steroids every other day and Cartrophin shots every 2 months.

That and the stigma I suppose - I'm used to the "uhhhh..." when people realize we have 4 cats, but for some reason it seems like 5 just might be the tipping point that sends us off into crazyville. I think the dog is really just a pipe dream, maybe if we move in 10 years to an actual house with an enclosed yard and more space. A dog right now would be living in hell with 4 cats, especially the older ones.

I will say it is somewhat comforting to know that we're not the only people with more than 2 cats though, so thanks!

Any foster cat would become a permanent cat. It's like "try before you buy" instead of "renting", we'd ( or at least I'd ) never be able to return it. Plus it takes time for cats to work out their social structure and I'd humanize it too much as being "the new kid" and worry about it getting ostracised - I'd only really be comfortable doing that if I knew it was a permanent placement.
Do you think having a fifth cat would be a positive influence to you and yours quality of life? I'd think no, but it's ultimately your call.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
You sound reluctant. Here's the no you've been looking for: don't do it. No more pets until your census dips.

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3
I agree, you've got at least one old man/old lady cat, no need putting them through the stress of new cat introductions and hierarchy. Let him/her enjoy the twilight years in peace unless you are truly committed to this idea.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Hi cat people! It's me again!

Here are my cats, Frankie (tabby) and Crissy (tuxedo)!

Frankie is a friendly stray I adopted in July. When I first got him, he was scrawny and filthy, and he had dreadlocks! I knew he was some kind of long-hair breed but I didn't think he was all that different from any standard kind of cat. The vet estimated his age as 1 year.

In the intervening months, however, Frankie has developed some unique and awesome characteristics: he has a bushy raccoon tail, shaggy fur, a lion's mane (apparently called a "ruff"), giant paws, and a love of butts.

He also has an annoying but irresistible habit of sitting in my lap like a baby when I'm on the computer (possibly hoping to see pictures of butts):

A few days ago, a friend of mine on facebook wrote something like "What a cute Maine Coon!" I had never heard of this before (I'm not a big enough cat fancier I guess), but a cursory google search has me convinced - Frankie is none other than a Maine Coon. Now I have a few questions:

Feeding time - per the vet, Crissy's target weight is 8 pounds. At the moment she's a chubby 10 pounder. When I first brought Frankie in to the vet in July, he was a 10 pound cat, but I can tell he's gotten larger since then and he's no porker. I read that Maine Coons may not reach their full size until they are 3-5 years old. How much should I feed him? Should I go by standard weight guidelines or should I feed him like he's a kitten? How can I keep Crissy from eating his food aside from separate feedings. Despite being a chubs, she is smaller than him, so methods like "stick the food in a place only a smaller cat can get to" won't work.

Hip problems - I have read that Maine Coons often have hip problems in their senior years. Is there anything I can do while Frankie is still young to prevent them? Should Frankie lift and get swole?

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

Mr. Wookums posted:

Do you think having a fifth cat would be a positive influence to you and yours quality of life? I'd think no, but it's ultimately your call.

RedTonic posted:

You sound reluctant. Here's the no you've been looking for: don't do it. No more pets until your census dips.

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

I agree, you've got at least one old man/old lady cat, no need putting them through the stress of new cat introductions and hierarchy. Let him/her enjoy the twilight years in peace unless you are truly committed to this idea.

Still a definite no for sure, just sometimes...but no! no! It's already a bit like living in a zoo as it is, spend most of our time cleaning, feeding, and medicating.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

Xibanya posted:

Feeding time - per the vet, Crissy's target weight is 8 pounds. At the moment she's a chubby 10 pounder. When I first brought Frankie in to the vet in July, he was a 10 pound cat, but I can tell he's gotten larger since then and he's no porker. I read that Maine Coons may not reach their full size until they are 3-5 years old. How much should I feed him? Should I go by standard weight guidelines or should I feed him like he's a kitten? How can I keep Crissy from eating his food aside from separate feedings. Despite being a chubs, she is smaller than him, so methods like "stick the food in a place only a smaller cat can get to" won't work.

I don't know how you're feeding them, we feed ours all the same dry food ( the vet special to prevent bladder stones/crystals ) for "every day", but when we give them treats like wet food, it's just a matter of portioning a specific amount per plate, per cat and policing them while they eat. If you just leave food out for them to graze on, there's not really much you can do unless you get lucky and can find a food that one or the other doesn't actually like.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

TollTheHounds posted:

I don't know how you're feeding them, we feed ours all the same dry food ( the vet special to prevent bladder stones/crystals ) for "every day", but when we give them treats like wet food, it's just a matter of portioning a specific amount per plate, per cat and policing them while they eat. If you just leave food out for them to graze on, there's not really much you can do unless you get lucky and can find a food that one or the other doesn't actually like.

I feed them both twice a day measured portions - 1/4 cup dry food for Crissy per meal and 1/3 cup dry food for Frankie per meal - but sometimes one will try to nosh on the food of the other.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Xibanya posted:

Feeding time - per the vet, Crissy's target weight is 8 pounds. At the moment she's a chubby 10 pounder. When I first brought Frankie in to the vet in July, he was a 10 pound cat, but I can tell he's gotten larger since then and he's no porker. I read that Maine Coons may not reach their full size until they are 3-5 years old. How much should I feed him? Should I go by standard weight guidelines or should I feed him like he's a kitten?

My friend's Maine Coon grew to ~20 pounds of muscle (and 5 pounds of hatred), and I've heard that that isn't uncommon. Don't be afraid to feed him.

Braki
Aug 9, 2006

Happy birthday!

HelloSailorSign posted:

For what you got, that's pretty standard pricing for most things.

Holy crap, vet schools are cheap.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Braki posted:

Holy crap, vet schools are cheap.

Yes they are, for what you end up getting. Most people don't like dealing with students and don't realize that even if the student overseeing the case is a drooling retard, their pet will still receive good care because it takes an awful bad student (or it's early in the year and it hasn't been established yet that they're a retard) to actually, really, hurt a patient (special circumstances still apply).

There's a reason why the goon doc thread will occasionally change title to, "Don't go to the hospital in July." Same deal with academic vet med.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Xibanya posted:

He also has an annoying but irresistible habit of sitting in my lap like a baby when I'm on the computer (possibly hoping to see pictures of butts):

That's def a Maine Coon. My parents got to be about 25 pounds. Super friendly who followed my mom around everywhere.

BarristaSelmy
Oct 10, 2012

Xibanya posted:

Hip problems - I have read that Maine Coons often have hip problems in their senior years. Is there anything I can do while Frankie is still young to prevent them? Should Frankie lift and get swole?

If your Frankie is anything like my Elphie (also a Maine Coon), he doesn't care to jump up to high perches too much. If he does like it, I think this would create more impact on his hips and possibly cause problems later. The highest perch Elphie will get on is about 2 feet. She will climb onto my bed, but I can tell she doesn't like it too much. As for weight, my Elphie has gotten a bit more stagnant lately, but at her thinnest she was 15lbs, very muscular and long.

Maybe train him for leash walking? I'm not sure if that would help his hips or not though but it might help maintain muscle. But they are very smart cats. This morning I found her in the guest bedroom. She had moved the bedspread so that it made a "tube" she could burrow into and only her head was poking out. I meant to take a picture, but I was running late.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Tiny Lowtax posted:

That's def a Maine Coon. My parents got to be about 25 pounds. Super friendly who followed my mom around everywhere.

This is my experience with maine coons as well. Giant lovable fluffballs who always want to be your friend.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Barrista posted:

If your Frankie is anything like my Elphie (also a Maine Coon), he doesn't care to jump up to high perches too much. If he does like it, I think this would create more impact on his hips and possibly cause problems later. The highest perch Elphie will get on is about 2 feet. She will climb onto my bed, but I can tell she doesn't like it too much. As for weight, my Elphie has gotten a bit more stagnant lately, but at her thinnest she was 15lbs, very muscular and long.

Maybe train him for leash walking? I'm not sure if that would help his hips or not though but it might help maintain muscle. But they are very smart cats. This morning I found her in the guest bedroom. She had moved the bedspread so that it made a "tube" she could burrow into and only her head was poking out. I meant to take a picture, but I was running late.

Frankie like bed

He doesn't hang out on high perches for the pleasure of it but he always wants to be where I am, so if I'm doing something on the table he'll hop onto a chair and from there to the table to get a better view (my other cat can go straight from the floor to the table). Should I try to discourage him to prevent hip problems later on?

I will have to buy a new harness because he's outgrown the one I have! Every time I put it on him though he hides under the bed and seems really freaked out. I guess more training is needed.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Cythereal posted:

This is my experience with maine coons as well. Giant lovable fluffballs who always want to be your friend.

How do I tell the difference between a Maine Coon and a long-hair tabby? I ask because my cat seems to fit the bill: ridiculously affectionate, hilariously exaggerated ruff around the neck and a giant fluffy tail. We were told he was a long-hair tabby. Or is that just a UK term for the same cat?

(this photo's from some time back, he's even fluffier now)

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
The difference between a Maine Coon and a Longhaired Tabby is several hundreds of dollars. I doubt you have a pure bred anything if they didn't charge you for one. There are a lot of giant fluffly cat breeds that are affectionate and it's not unlikely yours may have some of that heritage, but if they called your cat a long-haired Tabby it's because it is likely no specific breed at all (assuming you adopted from a shelter and not a breeder). Tabby isn't a breed, it's a coloration.

One of my childhood cats was incredibly fluffy and had the huge neck ruff and super long tail and ear tufts...but there was not a drop of Maine Coon anywhere near that cat, in fact both her parents were short haired farm cats with no particular allegiance to any breed at all. Genetics are weird. It's possible you've got some kind of breed mix and I guess it's possible you got a pure breed but the safest bet is you got a cat.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Giant lovable fluffballs who always want to be your friend.

I had a stray that looked exactly like a Norwegian forest cat. This description fits. Best cat ever, whether he was Maine coon, Norwegian forest, mutt or whatever. Basically, big fluffy friendly cats are necessary in life.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

KKKlean Energy posted:

How do I tell the difference between a Maine Coon and a long-hair tabby? I ask because my cat seems to fit the bill: ridiculously affectionate, hilariously exaggerated ruff around the neck and a giant fluffy tail. We were told he was a long-hair tabby. Or is that just a UK term for the same cat?

(this photo's from some time back, he's even fluffier now)

First off, cute kitties!

Looks like there are a few key things (per cursory Google check).

Maine Coons are indigenous to North America and one theory is that they have some bobcat in them, so any Maine Coons in the UK were (expensively) brought there by cat fanciers, so there's just a smaller gene pool in general.

Maine Coons apparently get huge. I read average male weight is 17 pounds and average male length is 40 inches.

Maine Coons are adapted to walking around in the snow, so they have large flat paws with tufts of fur on them. They have furrier than typical ears too. They have a higher than typical chance of having 6 toes on each paw!

They also have snubby smooshed noses for some reason.

My poor Frankie was pitiful and neglected when I found him but well socialized to people. I had the vet check for a microchip because I knew he wasn't feral, but he didn't have one so I'm keeping him in good conscience. (I also had a hell of a vet bill afterward for all the vaccines, microchipping, ball snipping, and medicine for his respiratory infection and ear mites.) I wonder if he came from an amateur breeder's litter and was set loose when no taker could be found. I must be lucky! According to Google, people will pay a mint for a Maine Coon!

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Xibanya posted:

My poor Frankie was pitiful and neglected when I found him but well socialized to people. I had the vet check for a microchip because I knew he wasn't feral, but he didn't have one so I'm keeping him in good conscience. (I also had a hell of a vet bill afterward for all the vaccines, microchipping, ball snipping, and medicine for his respiratory infection and ear mites.) I wonder if he came from an amateur breeder's litter and was set loose when no taker could be found. I must be lucky! According to Google, people will pay a mint for a Maine Coon!

It's highly unlikely that your cat is a 'Maine Coon' by pedigree - the studbook's closed. The breed's considered natural, so it originated with a lot of cats indigenous to Maine and hasn't been selectively bred into weird colors or whatnot. Maine Coon/Norwegian Forest cat-type domestic longhairs show up all the time in shelters. If you're really curious, UC Davis can help you out with ancestry tests: http://www.vgl.ucdavis.edu/services/cat/ancestry/faq.php.

Engineer Lenk fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jan 6, 2015

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Engineer Lenk posted:

It's highly unlikely that your cat is a 'Maine Coon' by pedigree - the studbook's closed.

Can't stop me from feeling lucky. :colbert:

Frankie's characteristics are exactly what's described of Maine Coons so even if he's not a purebred cat, I'm still getting the awesome features people fork over tons of money for. That's what I meant, even if it seemed like "woo hoo I have a fancy expensive cat!"

Thanks for the link, seems to be broken though.

I forgot to mention one "downside." Frankie is also quite the chatterbox, making random sounds roughly approximating human speech. He is fond of doing this at midnight especially. Why? It is a cat mystery.

Xibanya fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jan 6, 2015

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Xibanya posted:

First off, cute kitties!

Looks like there are a few key things (per cursory Google check).

Maine Coons are indigenous to North America and one theory is that they have some bobcat in them, so any Maine Coons in the UK were (expensively) brought there by cat fanciers, so there's just a smaller gene pool in general.

Maine Coons apparently get huge. I read average male weight is 17 pounds and average male length is 40 inches.

Maine Coons are adapted to walking around in the snow, so they have large flat paws with tufts of fur on them. They have furrier than typical ears too. They have a higher than typical chance of having 6 toes on each paw!

They also have snubby smooshed noses for some reason.

Basically, any giant fluffy tabby in the US is likely to be at least part Maine Coon, particularly if they have furry paws and ears. Especially if they're a brown-ish tabby, it's safe to call it a Maine Coon outside of contexts where pedigrees and whatnot are involved.

Norwegian Forest Cats are the European version. Current theory is that Maine Coons are descendants of the big northern European cats that came to North America on viking and early European ships.

Or in short, it's a giant fluffy cat that's likely to be extremely affectionate regardless of its exact genetics.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Thanks all, I now know the difference between a Maine Coon and a tabby :)

BarristaSelmy
Oct 10, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Basically, any giant fluffy tabby in the US is likely to be at least part Maine Coon, particularly if they have furry paws and ears. Especially if they're a brown-ish tabby, it's safe to call it a Maine Coon outside of contexts where pedigrees and whatnot are involved.

Norwegian Forest Cats are the European version. Current theory is that Maine Coons are descendants of the big northern European cats that came to North America on viking and early European ships.

Or in short, it's a giant fluffy cat that's likely to be extremely affectionate regardless of its exact genetics.

I think most people who say their adopted cats are a "maine coon" or "siamese" or any other breed name are just trying to give a general description of the cat by saying the breed it most looks like.
I'm not sure why people care so much if someone decides to describe their adopted cat (or dog for that matter) using a breed. They aren't saying they need it to be a certain breed to be happy with it as a pet either.

BarristaSelmy fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Jan 7, 2015

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3

Barrista posted:

I think most people who say their adopted cats are a "maine coon" or "siamese" or any other breed name are just trying to give a general description of the cat by saying the breed it most looks like.
I'm not sure why people care so much if someone decides to describe their adopted cat (or dog for that matter) using a breed. They aren't saying they need it to be a certain breed to be happy with it as a pet either.

I agree, when I refer to my dog as a chihuahua I'm not implying she's AKC registered or anything, just that she looks predominately like a chihuahua with I'm sure some other breeds mixed in.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
I've always heard people say "_____ mix" to achieve that end. It could be a regional thing though. Basically it's just saying the breed it's most like and the word "mix" suggests...well, a mix.

"What kind of dog is that?"

"A lab mix."

I don't personally care who says what about their pets but sometimes it comes across as annoying bragging, like someone gushing about the coach purse they found at goodwill.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I've only heard people do that when their pet is very clearly a mix - more typical for dogs since dogs have more distinct traits between breeds so it's easier for a dog to have distinctive Scottish terrier traits or whatever while still obviously not being a Scotty.

I don't see why I have to call my cat a mix when it looks just like the pure breed it resembles. I'm not trying to stick it in a cat show or anything.

For the record the real coach bag from goodwill I will gush about to excess in real life is Crissy the domestic shorthair. She is the best most cuddliest wonderful cat and the smartest and the cutest and the nicest and gently caress you if you disagree.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
My cat is part tabby with notes of siamese and a strong finishing aroma of butt. He lingers on the palate like a hairball desperately clinging to a uvula. I had him reupholstered in Prague but I'm not satisfied with the varnish they used. He's also part elf, but aren't they all?

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

My cat is part tabby with notes of siamese and a strong finishing aroma of butt. He lingers on the palate like a hairball desperately clinging to a uvula. I had him reupholstered in Prague but I'm not satisfied with the varnish they used. He's also part elf, but aren't they all?

He's probably just part gnome. The elf studbook is closed. :v:

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Xibanya posted:

Can't stop me from feeling lucky. :colbert:

Frankie's characteristics are exactly what's described of Maine Coons so even if he's not a purebred cat, I'm still getting the awesome features people fork over tons of money for. That's what I meant, even if it seemed like "woo hoo I have a fancy expensive cat!"

Thanks for the link, seems to be broken though.

I forgot to mention one "downside." Frankie is also quite the chatterbox, making random sounds roughly approximating human speech. He is fond of doing this at midnight especially. Why? It is a cat mystery.

One of our cats is Maine Coon-ish, and I knew another one in Austin (he passed, sadly) from the same neighborhood (they were both strays) who had to have been mostly Maine Coon (he was HUGE and had that hilarious characteristic high pitch squeak meow). I think there must be an unfixed one running loose in NW Austin.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Dogen posted:

One of our cats is Maine Coon-ish, and I knew another one in Austin (he passed, sadly) from the same neighborhood (they were both strays) who had to have been mostly Maine Coon (he was HUGE and had that hilarious characteristic high pitch squeak meow). I think there must be an unfixed one running loose in NW Austin.

Or could be a local animal rescue got a bunch from a hoarder/BYB. We had a case of that when I was volunteering at an animal shelter in college - a Maine Coon breeder who kept dozens in appallingly filthy conditions, and all the cats went to the shelter I was working at. Took a few months to get them used to human contact, but they eventually reverted to type and became extremely affectionate fluffballs that got adopted out in short order.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.
I got home from work yesterday and my fiance said "I have something to show you" and when I asked "Good or bad?" he said "Probably bad". Tali had some issues with blood in her poop but it was a tiny bit that was bright red and his sister (used to be a vet tech) said to keep an eye on her but it's not an emergency, probably some irritation or constipation. She sat on the arm of the couch and left a blood stain, so I checked the litter box and there was a big poop with bright red blood on it so we called the vet and brought her in last night. They took her bloody poop (which we brought, I don't think the Uber driver was too happy, but gently caress walking >1 mile in the snow/20 degree windy night) and gave us some antibiotics (which she was not happy with, only 13 more doses left :( ) and some probiotics (which she loved and gobbled up this morning).

Anyone else get upset when their kitty is at the vet and cries/yelps? She was fine getting her temperature taken but when the vet started actually rubbing her belly/butt area she made the most upsetting noise I've ever heard, I almost cried in the office.

tl;dr kind of just venting, possibly sick kitty.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

ilysespieces posted:

Anyone else get upset when their kitty is at the vet and cries/yelps? She was fine getting her temperature taken but when the vet started actually rubbing her belly/butt area she made the most upsetting noise I've ever heard, I almost cried in the office.

tl;dr kind of just venting, possibly sick kitty.
I hope your kitty feels better soon! I took mine to the vet for their booster shots the other week and Loki was as quiet and docile as a ragdoll in the vet's hands, but when it was time for Cinnamon's butt-thermometer she made the most indignant little MEOW I have ever heard out of her and panic-shed about half a pound of fluff all over my sweater. Poor little princess.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
So I just got back from a two week vacation and my roomie had been taking care of my cat, Chadwick. Unfortunately she had gotten mixed up with the food cartons and was feeding him some very outdated and old food I'd just not gotten around to throwing away yet (Dry food). Since I returned, I've noticed him shaking his head and scratching one ear. I checked his ear and saw nothing. Healthy pink ear with no signs of mites (He's an indoor cat with no access to other animals or outside plants), no gook or wax, and no bad smell or anything. It doesn't seem tender or anything and he lets me rub and scratch it as usual.
I've read about cats sometimes having reactions to food allergies and wonder if this may be from eating bad food? Can that happen to an ear? :ohdear:

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.

floofyscorp posted:

I hope your kitty feels better soon! I took mine to the vet for their booster shots the other week and Loki was as quiet and docile as a ragdoll in the vet's hands, but when it was time for Cinnamon's butt-thermometer she made the most indignant little MEOW I have ever heard out of her and panic-shed about half a pound of fluff all over my sweater. Poor little princess.

Thank you. When we first got her and brought her in for her first shots they took her to another room and she cried so loud we could hear her across the office. Right after that happened someone in the front office said "I hope they're ok" and someone checked on us, I guess they could tell we were new to having our own pet. She just started soft and got progressively louder while she fiddled around near her booty until she scream and I gave her all the snuggles when we got home to make up for the butt stuff.

If you just saw her and not the bloody spot on the couch/in her litter box you wouldn't have any indication something was wrong, she eats and drinks and plays normal, so we're hoping for irritation and not a GI issue or parasite.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

So I just got back from a two week vacation and my roomie had been taking care of my cat, Chadwick. Unfortunately she had gotten mixed up with the food cartons and was feeding him some very outdated and old food I'd just not gotten around to throwing away yet (Dry food). Since I returned, I've noticed him shaking his head and scratching one ear. I checked his ear and saw nothing. Healthy pink ear with no signs of mites (He's an indoor cat with no access to other animals or outside plants), no gook or wax, and no bad smell or anything. It doesn't seem tender or anything and he lets me rub and scratch it as usual.
I've read about cats sometimes having reactions to food allergies and wonder if this may be from eating bad food? Can that happen to an ear? :ohdear:

It really could be anything and not particularly related to the out of date food. How out of date was it? If it's dry food, it may have been stale, but unless it was moldy or stank (more than usual), no reason to expect a terrible outcome from it.

Sometimes one of my cats does that for a bit. It could really just be a hair curled wrong.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
You ever notice something troubling on your cat but it's so subtle that you're not sure if you're imagining it?

The area around my cat's left eye is a little pink. Now the hair right there is white so it could just naturally be so short that I can see the skin underneath and I could be imagining the whole thing.

Or it could be pink and it could the signs of an Upper Respiratory Infection or a tumor.

Or it could be dust from the new furnace we had installed last weekend that needs to work its way out of his system.

There's no other signs of anything aside from some little crusties that both my cats have on occasion. I wish they'd just tell me what's wrong.

DressCodeBlue
Jun 15, 2006

Professional zombie impersonator.
Hey goons, what's the deal with introducing a second FIV+ cat into your home? Is it relatively safe? Have there been any cases where maybe a superinfection caused a previously healthy cat to go down hill?

I'm considering finding a companion for Butts, but I'm a little worried about this.

Dogen posted:

Similarly there are about one billion gorgeous Siamese mixes running around UT's campus.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

DressCodeBlue posted:

Hey goons, what's the deal with introducing a second FIV+ cat into your home? Is it relatively safe? Have there been any cases where maybe a superinfection caused a previously healthy cat to go down hill?

I'm considering finding a companion for Butts, but I'm a little worried about this.

I did this, it's fine. FIV cats can live together. The only risk, I suppose, is that if one comes down with a cold, you might want to separate them until it's over, since they're much more vulnerable when they have no immune system and you don't want it to spread. I don't know if it's possible to detect a cold in cats early enough though.

Also I think there's another thing among the lines of FELV, I'm not sure how it relates to FIV or whether a cat can get both, might want to check with your shelter or vet or your local internet (I'd look it up but I'm phone posting).

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
So, I'm planning on adopting a cat in a couple months, once my apartment lease comes up for renewal so I can remove the no pets clause without an additional fee. It's something I've been planning on for a while, and I'm checking to see if I have everything I should need. I live in a small apartment by myself, and my plan is to visit this local no-kill animal shelter when it's time and ask the staff about an adult cat (I do not have the time or energy for a kitten or two) that would be best off in a one-cat household.

I have:

* Litter box with clumping cat litter
* Electric Drinkwell-brand cat water fountain (with extra charcoal filters - inherited from my parents after our cat died of old age last year)
* Anti-flea tablets, if necessary
* Bag of cat treats
* The address and phone number for a well regarded local vet (I'm a librarian, so most of my coworkers have cats and this vet is popular with them)

Concerns/plans:

* My family gave me several cans of Fancy Feast chicken feast in gravy flavor and Friskies Plus with turkey and giblets in gravy flavor wet cat food for Christmas, as they know I've been planning for this. However, from looking at the pet nutrition thread I see these are not well regarded brands. There is a Petco near my apartment - am I likely to find good quality cat food there, or do I need to look elsewhere? I do intend to ask the animal shelter staff, if I find a cat that suits me (and I it, knowing cats), if the cat is known to prefer wet or dry food, and how often it should be fed.

* I know I'll need to pick up a few cat toys to play with it, in addition to it inevitably finding its own fun.

* There used to be a pet products thread in PI that seems to have fallen into the archives, and I remember it having a link to a website that sells quality cat trees at excellent prices. I spent most of my time in my apartment at a large computer desk, and I would appreciate a link to the site if anyone has it so I can put the cat tree between my desk and the window, letting the cat have access to both.

* I live in Florida and so lizards and small roaches occasionally getting into the apartment is a fact of life. Is this something I'll need to be especially concerned about?

Anything else I should be thinking about and planning for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Cat tree site is Amarkat. I got one of their trees too and it rocks.

When I was getting my cats I was trying to prepare perfectly too, I was basically convinced if I wasn't totally ready for them they would walk out of their carriers and immediately die of neglect. I waited until I had a full week off work to adopt them so I could make sure my house wasn't a cat murdertrap. Turns out, cats are way easier to introduce to a house than dogs. What I'm trying to say is, you sound awesomely prepared, and yeah maybe you're forgetting something, but as soon as you get your cat you'll figure it out and get it.