Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Looks like I'm an officer in 7 different York Rite bodies now :stare: It's gonna be a busy year!

The two that matter are Sovereign Master in the AMD and Generalissimo in the Commandery. Next year I get to be Commander, yay!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Out of curiosity I was wondering if you might have access to passed member lists.

My family tells me my great-grandfather was pretty high up in the temple in Alexandria Virginia but I am unable to find any records to confirm or deny the claims. We're talking way high up in that big rear end temple. I don't suppose you know if there is a way to find out if Robert Goods was ever a member?

Bunk Rogers fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Nov 28, 2014

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Flashing my onyx masonic ring at 5 cent wing n trivia night at Dinglers Sports Bar - Ozma
Call the grand lodge in your jurisdiction. They should be able to help you.

https://grandlodgeofvirginia.org/

Lovable Luciferian fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Nov 28, 2014

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Bunk Rogers posted:

Out of curiosity I was wondering if you might have access to passed member lists.

My family tells me my great-grandfather was pretty high up in the temple in Alexandria Virginia but I am unable to find any records to confirm or deny the claims. We're talking way high up in that big rear end temple. I don't suppose you know if there is a way to find out if Robert Goods was ever a member?

Contact the relevant jurisdiction or ask the Temple itself - my understanding is that many of the larger temples in the States are divided between many lodges, and this is also the case here in Australia, so you'll need to know which one to ask or, if you don't, ask one Lodge to pass it along to the others meeting there - if they can check their attendance books, minutes, etc for the period he would have been a member in. We receive a lot of such requests at our small Lodge here.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
I'm meeting a man tomorrow to get my lodge petition. However, I'm about to leave the country for a study abroad program. Is it worth it to apply now, when I'm going to be overseas for five months?

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Old Dirty Cumburgs posted:

I'm meeting a man tomorrow to get my lodge petition. However, I'm about to leave the country for a study abroad program. Is it worth it to apply now, when I'm going to be overseas for five months?

The process here takes about six months of vetting and proposals, so as long as you can make a couple of interviews or do Skype, I'd say yes.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

I have a UK friend living in Long Beach, california and is looking at a lodge to join. Any goons here from that area that can be a point of contact? I live in Europe myself, so I was hoping a Br over there can chime in.

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Flashing my onyx masonic ring at 5 cent wing n trivia night at Dinglers Sports Bar - Ozma

Keetron posted:

I have a UK friend living in Long Beach, california and is looking at a lodge to join. Any goons here from that area that can be a point of contact? I live in Europe myself, so I was hoping a Br over there can chime in.

I live about an hour and a half away from Long Beach (Northern San Diego County)

Send me a PM if you need me to do anything.

Lovable Luciferian fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Dec 10, 2014

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Hey thread.

I approached a member and told him I was interested in joining, and next week my wife and I have been invited to the installation of officers at Nebraska Lincoln Lodge 300. I'm excited but nervous.

1. I am ridiculously shy.
2. I have a past misdemeanor from 2001.

Assuming I can get over #1, is #2 going to kill my odds dead in the water? How deep is the background check? Am I likely to get blackballed for a combination of 1-2?

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer

Beerdeer posted:

Hey thread.

I approached a member and told him I was interested in joining, and next week my wife and I have been invited to the installation of officers at Nebraska Lincoln Lodge 300. I'm excited but nervous.

Assuming I can get over #1, is #2 going to kill my odds dead in the water? How deep is the background check? Am I likely to get blackballed for a combination of 1-2?

1 - That will be countered in time, honestly. You are entering a social circle of men with many different backgrounds but a number of common interests. They are (on the whole) usually very welcoming and understanding. Don't worry about it, honestly.

2 - If it is fully, openly declared then you should be fine, depending upon the incident. Over here (scotland) it wouldn't disqualify you outright, so long as it was declared upon application / at the committee of enquiry.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
1 shouldn't be too much a problem, you're going to be brought out that shell sooner or later. Shyness is overcome with brotherhood.

2 shouldn't be a problem, either, unless Nebraska is ridiculously strict, or you try to hide it. Just tell them honestly about it if you're asked, and if you're not asked offer it if they ask about your ~~~shady past~~~. Misdemeanors are jerk crimes, not bad person crimes, usually.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Beerdeer posted:

Hey thread.

Most of the new brothers we get are a bit shy. You will learn to be a fine public speaker if you're in for long, I can tell you that much.

Re 2. What was the misdemeanour? If there is a solid explanation for it, it is unlikely from my experience and knowledge to be problematic, especially as it is 14 years ago. People make stupid mistakes in youth, and masonry recognizes that.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Loomer posted:

Most of the new brothers we get are a bit shy. You will learn to be a fine public speaker if you're in for long, I can tell you that much.

Re 2. What was the misdemeanour? If there is a solid explanation for it, it is unlikely from my experience and knowledge to be problematic, especially as it is 14 years ago. People make stupid mistakes in youth, and masonry recognizes that.

The official conviction is for Disorderly Person. I did some dumb stuff at a fraternity party in college. I cop to it though. (Had to for my job)

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

I personally don't feel that reflects at all on your moral character, and I'm sure 99.99% of masons would agree.

Straithate
Sep 11, 2001

Bow before the might of the Clarkson!
It has been a long time since I was involved in any investigating committee stuff but I'm not even sure applicants are even asked about anything but felonies - at least here in Ohio.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
I'm feeling a lot better then. Now I just need to keep my wits on next Thursday.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

We're not the drat cia, you'll be fine. Don't stress about it.

lord1234
Oct 1, 2008

Emron posted:

We're not the drat cia, you'll be fine. Don't stress about it.

Why are you lying to the man?

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
I only fear the Goats in Black.

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

OK Goon Masons, whats a good Mason related gift? My buddy joined a local lodge a little while back and found a great compass and purpose in his life he had been missing. I can tell he loves his lodge and what Freemasonry stands for so I want to get him something as a late gift for his installment as an officer in his lodge.

Tell me Masons, whats a good Mason related gift I can get my bud that you would of liked to get yourself?

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Langolas posted:

Tell me Masons, whats a good Mason related gift I can get my bud that you would of liked to get yourself?

One of my buddies asking for an application?

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Beerdeer posted:

The official conviction is for Disorderly Person. I did some dumb stuff at a fraternity party in college. I cop to it though. (Had to for my job)

If that stuff would prevent you from joining, I guess half the order is effectively kicked out myself included.

And a great gift would be a personalised MM ring.

Edit: Sub Rosa :glomp:

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Langolas posted:

OK Goon Masons, whats a good Mason related gift? My buddy joined a local lodge a little while back and found a great compass and purpose in his life he had been missing. I can tell he loves his lodge and what Freemasonry stands for so I want to get him something as a late gift for his installment as an officer in his lodge.

It really depends what your friend is like. Here's something I'd never get for myself but would think it was neat if someone bought it for me:

http://www.freemasonstore.com/Masonic-Apron-Cases/c227_84/p17353/Masonic-Apron-Cases/product_info.html#.VK5wXzHF94c

Edit: something like that anyway. On closer inspection that might be junk.

Lovable Luciferian fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Jan 8, 2015

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

Sub Rosa posted:

One of my buddies asking for an application?

I'm pretty sure he would love that but I already decided its not the right time. I have my Great Grandpa's Masonic sword mounted on my wall here at my home that we've been passing down in his honor. I just don't have the time commitment to give and I'm flaky in general. My dad and his brothers are the ones that broke the chain in our family for being Masons. I remember as a kid riding with the Shriners in local parades since they were all my Grandpa's buddies from the local lodge.

Got some ideas on the links, thanks for the responses all. Now I begin the task of reading through this thread completely because I'm still intrigued by the Masons in general. I've got a LOT of family history tied into Freemasonry.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Beerdeer posted:

Then you're probably fine.

Langolas posted:

Discreet cufflinks (subtle designs that are masonic but not blatant or showy - eg a subdued engraving of the square abd compasses in a matte material - are best IMO. Masonry, while a thing to be proud of, is also not something to loudly and ostentatiously display. I'm looking at you, huge masonic tattoos and watches!) or a good case for his apron. Here in Australia, the case is especially important as we actually take our aprons to lodge and so they must be duly safeguarded and protected in transit.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Some time ago, on the 22nd of July 2011, Anders Breivik killed a total of 77 people in Norway. During this time he was a Master Mason under the Grand Lodge of Norway and in this way Masonry took a hit. Of course, Masons all around the world said "This is no way to behave as a Mason" and he was kicked out of the order as soon as the news got around. Still, the self-identification of Breivik as a Mason at the time of the shooting cannot be denied and I people in my surroundings asked me questions about this.

Less then a week ago, on the 7th of January 2015, two men who identified as Muslims killed 12 people at Charlie Hebdo, a satirical magazine in France. Another gunman took hostages in a supermarket, in the town of Porte de Vincennes. Muslims around the world said "That is no way for a true Muslim to behave." and they are ousted by many. Still, they self-identified as Muslims and continued to do so until they were killed.

Next time you look at any man or woman that could be Arabian and wonder if they are Muslim terrorists, remember Breivik who was one of us.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Keetron posted:

Next time you look at any man or woman that could be Arabian and wonder if they are Muslim terrorists, remember Breivik who was one of us.

To be honest, I'm not getting what you're trying to say with this sentence.

Also, interesting to note that two of the journalists killed in the Charlie Hebdo shootings were Masons - Bernard Maris in Roger Leray Lodge in Paris, and Michel Renaud in Lux Perpetue Lodge in Clermont Ferrand.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
They were Masons, although not as recognized by most people in this thread. Those lodges are Grand Orient, which is not recognized by UGLE.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

COOL CORN posted:

To be honest, I'm not getting what you're trying to say with this sentence.

The wording is poor.
I mean that this week I suddenly understood the really strange "but he is not one of us" feeling of anger, fear and utter defeat that Muslims across the world must feel.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Last night I attended the installation of officers for Liberty Lodge 300, Lincoln NE. They had a past WM from the Grand Lodge of Nebraska presiding. My thoughts:

Building was beautiful. Could use a tad of rehab, but still.

Everyone was super friendly. Lots of handshakes and introductions.

I started filling out my application last night. I was kind of surprised I was urged to do so as early as that.

It was super cool to see the fancy chairs fill up.

I just need to get my sponsor to sign off, then it's the waiting game until mid-February.

Beerdeer fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jan 16, 2015

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer

Beerdeer posted:

Last night I attended the installation of officers for Liberty Lodge 300, Lincoln NE. They had a past WM from the Grand Lodge of Nebraska presiding. My thoughts:

Building was beautiful. Could use a tad of rehab, but still.

Everyone was super friendly. Lots of handshakes and introductions.

I started filling out my application last night. I was kind of surprised I was urged to do so as early as that.

It was super cool to see the fancy chairs fill up.

I just need to get my sponsor to sign off, then it's the waiting game until mid-February.

I'm pleased you have had a positive experience. Don't be afraid to ask questions from your sponsor(s) or in thread, though do keep in mind that there are some things which we can't really go into yet for obvious reasons.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

For instance, most things involving the event we like to refer to as "The Quickening."

Aureus
Nov 20, 2006

For the non California Masons I figure I'll throw up this link for an event most people who read this thread will probably be interested in. http://www.freemason.org/newsEvents/article.htm?id=10723

quote:

On March 21, the Institute for Masonic Studies will join UCLA’s history department to present our Fourth International Conference: Secrets Revealed! Freemasonry and the Conspiracy Theories It Evokes.

Join an international panel of renowned Masonic scholars in exploring the minds of conspiracy theorists: Delve into the psychology behind conspiracy theories to learn how they are formed and why they endure. Find out how Anti-Masonic culture has affected Freemasonry throughout the ages and around the world. Learn how conspiracy theories continue to impact our fraternity today.

And they're going to be doing a webcast, so thats nice.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Change of plans at my lodge. I am now going in as our inner guard. At this rate they'll have me in as a warden next year.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Not even an EA yet and already this is paying off...

My sponsor, who sits in the cube next to me, bought pizza for lunch :D

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Beerdeer posted:

Well, did you accept the pizza?

Guys! He ate the Triangle!

I bet it had goat cheese on it. Well, it was nice having you here and I am sure one of us will have you over for dinner soon...

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
My youngest (he's not quite 3) saw the icon for this thread on my computer and said "Gravity Falls!"

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Beerdeer posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persephone

popejackson
Aug 21, 2013
This thread is awful long and I didn't read through all of it. Can someone give me a quick answer on how I can begin the process to join? Do I just show up to a meeting and introduce myself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Contact your local lodge's secretary and express interest if you can. If not, try the Grand Lodge of your state or territory.

You can turn up at a meeting but you will not be allowed into the Lodge. My best friend actually joined a while ago that way - turned up and hanged around before the meeting, asked one of the brothers if he was a mason and how he could join.