Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

R. Mute posted:

How are those excuses? Are you really demanding we ignore any type of context, any type of psychology, anything sociology taught us and just go 'must be the religion'? And then what? If we were to ignore basically everything and say that religion is to blame, then what? What do we do?

Kill all faithful, obviously.

I woke up today and the first thing I saw on my tablet was a guy on a sidewalk getting coldly executed. It wasn't the wakeup I was expecting. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

WoodrowSkillson posted:

No but really THIS time if I went and quoted hadiths and exodus and poo poo people would totally go "Oh, well, yes I guess you are right, the abrahamic religions are bad!" and not instead give a bunch of excuses based on how "well you do not understand it, no one actually believes this, etc etc." And then we would talk about how religions are not bound by their holy books and you cannot judge modern people by the books.

yes this is what i said for sure.

The last time this was brought up someone made the salient point that an extremists can point to one part of the book to justify their actions while a progressive could point to another to justify the opposite view, because it is contradictory as hell. People use it to justify their particular political agenda, what is your obsession with denying all context? Because the solution you've come up with with that philosophy, "well just stop being Muslim then" is absolutely loving useless.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Arkane posted:

It is almost like every location where significant Muslim populations exist, there have been incidences of terrorism. Weird. It can't be that Islam is to blame for attacks, because that is bigoted. So it must be some grand coincidence.

i know right

its almost like some populations of people are just morally degenerate filth

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

euphronius posted:

Are you saying that's a good thing?

God dammit, not this thread, too. In this case (in fact, in all cases) these guys not being able to get away into the general population WOULD BE A GOOD THING. Dial back the police hatred there for a minute and actually take a step back and acknowledge that in times like this they are necessary and useful.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Has it even been 24 hours?

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
Jihadists are a lot like nationalists - there's no God, and no such thing as the immutable volkgeist of the Czech people or whatever either - but its an ideology that allows its practitioners to resist really-existing, and even more rapacious and destructive forces like imperialism, colonialism, their modern variants, etc. People used to use other ideologies - ones I think correspond more closely with reality - to justify these resistances, but the movements behind those ideologies were systematically attacked and dismantled.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

NomChompsky posted:

Hasn't Mario party claimed enough innocent lives as it is?

The role SEAL team 6 played in Osama's death was minor in comparison to his buddy, who got really fed up when that fucker landed on chance time and stole his stars for the third time that game

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

R. Mute posted:

Leave? Leave what? Their faith? Why should they? Explain your logic there.

I have, multiple times. Yes, leave the organized religion and stop supporting it. Leave, or join a different one, or a better sect, or something. Right now, at this instant, there are lots of groups that are explicitly using islam as a justification and motivation for extreme amounts of violence.

I then used the political party analogy with the intent to liken it to a person growing up and leaving the GOP since they are bad, but I got called racist before that so the discussion moved on.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

Jihadists are a lot like nationalists - there's no God, and no such thing as the immutable volkgeist of the Czech people or whatever either - but its an ideology that allows its practitioners to resist really-existing, and even more rapacious and destructive forces like imperialism, colonialism, their modern variants, etc. People used to use other ideologies - ones I think correspond more closely with reality - to justify these resistances, but the movements behind those ideologies were systematically attacked and dismantled.

Yeah, I mean the Iranian Revolution has been whitewashed into Islamic terrorists taking control when it was about as diverse a revolution as you can hope for.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Why the gently caress did they show unedited clips of the execution of that officer on major news sites?

I've seen some poo poo, and that was extremely anguishing.

There was no warning or anything.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
If you want to get rid of Islamic extremism you probably need to do something about the Middle East being a complete unlivable mess.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Retail Slave posted:

God dammit, not this thread, too.

It's not a good thing that the French Police haven't caught the perps yet. Although I suspect there is a subset of the population here that is kind of rooting for them to get away because gently caress all police everywhere ever, amirite?

:lol: yes, we hate the cops so loving much we cheer when they get killed by terrorists. It's literally impossible to criticize the US police without also wanting them all to get murdered.

Does your mind just automatically turn the nuanced arguments you see into stupid strawmen?

E: Oh, nice stealth edit!

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

FourLeaf posted:

The last time this was brought up someone made the salient point that an extremists can point to one part of the book to justify their actions while a progressive could point to another to justify the opposite view, because it is contradictory as hell. People use it to justify their particular political agenda, what is your obsession with denying all context? Because the solution you've come up with with that philosophy, "well just stop being Muslim then" is absolutely loving useless.

It is probably useless, and we will have endless amounts of slaughter, murder, violence, and death to look forward too in this lovely world we have created.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

mobby_6kl posted:

Killing the driver would've been pointless or even counterproductive - they'd either have to drop the body there, thus alerting authorities anyway, or drive around with a corpse and have to deal with disposal later.

Also since there's still no information on where these guys came from or where they got the weapons, it's a bit premature to blame Central/Eastern Europe of this, I think.

I meant more that the driver would be the person who could tell the police the most reliably everything about identifying information of the car. Dropping a body wouldn't really put them any closer to finding them vis-a-vis leaving a guy who can say they stole my grey renault of this and that make with such and so license plate I would think.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Arkane posted:

Since you have stated it is not "credibly argued" then I suppose it is mere coincidence that there are massive Muslim attacks, using the same terrorist tactics where civilians are targeted,, in Chechnya/Moscow, Mumbai, Pakistan, southeast Asia, north Africa, Nigeria, and Sudan, to name a few. The list goes on.

It is almost like every location where significant Muslim populations exist, there have been incidences of terrorism. Weird. It can't be that Islam is to blame for attacks, because that is bigoted. So it must be some grand coincidence.

Considering that you've just thrown out any context for any of these events beyond 'they're Muslim' I guess it really is easy to act like something unique to Islam, but then, the Tamil tigers launched suicide bombings, there's plenty of Hindu terrorism in India directed against Muslims, the IRA almost assassinated the Prime Minister of the UK, the lord's resistance army has rampaged throughout central Africa, the Maronite Phalangists massacred thousands of civilians, isn't it Strange that they're made of Hindu/Christians/Atheists/Jedis?!

Why do you have all of the worst opinions?

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jan 7, 2015

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Vahakyla posted:

Why the gently caress did they show unedited clips of the execution of that officer on major news sites?

Americans need to see more death caused by the weapons they vomit out into the world, imo.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

WoodrowSkillson posted:

I have, multiple times. Yes, leave the organized religion and stop supporting it. Leave, or join a different one, or a better sect, or something. Right now, at this instant, there are lots of groups that are explicitly using islam as a justification and motivation for extreme amounts of violence.

if all religions are bad, what other sects or religion can someone join? that's a pretty lame catch 22 woodrow

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

WoodrowSkillson posted:

I then used the political party analogy with the intent to liken it to a person growing up and leaving the GOP since they are bad, but I got called racist before that so the discussion moved on.

That would literally just be denounced as Taqiyya.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

WoodrowSkillson posted:

I completely agree, and furthermore Americans should leave America if they don't fully support everything America has done, is doing, or ever will do. Same thing for citizens of every other country. I don't see why this is a loving stupid idea at all.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Vahakyla posted:

funny, most of my peers are being triggered by the deaths of cartoonists. they don't even care about the cops

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

pathetic little tramp posted:

Americans need to see more death caused by the weapons they vomit out into the world, imo.

But it was just a video on the frontpage, on top of the article of dudes shooting and then WHAM, executing a wounded cop.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Do you even understand what faith is?

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

FourLeaf posted:

:lol: yes, we hate the cops so loving much we cheer when they get killed by terrorists. It's literally impossible to criticize the US police without also wanting them all to get murdered.

Does your mind just automatically turn the nuanced arguments you see into stupid strawmen?

E: Oh, nice stealth edit!

To be fair, hang around in GBS for a month and there are people who feel exactly this way.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Also Nigel Farage literally talking about a 5th column. How I wish that plane crash had been fatal.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Popular Thug Drink posted:

funny, most of my peers are being triggered by the deaths of cartoonists. they don't even care about the cops

I didn't mean that as the cops life is somehow better than the cartoonist. We just don't have a video of the cartoonist being executed in the CNN frontpage.
I don't want CNN to be Liveleak, despite me understanding that there is violence in the world.

That video is extremely messed up, and I've seen people getting shot.
There is no reason to show that poo poo on the frontpage of a newspaper.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Retail Slave posted:

To be fair, hang around in GBS for a month and there are people who feel exactly this way.

please tell us where else on the forums people have opinions you don't like

i'll write them down

i'll make a list

Vahakyla posted:

I didn't mean that as the cops life is somehow better than the cartoonist. We just don't have a video of the cartoonist being executed in the CNN frontpage.
I don't want CNN to be Liveleak, despite me understanding that there is violence in the world.

That video is extremely messed up, and I've seen people getting shot.
There is no reason to show that poo poo on the frontpage of a newspaper.

yeah the free market owns

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

And yet we still find ways, even here in the West, to justify them. Let's be honest here, the only reason we don't see any sort of pro-West something terror attacks in whatever poo poo country is that we don't need to resort to those cheap tactics. We can topple governments at will. And most of the world has already bent over for us anyhow.

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

Orange Devil posted:

It's interesting to note that they did not kill nor attempt to kill the woman who opened the door for them, nor her daughter, nor the person whose car they jacked after ditching their own car. It seems to me the behaviour of people who carried out a targeted strike and are executing some kind of exit plan rather than shooting up as many people as they can before going out like martyrs, which is kind of odd to be honest, given the obsession with martyrdom radical Islamists tend to have. It seems to me that proceeding to kill as many random people they could after finishing their initial attack then standing their ground and killing as many police as they could before eventually being killed would have made an even bigger impact. The only explanations I can come to are either they want to get away alive somehow or they have another target they want to get to. At which point not killing the guy whose car you stole still doesn't make all that much sense to me.

This seems more like an assassination, than a "Terrorist" act.
(the finishing off the cop that was already down doesn't help my argument)

I guess you could say that killing people for printing a picture is an attempt to "Terrorize" other people that might want to print a picture in the future.

Didn't they let the guy get his dog out of the car they jacked.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Apparently a teacher from my college died in the attacks, crazy (didn't know him, he taught economics).

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

R. Mute posted:

Do you even understand what faith is?

Yes. Intimately.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

i'll write them down

i'll make a list

- Boston sports fans in SAS

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

pathetic little tramp posted:

Kalashnikovs?

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

....he said to someone on the forums who had an opinion he didn't like.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Durr, it must be nice being in charge of this gig, just have to say "arabs bad" so that when something bad happens you just have to sit back and get all the credit.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Yes. Intimately.
Then why are you comparing it to a political party? That's not what a religion is like to most people. It's not even comparable to an ideology. It's part of their identity, who they are. You don't change that because people kill in the name of what you also happen to believe in.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Retail Slave posted:

woah tiger keep the stunning revelations to a slow tempo the thread can't take it

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

These are the real winners from this. Right wing nativism.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Retail Slave posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXLDv-fUINM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Le Monde saying the attackers have been identified

• Locked thread