Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

This made me laugh just because I imagined two people actually talking like that.

colonel_korn posted:

5 :pwn: (though the labels are really unnecessary)

Minus the labels, this is incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kakairo
Dec 5, 2005

In case of emergency, my ass can be used as a flotation device.

colonel_korn posted:

6 MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

This one is on Obama's PR team. They decide to tout the jobs created by the government bailout of GM and Chrysler by speaking at a Ford plant that's idled due to lack of demand for the Focus and Escape.

Man, 8 years behind the news desk really aged Hitler...

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Isn't Payne bankrolled by the auto industry? Shouldn't he be a huge fan of the bailout?

e: and of hybrids, which believe it or not, car companies really want people to buy?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Gabriel Pope posted:

Iconic features of elephants:
-Tapered, triangular snout
-Short, fin-like ears
-Small, uniform, pointy teeth
-Long, flexible fingers

Nailed it!

That's the point though? "Don't be scary" while simultaneously being a distorted monster.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

alnilam posted:

Isn't Payne bankrolled by the auto industry? Shouldn't he be a huge fan of the bailout?

Obama bad

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Gabriel Pope posted:

Iconic features of elephants:
-Tapered, triangular snout
-Short, fin-like ears
-Small, uniform, pointy teeth
-Long, flexible fingers

Nailed it!

Part of it is that Toles was using his usual stylized elephant as a starting point:

...and yeah when you start from there and then add more non-elephant elements you kind of end up with a weird Island-of-Doctor-Moreau abomination. TOM TOLES HAS GONE TOO FAR.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

most easily reinterpreted 2015, calling it now.

Vogon Poet
Jun 18, 2004

Someone bought me this custom title because they think I kick ass at Photoshop. They happen to be right.
No matter which party controls Congress, the GOP steadfastly refuses to compromise with Democrats. AGC.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Monaghan posted:

So former senator Who was in the KKK in the forties and deeply regretted is is the same as I guy who was a guest of honour for a notorious hate group ten years ago is the same. got it.

They will never stop reminding us that Southern Democrats were A Thing and acting like it's still happening or happened recently.

It's kind of like saying "Oh yeah, think we're racist now, huh?!? Well the 50's and 60's were real racist time in history, buddy!!"

Man, it's probably a bad idea to cast the thing you support as a monster and the person you hate as the good guy.

See:
Obama is just like Robin Hood, stealing from the rich to give to the poor!
Obama is like Santa Claus, giving gifts and good cheer to all, that bastard!!

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Monkey Fracas posted:

They will never stop reminding us that Southern Democrats were A Thing and acting like it's still happening or happened recently.

Bet you didn't know Lincoln was a Republican :smug:

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

alnilam posted:

e: and of hybrids, which believe it or not, car companies really want people to buy?
Payne is a manbaby fan of cars. Like I say in the index, he has space on his blog for reviewing cars, and I guess he's something of a purist and wants BIG SPEEDY MUSCLE CARS and not hybrid cars for hippy girls.

Like this is stuff he posts

Henry Payne posted:

After a week with the superstar, supercar BMW i8 (stay tuned for my review next Thursday), I am in withdrawal. Despondent. Needy. What can fill the void of a hybrid luxury sports car with 357 horsepower, 420 pound-feet of torque, and a body that would make Kate Upton jealous?

May I recommend the Volkswagen Golf GTI?

Not that the German hot hatch will make you forget the i8. It won’t. But the VW will remind you that you don’t have to spend $140,000 to get a thrill. At $30 grand – the average price of a new car – this fun-box will give a pricier BMW 3-series sedan fits.

Sure, the GTI doesn’t have the celebrity status of the i8, but it’s plenty sexy with its signature, 18-inch wheels. And as any tabloid star will tell you, celebrity can be exhausting. You can’t hide in an i8. Muscle cars wanted to challenge me. SUVs full of picture-snapping families sidled next to me. Street gawkers wanted to know its every detail.

Like beautiful people, beautiful cars come with paparazzi.

But they are often, like the i8, short on practical amenities like headroom, legroom, luggage room. Heck, the backseat inspiration of the i8 seemed to be my college clothes trunk. Purses have more room than the rear luggage compartment. The beauty of the GTI is that you can comfortably accommodate three friends and their baggage for a weekend Up North – and have a blast getting there on twisty Route 66.

Since the GTI washed up on our shores in 1983, it has inspired a whole segment of pocket rockets including the Ford Focus ST and Subaru WRX. GTI accounts for a whopping 50 percent of Golf sales and debuted its seventh generation this year – a spicy bratwurst I reviewed for you in June.

Not content with that firecracker, VW this fall added a performance package option — 10 more horsepower, more stopping power, more cornering power (and if that isn’t enough spice to curl your taste buds, the speed nerds at APR will sell you an engine chip upgrade worth another 100 ponies).

So I dragged my sullen, post-i8 depression into this randy rocket – and perked right up. Mrs. Payne thanks you, VW.

The GTI fits like a glove. Sure, the bolstered seats aren’t made from organic unicorn hide like the i8 — but they are leather nonetheless. The Autobahn-trim cabin comes with lux-like amenities — heated seats, leather steering wheel, voice-command audio – plus features the i8 lacks: A proper touch screen and 6 cup holders (proof that not all German makers are numb to the needs of car-dwelling Americans).

Stomp on the gas and . . . a twinge of i8 nostalgia returns. The 220 horsepower, 2.0-liter four banger hesitates before the turbo awakes. The i8′s 227 horse, 1.5-liter twin-turbo three would do the same were it not for its complimentary electric motor. Sigh, I do miss that instant, hybrid torque . . . but then the turbo cavalry arrives and the GTI explodes down the road like a bullet out of a rifle.

Approach a sharp bend and the big, fire-engine red, GTI –monogrammed brakes stick like glue. Electric steering is perfectly weighted. The short wheelbase rotates on a dime. This is front wheel drive? Where’s the push? Exit the corner. Back on the juice. Glorious.

And all this for just $34,000. Ditch the lighting package and opt for a stick (the only way to fly) and you’re under $30 grand. I could buy everyone in my family of four one for the price of an i8 – and have enough left over to buy a used ’13 for my sister for Christmas.

But aren’t steroid-fed athletes a maintenance nightmare? Actually, the quality experts at JD Power give it a Performance Award.

Except, ahem, for the water pump.

Every Golf owner knows their water pump is cursed. It’s the GTI’s Achilles Heel. My son drove his 2013 GTI to California this summer. Flattened the back seats. Got all his stuff in the hatch. The perfect cross-country car. His water pump failed on arrival in San Francisco (at least it has the courtesy of not failing in the middle of Death Valley).

So save for a water pump. And $1500 for the performance package. Or you can save another $10 grand for the next GTI upgrade: The Golf R400. Which VW will tease at the Los Angeles Auto Show next week. Which has all-wheel-drive. And (ahem) 394 horsepower. And a 3.9 second zero-60 time. That’s right. A 2.0-liter turbo V-dub with the same acceleration as a 6.2-liter Corvette C7.

Do I miss the BMW i8? The what?

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

I'll just leave this here.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Erenthal posted:

This is a Dees comic, only without the rampant anti-semitism.

4chan people edit his comics to include that.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Bad Reporter makes the pain go away.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

These are great

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Bad Reporter: Worst art, best jokes.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
It's weird that Hitler didn't bother to dye his mustache. Then again, we all know that liberal media are afraid to offend people by comparing them to Hitler, so Hitler was pretty safe.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Wales Grey posted:

I'm fairly certain Ramirez has never drawn a Martin B-12 for a political cartoon. In the cartoon you're thinking of, Ramirez drew a Boeing B-29 in exacting detail, even getting the arrangement of the glass panels on the nose correct. B-29s are what dropped the atomic bombs, B-10/12/13/14 is only really noteworthy for being the first mass-produced bomber the USAF used that was faster than contemporary USAF fighters. It didn't do much before being displaced by the B-17 and B-18, however.

I will agree that Ramirez is has a modicum of talent in rendering mechanical things, but his skills are overshadowed by his repugnant caricatures and repulsive politics.

I dunno, it's gotta have something going for the ugliest turret not attached to a British bomber.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

colonel_korn posted:

One more hot off the presses:

Robert Byrd renounced the Klan, apologized for his racism, and made it his life's work to help the less fortunate, including POC. He never demanded no-givesies-backsies bullshit, either, and considered Klan membership his original sin.

This wingnut idiot, when it came out he spoke at a David Duke front, first feigned ignorance, then equated it with speaking to the League of Women Voters.

Your false equivalent is trash. That you can't just come out and say what this guy did was wrong without b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but Democrats! makes you trash.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

I can't wait for the approximately zero cartoons about that incident we'll see from the usual suspects.

Hitler B. Natural
Feb 11, 2014

zoux posted:

Bad Reporter: Worst art

Joe Liccar.

Oh, and here's an article Ted Rall wrote for tomorrow's LA Times on the massacre. "Political cartooning is almost worth dying for."

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Hitler B. Natural posted:

Oh, and here's an article Ted Rall wrote for tomorrow's LA Times on the massacre. "Political cartooning is almost worth dying for."

Money where your mouth is, Ted :unsmigghh:

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Good to see that Ted Rall found another reason to talk about his favorite subject: himself

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

achillesforever6 posted:

When was Byrd apart of the KKK while being a Democrat? I bet it was the 50s and 60s!!!!

He started a chapter with ~150 other people in West Virginia in the 1940's, he also filibustered the 1964 Civil Rights Act and supported the War in Vietnam. Later on, he had a change of heart and regretted his time as a Dixiecrat.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Some Mohammed cartoons in honour of this dumb poo poo

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

frajaq posted:

I'm kinda curious why you're acting like a little poo poo like that
Maybe because my countrymen were assassinated in the middle of a european city because they dared to speak freely. If you don't have a problem with that, I don't know what to say tho

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
This isn't the first time something terrible happens in the world and someone in the thread says "oh god hated cartoonist is going to be so awful about it :smith:"

Kakairo
Dec 5, 2005

In case of emergency, my ass can be used as a flotation device.

Rorus Raz posted:

Payne is a manbaby fan of cars. Like I say in the index, he has space on his blog for reviewing cars, and I guess he's something of a purist and wants BIG SPEEDY MUSCLE CARS and not hybrid cars for hippy girls.

Holy poo poo, that is the worst car review drivel I have ever read, and I've been reading car magazines since I was 7. He makes Jalopnik sound witty.

Kakairo fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jan 7, 2015

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I know that Gary Larson has asked us politely not to post his cartoons on the internet but I think an exception can be made here. Does anyone know when this cartoon was published and if it caused any kind of controversy?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Kakairo posted:

Holy poo poo, that is the worst car review drivel I have ever read, and I've been reading car magazines since I was 7.

Didn't bother reading it until this post, but :agreed:

The goddamn Oatmeal's Tesla review was better than this, and that poo poo was awful too

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

zoux posted:

I know that Gary Larson has asked us politely not to post his cartoons on the internet but I think an exception can be made here. Does anyone know when this cartoon was published and if it caused any kind of controversy?
South Park had an episode featuring Mohammed and nobody gave a poo poo. It was only post-9/11 that this attitude stopped for whatever reason. I bet Larson got more mail asking him to explain the joke than "How dare you!"

some FUCKING LIAR
Sep 19, 2002

Fallen Rib

It's the NYPD flag.

Sandpuppy posted:

Depending on who you ask, the green is either a "sentimental police color" or honors the NYPD's Irish heritage in its formative years (Tammany Hall!)

It's pretty Irish.

Cf:

http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/flags/ie_irep.html#fenian

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

loquacius posted:

Didn't bother reading it until this post, but :agreed:

The goddamn Oatmeal's Tesla review was better than this, and that poo poo was awful too

I can't believe that drawing that stupid cartoon made enough money to buy an $80,000 electric car.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Rorus Raz posted:

South Park had an episode featuring Mohammed and nobody gave a poo poo.
Comedy Central's offices received bomb threats and the episode has been censored ever since. Ironically, as the episode was about how censorship is dumb.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

JT Jag posted:

Comedy Central's offices received bomb threats and the episode has been censored ever since. Ironically, as the episode was about how censorship is dumb.

Think he was referring to the one where Muhammed was part of a superhero team. Or was that one about censorship too? I thought it was about David Blaine starting a cult?

That was in the late 90s. But yeah post 9/11 I don't think they've aired it again have they?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Rorus Raz posted:

I used to live with a car enthusiast. Like this guy owns a forum dedicated to his favorite kind of car. I hung out with a lot of car guys and they all have this mentality. I've heard one person say it's better to drive fast and keep your engine revved high because it knocks the carbon out, meaning you'll spend less on maintenance, even if it means using more gas.

I remember looking up on a mazda car forum for ways to improve gas mileage for my mazda 6, the most popular comment was "open up your engine and dumb a bunch of poo poo in there because that's what you deserve for caring about fuel economy so much."

I hate car forums.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

JT Jag posted:

I believe he's referring to the Super Best Friends episode, where Muhammad, Jesus, Buddha and Seaman (he he he), were super heroes on a team together.

Not the family guy episode you are referencing.

Gravel Gravy posted:

Think he was referring to the one where Muhammed was part of a superhero team. Or was that one about censorship too? I thought it was about David Blaine starting a cult?

That was in the late 90s. But yeah post 9/11 I don't think they've aired it again have they?
Well poo poo beaten.....

But you are right, the super best friends had to stop David Blaine's cult, it had nothing to do with censorship unlike the family guy episode.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

What the hell is Gary Larson up to these days, anyways? He drew like one New Yorker cover and disappeared! I'm sure he had enough money to retire, but it's surprising to me that he doesn't sketch something every now and again. It's weird how private the successful cartoonists from the 90s are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Madmarker posted:

I believe he's referring to the Super Best Friends episode, where Muhammad, Jesus, Buddha and Seaman (he he he), were super heroes on a team together.

Not the family guy episode you are referencing.

Maybe the extremists only get really salty about it if it is intended to be disrespectful as opposed to just a caricature? I know that it's haram either way but maybe they let it slide if you aren't specifically trying to troll Muslims.

• Locked thread