Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
http://wiiudaily.com/2015/01/japanese-sales-wii-u-outsells-playstation-4/

Wii U outsells PS4 for a week in Japan. Consoles in general aren't as big a thing there as they used to be but this is pretty big for the Wii U.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Narcissus1916 posted:

Adventures in 3d World's Miiverse.

Found a helpful Mii in world 5 that wrote "Everyone assumes Toad wears a diaper. I think its pants considering he doesn't have legs."

This is the first primarily single player game where internet integration hasn't made me want to punch the developers in the dick.

NSMBU has good miiverse integration too. There's something simple and nice about dying in a frustrating level and seeing "Dear Bowser: I HAT YOU" or a crudely drawn crying Mario pop up on your screen.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Tender Bender posted:

NSMBU has good miiverse integration too. There's something simple and nice about dying in a frustrating level and seeing "Dear Bowser: I HAT YOU" or a crudely drawn crying Mario pop up on your screen.

When I played it a couple months ago, there was a guy who would post challenges like "Get all 8 red coins in (specific level) as small Mario," and then ask for screenshots as proof. It was a good way to get a little bit more out of the game after 100%.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Tender Bender posted:

The best part of NSMBU is getting to see comments of little kids bitching and moaning about how hard the game is

"my stupid brother is making my loose all my lives!!!" - Tyler, age 12

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Miiverse is the dumbest best thing about this system that I miss when I play games on other systems / the PC. More of stupid drawings popping up when I play please.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Fremry posted:

When I played it a couple months ago, there was a guy who would post challenges like "Get all 8 red coins in (specific level) as small Mario," and then ask for screenshots as proof. It was a good way to get a little bit more out of the game after 100%.

One time one of the developers posted a competition thing seeing if anyone could beat New Super Luigi U without collecting any coins. There was no reward though (I know because I did it :c00lbert:)

It'd be cool if they did stuff like that more often though

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Neo Rasa posted:

Wii U outsells PS4 for a week in Japan. Consoles in general aren't as big a thing there as they used to be but this is pretty big for the Wii U.

Not really, it outsold PS4 most weeks in Japan from like July through September, it's nothing new.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

One thing I like about the WiiU Shovel Knight is the Miiverse integration. Miiverse is literally the best thing to ever happen to video games.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

Neo Rasa posted:

Out of curiosity, what is replacing console/handheld sales in Japan? Smartphone gaming? Or do Japanese people just not like to play games anymore?

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

irlZaphod posted:

One thing I like about the WiiU Shovel Knight is the Miiverse integration. Miiverse is literally the best thing to ever happen to video games.

Virtualcolorboy get a new forums name?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Devil Wears Wings posted:

Out of curiosity, what is replacing console/handheld sales in Japan? Smartphone gaming? Or do Japanese people just not like to play games anymore?

Smartphone gaming, yes. Mobile gaming is huge over there.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Handheld gaming has been way more popular in Japan since forever. Gotta play your DS on the train on the way to your soul crushing job that you need to work 100 hours a week

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Away all Goats posted:

3. Finally, can someone recommend me some good co-op Wii and Gamecube games I might have missed out on? Preferably ones I can just buy through the online store.

Thanks!

You'll have to get discs/controllers but good wii co-op games include Kirby's Epic Yarn, Return to Dreamland, Sin and Punishment, New Super Mario Bros Wii, Rayman Origins (though you should just get the wii u games in those two series), Donkey Kong Country Returns, Metal Slug Anthology, and Trauma Center maybe I don't remember which ones support it

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

irlZaphod posted:

I just got a Wii U a couple days ago, and the Miiverse integration in Super Mario 3D world (and I assume other games, but I've mostly just played that and Bayonetta 2) is like Nintendo took the soapstone messages from Dark Souls and expanded on them. The game would be perfectly playable without it, but it is really awesome.

Also, I found this whole community of people doing ridiculous fanart by, as far as I can tell, drawing on screenshots. It's hilarious deviantart-esque stuff, but it's definitely made the Wii U more fun.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
The Touhou fanbase shows, once again, that they can do just about whatever the heck they want.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Gammatron 64 posted:

Handheld gaming has been way more popular in Japan since forever. Gotta play your DS on the train on the way to your soul crushing job that you need to work 100 hours a week

Yup, part of it's because before the iPhone/Galaxy was out and everywhere, cell phones in Japan collectively were waaaay more powerful than what you'd normally get here. A lot of early DS games like Deep Labyrinth and Theresia as an example are straight ports of Japanese cell phone games from like 2000, even many Wii games like Calling, given their original age are pretty impressive when you think of how old they are and that they were running on a flip phone.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jan 8, 2015

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

I'd like to believe that this just means his parents were playing the game with him and kept throwing each other into pits :unsmith:

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

they were settling it in smash

All Frogs
Sep 18, 2014

Awesome! posted:

they were settling it in smash

The mom prefers Melee and the dad's a Brawl fan.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

All Frogs posted:

The mom prefers Melee and the dad's a Brawl fan.

The kid just wants to play Smash 4.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Dad is a loving loser.

All Frogs
Sep 18, 2014

ChaosArgate posted:

The kid just wants to play Smash 4.

His favorite characters are Toon Link, the Villager, and Greninja but he really wanted Captain Toad in the game.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Decided to get Captain Toad since I heard so much good stuff about it. Although I bought the digital version instead of a physical copy.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

noirstronaut posted:

Dad is a loving loser.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Can someone tell me what multiplayer in ZombiU is like? It's strangely not on co optimus.

Can you have oneplayer with the tablet and the other with the wii remote?

Away all Goats fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Jan 8, 2015

Gaffle
Aug 23, 2013

sWAg

Away all Goats posted:

Can someone tell me what multiplayer in ZombiU is like? It's strangely not on co optimus.

One player is the survivor and kills zombies and tries to take capture points. The gamepad player has a map of the level and spends resources to spawn zombies and also capture the points. It's pretty fun!

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Polo-Rican posted:

Booted up the 3DS version of Smash for the first time in many months and was saddened to realize that the stages are generally a lot better. Corneria-chan... :(

edit: Whoops thought this was the Smash thread

I disagree with you so, so hard. The 3DS version has like 3 stages that are not unplayable garbage, and everything has a dumb gimmick, and Also Corneria is a classic but actually kind of a lovely stage!

On the other hand I like the Kirby Dreamland 1 stage with the gameboy stuff even though it's terrible to play on because the gimmick is kind of funny. And I guess the Wii U really didn't need 2 mario circuits, but really the quality in the Wii U version is just much higher all around

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
Yeah, I kind of dislike the stage selection in 3DS Smash, the only thing it has over the Wii U version for me is a better Fire Emblem stage.

Ultigonio fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jan 8, 2015

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
Balloon Fight alone is probably the worst stage in all of Smash Brothers, and especially in the 3DS in which it's second only to Jungle Japes which escapes that spot for being the best worst stage, because the rushing rapids are hilarious. But the 3DS stages relied too much on gimmicks to make up for the small stage sizes, and you wind up with too many stages that aren't practical for particularly fair fights. Stages like Corneria are favorites on the 3DS just because the gimmicks aren't game changers like the Flying Men on Magicant or the Gold Coins on the New Super Mario Brothers stage, they're just somewhat amusing and slightly dangerous hazards.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Magicant would legitimately be the best stage in the 3DS version without Flying Men. As it is I think Ferox Arena is my favourite, but I like the F-Zero stage and Gaur Plains too. And Dreamland is best scrolling stage.

Still haven't played the Wii U game enough to judge most of the stages there but I do like big stages. And Temple is in so there's that.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

KennyMan666 posted:

Magicant would legitimately be the best stage in the 3DS version without Flying Men. As it is I think Ferox Arena is my favourite, but I like the F-Zero stage and Gaur Plains too. And Dreamland is best scrolling stage.

Still haven't played the Wii U game enough to judge most of the stages there but I do like big stages. And Temple is in so there's that.

The Wii U stages are good, and their gimmicks aren't too obnoxious or are fun enough that they're enjoyable, like Gamer. The worst stages are just the giant ones (sans Hyrule Temple) because...well, it feels like not a lot of effort went into their actual map layout.

Still, though, my most played stages are just the custom ones me and my friends made, especially because you can play them online. My friend has one of the best--a replica of the human digestive system, with a cannon that KOs you at the end.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Theta Zero posted:

Balloon Fight alone is probably the worst stage in all of Smash Brothers, and especially in the 3DS in which it's second only to Jungle Japes which escapes that spot for being the best worst stage, because the rushing rapids are hilarious. But the 3DS stages relied too much on gimmicks to make up for the small stage sizes, and you wind up with too many stages that aren't practical for particularly fair fights. Stages like Corneria are favorites on the 3DS just because the gimmicks aren't game changers like the Flying Men on Magicant or the Gold Coins on the New Super Mario Brothers stage, they're just somewhat amusing and slightly dangerous hazards.

It boggles my mind that anyone could think the 3ds stages were better. Almost every regular type stage on the 3ds is unplayable. The most egregious offender isn't even Balloon Fight, Magicant, F-Zero stage on crack or Wily's Castle's obstacles. The worst is how Balloon fight only loops horizontally for other players and as soon as you try to use that property it drops you into the void along the seam-line.

Seriously, everyone in the match has their own camera, lock it horizontally on the player model and program the stage in a different way. Its just sloppy

The only stages that piss me off from the Wii U version are Palutena's Temple and Great Cave Offensive, because they just scream at me: "Alpha stage builder that we determined was too complex for most of our player-base / too potentially exploitable for overflow glitches".

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Dear Nintendo

Please remove Cat Peach or Tanooki Mario from MK8 and replace them with Mummy Toad

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

BigRed0427 posted:

Decided to get Captain Toad since I heard so much good stuff about it. Although I bought the digital version instead of a physical copy.

Thanks for the update! :)

What do you think of it?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Help Im Alive posted:

Dear Nintendo

Please remove Cat Peach or Tanooki Mario from MK8 and replace them with Mummy Toad

I don't know if it's 3D Land Shadow Mario PTSD, or the contrast against everything else in Captain Toad that is So Cute, but mummy Toad legitimately scares the poo poo out of me.

Blizzy_Cow
Feb 27, 2006
When one burns one's bridges, what a wonderful fire it makes
Me and my wife are thinking of getting a Wii U with incomes taxes. Are there any games that we could play with our 4 year that she would be able to enjoy just smashing buttons and liking cute things?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Blizzy_Cow posted:

Me and my wife are thinking of getting a Wii U with incomes taxes. Are there any games that we could play with our 4 year that she would be able to enjoy just smashing buttons and liking cute things?

Rayman Legends is great four-player co-op platforming. It's very simple and colourful, and you can't actually die in a game-over-go-back-to-save-point manner unless all players are simultaneously dead. Individually you just turn into a bubble that other players can touch to revive you.

Scribblenauts is probably worth picking up too if you want something fun to teach your kid word definitions with. Plus it's fun watching a Big Polkadot Dinosaur attack Albert Einstein.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

They need to bring back Dry Bones and Birdo as DLC. Actually, I'm almost a little surprised they're not in it. Dry Bones owns bones. They are adding Dry Bowser though so that's cool. Also surprisingly, all the koopalings except for Bowser Jr. are in it as well.

Speaking of the koopalings, this game also desperately needs to get a Koopa Clown Car, although the airship car will do for them.

Also while I like Mario Kart 8 a lot, I'm kinda disappointed that Battle Mode uses the actual tracks and not specially designed courses like the block fort, etc.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

Blizzy_Cow posted:

My daughter is 4 and thinks nothing is finer than creating blocks for me to jump on in New super mario brother u. There's also that art application which she likes.

Captain Toad looks like a good bet too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
If she knows how to use a D-Pad she can probably play Nintendo Land with you guys; it has both coop and competitive games, which are pretty simple, but fun. I remember playing Mario at 5, so 4 is probably old enough for Nintendo Land.

Edit: Oh yes, Scribblenauts is a fun toy/game with the very pleasant side effect of teaching vocabulary (or opening a channel for you to teach your kids vocabulary)

• Locked thread