Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.
Thanks. Now i need to figure out what this enchanted coin is for.

By the way i went so far as to add MFR to the game so I could autofarm (then I found the Forestry autofarm but lmao figuring out forestry) so I'm not willing to NOT cheat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

McFrugal posted:

AFAIK all enviromine insanity does is make you hear weird noises.

Edit: Looks like Blast-Off is still pretty buggy. Wait before trying it. There's more than one crash, and there's one world-destroying crash from worldgen of all things.

The video I saw had hallucinations, nausea, and messed with your vision. Perhaps they were playing a different version?

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013

ToastyPotato posted:

The insanity feature looked completely and utterly unfun.

it is completely and utterly unfun

also somebody thought it was a good idea to include a battle music mod that plays a track when you have a hostile mob within a certain distance? It starts super loud and ignores your sound/music settings and the track begins with a super loud segment

the battle music does trigger on hallucinations, too

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference

Pidmon posted:

lmao figuring out forestry

Haha yeah, I understand the desire to make a farm that's not as simple as MFR but christ when I looked into what building a forestry farm takes I decided I would just rather do it by hand.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

No one but YOU.
How much complexity/load times will it add if I shove Pam's Harvestcraft and Ex Nihilo into ME^3? Main reason I got into it was because my lovely laptop was overheating to much for Agrarian Skies (and my inspiration for getting back into Minecraft was I got a book on numbers for Christmas talking about how a 112-length square can be split into 21 smaller irregular squares, and I wanted to make a massive automated farm out of smaller sized farms)

Anyway, just to get an idea of how much sand I dug up looking for that stupid sealed off tomb (and to show how unobvious it was, refer to the last pic) here's some screenshots (I replaced the entire inside of the lake segment block by block):

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I'm starting to understand how Pam's Harvestcraft can be useful/neat with all the random-rear end foodstuffs. The ability to turn buckets of milk/water into four jugs of milk/water just by placing them in the crafting window, and being able to filter water into salt, makes it way way less absurdly annoying than it seemed like it would be on the outset to make some of the more complicated foods. And being able to use certain vegetables and such as stand-ins for other things(turnips can be used to make food stock in place of bones, for example) means getting hearty meals isn't a once-a-week style thing. What a thoroughly detailed mod, I'm impressed.

Is there a way to edit the Life In The Woods modpack in the technic launcher or is it an all-or-nothing sort of deal? I want to remove the plants mod that only includes decorative plants, because gently caress that. I don't need literally hundreds/thousands of absolutely useless varieties of flowers and bamboo clogging up my inventory that can't even be used to make dyes or as fuel.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Captain Invictus posted:

I'm starting to understand how Pam's Harvestcraft can be useful/neat with all the random-rear end foodstuffs. The ability to turn buckets of milk/water into four jugs of milk/water just by placing them in the crafting window, and being able to filter water into salt, makes it way way less absurdly annoying than it seemed like it would be on the outset to make some of the more complicated foods. And being able to use certain vegetables and such as stand-ins for other things(turnips can be used to make food stock in place of bones, for example) means getting hearty meals isn't a once-a-week style thing. What a thoroughly detailed mod, I'm impressed.

I do think that Pam's could be trimmed down just a bit, but yeah, it's amazing.

Then again I'm a horrible person who loves searching for soy for the very first thing so I can have meat farms due to Soy being able to replace literally any meat. Yes, SOY BACON.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK
I decided I wanted to try this ME^3 that's been talked about recently, so I updated Technic Launcher, and it wouldn't load the pack, so I updated Java and it still won't. It just stops at "Installing Minecraft Assets" and this error is in the log:

code:
[B#211]  java.util.ConcurrentModificationException
[B#211]  	at java.util.ArrayList$Itr.checkForComodification(ArrayList.java:901)
[B#211]  	at java.util.ArrayList$Itr.remove(ArrayList.java:865)
[B#211]  	at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.Launch.launch(Launch.java:114)
[B#211]  	at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.Launch.main(Launch.java:27)
[B#211]  Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM warning: ignoring option MaxPermSize=256m; support was removed in 8.0

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I'm remembering why I gave up on modded minecraft. The packs are all made together but there's so much redundancy and if you pick the wrong one you are very limited in what you can do. Like the direwolf pack, I made thermal expansion machines and wanted to make a plant. Turns out I need ender IO conduits to be able to move RF because they didn't include the thermal dynamics mod or something. To make ender io conduits, I need to start over with my machines.

E: ^ To fix that I had to go and manually find java 7 64bit and replace the java 8.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jan 6, 2015

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

E: ^ To fix that I had to go and manually find java 7 64bit and replace the java 8.

What the gently caress why did that work.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

There are no thermal expansion ducts in 1.7.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Why not? Isn't the entire point of the mode to make stuff convenient? It's so euuuugh dealing with this stuff and these people. I'm not that far into the game and I spent quite a while making stuff only to find out I can't power it easily.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.
They decided that ducting needed a complete rewrite, and rather than delay the entire mod until they were ready (they're still not, because KL et al have lives and jobs and such), they broke them out into a separate module and released the machines standalone.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Why not? Isn't the entire point of the mode to make stuff convenient? It's so euuuugh dealing with this stuff and these people. I'm not that far into the game and I spent quite a while making stuff only to find out I can't power it easily.

They started re-writing them, then stopped. Chances are they're gone forever. EnderIO conduits are a lot better and more convenient anyway.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I guess that's fair enough if they can't do it because they are actual adults and have lives, my impressions of the minecraft community are all the 12 year olds who get really really really mad about people not liking adfly and the Gregtech dude being a gigantic sperg. Also nerds like the better than wolves dude and the guys who make those "companion" mods.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

I guess that's fair enough if they can't do it because they are actual adults and have lives, my impressions of the minecraft community are all the 12 year olds who get really really really mad about people not liking adfly and the Gregtech dude being a gigantic sperg. Also nerds like the better than wolves dude and the guys who make those "companion" mods.

This does a disservice to the very depressing reality that most of these people are adults engaged in childish drama on a daily basis.

I doubt teenagers have the time to devote to being as big of a whiney twat as most modders are, what with school and premartial sex and underage drinking.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Magmarashi posted:

This does a disservice to the very depressing reality that most of these people are adults engaged in childish drama on a daily basis.

I doubt teenagers have the time to devote to being as big of a whiney twat as most modders are, what with school and premartial sex and underage drinking.

Have you ever seen what a Minecraft convention looks like? These kids are not worrying about sex or drinking.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Taffer posted:

They started re-writing them, then stopped. Chances are they're gone forever. EnderIO conduits are a lot better and more convenient anyway.

Except this isn't true? They brought RWTema to work on them (who's posted frequent teasers showing off new stuff), and just yesterday Minalien started a play of MC with a dev/beta version of Thermal Dynamics. They're still coming, but like all CoFH projects, it takes a while.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

m2pt5 posted:

What the gently caress why did that work.

There are issues with minecraft running correctly on Java 8 so until a compatible version comes out you need to stick to Java 7

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
The issue is that some command line parameters were removed for java 8, so you can't increase permgen size anymore like that. I don't know if there's even a possible workaround or if large modpacks are just going to have to use java 7 forever.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

McFrugal posted:

The issue is that some command line parameters were removed for java 8, so you can't increase permgen size anymore like that. I don't know if there's even a possible workaround or if large modpacks are just going to have to use java 7 forever.

In the official launcher, you can edit the command line parameters; I don't know about any custom launchers.

Note that the permgen option is not present now because the permanent generation was removed entirely, and thus the need to tune it is also gone.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

McFrugal posted:

It's not related to that (Java 8 removed PermGen) and Java 8 works fine with up to date versions of Forge. The problem is that a Java 8 update fixed a bug/unintended behavior so now older versions of Forge (including all for 1.6.4) error out with Java 8 versions after update 11.

Someone wrote a fix for older versions of Forge, but running Java 8 update 11 is also a decent workaround if you play a lot of 1.6.4 modpacks.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference

I'm remembering why I gave up on modded minecraft. The packs are all made together but there's so much redundancy and if you pick the wrong one you are very limited in what you can do. Like the direwolf pack, I made thermal expansion machines and wanted to make a plant. Turns out I need ender IO conduits to be able to move RF because they didn't include the thermal dynamics mod or something. To make ender io conduits, I need to start over with my machines.

You just need an alloy smelter from Ender IO for conductive iron. It's not that hard of a recipe.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

No one but YOU.
How do you work MineChem? I wanted to shove Iron and Carbon onto a pickaxe I've been using and everywhere I search online is just saying "Put it in a crafting table together" but it doesn't do poo poo. Then something else I read said 'put it on a polytool' and I found this stupid shift-rightclick menu on the polytool I got from somewhere and you can't put anything onto it either.

I just want to be able to get Silk Touch and the Iron 'mines entire vein at once' effect without having to deal with Minecraft's lovely enchanting menu.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Pidmon posted:

How do you work MineChem? I wanted to shove Iron and Carbon onto a pickaxe I've been using and everywhere I search online is just saying "Put it in a crafting table together" but it doesn't do poo poo. Then something else I read said 'put it on a polytool' and I found this stupid shift-rightclick menu on the polytool I got from somewhere and you can't put anything onto it either.

I just want to be able to get Silk Touch and the Iron 'mines entire vein at once' effect without having to deal with Minecraft's lovely enchanting menu.

You need an entire stack of the element in question to put it on a polytool.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

EDIT: nm.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Playing Natural Magic, I found some kind of Shadow Scepter thing that causes a Fear effect or something and used it on a giant slime that spawned from a mystery block and crashed my game. Now I can no longer load that world. :negative:

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Edit: Never mind - figured it out. Java is stupid.

So if you haven't played modded Minecraft in a little over a year, but wanted to get back into it now, what's the current cool pack to play? I ran a server for myself and some friends a while back where we went back and forth between Big Dig and Hexxit.

I see the Technic launcher has some new official packs. Are TPPI or this B-Team one any good?

BCRock fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jan 7, 2015

greententacle
Apr 28, 2007

Mr Bubbles
I let modderation update, I get a crash to desktop if I play my old save. Starting a new world works.

Leafy Wall
Oct 12, 2011

greententacle posted:

I let modderation update, I get a crash to desktop if I play my old save. Starting a new world works.

I had the same problem. The only fix I could come up with was switching to the 1.7.10 Pack. :shrug:

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

No one but YOU.

Ariong posted:

You need an entire stack of the element in question to put it on a polytool.

Thanks! Looks like this is a pretty powerful weapon, can you set it up as a mining tool as well as a weapon at the same time or should I use one polytool for each task? Since I got 3 from one of the drives under the Biosphere.

Edit:

Oh my god I'm such an idiot, I have no idea how to fix these item ID conflicts I'm getting from trying to put Pam's Harvestcraft into the pack, here's the log from Pam's loading; and here's the Pam's config.

Pidmon fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Jan 7, 2015

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Pidmon posted:

Thanks! Looks like this is a pretty powerful weapon, can you set it up as a mining tool as well as a weapon at the same time or should I use one polytool for each task? Since I got 3 from one of the drives under the Biosphere.

Edit:

Oh my god I'm such an idiot, I have no idea how to fix these item ID conflicts I'm getting from trying to put Pam's Harvestcraft into the pack, here's the log from Pam's loading; and here's the Pam's config.

Change the id of whatever is 13001, 13002, 13003, 13004, 13005, 13006, 13007, 13008, 13009, 13020, 13021, 13022, 13027, 13028, 13029, 13030, 13031, 13032 and 13050. Use ctrl + f to find them in the pam config.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Pidmon posted:

Motherfucker! I've been sitting here spending eons (because gently caress trying to figure out forestry multifarms for tree farming) trying to craft one and gotten half a stack of nanotubes so far. Guess I'll have to go back into the biosphere and find that drive.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

No one but YOU.

taiyoko posted:

Motherfucker! I've been sitting here spending eons (because gently caress trying to figure out forestry multifarms for tree farming) trying to craft one and gotten half a stack of nanotubes so far. Guess I'll have to go back into the biosphere and find that drive.

It MAY have been from a reward bag as I'd just started working through Pay To Win? I've had to start over (figured it was easier to get the ID conflicts fixed that way) so if I don't get it this time I might not have 'em.

Speaking of, how do you guys end up doing your drives/power setup? Should I link my main power and drives to the set of columns in the main column, powered by a few different solar generators? Should I leave it separate because of their charge on the big ol' spatial drive?

Is there any set up to the periodic table in the monument already or are you meant to run cables down the outside and hook it up to your normal storage setup? Since I'm probably not going to fill up the main room full of grass again in this version.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy
Are there any 1.7.10 packs that aren't weirdly stuttery when loading chunks, or is that pretty much all of them? I was hoping the new Forge version in the Modderation update would fix it, but it's still pretty bad. I only play single player, if that matters.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Pidmon posted:

It MAY have been from a reward bag as I'd just started working through Pay To Win? I've had to start over (figured it was easier to get the ID conflicts fixed that way) so if I don't get it this time I might not have 'em.

Speaking of, how do you guys end up doing your drives/power setup? Should I link my main power and drives to the set of columns in the main column, powered by a few different solar generators? Should I leave it separate because of their charge on the big ol' spatial drive?

Is there any set up to the periodic table in the monument already or are you meant to run cables down the outside and hook it up to your normal storage setup? Since I'm probably not going to fill up the main room full of grass again in this version.

The main columns have more than enough cells on them to switch areas as many times as you'd realistically need. I wound up having my power generation linked up to two networks- one for storing minechem elements, the other for general storage. For most of my playthrough I just had a bunch of energy cells that I moved around to various machines; only towards the end did I bother setting up ender transmitter transfer nodes for wireless energy. Even that was irksome- you have to refresh the transmitter upgrade every time you load your world.

You basically have to run cables down to the monument if you want to get the storage monitors to display anything. All that's there are the monitors.

Oh, and a word of warning... the polytool may sound powerful but most of its abilities don't work right. For instance, the AOE elements hit you as well, and the lithium upgrade doesn't do anything at all.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

taiyoko posted:

When you hover over an ME drive, you can see how many bytes are full. most of them are empty, some have stuff inside. One has 3 polytools in it.

Pidmon posted:

There are elements that will increase the polytool's ability to do one thing by 8 points or two things by 4 points at the cost of reducing everything else by 2 points. I put every element that increased shovel speed on one polytool and cleared all of the sand out of Miner's Delight just because I could. Try putting "Ore: " in your NEI search bar. Honestly though, leaving everything at 8 is just fine. Element effects and minechem coatings will make up for any shortcomings as a weapon.

One more thing, don't put any AOE effects on your polytool! They affect you as well. ruined a really good enhanted polytool by making it wither, poison, and ignite me whenever I hit something with it.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

No one but YOU.
Thanks again. hosed around in the bedrock zone while watching Naked Gun before and found a couple of weird 128x128x128 drives that don't seem to do anything (one that's called Corrupted found at 0,0; another called R-38) when loaded (for a brief moment I thought I'd hosed up the power generation somehow by having my first solar generator pointing at the ME controller), dunno what's up with them?

But basically when I find the Polytools again I'm just gonna put the Beheading and +Sword -Everything Else onto one; +Shovel onto a second and +Pickaxe +Iron onto a third (since you have to make a fuckload of elemental Iron anyway for one of the quests). Can you colour them at all to differentiate them or are they just 'Keep them in slot X, Y, and Z and remember you dumbass'?

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
So I've got a bit of a weird problem with Biome IDs and I'm wondering if there's any way to fix it.

I'm running Highlands on my 1.7.10 Cauldron server and it had a stealth biome ID conflict with The Erebus. The conflict comes about not with the configurable biome IDs, but with the unconfigurable, undocumented sub-biome IDs used by the Erebus, which are all the Base Biome IDs+128, putting them squarely into the range that Highlands is using. Instead of doing anything truly cool (or like, crashing due to the conflict), this just manages to make Erebus biomes show up in the overworld where mobs don't spawn. The biggest issue is that one of them replaced the Steppe biome which seems to be super common, so there are huge tracts of land where mobs simply don't spawn. It's just boring. The terrain is correct, ore generation is fine, and even surface features appear to be correct (I'm not seeing any Erebus-specific plants, only overworld ones, and overworld-only structures do spawn), but the lack of mobs is pretty boring. There aren't even giant bugs.

I tried changing the Biome IDs, but it seems that Forge is being smart about those now, too; when I restarted the server after making the change, my base's biome remained Elysian Fields when it should have turned into a Steppe, so I assume that the Biome/ID relationships are stored in the world data itself, like item and block IDs are now, meaning the config isn't doing poo poo.

Is there any way for me to just get the world to accept/force the new Biome ID configs, or am I SOL unless I delete the world entirely and start over? It's not too big of a deal I guess, since there are far more biomes that have no conflicts than those that do, but now that I'm aware of the problem it's just pissing me off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help

greententacle posted:

I'm also crashing after updating, and it looks like it's continued bad behaviour between Ender IO conduits and Mekanism machines. Even in a brand-new world, if you put down a Mekanism machine and connect a conduit to it, crash.
code:
[B#211]  [14:43:11] [Server thread/ERROR]: Encountered an unexpected exception
[B#211]  java.lang.IncompatibleClassChangeError: Class mekanism.common.tile.TileEntityCrusher does not implement the
          requested interface cofh.api.energy.IEnergyReceiver
[B#211]     at crazypants.enderio.power.EnergyReceiverPI.canConduitConnect(EnergyReceiverPI.java:22) ~[EnergyReceiverPI.class:?]
[B#211]     at crazypants.enderio.conduit.power.PowerConduit.canConnectToExternal(PowerConduit.java:424) ~[PowerConduit.class:?]
[B#211]     at crazypants.enderio.conduit.AbstractConduit.onAddedToBundle(AbstractConduit.java:471) ~[AbstractConduit.class:?]
etc...

• Locked thread