Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Main Paineframe posted:

it's the only symbol they have that can represent any unique heritage at all, so they repurpose it for any and all regional heritage

kind of like how texas makes a big deal out of their war from mexico and their decade or so as an independent state, despite the fact that the state was literally founded for basically the sole purpose of making slavery legal. all those details about the original texas are forgotten, now people just use it to mean "oorah texas is great and special" without even knowing the history behind it, let alone caring about it

yes but you see TEXAS ISN'T THE SOUTH even tho they seceded during the civil war and then quietly rejoined afterward in order to get out of paying war debts and furthermore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

yes but you see TEXAS ISN'T THE SOUTH even tho they seceded during the civil war and then quietly rejoined afterward in order to get out of paying war debts and furthermore

texas isn't the south because culturally it's a ton different from alabama et all

similarly, louisiana isn't really the south either but no one really disputes that

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

IPvSH6T posted:

also the russian naval jack

and batman's insignia, apparently

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Sagebrush posted:

and batman's insignia, apparently

could be bacardi

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

computer parts posted:

texas isn't the south because culturally it's a ton different from alabama et all

reminder

Texas Declaration of Secession posted:

...maintaining and protecting the institution known as negro slavery--the servitude of the African to the white race within her limits--a relation that had existed from the first settlement of her wilderness by the white race, and which her people intended should exist in all future time....

...[the Northern states hold an] unnatural feeling of hostility to these Southern States and their beneficent and patriarchal system of African slavery, proclaiming the debasing doctrine of the equality of all men, irrespective of race or color--a doctrine at war with nature, in opposition to the experience of mankind, and in violation of the plainest revelations of the Divine Law...

...We hold as undeniable truths that the governments of the various States, and of the confederacy itself, were established exclusively by the white race, for themselves and their posterity; that the African race had no agency in their establishment; that they were rightfully held and regarded as an inferior and dependent race, and in that condition only could their existence in this country be rendered beneficial or tolerable....

...That in this free government all white men are and of right ought to be entitled to equal civil and political rights; that the servitude of the African race, as existing in these States, is mutually beneficial to both bond and free, and is abundantly authorized and justified by the experience of mankind, and the revealed will of the Almighty Creator, as recognized by all Christian nations; while the destruction of the existing relations between the two races, as advocated by our sectional enemies, would bring inevitable calamities upon both and desolation upon the fifteen slave-holding States....

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

note i said "is" and not "was"

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Texas succeeded from Mexico over the desire of white texas residents to own people, so it shouldn't come as a shock.

cowboy bullshit is just marketing. east Texas is full of the worst kind of southern "culture" shared with Louisiana and Arkansas. the Dallas and Houston suburbs are also packed to the gills with white flight conservative shitheads afraid of urban people coming into their cul-de-sac.

I mean I live in Austin and about the best I can say is that it isn't as openly racist as south carolina. so loving white here though.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

kalstrams posted:

confederate flag is also used by separatists in ukraine

also, the batman logo

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

computer parts posted:

similarly, louisiana isn't really the south either but no one really disputes that

lol

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

it's fun to call the people who crow about southern pride "traitors"

also correct.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

computer parts posted:

seceded from the union because of slaves? welcome to The South

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

duTrieux. posted:

seceded from the union because of slaves? welcome to The South

people like to include missouri as part of the south too though

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
if texas isn't the south then i move that it be considered an honorary part of the midwest, just like northern louisiana

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

computer parts posted:

people like to include missouri as part of the south too though

missourah

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

if texas isn't the south then i move that it be considered an honorary part of the midwest, just like northern louisiana

the midwest is apparently literally everything that's not touching an ocean so why not

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

Shifty Pony posted:

Texas succeeded from Mexico over the desire of white texas residents to own people, so it shouldn't come as a shock.

cowboy bullshit is just marketing. east Texas is full of the worst kind of southern "culture" shared with Louisiana and Arkansas. the Dallas and Houston suburbs are also packed to the gills with white flight conservative shitheads afraid of urban people coming into their cul-de-sac.

I mean I live in Austin and about the best I can say is that it isn't as openly racist as south carolina. so loving white here though.

give everything east of i-35 to louisiana, it is where it belongs

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
central california: also the midwest

it's hot flat and filled with farmers and racism - checks out 2 me

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

computer parts posted:

the midwest is apparently literally everything that's not touching an ocean so why not

yeah i was blown away to discover oklahoma considers themselves midwest.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
PA is where the Midwest starts

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
its mid because its in the middle of the country, and west because its west of the coast.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
how is chicago the midwest

that one's really weird to me it's basically in canada

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

the midwest is everything between the appalachians and rockies that doesn't touch the gulf from what I can tell :shrug:

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Sniep posted:

yeah i was blown away to discover oklahoma considers themselves midwest.

or great plains. More properly KS-OK-NE-MO and points north, that's all great plains.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Broken Machine posted:

or great plains. More properly KS-OK-NE-MO and points north, that's all great plains.

great plains is a subset of midwest

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

how is chicago the midwest

that one's really weird to me it's basically in canada

i always thought the midwest was everything around the great lakes and the states touching those ones

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Munkeymon posted:

the midwest is everything between the appalachians and rockies that doesn't touch the gulf from what I can tell :shrug:

former midwesterner checking in

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
they all need to label and sublabel themselves because those places are otherwise completely devoid of their own culture beyond "general americana" and notable foodcrimes

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Munkeymon posted:

pretty much

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

they all need to label and sublabel themselves because those places are otherwise completely devoid of their own culture beyond "general americana" and notable foodcrimes

there's like 2 or 3 decent cities in the whole midwest and the rest is terrible

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

as a reminder

the union jack:

the stars and bars:

one of the confederate battle flag

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

keyboard vomit posted:

there's like 2 or 3 decent cities in the whole midwest and the rest is terrible

it's hilarious when they try to dredge up some food that's traditional to their little shitheap locality

their desperation to be unique in some way is the best thing

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
minnesota apparently had a debate about whether we should continue to consider ourself part of the midwest still

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

central california: also the midwest

it's hot flat and filled with farmers and racism - checks out 2 me
most of the white population of the central valley is descended from okies who relocated here because of the dust bowl

and if you get more than 30 miles away from a body of water in california you are pretty much in kentucky, culturally and politically

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

[img-garbageplate]

i'm not sure what's more disturbing, the fact that he made it, or the fact that he took a picture and showed it to us

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

it's hilarious when they try to dredge up some food that's traditional to their little shitheap locality

fried cheese curds are the most midwestern thing ever but also the best bar food in existence

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

come on now how you be so dismissive of such storied contributions to culinary history such as

quote:

Several national restaurant chains, such as Buca di Beppo, Famous Dave's and the now defunct Chi-Chi's started in the Twin Cities. Buffalo Wild Wings, Dairy Queen, KarmelKorn Shoppes, Old Country Buffet, Orange Julius and T.G.I. Friday's (a division of Carlson Companies) are also well known chains headquartered in the Twin Cities.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

im the article claiming authority about midwestern food without mention of hot dish like green bean casserole

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

the midwest is where midwesterners come from, not the other way around

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

As a Millennial I posted:

[img-garbageplate]

i'm not sure what's more disturbing, the fact that he made it, or the fact that he took a picture and showed it to us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

is that a diarrhea over potatoes?

• Locked thread