Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
it's unfortunate that the runner is good at talking cause im real interested to hear what this couch has to say

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

Merv Burger posted:

There would be no way Necrodancer would go over estimate, since it made the incentive for Bard, which means the run would be no longer than 5 minutes, as long as you don't die.

Guess what happened... :(

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Vakal posted:

Rom carrying on the proud Uyama tradition.

I'm sure this event is such a logistical and technical nightmare that Rom and Uyama are basically having heart palpitations every time there's any kind of deviation from what's on paper. I can understand it.

Lloyd Van Buren
Feb 19, 2010

FESTIVE PEOPLE!

Merv Burger posted:

There would be no way Necrodancer would go over estimate, since it made the incentive for Bard, which means the run would be no longer than 5 minutes, as long as you don't die.

It was two runs and there was like 4 deaths so went like 25 mins. Also it took about 20 mins to get it working.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Merv Burger posted:

He didn't use the bard though.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Naegleria sleepin in the back.

EDIT: Anyone know why Mike's not running it this year?

Ravus
Jan 15, 2009

Golden Goat posted:

He didn't use the bard though.

He did, it was just a bonus run after the normal run.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
So what happened to Medibot being an announcer? I don't see him on the schedule anymore.

Cerebulon
Mar 29, 2010

Destroyer of Worlds*
(*No worlds were harmed in the making of this title.)

He did a two full runs at Candance (Died at the final boss the first time) and one as Bard and still didn't go over estimate. There was a bit of setup delay for it but most of the delay was Morrowind not cooperating with being streamed for a very long time and crashing a lot during setup. That game hates even being screenshotted.
And The Binding of Issac race waiting like 10 minutes for the second guy to finish and then failing.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

mango sentinel posted:

He's been pretty sick with mono for a while. :(

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I feel BoI has one more shot at GDQ via Rebirth, but I'm not holding my breath.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

mango sentinel posted:

Mono

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I don't play my Genesis often and forget how, uh, great the soundchip is.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Tracula posted:

So what happened to Medibot being an announcer? I don't see him on the schedule anymore.

He was on for Rocket Knight Adventures and Sparkster I believe. I saw parts of Sparkster and heard him, the VOD should be up on that YouTube channel posted a few posts ago. And Twitch of course.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

LordNat posted:

Peaches, Blueglass, and Blechy on stream.
Calling best run of the stream right now.

This is not a bad run but noooooot even close

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i was asleep but i'm assuming binding of isaac was a trainwreck this year again because it's still a poo poo speedgame for a marathon

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Rorus Raz posted:

I feel BoI has one more shot at GDQ via Rebirth, but I'm not holding my breath.

At least with Rebirth they have the option of using a seed that would give perfect speedrun items, but it would also make it like 5 minutes long and completely pointless.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

Binding of Isaac was a race that didn't use seeds. Other runner went way, way over estimate because bad rng and bad plays.

edit: i think the run went like 20 mins over estimate?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Vakal posted:

At least with Rebirth they have the option of using a seed that would give perfect speedrun items, but it would also make it like 5 minutes long and completely pointless.

It's almost like Binding of Isaac isn't a good game for speed running. hmm.

Lloyd Van Buren
Feb 19, 2010

FESTIVE PEOPLE!
Yeah he finished like 12 minutes after the winner.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Mr E posted:

Had both the Genesis and SNES growing up and vastly preferred the SNES because of the sound. It's a shame because there are a lot of Genesis games that seem pretty cool but then that means you need to listen to them.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Tracula posted:

By announcer, do you mean the donation caller/turtle beach buzzword delivery mechanism? If so, am I reading this right and there's a schedule for who's up for that? Where can I find it, I keep hearing voices I recognise but can't put a name to.

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

Mr E posted:

Most American/Western games aren't the best measurement for what it can do. Konami makes it sounds a lot better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2KkLzn_gZE

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Cubey posted:

Had both the Genesis and SNES growing up and vastly preferred the SNES because of the sound. It's a shame because there are a lot of Genesis games that seem pretty cool but then that means you need to listen to them.

There's this prevailing sentiment these days that the Genesis had better music because it sounds louder and grungier and the SNES sounds kind of muffled and swimmy by comparison. It's true to a point but it doesn't help when 90% of Genesis soundtracks just sound like a choir of monkeys playing bass while farting

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Tracula posted:

He was one earlier in the marathon. He's not staying at the venue, and I think the area has turned into a snowy hellscape so he might not be able to physically get there to do it more at this point in time.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Kid Chameleon is a cool game and this is a solid run but this music is so goddamn grating after a while.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Lord Chumley posted:

Most American/Western games aren't the best measurement for what it can do. Konami makes it sounds a lot better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2KkLzn_gZE

True, but most games sound like bass filled farts.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Vakal posted:

Don't even need that. Just give a generous estimate and play a safe character like Isaac or Azael to minimize RNG hurting you.

There is absolutely no way to make races not boring to a general audience. Just have a fairly quick solo run with some fun item combos. It also doesn't help that they decided to bring BoI back to GDQ right when the remake released and made the original look even worse.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
After all the peaches hype I kinda suspected the dude to be really loud and obnoxious, but this dude actually seems pretty chill :monocle:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Hakkesshu posted:

There's this prevailing sentiment these days that the Genesis had better music because it sounds louder and grungier and the SNES sounds kind of muffled and swimmy by comparison. It's true to a point but it doesn't help when 90% of Genesis soundtracks just sound like a choir of monkeys playing bass while farting

There are certainly excellent-sounding Genesis games, like the Sonic games for example (Sonic 2 is one of my favorite game soundtracks ever), but put very simply, a lot of good games for both consoles don't have great music. With the SNES, it's inoffensive at worst, but with the Genesis it's a real goddamn problem in a lot of otherwise interesting games.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Your Computer posted:

After all the peaches hype I kinda suspected the dude to be really loud and obnoxious, but this dude actually seems pretty chill :monocle:

He also plays cool and fun games

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Wait, they played Vanilla Isaac? Why wouldn't you just use Rebirth and agree on a manageable seed for a race? Maybe one that gave workable items, nothing unusable or overpowered? With Rebirth out, there's no reason to let RNG dictate a race.

That seems, uh, dumb.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Wow, 15 seconds off WR

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
That was a cool run

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

Cubey posted:

There are certainly excellent-sounding Genesis games, like the Sonic games for example (Sonic 2 is one of my favorite game soundtracks ever), but put very simply, a lot of good games for both consoles don't have great music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqPX5J5xyqc

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Soul Glo posted:

Wait, they played Vanilla Isaac? Why wouldn't you just use Rebirth and agree on a manageable seed for a race? Maybe one that gave workable items, nothing unusable or overpowered? With Rebirth out, there's no reason to let RNG dictate a race.

That seems, uh, dumb.

Cause when the schedule was finalized the game wasn't yet out. Unknown why they didn't agree on a seed but doing unseeded runs was what they were comfortable with (there's a surprisingly large group that do runs like that, even for money) so I guess they didn't want to diverge.

Lloyd Van Buren
Feb 19, 2010

FESTIVE PEOPLE!
Peaches is so good

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Soul Glo posted:

That seems, uh, dumb.

Rebirth came out in November, runs were submitted for this event by like September.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

oh hey speaking of good sonic music

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Oh hey a lil' sprite of Mark Cerny. I love seeing big industry names popping up in old games.

• Locked thread