Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Gibbo posted:

I'm not sure about Goldeneye.

I don't think there are major glitches in Goldeneye, but it's hard to tell because the run consists of staring at the ground the entire time. It's mostly execution and randomness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SWMadness
Jul 16, 2011

Excellent.

Dias posted:

A lot of beloved classics devolve into broken messes of coding if you apply enough pressure - Symphony of the Night (most Metroidvanias, really), Ocarina of Time, 2D Sonics...

The original Gameboy pokemon games have precisely zero memory protection, which is always fun. :science:

Really, once you figure out how to do direct memory manipulation in a game, there is not much else you can do to break it further.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

That run was fantastic, now I want a Donkey Kong 64 run, that game is ridiculously broken.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Brother Entropy posted:

That was just one of Robotnik's deadly speed-traps, definitely nothing buggy or out of the ordinary there.

I meant in Banjo Kazooie, re: Broken but not broken for speedrunning.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

That run was disgusting. :gonk: Ban this hot, steamy filth!

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
My childhood has been absolutely destroyed and I'm loving the hell out of it.
Now someone get Knuckles to win the next bidding war.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

so are they not doing tetris or what

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Those glitches owned. I kinda wish there was a second run of playing the game normally but eh :v:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

HGH posted:

Now someone get Knuckles to win the next bidding war.

If you want Poochie Knuckles to win a bidding war then donate for it.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Random Stranger posted:

If you want Poochie Knuckles to win a bidding war then donate for it.

Was he a donatable option? I thought it was just Sonic / Tails?

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Indecisive posted:

Got moved to prime time.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Dias posted:

A lot of beloved classics devolve into broken messes of coding if you apply enough pressure - Symphony of the Night (most Metroidvanias, really), Ocarina of Time, 2D Sonics...

Yeah, during that time it just wasn't feasible to do the sort of rigorous error-checking or memory protection that's so simple to do nowadays. Not when there was enough trouble as it is not having the game lag to death half the time.

SWMadness
Jul 16, 2011

Excellent.

Indecisive posted:

Tetris is on later this evening, schedule has it in about 6 hours, depending on how the speedruns in the meantime go.

Unfortunately, they decided to schedule it right when I'm working tonight, so guess I'll have to catch it on YouTube tomorrow. :sigh:

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Make sure to tune in for Tetris later if you can. It's going to be loving amazing.

snodig
Oct 5, 2014
Fell asleep after Fire Emblem. Any good runs since then?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Tracula posted:

Make sure to tune in for Tetris later if you can. It's going to be loving amazing.

it owns

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Always bet on footbigmike.

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

Gibbo posted:

Was he a donatable option? I thought it was just Sonic / Tails?
Sonic actually wasn't an option since he doesn't really have any tricks the other two characters can't do as well.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

snodig posted:

Fell asleep after Fire Emblem. Any good runs since then?

Morrowind, Rogue Legacy, Battletoads Arcade, Alien vs. Predator, Sonic 2, Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

The Kenster
Jun 21, 2013

First of all, that Clocktown could really use a floating celestial object of doom... With a face!
S3K becomes pure art when you see some of the crazy things that you can do within it. There's a big glitch showcase that was posted to youtube a few years back. My favorites are this beauty from Sandopolis and this bit that shoves the game through a blender.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Isn't the Advance series hugely overrated because they were the first 2D Sonics since S&K?

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

The Kenster posted:

S3K becomes pure art when you see some of the crazy things that you can do within it. There's a big glitch showcase that was posted to youtube a few years back. My favorites are this beauty from Sandopolis and this bit that shoves the game through a blender.

I was just about to post that. :argh:

e:

Rorus Raz posted:

Isn't the Advance series hugely overrated because they were the first 2D Sonics since S&K?

ADV 2 and 3 are garbage, Advance 1 is great.

snodig
Oct 5, 2014

RyokoTK posted:

Morrowind, Rogue Legacy, Battletoads Arcade, Alien vs. Predator, Sonic 2, Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

Glad to hear the Morrowind run was good. There's a lot of weird glitches in that game.

SWMadness
Jul 16, 2011

Excellent.

Rorus Raz posted:

Beats me, Sonic Advance 2 was really the first 2D sonic I had actually played when I was younger (Nintendo kid reporting in).

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
advance 2 is my jam

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner
I had Advance 2. It has too many unpredictable death-plunges and the on-the-run bossfights were boring.

Prenton fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jan 7, 2015

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

Rorus Raz posted:

I think the first one is only okay, but I hated Sonic Rush and everyone seems to love that game so what do I know.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Stink Terios posted:

ADV 2 and 3 are garbage, Advance 1 is great.

Advance 2 is not very good but Advance 3 is perfect so you take that back :colbert:

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
The Advance games kind of blow because they're Sonic games that punish you for playing as Sonic and kill you for going fast.

Really, this is why lots of Sonic games suck and why, like, only three or four of them are actually good.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Sonic Advance is the closest we'll ever get to Sonic the Hedgehog 4. It even uses the old invincible music.

F. Lobot fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jan 7, 2015

SWMadness
Jul 16, 2011

Excellent.
One thing I love about the races in these marathons is that the lead can change so quickly when you least expect it. It's exciting! :munch:

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax

F. Lobot posted:

Sonic Advance is the closest we'll ever get to Sonic the Hedgehog 4.

Please dont troll in this thread

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Super Jay Mann posted:

Advance 2 is not very good but Advance 3 is perfect so you take that back :colbert:

Advance 3 doesn't have levels, it has Escher nightmare mazes.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I really like Advance 2's final zone where Act 1 is you climbing through this giant rocket silo base and act 2 is after the ride takes you to a space station

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Which was the sonic game for the DS that used both screens together which made everything horrible disorientating due to the physical gap between the two?

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

This game was built on the source code of the Genesis games. What more could you ask for?

SWMadness
Jul 16, 2011

Excellent.

Vakal posted:

Which was the sonic game for the DS that used both screens together which made everything horrible disorientating?

Those were the Rush games.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

Do not even ask posted:

I think the first one is only okay, but I hated Sonic Rush and everyone seems to love that game so what do I know.

Everyone was just tricked by the Hideki Naganuma soundtrack.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Gibbo posted:

Pretty much any Rare game will crumble if stressed.

All the Dankey Kangs, Perfect Dark is "clip through wall, reach each objective, finish level", Banjo, I'm not sure about Goldeneye.

I only know of one clip-through-walls problem in all of Perfect Dark and GoldenEye, and that's the Defection glitch on the first level of PD. Both games are annoyingly solid on a technical level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax

F. Lobot posted:

This game was built on the source code of the Genesis games. What more could you ask for?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHZp0cDSmEI

• Locked thread