Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

WMH's tournament scenarios make deployment A Big Deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Thirsty Dog posted:

WMH's tournament scenarios make deployment A Big Deal.

Really? Skimish games always seem to allow stuff to get away much more easily in a way that games with block formations and more stringent movement restrictions just don't. I'm not a Warmachine expert by any means, but didn't the scenario rules just do stuff to draw people in closer to each other, i.e. the muddle in the middle stuff that lots of skirmish games have going on? I remember something about some sort of constant shrinking box or similar.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

rkajdi posted:

Really? Skimish games always seem to allow stuff to get away much more easily in a way that games with block formations and more stringent movement restrictions just don't. I'm not a Warmachine expert by any means, but didn't the scenario rules just do stuff to draw people in closer to each other, i.e. the muddle in the middle stuff that lots of skirmish games have going on? I remember something about some sort of constant shrinking box or similar.

Sure, but with a smaller play area and terrain that can significantly inhibit movement and line of sight, having your own guys get jammed behind each other blocking each others shots/charge lanes is a thing you really need to watch out for. Plus, games can shift quickly enough that if you deploy a unit on the wrong part of the board it might just die or not be able to re-position fast enough to make up for bad deployment.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Killbox mostly means you can't afford to just sit back with your 'caster and not have to worry about getting decapitated.

Not all the scenarios affect the game hugely, but many of them do require you to care about 2+ locations on the board from the start, and with jamming and board control being such a big deal, and so many units having rough matchups, you can totally be on the back foot from deployment.

WMH also allows for more left-field movement shenanigans than most skirmish games I've played. Stuff coming from way downtown to murder key pieces / your commander is another core component of the game and there's a lot of placement and counter-placement that goes in to attempting/preventing that sort of play.

Thirsty Dog fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jan 7, 2015

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

I don't know, broken worlds / bubble worlds sound super awesome. As long as the new novels are set there, I am all for this change!

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

What shall we do with a catnipped kitty?

rkajdi posted:

I just didn't see anything in there that really allowed you to chump people like fast cav redirecting, frenzy baiting, forced exposure of flanks due to wheels on contact, ect. The stuff that allows people who know how to play WFB seperate themselves from the dudes pushing trays around the table. I know expert play is derided in D&D, but for a wargame it's sort of the point. There's nothing more satisfying than having a dude with his shiny netlist run the porsche into a wall, or just find way to occupy and ignore the stupid deathstar all game and get the slim win with a much "worse" army. Though I guess very little of that is directly baked into the WFB rules, so KoW probably has a pile of emergent in play.

Did read your battle rep. Looked pretty ugly, but I did like that the attempt to stack a bunch of magic items on units doesn't appear to be the way to go. I'll have to keep that game in mind in case WFB9 turns out awful. I know there's going to be a big move by people towards WMH, but I can't dig the hyper-competitive stuff I've seen (and IMO skirmish games don't really allow as much opportunity to outdeploy people)

Redirecting like this?

Works in the exact same way. Sure, sometimes the two 90 degree pivots might allow you to get around that on the charge, but not if the unit is too wide to pivot without landing on top of the redirecting unit.

Frenzy just doesn't exist because there's no place for it in the game. I don't see it showing up in a lot of games and struggling to think of a single one outside of GW games where it is in there. I can't think of how it would even work without throwing up a whole bunch of FAQ questions on specific situations, since you don't declare charges at the start of the turn. Even so, if something similar was implemented then the exact same tactic would apply. Throw a cheap tarpit unit in front. Done.

Forced exposure of flanks?

Whichever unit the red one chooses to charge, either U1 or U2, it will expose its flank to the other two. It can't charge U3 because the gap isn't big enough.

Wheels on contact works in the exact same way. Once you hit a unit, you wheel to align with it. Can't align then you can't charge.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Do you have a warhammer army? Well then, your clenched rear end in a top hat wont help you anymore. Better start selling your models. I'm not even joking, fire sell that rulebook and soon to be outdated army while the market is good:

Faeit212

quote:

Let me give you some confirmation:
The setting is being completely overhauled - true.
The concept of a huge chunks of the world in a sea similar to the warp from 40k - true.
Faction reduction to 6 - true

As for how it interacts with the current rules.
9th edition takes place after the sundering that brought about from the End Times.

So for the purposes of compatibility, you can use your 8th edition hardback book, representing a section of the culture that hasn't been horrifically changed by the End Times (Recognizing it will have the same drawbacks of using a dated book that are experienced elsewhere).

You can use End Times rules/concepts, representing a section that is still being torn apart.

You can use the new, post-end times rules to represent what is "current."

All the books (again, with the caveat that older books may not be optimal for the new core rules [but truthfully the core rules aren't changing wildly, like 5th to 6th edition 40k, really more of a tidied up 8th edition with a brand new setting]) are designed to be compatible.

Support will be towards the new book, new setting, however, with End Times being in the past. Viable, but not current.

Expect armies to have fewer units in their core books, which will be heavily focused on the fluff for where they are now, what they've been doing in the centuries immediately following the sundering. This will create a more "balanced" pool as they will be rapidly produced and released (consider a scale even somewhat faster than what we've had for 40k these past few years).

These will then be expanded on with supplements, not intended as money-grabs (as I am sure they will be received by the majority of your readers), but more as guided hands to acknowledge deficiencies in books, or even "global meta" changes. The first time that Games Workshop will be openly acknowledging things that need changes.

These units will typically get white dwarf rules treatments heralding the release in hardback of all of the new units from the previous month(s), for a new setting expansion, which will pit several of the races together (representing a collision).

As these expansions are not permanent in the world, so too will these models not be. They are intended to only get one template injection mold life-run, the same as the books will be printed only once in hardback, then delayed paperback.

They will of course remain legal throughout all of 9th, they will just be more limited eventually, the same as the end time models will not be available forever, the same as XYZ model is no longer available (just with a shorter life span than previous experienced). I mean... you can't get albion models anymore either, but that campaign was before people whined on the internet, so I guess that's why no one's complaining.

This will allow for more new models, as contrary to common belief, the storage and rejuvenation of these templates takes a lot of resources which can be instead dedicated to new ones.

On the topic of round bases. The latest version I saw used round bases, but units had the option of ranking up to receive the typical bonuses. To rank up using round bases, it is intended to use new movement trays which have circular cuts to hold the bases of the appropriate size.

Nothing stops you from (and in many ways you are encouraged to) maintain unit formation the entire game. But you don't have to. Note that throughout all of Warhammer Fantasy, changing width/depth was an option, it's just rarely seen.

So to summarize - you can skirmish, but it's in your interests to rank up for different reasons, like shield walling before a charge for instance. You can alternatively always hold a formation and move the way we're all used to.

----

This will be a very big change. It is not because GW doesn't care about its old players and just wants to attract new ones. It is not to fill a void that will come from the fading of Lord of the Rings (which will remain in stores and be supported for a long time due to the agreement with New Line Cinemas).

It is just a very fresh look at a game that hasn't changed dramatically in how it's played since the dawn of the game and company. It will give everyone the opportunity and hopefully inspiration to do something new, but without invalidating everything from the past. It is opening room for creativity, not closing doors.

Yes, army books will eventually feel too out of date to play, but that's the same with any new edition. And new Army Books will typically allow people to recreate what they're "used to" it just might not be the most effective thing they could do with their new book.

The new faction are basically the opposite of warriors of chaos, but good the way chaos marines are the opposite of space marines but evil (in terms of broad tropes, I really hope this doesn't spawn some kind of debate about the morality of space marines).

Lastly, nothing stops you from just playing 8th, and ignoring 9th the same way some people ignore End Times. Just understand that unlike Storm of Chaos which was post-production looked at as an "alternate timeline" where the clock was turned back to right before it took place for the purposes of the setting, the End Times are real, and 9th will begin where it left off.

Earlybird

quote:

factions :

1) Chaos : Demons + Beasts + Mortals
2) Elves
3) Empire
4) Undead
5) Orcs and Goblins
6) Skavens

Lizards are gone in space.
Dwarves survivors join the empire with the ogres.

1) Chaos core : Warriors of chaos/chariot/Hounds
Demons figs will be kept as they are usable in 40k
Bye bye marauders, ungors, centigors, razorgor etc

2) Elves core : spearmen/archers/cavalry on horse
No more xbows
the 3 elves will blend in one faction
dark elves monsters are gone : cold ones, hydra

3) Empire core: Hallberds/Handgun/Canon
Some dwarves survivors and ogres are included
Imperial and bretonnian knights are merged

4) Undead core : Skeletons/Ghouls/Spirit host
bye bye bone giant, scorpion sphinx, chariots and everything too much egyptian

5) Orcs and goblins core : Goblins/Orcs/Black orcs
no real change for them

6) Skaven core : Clanrats/Plague rats/Rat ogres
no real change for them too

:bravo:

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I want this all to come true so hard. But I just can't let myself believe it, because it would be too good.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It would be extremely GW to revive interest in your line only to murder it 6 months later.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
The dark elf cold ones are literally the nicest models GW currently produces, bar none

BETTER DELETE THEM FROM REALITY

The second nicest is that big lizardman dinosaur thing

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Daedleh posted:

Redirecting like this?

Works in the exact same way. Sure, sometimes the two 90 degree pivots might allow you to get around that on the charge, but not if the unit is too wide to pivot without landing on top of the redirecting unit.

Frenzy just doesn't exist because there's no place for it in the game. I don't see it showing up in a lot of games and struggling to think of a single one outside of GW games where it is in there. I can't think of how it would even work without throwing up a whole bunch of FAQ questions on specific situations, since you don't declare charges at the start of the turn. Even so, if something similar was implemented then the exact same tactic would apply. Throw a cheap tarpit unit in front. Done.

Forced exposure of flanks?

Whichever unit the red one chooses to charge, either U1 or U2, it will expose its flank to the other two. It can't charge U3 because the gap isn't big enough.

Wheels on contact works in the exact same way. Once you hit a unit, you wheel to align with it. Can't align then you can't charge.

Awesome. Maybe I wasn't explained stuff very well when I saw demo games, but the thing that got me was that since units backed off once combat started, there wasn't a long term benefit to flank with a single unit, since the enemy would reform to face on its next turn instead of being stuck with the rear end in the wind while it got chewed up in melee. I'm not a fan of stuff that lets misdeployed stuff back into the game easily, since it just rewards sloppy play. Looks like that might not be as big a deal as I was worrying about.

I don't care that the actual mechanics of the stuff you need to do are different, but everything I saw in the demo game was "run your toys into each other like a five year old", which really turned me off. Glad to hear that was just demo stupidty versus an actual issue with the game.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Lmbo at round bases

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Its ok, the new edition will have special rules for 'unbroken' that allows you to take old models and proxy them in for the new ones!

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Yessssss. Yessssss

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
haha sucks to be not-white humans, RIP dinosaurs

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

No way they're just getting rid of Lizardmen. They're not that stupid right

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

This stuff is amazing.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I am so very excited to read the warhammer thread in a few months.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Oh good, undead lose all their egyptian things, humans lose all their knights of the round table things, chaos use all their big gently caress you barbarians and demons, and elves lose basically everything that ever made them different than pointy eared humans with pretty gemstone fetishes.

Good GW, this is good, kill the last thing I liked you had left, break any chains I had left.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I want this to be true SOOOO BAAAAAD!

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Moola posted:

I want this to be true SOOOO BAAAAAD!

BULBASAUR posted:

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
"Lizards are gone in space."

lol

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

BULBASAUR posted:

Why wait? Juicy gossip is meant to be shared. :haw:

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Moola posted:

"Lizards are gone in space."

lol

They literally got poochied out of the game.

Maybe they will get kill by some warhammer 40k faction on the way to their home planet.

Maybe it turns out the warhammer world was actually in the Slam Sector all along???

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

What shall we do with a catnipped kitty?

rkajdi posted:

Awesome. Maybe I wasn't explained stuff very well when I saw demo games, but the thing that got me was that since units backed off once combat started, there wasn't a long term benefit to flank with a single unit, since the enemy would reform to face on its next turn instead of being stuck with the rear end in the wind while it got chewed up in melee. I'm not a fan of stuff that lets misdeployed stuff back into the game easily, since it just rewards sloppy play. Looks like that might not be as big a deal as I was worrying about.

I don't care that the actual mechanics of the stuff you need to do are different, but everything I saw in the demo game was "run your toys into each other like a five year old", which really turned me off. Glad to hear that was just demo stupidty versus an actual issue with the game.

Yeah the rule of thumb for demos is always to dumb it down as much as possible and Let The Newbie Win. Charge redirection, screening etc aren't done in demos because it stops the other player from doing what they want to do which isn't fun for them. You'd see the same lack of tactics and "run your toys into each other like a five year old" for any game, including Warhammer, if it's being demo'd by someone non-groggy.

You can reform to face a flanker if you survive since you can only charge a unit which is in your front arc - you're not locked in so don't get to attack back without charging them. However, flank charges are usually devastating and if you flank charged something and didn't wipe it out in one hit then you are either tactically distracting them or did something wrong. Charge cheap cav in the flank of a horde bearing down on you = massive damage. Horde then has to spend a turn chewing up your cav, and in order to do that it has to face your cav and expose its flank. If it decides to ignore the cav and charge something in front of it, then the cav is most likely lined up for a rear charge for triple attacks next turn.

Charging a regiment of Ogres or Knights into a flank will kill nearly any unit in the game in a single hit (barring the 60 zombie endless swarm), so there's no-one left to face you. Anything smaller hitting a flank will kill nearly any regiment in a single hit, and do devastating damage to a horde. If you expose a flank, then you hosed up.

We do need more battle reports up, especially from the more competitive players, if just to show off how tactical the game is at high levels of play. I find it's actually more tactical than WHFB because the simplicity of the mechanics means there's less special rules based shenanigans, let alone WHFBs atrocious magic phase, and it's all about the movement and positioning.

kingcom posted:

They literally got poochied out of the game.

Maybe they will get kill by some warhammer 40k faction on the way to their home planet.

Maybe it turns out the warhammer world was actually in the Slam Sector all along???

Coming new to 40k in September 2015:

Daedleh fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jan 8, 2015

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional

quote:

Nothing stops you from (and in many ways you are encouraged to) maintain unit formation the entire game. But you don't have to. Note that throughout all of Warhammer Fantasy, changing width/depth was an option, it's just rarely seen.

Jesus loving christ. RIP Warhammer Fantasy.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
The new warhammer setting is actually dune, because during the end times the Imperium of Man finds the planet and virus bombs it into sand

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Malekith was right

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
what about the space knights

that's all I want

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
I'm giggling like a child on a sugar high

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
It's legit great for me because I had Lizards and Ogres left and one of those got fuckin Poochied (great way to describe it) and the other I guess is the Empire's bitch now? So great, gently caress em.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Just go Unbound

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I want Lizardmen to be fantasy squats so bad, oh my god the rage will be palpable

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I made a handy reference chart explaining how the new system will work if you are still confused by the new system:

Hope this helps.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

BULBASAUR posted:

I made a handy reference chart explaining how the new system will work if you are still confused by the new system:

Hope this helps.

lmao I'm loving dying

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional

BULBASAUR posted:

Hope this helps.

My god, it's full of stars...

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
One of the young guns in Nottingham read on a BBS that WizKids were working on MechWarrior: Dark Age and now GW is desperately trying to beat them to the punch

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

BULBASAUR posted:

Hope this helps.

:vince:

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

what about the space knights

that's all I want

don't you have like $10,000 of them already ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

I almost believed the rumors were true, until I read these very obvious lines of horseshit:

quote:

This will be a very big change. It is not because GW doesn't care about its old players and just wants to attract new ones.

quote:

It is just a very fresh look at a game that hasn't changed dramatically in how it's played since the dawn of the game and company. It will give everyone the opportunity and hopefully inspiration to do something new, but without invalidating everything from the past. It is opening room for creativity, not closing doors.

Suuurrre it's not about forcing people to buy new minis to replace the ones they can't use any more. :rolleyes:

• Locked thread