Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Well, points for being cunning assholes I guess. I look forward to a Facebook feed about how this is the Dems fault, just like how it was when the Ryan budget hosed veterans retirement pay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Since Obama's perceived secret liberalism is a topic, it's worth remembering that Obama certainly seems to believe that SS solvency needs to be "fixed", and through cuts, which is essentially a right right bullshit line that has become de-facto centrist in the past decade.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Fried Chicken posted:

make the bill cost $74 billion more (lost penalties)

Is it lost penalties, or the cost of subsidies for people pushed onto the exchanges

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Wasn't someone asking about whether Christine O'Donnell a few pages back, in regards to whether she's had any scandal?

Welp

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/christine-o-donnell-campaign-donations-fec-lawsuit

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Zeitgueist posted:

Since Obama's perceived secret liberalism is a topic, it's worth remembering that Obama certainly seems to believe that SS solvency needs to be "fixed", and through cuts, which is essentially a right right bullshit line that has become de-facto centrist in the past decade.

Since somebody is bound to point out he also has supported payroll tax increases, I agree he has played both sides on this.

My point is that there's no reason to play more than one.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Serious question. Is Jeb good at politics?

I'm not seeing him having the presence of character of a Mitt Romney or anything.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Warcabbit posted:

I'm not seeing him having the presence of character of a Mitt Romney or anything.

The test to see if he is good or not will be his defense of his support of Common Core.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Unfortunately this is going to play well among retirees, who have been fed a consistent narrative that there's rampant disability fraud. E.g. this 60 Minutes report. (See also the Media Matters response).

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Family Values posted:

Unfortunately this is going to play well among retirees, who have been fed a consistent narrative that there's rampant disability fraud. E.g. this 60 Minutes report. (See also the Media Matters response).

I don't think so. Retirees live in constant fear of two things: somebody loving with Medicare and somebody loving with SS.

And Teenagers. Three things.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Grayly Squirrel posted:

There was a lot of cognitive dissonance going on. When you volunteer for someone and vote for someone and advocate for someone you get invested. It's hard to admit that "your guy" isn't what you thought he was.

But I don't think Obama was especially bad at politics. It was a tough situation. Put yourself in that position. You have a three part coalition. Minorities, liberals and compromise hungry moderates. You are elected on a platform of unity and healing America. But the GOP refuses to work with you. What do you do?

At the time, the idea of "hey, let's just keep trying to compromise, we will look like the adults in the room, we make the moderates happy, and the liberals and the minorities will hold their nose and stick with us no matter what" wasn't a terrible idea. Its what all of the Very Serious People thought was best.

Hindsight is always 20/20 but knowing what you knew then, how would you have proceeded?

God, this makes me mad.

Yeah, the Democratic leadership and the likes of Rahm Emmanuel literally called its base a bunch of crying children (and people continue to in this very thread) as they were told that the Republican Party of Karl Rove, Fox News, and the Koch Brothers would never compromise with them, but what're you going to do? It seemed good at the time.

This isn't hindsight is 20/20. There was never any indication that Obama would be accepted as the great uniter.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Warcabbit posted:

Well if we are comparing him to having the charisma of a stack of lumber then I guess things look good.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

zoux posted:

I don't think so. Retirees live in constant fear of two things: somebody loving with Medicare and somebody loving with SS.

And Teenagers. Three things.

They're framing it as 'layabout disability fraudsters are loving with your retirement check'.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Family Values posted:

They're framing it as 'layabout disability fraudsters are loving with your retirement check'.

You see, SS is going to run out of money tommorow/in 5 years/2034/75 years...

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Family Values posted:

I almost forgot about how much of a shithead Ira Glass is.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Grayly Squirrel posted:

There was a lot of cognitive dissonance going on. When you volunteer for someone and vote for someone and advocate for someone you get invested. It's hard to admit that "your guy" isn't what you thought he was.

But I don't think Obama was especially bad at politics. It was a tough situation. Put yourself in that position. You have a three part coalition. Minorities, liberals and compromise hungry moderates. You are elected on a platform of unity and healing America. But the GOP refuses to work with you. What do you do?

At the time, the idea of "hey, let's just keep trying to compromise, we will look like the adults in the room, we make the moderates happy, and the liberals and the minorities will hold their nose and stick with us no matter what" wasn't a terrible idea. Its what all of the Very Serious People thought was best.

Hindsight is always 20/20 but knowing what you knew then, how would you have proceeded?

And the Very Serious People are idiots and why the democratic party is flailing around like a drunken idiot.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The Very Serious People just don't give a poo poo about how their terrible policies affect people beyond keeping themselves in power or employed by people in power as long as The System keeps chugging along relatively steady.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Stultus Maximus posted:

I almost forgot about how much of a shithead Ira Glass is.

The This American Life guy?

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Trabisnikof posted:

But you only posted about the president. Youth voters don't vote in congressional elections at anywhere near the same rate as the rest of the population. Youth vote is also down 10% since the 60s:

So youth vote is declining at a slower rate than the general population? Is that what you intended to show?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Trabisnikof posted:

But you only posted about the president. Youth voters don't vote in congressional elections at anywhere near the same rate as the rest of the population. Youth vote is also down 10% since the 60s:

In fairness there's a mitigating factor which would reduce "eligible voter turnout" naturally.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Radbot posted:

That's what I loving said:

Uh I also directly quoted something you said, I think your original post was unclear :v: I think I agree with what I now understand your argument to be, which is that you can't blame youth turnout on if anyone is catering to them or not.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

You know the more I think about this the more pissed off I am. This and the ACA tweak. This is the poo poo that defines the Republican Party, and why I would happily dance a little jig if all of them got the Rapture they want. It isn't a policy decision to accomplish a public good. It isn't an efficiently tweak. It isn't even straight up principled opposition to something in the name of their beliefs in the role and responsibilities of the government. It is sabotage of something people depend on for the sole purpose of creating a talking point for their media outlets. That is the only loving purpose here. They want to address the employer mandate and disability pay? Great, let's have a big public debate on it. But this is just intentionally breaking poo poo so they can run against it and then roll back their change. The only loving point is to hurt people for a political gain. This poo poo is burning down the country because they will get to put their throne atop the ashes.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

If the Rapture happened I think most Republican politicians would still be around.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Family Values posted:

The This American Life guy?

Yeah, him. Icon of upper middle class liberalism, who lives with his audience in an incredible bourgeois pseudeointellectual bubble

quote:

Jill Abramson was fired.
I have no idea what you're talking about.

Jill Abramson got fired from the New York Times.
Okay. And she was who?

The executive editor.
Okay. I read the newspaper, but I live in my own little bubble. When did that happen?

Wednesday. And it's been a massive … the blogosphere is going wild.
I hate reading media news so I actively sort of — I'm not interested in someone getting fired. No disrespect to people that are, but I literally had no idea who she was, or that she got fired until this moment.

and created the entire Planet Money spinoff (with its intersecting stories about the SSDI "abuse") which is literally Wall Street shilling.

quote:

Lincoln Financial Group — a sponsor of the Planet Money hit piece on Social Security disability — is listed as one of the largest finance-insurance companies in America, with over $141 billion in assets (the holding company’s name is Lincoln National Group, but the public name is "Lincoln Financial Group"). One of its subsidiaries, Lincoln Financial Media, owns some 14 radio stations across America. The Philadelphia Eagles play at Lincoln Financial Field.

Among the products that Lincoln Financial Group sells is, you guessed it, disability insurance.

So unless it’s a complete coincidence that Lincoln Financial’s ads keep popping up as the Planet Money sponsor for the show about disability queens, it looks like once again, Planet Money, This American Life and NPR have the same "failure to communicate their conflict-of-interest and media corruption" problem that we wrote about last summer. They’ve done nothing to address the corruption in their editorial process. No one is holding Planet Money, This American Life or NPR accountable for clear conflict-of-interest.

And this is such an excellent summary of TAL, which is human interest stories for liberals who think they're too intelligent for human interest stories

The Onion posted:

"We've done it," said senior producer Julie Snyder, who was personally interviewed for a 2003 This American Life episode, "Going Eclectic," in which she described what it's like to be a bilingual member of the ACLU trained in kite-making by a Japanese stepfather. "There is not a single existential crisis or self-congratulatory epiphany that has been or could be experienced by a left-leaning agnostic that we have not exhaustively documented and grouped by theme."

Added Snyder, "We here at public radio couldn't be more pleased with ourselves."

Stultus Maximus fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jan 7, 2015

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

zoux posted:

If the Rapture happened I think most Republican politicians would still be around.

"Hey where'd Ron Paul go?!"

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

zoux posted:

If the Rapture occurred and was only to take up genuinely good people to Heaven, no one would notice the drop of 15 people from the world population.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Stultus Maximus posted:

and created the entire Planet Money spinoff (with its intersecting stories about the SSDI "abuse") which is literally Wall Street shilling.

Ugh Planet Money is such poo poo one of the main reasons i stopped listening to public radio.

That and the standard NPR

"Hey lets talk about Social Security. I have in the studio an expert on Social Security and also a paid Heritage Foundation shill, I will be giving them equal time unless the Heritage guy goes over, which I will be OK with"

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Radbot posted:

So youth vote is declining at a slower rate than the general population? Is that what you intended to show?

My point is that the youth always have voted at reduced rates to the overall population and thus have always been a lovely voting bloc to rely upon as a politician.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Trabisnikof posted:

My point is that the youth always have voted at reduced rates to the overall population and thus have always been a lovely voting bloc to rely upon as a politician.

And yet, Democrats used to cater to youth demands at least slightly more than they do now. Why was that, do you think?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Zeitgueist posted:

Ugh Planet Money is such poo poo one of the main reasons i stopped listening to public radio.

"Hey lets talk about Social Security. I have in the studio an expert on Social Security and also a paid Heritage Foundation shill, I will be giving them equal time unless the Heritage guy goes over, which I will be OK with"

Man though, Sunday after Thanksgiving there was this Latino guy on saying "Latinos make up 15% of the US population but you can count the number of Latino senators on one hand" and my dad was going ballistic, saying "SENATE PROPORTIONS DON'T HAVE TO BE PROPORTIONAL TO OVERALL POPULATION, HOW COULD NPR LET THIS GUY ON."

He literally believes that NPR is "very left-wing" even though it's all he listens to in the car.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Family Values posted:

This has certainly been the case in the UK. Also the great thing about using disabled people as a scapegoat is that they are about the least able to defend themselves of any group in society! Plus it gives great cover for people that political correctness gone mad has prevented from mocking disabled people in recent times.

ReV VAdAUL fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jan 7, 2015

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Radbot posted:

And yet, Democrats used to cater to youth demands at least slightly more than they do now. Why was that, do you think?

When did they and how?

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
That Planet Money piece was such a cold-blooded piece of poo poo hit piece. How loving hard is it to ask "Why are they doing this?" -> "Because there are no jobs where they live"? If I remember correctly they even used the world's tiredest cliche, job retraining (because diabetic, illiterate 50 year olds could totally be Node.js devs).

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Radbot posted:

Citation needed.

Or are you from an alternate reality where LBJ ended the war in Vietnam?

Edit: President McGovern did cater to the youth pretty hard, I forgot.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

He literally believes that NPR is "very left-wing" even though it's all he listens to in the car.

don't git me started on that Comminist News Network

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

computer parts posted:

When did they and how?

Well, to start, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claiborne_Pell - hell, even President Eisenhower (who I'm aware was a Republican) voiced his support for the 26th Amendment. You could also look to the '68 DNC to find a huge block of Democrats who supported the youth electorate (though obviously not the majority of Dems).

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Trabisnikof posted:

Citation needed.

Or are you from an alternate reality where LBJ ended the war in Vietnam?

Edit: President McGovern did cater to the youth pretty hard, I forgot.

I'm from that universe and the Soviet Union was so emboldened by American cowardice that the global revolution finally happened.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Man though, Sunday after Thanksgiving there was this Latino guy on saying "Latinos make up 15% of the US population but you can count the number of Latino senators on one hand" and my dad was going ballistic, saying "SENATE PROPORTIONS DON'T HAVE TO BE PROPORTIONAL TO OVERALL POPULATION, HOW COULD NPR LET THIS GUY ON."

lol congress is 80% white and 80% male.

What if that poo poo was 80% black women, people would freak the hell out.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Regardless on if young voters have historically voted more or less for the Democrats, it really should be on the small amount of people with actually political and economic power to make the first move and get voters enthused instead of waiting for a disorganized and disenfranchised mass to suddenly become a huge voting block out of nowhere and "earn" their right to be represented in government policy.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Radish posted:

Regardless on if young voters have historically voted more or less for the Democrats, it really should be on the small amount of people with actually political and economic power to make the first move and get voters enthused instead of waiting for a disorganized and disenfranchised mass to suddenly become a huge voting block out of nowhere and "earn" their right to be represented in government policy.

youth voters are generally not disenfranchised they just don't really care and have better things to do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Zeitgueist posted:

Also, NPR fired their opera host for participating in Occupy Wall Street due to "conflict of interest." An opera host. They still run Planet Money despite Adam Davidson taking large speaking fees from major financial institutions.

Oh and then there was the time Juan Williams went over to Fox and said that NPR has a minority problem. Liberals all rolled their eyes. Oh look, NPR cancelled their sole show that has minority viewpoints. Of course, Tavis Smiley bailed for PRI ten years earlier because NPR doesn't give a poo poo about non-upper middle class whites/

It's just too bad people think that all public radio is "NPR" because PRI is putting out much better material.

• Locked thread