Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grayly Squirrel
Apr 10, 2008

A page or two late, but all of this talk about how Obama ran in 2008 as a strong liberal always makes me chuckle.

There was so much projection and wishful thinking about candadite Obama by the left.

Go back and read the speeches. He ran as a moderate compromisor who would unite the country after 8 years of hyper partisanship and fear mongering.

"There are no Red States or Blue States, there is the United States, of America"

Even "Yes we can"was all about this idea that the People, writ large, could come together and make government work again.

It shaped the entire Republican strategy to oppose him. Straight out of the Rove playbook, Republicans took his strength and discredited it. They refused to unite and compromise and framed Obama as an overreaching liberal.

The Obama coalition in 2008 consisted of minorities, well educated liberals, and white blue color types who voted for Bush in 2000 and 2004 but were fed up with Bush and GOP partisanship and scared about the economy. By refusing to work with Obama, the GOP drove a wedge between the liberals and the moderates. Obama could either continue to try "compromise", antagonizing the liberal wing, or fight back, and lose the moderates.

The choice to pursue the "moderates" is easy to understand in the context of a two party system. Dem leadership assumed that while liberals might get mad, they wouldn't lose their votes. But if they antogonized the moderate Bush voters, they would go back to the GOP.

It turned out the Dem establishment was half right. Liberals wouldn't vote for Republicans instead, but they wouldn't vote for Dems either. They would just stay home. Hence 2010.

Liberals who thought Obama was one of them were just seeing what they wanted to see and hearing what they wanted to hear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Grayly Squirrel posted:

It shaped the entire Republican strategy to oppose him. Straight out of the Rove playbook, Republicans took his strength and discredited it. They refused to unite and compromise and framed Obama as an overreaching liberal.

I agree with the rest of your post but this, this was always going to be their strategy because it's been their strategy for dealing with every Dem president/candidate since Clinton.

It fires up their base and demoralizes the left. But what could Obama do about it? As long as the left is a small fraction of the overall electorate Dems are going to keep chasing the middle.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Fried Chicken posted:

Also, apparently the man rides a rascal to get around

I'm honestly shocked he's not borne on a sedan chair by four large black porters with white gloves.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Grayly Squirrel posted:

A page or two late, but all of this talk about how Obama ran in 2008 as a strong liberal always makes me chuckle.

There was so much projection and wishful thinking about candadite Obama by the left.

Go back and read the speeches. He ran as a moderate compromisor who would unite the country after 8 years of hyper partisanship and fear mongering.

"There are no Red States or Blue States, there is the United States, of America"

Even "Yes we can"was all about this idea that the People, writ large, could come together and make government work again.

The Obama coalition in 2008 consisted of minorities, well educated liberals, and white blue color types who voted for Bush in 2000 and 2004 but were fed up with Bush and GOP partisanship and scared about the economy. By refusing to work with Obama, the GOP drove a wedge between the liberals and the moderates. Obama could either continue to try "compromise", antagonizing the liberal wing, or fight back, and lose the moderates.

The choice to pursue the "moderates" is easy to understand in the context of a two party system. Dem leadership assumed that while liberals might get mad, they wouldn't lose their votes. But if they antogonized the moderate Bush voters, they would go back to the GOP.

It turned out the Dem establishment was half right. Liberals wouldn't vote for Republicans instead, but they wouldn't vote for Dems either. They would just stay home. Hence 2010.

Liberals who thought Obama was one of them were just seeing what they wanted to see and hearing what they wanted to hear.

More to the point, they saw Obama's background as driving him towards more liberal policy choices than Hillary, which may well have been true.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Family Values posted:

As long as the left is a small fraction of the overall electorate Dems are going to keep chasing the middle.

That's true as long as America has First-Past-the-Post elections. A party seeking to win control cannot be as extreme as their most extreme wing. A majoritarian party must moderate itself to be successful.

TheLoquid
Nov 5, 2008

copper rose petal posted:

Or the two in LV who shot and killed two cops, draped their bodies in Gadsden flag and a manifesto with swastikas on it, but they were democrats because they "got kicked out of the Bundy ranch".

Wait what? Can I get a link for this story?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Or the two in LV who shot and killed two cops, draped their bodies in Gadsden flag and a manifesto with swastikas on it, but they were democrats because they "got kicked out of the Bundy ranch".

A lot of people seem to be incapable of distinguishing "a stupid person said a dumb thing to try to spin something" with "normal people actually believed that dumb thing" and this post is a prime example of it.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

amanasleep posted:

More to the point, they saw Obama's background as driving him towards more liberal policy choices than Hillary, which may well have been true.

This, and the post you quoted, are what every single D&Der who voted for Obama believed (including me). Egg on our faces, eh?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

evilweasel posted:

...as they should, at this point in time.

When someone tries to bomb the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, it isn't because they opened up the yellow pages and flipped to a random page.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

This, and the post you quoted, are what every single D&Der who voted for Obama believed (including me). Egg on our faces, eh?

The alternative case, where Hillary wins the presidency in 2008 and goes on to be more liberal than Obama, has yet to be convincingly argued IMO.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Phone posted:

When someone tries to bomb the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, it isn't because they opened up the yellow pages and flipped to a random page.

I have no problem with you saying that this was almost certainly racially motivated. I agree. But you're not the FBI spokesman speaking to the media who should be extremely cautious in general about any sort of public speculation and it is entirely appropriate for the FBI to not be commenting on motive publicly even though I'm sure that's what they believe as well.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Fried Chicken posted:

and the Capitol Grille as in the restaurant inside the capital building in Washington DC.

It's actually a few blocks away.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

amanasleep posted:

The alternative case, where Hillary wins the presidency in 2008 and goes on to be more liberal than Obama, has yet to be convincingly argued IMO.

What if she would have been slightly less liberal but more effective?

Would we accept a less liberal ACA in exchange for Grassley's energy bill passing too?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

evilweasel posted:

I have no problem with you saying that this was almost certainly racially motivated. I agree. But you're not the FBI spokesman speaking to the media who should be extremely cautious in general about any sort of public speculation and it is entirely appropriate for the FBI to not be commenting on motive publicly even though I'm sure that's what they believe as well.

Oh yeah, I understand the need for professional organizations to be careful and calculated with what they're saying; however, it's completely analogous to someone asking if the sun rises in the east and sets in the west and the FBI spokesperson going "I can't comment on that right now". There are some things people and organizations should be able to call a spade: Bombing an NAACP office? Organizations like the FBI shouldn't have to put on the kid gloves and beat around the bush.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

evilweasel posted:

They upgraded it now to "an act of domestic terrorism is certainly one possibility"

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2015/01/07/naacp-explosion-colorado-terror/21385711/

Grayly Squirrel
Apr 10, 2008

amanasleep posted:

That's called seeing what you want to see and hearing what you want to hear.

To straw man:

"Yeah the words coming out of his mouth might be centrist platitudes, but he is a Ivy Leauge educated black guy with a community organizing background. He must be a secret progressive. He is just saying what he needs to say to get votes, but once he's in he will be a true liberal champion."

"nth demensional chess" became a byword in D&D. The projecting and wishful thinking was so hard and fast that people believed things totally contrary to the actual words coming out Obama's mouth because there just had to be some secret liberal strategy behind it all.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
If only those dumbass kids would vote, maybe the Democrats would cater t...

Oh wait, I guess I'm full of poo poo. Turns out today's youth don't vote because nobody caters to anything that's remotely important to them.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Grayly Squirrel posted:

That's called seeing what you want to see and hearing what you want to hear.

To straw man:

"Yeah the words coming out of his mouth might be centrist platitudes, but he is a Ivy Leauge educated black guy with a community organizing background. He must be a secret progressive. He is just saying what he needs to say to get votes, but once he's in he will be a true liberal champion."

"nth demensional chess" became a byword in D&D. The projecting and wishful thinking was so hard and fast that people believed things totally contrary to the actual words coming out Obama's mouth because there just had to be some secret liberal strategy behind it all.

The biggest mantra I remember in the early days was along the lines of "He's a constitutional law professor!

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Grayly Squirrel posted:

"nth dimensional chess" also applies to the seemingly unending own-goals that the Obama administration as a whole undertook. It took a while for a lot of us, myself included, to admit that the Obama administration sucked at politics as much as it has. It just seemed so unbelievable the number of stupid greasing the wheels poo poo they hosed up.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Radbot posted:

If only those dumbass kids would vote, maybe the Democrats would cater t...

Oh wait, I guess I'm full of poo poo. Turns out today's youth don't vote because nobody caters to anything that's remotely important to them.

I don't know what you think that chart's saying but it's not.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

computer parts posted:

It's a good refuting of "those durn kids these days!"

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Phone posted:

Oh yeah, I understand the need for professional organizations to be careful and calculated with what they're saying; however, it's completely analogous to someone asking if the sun rises in the east and sets in the west and the FBI spokesperson going "I can't comment on that right now". There are some things people and organizations should be able to call a spade: Bombing an NAACP office? Organizations like the FBI shouldn't have to put on the kid gloves and beat around the bush.

I mean, 99 times out of 100 it's going to be an act of racial terrorism but that one other time it's some idiot who mixed up the buildings, or his ex works there. And that mistake when you're the FBI spokesman gets magnified into discrediting the organization.

When the evidence is that it was an NAACP office and that's it so far, everyone else can connect the dots: you need the FBI to connect the dots for people once there's additional information the FBI has turned up. You don't need the FBI to tell you what it means that the bomb was outside an NAACP office and so it's much better that the FBI sticks to making whatever internal assumptions it thinks are helpful, while only making public statements about what the facts uncovered from the investigation are. It's not like this is some conspiracy, it's the FBI being institutionally cautious which is a good thing.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

computer parts posted:

I think the chart's saying that youth vote turnout, at least for presidential elections, hasn't significantly changed in 30+ years and so is unlikely the cause for Dems not catering to them.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Radbot posted:

I think the chart's saying that youth vote turnout, at least for presidential elections, hasn't significantly changed in 30+ years and so is unlikely the cause for Dems not catering to them.

You drew the conclusion that youth don't vote "because nobody caters to anything that's remotely important to them" which sure as hell isn't supported by the chart. In fact it supports exactly the opposite, because the youth vote being relatively steady over time means that it's likely not affected by if politicians cater to them or not.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Welp, Obama says he will veto the Save American Workers Act.

Why won't you save America's workers Obama? :911:

Also the White House may veto the Hire More Heroes Act, which just passed 412-0 in the house, but might just sign it anyway if the Senate can't kill it.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Relentlessboredomm posted:

In case you didn't see it yet:

Its so perfectly Joe.

Joe should just go full Wooderson at this point.

"That's what I love about these senator's daughters, man. I keep getting older, they stay the same age"

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

evilweasel posted:

You drew the conclusion that youth don't vote "because nobody caters to anything that's remotely important to them" which sure as hell isn't supported by the chart. In fact it supports exactly the opposite, because the youth vote being relatively steady over time means that it's likely not affected by if politicians cater to them or not.

That's what I loving said:

quote:

hasn't significantly changed in 30+ years and so [voter turnout] is unlikely the cause for Dems not catering to them.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Welp, Obama says he will veto the Save American Workers Act.

Why won't you save America's workers Obama? :911:

Also the White House may veto the Hire More Heroes Act, which just passed 412-0 in the house, but might just sign it anyway if the Senate can't kill it.

Does this "name the bill literally the opposite of what it does" trick even work?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

^
It worked for the ACA :v:

Radbot posted:

That's what I loving said:

But you're just strawmaning, no one is arguing that "if only more youth voted for the president, the democratic party would more cater to the youth."

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Trabisnikof posted:

^

But you're just strawmaning, no one is arguing that "if only more youth voted for the president, the democratic party would more cater to the youth."

Try the last page:

uncurable mlady posted:
There isn't really a "youth vote", I'm not sure what any politician has to gain by pandering to people who don't even show the gently caress up.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Welp, Obama says he will veto the Save American Workers Act. Why won't you save America's workers Obama? :911:

Good, that change would strip coverage from 1 million people, make the bill cost $74 billion more (lost penalties), and incentivize hour cutbacks for people working 40 hours a week (44% of the population)

It would have made life worse for a lot of people, all so the GOP could then point to the ACA and say "look how it is making things worse!"

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Trabisnikof posted:

^

Premiums in many states are down and the cost curve for overall health care costs has been bent since it was passed. It wasn't a very effective on lowering costs (since its purpose was expand coverage, not lower costs) but it has done what it says on the tin.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Save are workers!!! Yeah that'll open up tons of 39hr/WK jobs due to current employees dying of easily curable disease.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:
And so it begins
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/01/07/1356098/-House-Republicans-attack-Social-Security-on-day-nbsp-one

quote:

What's a bigger priority for Republicans to attack even than Obamacare? Social Security. They proved it Tuesday when they included a new rule in their rules package governing the 114th Congress that will prevent it from authorizing what has been routine reallocations of funds between the two Social Security programs, the retirement fund and the disability program. Reallocating funds between the programs has been entirely non-controversial and routine—Congress has done it 11 times, from and to both programs when one needs shoring up. But now House Republicans want to end that, presumably with the aim of forcing a crisis in 2016, when Social Security trustees say the disability program will run short.

Rep. Tom Reed, R-N.Y., said he sponsored the provision in an effort to force Congress to find a long-term solution to the disability program's financial problems.

"By putting this rule into effect, we are sending a clear indication that we're not just going to allow the raid of retirement Social Security to be used to bail out the disability trust fund," Reed said. "We need real reform. This makes that real reform that much more likely."

Advocates for older Americans are warning that the rule could be used to help push through benefit cuts, especially since House Republicans have opposed raising taxes.

"It is difficult to believe that there is any purpose to this unprecedented change to House rules other than to cut benefits for Americans who have worked hard all their lives, paid into Social Security, and rely on their Social Security benefits, including disability, in order to survive," said Max Richtman, president of the National Committee to Preserve Social Security and Medicare.

That is solely the purpose. As the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities points out, retirement fund "would have only a tiny effect on the retirement program’s solvency." If a reallocation from the retirement fund isn't made in 2016, 11 million disabled workers, spouses and children will see their benefits cut by 19 percent. Those benefits are already spare, with the average disabled worker getting just $1,146 a month, less than $14,000 annually. The new rule says that the reallocation could happen, but only if it is included in a proposal that "improves the overall financial health of the combined Social Security Trust Funds."

Republicans are continuing their game of trying to pit seniors against disabled people, telling retirees that their own benefits are threatened by the disability program and giving them more political room to start chipping away at Social Security as a whole. Now they're trying to force that to happen before the next election.

Grayly Squirrel
Apr 10, 2008

Trabisnikof posted:

"nth dimensional chess" also applies to the seemingly unending own-goals that the Obama administration as a whole undertook. It took a while for a lot of us, myself included, to admit that the Obama administration sucked at politics as much as it has. It just seemed so unbelievable the number of stupid greasing the wheels poo poo they hosed up.

There was a lot of cognitive dissonance going on. When you volunteer for someone and vote for someone and advocate for someone you get invested. It's hard to admit that "your guy" isn't what you thought he was.

But I don't think Obama was especially bad at politics. It was a tough situation. Put yourself in that position. You have a three part coalition. Minorities, liberals and compromise hungry moderates. You are elected on a platform of unity and healing America. But the GOP refuses to work with you. What do you do?

At the time, the idea of "hey, let's just keep trying to compromise, we will look like the adults in the room, we make the moderates happy, and the liberals and the minorities will hold their nose and stick with us no matter what" wasn't a terrible idea. Its what all of the Very Serious People thought was best.

Hindsight is always 20/20 but knowing what you knew then, how would you have proceeded?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Another rule they put in is that fiscal notes on bills now have to include "economic impact" of legislation, which is highly subjective and economic forecasts beyond a couple of years are basically huge guesses, but hell let's make it that much easier to pass tax cuts.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

I never believed he was a radical, but I did and do still believe that he is personally more liberal than his administration overall. The problem is that the president is not as powerful as people believe/want to believe. He's at the top of a huge bureaucracy that has massive institutional inertia, and even at the top there are a lot of policy movers and shakers besides just him. I also think he was naive in thinking that he could be the adult in the room that would get the Reps to be sensible and compromise on things. I think he formed that attitude during his time in his state's legislature, but the federal level is a different ballgame.

The lame duck years will be interesting to watch.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Radbot posted:

Try the last page:

uncurable mlady posted:
There isn't really a "youth vote", I'm not sure what any politician has to gain by pandering to people who don't even show the gently caress up.

But you only posted about the president. Youth voters don't vote in congressional elections at anywhere near the same rate as the rest of the population. Youth vote is also down 10% since the 60s:

Grayly Squirrel posted:

There was a lot of cognitive dissonance going on. When you volunteer for someone and vote for someone and advocate for someone you get invested. It's hard to admit that "your guy" isn't what you thought he was.

But I don't think Obama was especially bad at politics. It was a tough situation. Put yourself in that position. You have a three part coalition. Minorities, liberals and compromise hungry moderates. You are elected on a platform of unity and healing America. But the GOP refuses to work with you. What do you do?

At the time, the idea of "hey, let's just keep trying to compromise, we will look like the adults in the room, we make the moderates happy, and the liberals and the minorities will hold their nose and stick with us no matter what" wasn't a terrible idea. Its what all of the Very Serious People thought was best.

Hindsight is always 20/20 but knowing what you knew then, how would you have proceeded?

I'm just talking about stupid little petty poo poo. Like forgetting to invite the home senators to meet pro-ball teams when they meet the president. The little things that are dumb but failing to do them make senators and representatives butt hurt.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Did that make the LVPD into a wartime police department?

Or is that something that only happens in contract disputes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm more disturbed by media narratives that refuse to label anything done by a white person as terrorism.

• Locked thread