Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Duke Chin posted:

Related and offtopic as gently caress: how the F are you getting hockeystreams to work on your phone? I have an S5 and I keep getting "invalid MIME type" on every stream I try to use. :sigh:
:shrug: It normally just works. Tonight it was fucky and I had to go to the DVR player instead of the live one to get it going.

iPhone 5s on the Chrome app, for what it's worth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

For what it's worth, I did my lefty vs. righty test the last few nights. Now, keep in mind I haven't played in like 15 years, and I was never a fantastic stick handler.

But handling the puck lefty, I have WAAAAAY softer hands than with my right. Like frighteningly so. :aaaaa:

And I was planning on getting a couple of new sticks. Now I'm not sure which hand to get. <sigh>

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Nostratic posted:

And I was planning on getting a couple of new sticks. Now I'm not sure which hand to get. <sigh>
Flat blade

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pleads posted:

Flat blade

I'm curious what kind of a mindfuck it would be if an NHL player did this, and swapped handedness on a breakaway.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

Doctor Butts posted:

So, one of my teammates was thinking he was gonna hurl while playing last night. Sometime during warmups, I noticed some brown multicolored chunk poo poo over the ice. Figured he heaved. During the game, saw some more. Thought to myself "heh, I know where this guy's been skating".

By the end of the game there were chunks of this poo poo everywhere.

After the game he tells everyone how he held out, and then I came to find out that all that brown poo poo all over the loving ice was someone's chew.

loving disgusting.
I never really understood why my rink was so over the top with chew.

But after stories like this... I can see benches, ice, and locker rooms taking a real turn for the worse if they don't take a stand.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I've seen a lot of guys who dip in the dressing room but so far everyone has had the courtesy to spit it out before getting on to the ice.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

xzzy posted:

I'm curious what kind of a mindfuck it would be if an NHL player did this, and swapped handedness on a breakaway.

I played against a guy who would stick handle right handed with a left handed stick. His backhand (which was forehand for the blade) was ridiculous BUT the weirder part is he would switch hands for slapshots.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Man, calling some people "fatty" or "fatass" makes them irrationally angry. I love it.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Same goes for "big man", "big guy" or my favorite "baby huey"

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Man, calling some people "fatty" or "fatass" makes them irrationally angry. I love it.

I don't taunt them because I am small and they can kill me by accident. Like my one teammate a couple of years ago who basically spiked me into the ice like a volleyball while trying to keep his balance.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Last night, one of my teammates ran into a guy on the boards with his shoulder, and the door (not the bench doors) popped open and the dude on the other team flew through it. That was good for a laugh.

e: Also, the other wing on my line was screening the goalie, and our D-man fired a wrister right into his balls. He dropped like a sack of bricks and I thought he was going to vomit.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jan 6, 2015

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Taunting, no. Chirping is hilarious though and everyone should do it. It's probably the most fun part of the game, I wish I was better at it.

A skater (wearing 99 on his jersey so he's already "that guy") got worked up the other night, claimed our goalie slashed him so when he eventually got a goal he stood in the crease and shouted "BOOM!" for his celebration. It was a pretty nice goal all things considered, but he just had to be a twit about it.

So we had some fun with it, every time he touched the puck someone would shout BOOM! from the bench.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Last night, one of my teammates ran into a guy on the boards with his shoulder, and the door (not the bench doors) popped open and the dude on the other team flew through it. That was good for a laugh.

e: Also, the other wing on my line was screening the goalie, and our D-man fired a wrister right into his balls. He dropped like a sack of bricks and I thought he was going to vomit.

My favourite nut-shot story happened at ball hockey a couple years ago. A couple guys on my team played without a cup because they're loving idiots. We happened to have a game on Valentine's Day and my one friend takes a hard wrister to the pills. He immediately throws his stick, gloves, and helmet down on the concrete, yells "AWWW, I HAVE A HOTEL WITH MY GIRLFRIEND TONIGHT!" and runs out of the game. Still doesn't wear a cup.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

Verman posted:

Same goes for "big man", "big guy" or my favorite "baby huey"
I think I'm up to drawing 5 penalties by responding to these with "oh, that explains why your mom/sister/wife/girlfriend was out of breath when I was on top." Steer into the skid my friends.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Last night my team was playing a game that seemed it would be in good spirits.

Guy from other team comes in our locker room seeing if anyone had extra shinguards (he forgot his). Everyone laughed and he left. I looked in my bag and realized I forgot my gloves so I walk over to their locker room and ask if they had any gloves and they laughed. Luckily a teammate had a pair but they were 12" baby gloves.

The game starts and it was chippy right from the start. Lots of pushing, holding, more than incidental contact etc. When we took the lead it got worse. I had a breakaway and got taken down by what I could best describe as a football tackle sending us both into the boards at full speed. One of our players scored a wraparound goal and as he came around the side of the net he was checked down to his rear end which we thought was going to be a cross checking penalty. When the whistle blew to confirm the goal, the guy on top dropped his gloves and tried fighting our teammate who was on his back. Only got a penalty.

It was tied going into the end of the 3rd so we got 5 minute running clock OT. I had a good 2 on 1 break and tried to pass it across to my fellow winger. The goalie poked the pass, our D man came in and cleaned it up and we won.

One of their teammates was so pissed that he threw his stick across the rink after we scored.

Fun stuff.

Dale Meets Wall
Aug 17, 2004

Dale will always steer you in the RIGHT direction!
Any advice on making a decent shooting pad? I've read white board and pledge and other things like that so I was wondering if anyone had experience with doing that. I want to practice stick handling and shooting from home since I can only hit the ice once a week but I can dick around in my basement whenever.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I use a whiteboard from home depot and a ton of silicone lubricant for mine.. it works pretty good. It's close enough to ice that it won't really mess with your puck handling. It's definitely good enough for shooting, especially for a $20 investment.

A sheet of HDPE supposedly works pretty good too.. it's the same plastic that all the $100+ shooting pads use, but if you find a warehouse that stocks the stuff you can get a good sized sheet for like $30. I don't have any personal experience using it though.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

xzzy posted:

I use a whiteboard from home depot and a ton of silicone lubricant for mine.. it works pretty good. It's close enough to ice that it won't really mess with your puck handling. It's definitely good enough for shooting, especially for a $20 investment.

A sheet of HDPE supposedly works pretty good too.. it's the same plastic that all the $100+ shooting pads use, but if you find a warehouse that stocks the stuff you can get a good sized sheet for like $30. I don't have any personal experience using it though.

I don't know if TAP Plastics is just a bay area thing or what, but they know exactly what to give you if you walk in looking for a shooting pad. I bought a 4'x 4' sheet of the stuff for another purpose and they immediately started talking to me about hockey :3:

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Pinky Artichoke posted:

I don't know if TAP Plastics is just a bay area thing or what, but they know exactly what to give you if you walk in looking for a shooting pad. I bought a 4'x 4' sheet of the stuff for another purpose and they immediately started talking to me about hockey :3:

Presuming these are the same:

http://www.tapplastics.com/about/locations

West Coast only

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

xzzy posted:

You can also ship HDPE, in thin enough cuts it'll roll easily. You'll want to flatten it and attach it to something but always an option. Worked pretty well for me.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I always hear that melamine board with some pledge on it is the slipperiest.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Yeah, but it also makes you sound like an rear end in a top hat.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
A few weeks ago I broke a stick during pick up. Luckily it was still under warranty so I'm getting a replacement for it. The break is about 6 inches above the heel, is it possible to cut a bit around the break and reinforce it with a piece of wood or something similar? Basically want to fix the stick and use as a back up if possible.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Depends on where the break is. If it's the hozzle you won't fix it. If it's the shaft you can get a place that will use fiberglass to fix it. Might be too expensive though, depends on cost of stick.

I'm more surprised you didn't have to send the broken stick in. It's been a while since I've had a warranty replacement but when I did I had to send it in.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
To give you an idea of where it is at. I'm wondering since it is discontinued that is the reason why. I'm not complaining, I got the stick cheap and getting a really nice upgrade for it.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Could you cut it, flip it, throw a replacement blade in the top-now-bottom, and just add a wooden plug to get the right height?

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

Dangerllama posted:

Could you cut it, flip it, throw a replacement blade in the top-now-bottom, and just add a wooden plug to get the right height?
This might work, but your flex will be different. Not sure if it's increased or decreased, but it will for sure change the stick.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

That is eligible for a stick repair place to fix it. I still think that is going to be more than you want to spend.

Jamming a blade at that point is going to give you a stick that has a comically high flex rating I think.

Personally I would chuck it. But I've done crazy stuff to save or acquire another stick that I love.

Dale Meets Wall
Aug 17, 2004

I'm having a word issue with my left skate inside edge. It feels like I have no edge. Anytime I put weight on it or try to push off it my for just slides laterally and doesn't "bite" into the ice. It feels about as sharp as my right inside edge, to be fair that also feels a little dull but I have no issues holding that edge. My issue is I just had my skates sharpened and hadn't written them until last night. Is it more likely the shop just did a lovely job, or is something wrong with my skate? The boot and blade seem fine, just slightly dull.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Probably a bad cut. Take them back and ask for a re-cut.

Dale Meets Wall
Aug 17, 2004

I should add that I was skating Friday and all of a sudden I lost that edge which was weird I thought. So I got them sharpened thinking it would solve the problem but it didn't. So maybe they just ignored the edge on the sharpening? I'm bringing them to a different shop today to have them redone and see if they see anything wrong with the blade.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Vital Signs posted:

This might work, but your flex will be different. Not sure if it's increased or decreased, but it will for sure change the stick.

Oh yeah, it'll become a Chara flex, but if it's just going to be for screwing around/backup…

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

They can't "ignore an edge." To sharpen skates they press an abrasive wheel against the bottom of your skate and cut out a circular shape into the blade.. this is what creates the inside/outside edges.

What could happen is they didn't have the skate properly aligned with the wheel, so they ended up cutting at an angle. This can really mess up your ability to use the skate.. when they do the sharpening they're supposed to check that the edges are even but if it was some disinterested kid doing it he may have skipped that. When they do the job, watch them to check if they use a little device that looks something like this:

You can sort of test it at home by putting something long over the edges in the same way, like a ruler. Squint at it and see if it's perpendicular to the metal of the skate blade.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Sounds like the grinding wheel wasn't properly dressed. Just tell them what you think happened and have them give it a good recut.

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457
Nitramster and I finally got on a team, joined the newly formed 5th Aluminum team at Bay Harbor/Skating Edge so we can be cool like sellouts. Looks like the goalie from our rookie team at Westminster might be joining us too.

Dale Meets Wall
Aug 17, 2004

Had my skates checked out at a different shop. As I, and the rest of you thought, my edges were trashed. One was rolled pretty bad so the original shop that "sharpened" them either worsened the problem or they just didn't bother trying. I will not be returning there. Now that my skates will finally work I can't to go to a skate and shot this weekend.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Pleads posted:

Flat blade

But I need my currrrrve

I noticed the price was still Sharpied on the stick I experimented with (a 16 year old Canadien), only $18.95 back in the day :(

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Acethomas posted:

Nitramster and I finally got on a team, joined the newly formed 5th Aluminum team at Bay Harbor/Skating Edge so we can be cool like sellouts. Looks like the goalie from our rookie team at Westminster might be joining us too.

I would think you're a league above aluminum but have fun! What is your team name? The Tuesday night drop ins (That fill in like 45 min) have lots of skaters in that league. I still need to get you added to that but it's been filling so fast they might be hesitant to add others. They had 7 people waiting to play last night.

I am starting the silver league tonight and it will be likely the fastest skate I've ever been apart of. I am excited at possibly being the second worst person again. We had to move up after sweeping Thursday "bronze" (not bronze) and squeeking out a sunday bronze championship.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jan 8, 2015

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457

sellouts posted:

I would think you're a league above aluminum but have fun! What is your team name? The Tuesday night drop ins (That fill in like 45 min) have lots of skaters in that league. I still need to get you added to that but it's been filling so fast they might be hesitant to add others. They had 7 people waiting to play last night.

I am starting the silver league tonight and it will be likely the fastest skate I've ever been apart of. I am excited at possibly being the second worst person again. We had to move up after sweeping Thursday "bronze" (not bronze) and squeeking out a sunday bronze championship.

I don't know what the name is yet I'll know next week since we have a bye this week. I'm copper or bronze but I think it will be good for Nitramster to get one more season at this level before we move up. Plus our copper team in long beach might get back together next season anyway. I'll probably just play D to be safe this season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Cool well let me know if they force you to move up. I doubt they will but I know a fair amount of dudes in the next league up and they seem pretty serious about parity at the lower levels.

Silver skate was fun. Definitely not second worst, set up game winner on a sick breakout with a ridiculous finish. I love hockey. I love life.