Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Bit more on the dyanmic scoring the new Congressional rules mandate.

quote:

The new, “dynamic” CBO will be systematically biased to make conservative proposals appear misleadingly cheap and liberal proposals misleadingly costly to the public fisc. This would be true even if the Republicans were soliciting a fair range of forecasting perspectives. By its design, the dynamic scoring rule allows the party in power to game its effects. It applies “dynamic scoring” only to legislation affecting 0.25 percent of Gross Domestic Product. As Chye-Ching Huang and Paul Van de Water point out, congressional leaders can manipulate this requirement easily: They can break up large pieces of legislation into smaller bills to avoid dynamic scoring, or combine smaller pieces into a major bill, if needed to make their agenda appear more affordable. Dynamic scoring is subject to abuse by its very design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

evilweasel posted:

When stupid arguments go unchallenged, people stop remembering that they're stupid (and this in turn leads to even dumber arguments). If you don't want me to knock down stupid arguments then don't post them in the first place.

There's plenty of stupid arguments in this thread, and if that was the case you'd be posting more. Nor was my position unchallenged, you specifically quoted a post which was me commenting about how folks were challenging my opinion.

Kibbles is pointing out you have a personal beef with me(and probably me with you) because he's been reading this post for years, and it's fairly obvious. People have posters that push their buttons, I do, you do, everyone does.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

zoux posted:

Bit more on the dyanmic scoring the new Congressional rules mandate.

It's the same method used to justify voter registration reform!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Also reminder that facts don't matter

quote:

Overall, 42 percent of Americans believe that U.S. forces found active weapons of mass destruction program in Iraq. Republicans are more likely to hold this belief than Democrats: fifty-one percent of Republicans think it’s “probably” or “definitely” true that an active program was found after the 2003 invasion, with 14 percent saying that it was definitely true. Still, large portions of other groups think that the WMD program, a major part of the justification for the invasion, was actually found, including 32 percent of Democrats. Part of the confusion may come from reports that individual chemical weapons shells, and related items have been found in Iraq, mostly thought to be vestiges of a WMD program shut down after the U.S.-led invasion in 1991.

“People who think we did the right thing in invading Iraq seem to be revising their memories to retroactively justify the invasion,” said Cassino. “This sort of motivated reasoning is pretty common: when people want to believe something, they’ll twist the facts to fit it.”

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

I believe significant amounts of folks also believe we found actionable intelligence through torture and that is documented in the CIA report.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Zeitgueist posted:

I believe significant amounts of folks also believe we found actionable intelligence through torture and that is documented in the CIA report.

Didn't you see the documentary zero dark thirty? The facts are pretty conclusive. :downs:

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
From that article

quote:

Another commonly held false political belief concerns the president. Despite six years in office, and the release of his long-form birth certificate, 19 percent of Americans say that it’s “definitely” or “probably” true that President Barack Obama is not legally a citizen of the United States. This belief is most prevalent among the president’s opponents: 34 percent of Republicans think it’s likely, along with 22 percent of independents, and just seven percent of Democrats.
The only way I can see this making any sense at all is if these people think that the President is not legally counted as a "citizen."

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

From that article

The only way I can see this making any sense at all is if these people think that the President is not legally counted as a "citizen."

Half of West Virginia is registered Democrat, FYI.

copper rose petal
Apr 30, 2013

TheLoquid posted:

Wait what? Can I get a link for this story?

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/las-vegas-shooting-suspects-left-swastika-dont-tread-on-me-flag-on-dead-officers/

evilweasel posted:

A lot of people seem to be incapable of distinguishing "a stupid person said a dumb thing to try to spin something" with "normal people actually believed that dumb thing" and this post is a prime example of it.

Normal people are barely aware of the incident in the first place, the only thing out there is stupid people saying dumb things to spin it. The fact that hardly anybody is aware of it at all, given the current media saturation about the NYPD shooting is pretty much the point.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
Eh, they might just've seen McCain and Romney as so much worse that they held their nose and voted non-citizen Obama anyway.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Stultus Maximus posted:

Half of West Virginia is registered Democrat, FYI.

Same with Louisiana (where registered Democrats were twice as numerous as registered Republicans in 2012, if I recall correctly). A lot of these people stopped voting for Democrats after 2008 at the latest.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Has anybody made hay about Scalise's excuse that his speech at the neo-nazi group was about a tax plan that didn't even exist yet? Because there is so much more evidence piling up that he's even more directly related to hosed-up elements than Rand Paul and yet everyone seems fine with him being in the line towards becoming the next-in-waiting for Majority leader, etc.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Neeksy posted:

Has anybody made hay about Scalise's excuse that his speech at the neo-nazi group was about a tax plan that didn't even exist yet? Because there is so much more evidence piling up that he's even more directly related to hosed-up elements than Rand Paul and yet everyone seems fine with him being in the line towards becoming the next-in-waiting for Majority leader, etc.

At least the Southern Avenger had a change of heart, if we trust statements made in conservative magazine op-eds. Men in suits, worse than those in hoods, etc.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

What? :psyduck:

How the hell is that number 42%? I expect a small chunk of crazies for every question but 42% is disconcertingly high for an event that is barely a decade old and was constantly in the news. I guess you really can deny things for so long that a large portion of people will believe you.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Relentlessboredomm posted:

How the hell is that number 42%? I expect a small chunk of crazies for every question but 42% is disconcertingly high for an event that is barely a decade old and was constantly in the news. I guess you really can deny things for so long that a large portion of people will believe you.

There was an article recently about them finding WMDs that were from the Iran-Iraq War but it was a little unclear.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

lotta people don't watch the news

awful lotta the ones that do only watch FOX

Bet you're looking at about 15% conservative wingnuts, 25% uninformed.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

computer parts posted:

There was an article recently about them finding WMDs that were from the Iran-Iraq War but it was a little unclear.

Weren't those WMDs that we manufactured and gave to Iraq? Like, we ended up covering up us finding those WMDs because we manufactured and gave them to Iraq and that would just be too goddamned galling for the public to know at the time?

I'm pretty sure there's a recent wapo feature about it.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jan 7, 2015

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

nutranurse posted:

Weren't those WMDs that we manufactured and gave to Iraq? Like, we ended up covering up us finding those WMDs because we manufactured and gave them to Iraq and that would just be too goddamned galling for the public at the time to know?

I'm pretty sure there's a recent wapo feature about it.

Yeah they were.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

computer parts posted:

Yeah, I remember that; it was a bunch of old gas shells that, if I remember right, we sold to Iraq back in the 80s and which had been rusting in a locked bunker for about as long. I don't recall if any of the usual suspects tried to represent that as validation of Cheney doctrine or not.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

This guy explains it pretty well. 20 percentage points are just thundering morons (Almost 20% of people think the sun revolves around the Earth), and the rest are just people expressing political affiliation rather than their actual beliefs.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Rest assured, freedom seekers, Utah has not failed to note that the federal government has ignored its legal demands to hand over all federal lands in the state.

Utah's federal solicitor is preparing to file a lawsuit to force the U.S. Government to relinquish ownership of the lands to state stewardship, but there is currently no timeline as to when the lawsuit will be filed. Utah has already allocated $2 million from its budget to be used for the upcoming lawsuit.
No wonder I can't get a loving raise, first gay marriage and now this poo poo. Also can't wait until the Feds' response is showing them the documents from Statehood about how all that land belongs to the Feds in exchange for us becoming a state.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Yeah, I remember that; it was a bunch of old gas shells that, if I remember right, we sold to Iraq back in the 80s and which had been rusting in a locked bunker for about as long. I don't recall if any of the usual suspects tried to represent that as validation of Cheney doctrine or not.

That was a Bill Hicks bit: "We checked the receipt!"

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Of course they did.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Fried Chicken posted:

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/return-debtors-prison/

http://www.npr.org/series/313986316/guilty-and-charged

http://www.npr.org/2014/05/19/312158516/increasing-court-fees-punish-the-poor

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bankruptcy_Abuse_Prevention_and_Consumer_Protection_Act. Here's the federal act they are using to do this by the way.

Would you also accept the "well that kinda looks bad maybe we should have a debate" that Reason and National Review had back and forth between writers after the Times did its expose on how Ferguson was screwing over black people? Or how about republicans not endorsing throwing people in the slammer over debt collection agencies getting Justice system use fines, but them railing against state's attorneys like Lisa Madigan who are fighting to stop the practice?

None of that is a GOP endorsement of debtors prisons. I'm extremely sympathetic to your point, but it's not a GOP thing.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Today, for the first time, Rand Paul was correctly addressed as "Mr. President".

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Zeitgueist posted:

We tortured because if you're willing to audiorecord your rape during an enhanced interrogation, you're sure enough of your hunch that you're willing to suffer the political consequences in case you're incorrect.

American torture makes more sense when viewed as a method to cut red-tape in the intelligence industries, rather a method to gather novel intelligence.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

My Imaginary GF posted:

We tortured because if you're willing to audiorecord your rape during an enhanced interrogation, you're sure enough of your hunch that you're willing to suffer the political consequences in case you're incorrect.

American torture makes more sense when viewed as a method to cut red-tape in the intelligence industries, rather a method to gather novel intelligence.

Haha no it doesn't because every non-moron in intelligence knows that torture doesn't give reliable intelligence.

American torture makes sense when you realize we're a broken bloodthirsty society trying to terrorize our enemies, which is the real reason why we did it.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quote of the day, “And this is why we say if we had somebody do to us what we have done to so many countries in the Middle East, and how many people we’ve killed, and sending over drones, and bombing, being involved in all these wars, and supporting dictators one week, and taking away the support — and the stupidity of us sending all those weapons into Syria, ending up in the hands of ISIS — and right now we’re even sending more weapons! You know, because ISIS took all the American weapons. It’s that overall policy which invites retaliation, and they see us as intruders. But it’s a little bit more complex, you know, when they hit us, either here at home, and hit civilians, and what’s happening in France. But I don’t think you can divorce these instances from the overall foreign policy.” ~ Ron Paul

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Joementum posted:

Quote of the day, “And this is why we say if we had somebody do to us what we have done to so many countries in the Middle East, and how many people we’ve killed, and sending over drones, and bombing, being involved in all these wars, and supporting dictators one week, and taking away the support — and the stupidity of us sending all those weapons into Syria, ending up in the hands of ISIS — and right now we’re even sending more weapons! You know, because ISIS took all the American weapons. It’s that overall policy which invites retaliation, and they see us as intruders. But it’s a little bit more complex, you know, when they hit us, either here at home, and hit civilians, and what’s happening in France. But I don’t think you can divorce these instances from the overall foreign policy.” ~ Ron Paul

TL;DR: Those loving frogs were asking for it.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Zeitgueist posted:

Haha no it doesn't because every non-moron in intelligence knows that torture doesn't give reliable intelligence.

American torture makes sense when you realize we're a broken bloodthirsty society trying to terrorize our enemies, which is the real reason why we did it.

You don't get it. It has nothing to do with the intelligence and everything to do with the red tape cutting power of "we did the most horrible things to confirm this intel, if you don't approve the missile strike, you'll personally have made Uncle Sam rape a man for nothing."

Read what CIA Officer 1 (I forget her real name) sent back to H.Q. Its pretty clear that torture was just the magical way to "confirm" anything they wanted to get strike orders.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Joementum posted:

Continuing the proud Libertarian tradition of almost getting it.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
Pay no attention to the fact they used AKs and (supposedly) had an RPG.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Chairman John McCain has scheduled the first hearing of the Senate Armed Services Committee for January 13, to hear the testimony of Henry Kissinger on global challenges to US national security strategy.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Trabisnikof posted:

You don't get it. It has nothing to do with the intelligence and everything to do with the red tape cutting power of "we did the most horrible things to confirm this intel, if you don't approve the missile strike, you'll personally have made Uncle Sam rape a man for nothing."

Read what CIA Officer 1 (I forget her real name) sent back to H.Q. Its pretty clear that torture was just the magical way to "confirm" anything they wanted to get strike orders.

No, I get that is the reason we say we do it. Do you think monsters see themselves as monsters?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Trabisnikof posted:

the magical way to "confirm" anything they wanted to get strike orders.

And how is this bit incompatible with his statement that it is for terrorizing our enemies?

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
Also, LOL at the best justification we can come up with being "we needed to provide some really good support for murder so we tortured to hurry through the approval".

Raskolnikov38 posted:

And how is this bit incompatible with his statement that it is for terrorizing our enemies?

Well you see when the Obama administration bombs weddings it's justified.

Zeitgueist fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jan 8, 2015

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
It's a good thing House leadership has a capable, trustworthy whip to avoid embarrassing situations like the first major legislation of the new Congress failing to pass.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

skaboomizzy posted:

It's a good thing House leadership has a capable, trustworthy whip to avoid embarrassing situations like the first major legislation of the new Congress failing to pass.

How messed up is the House that it can't even pass corporate fluff bills? Wow.

Was there something good hidden there or something?

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Zeitgueist posted:

Well you see when the Obama administration bombs weddings it's justified.

Has anyone ever said this? Has anyone not actually in the business of conducting drone strikes defended them in years even?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Nah, they hosed up by rushing it to the floor without having the Rules Committee issue a special rule.

Normally, bills on the House floor are open to debate and amendment. There are two ways to get around this: (1) the Rules Committee issues a special rule, which needs to receive majority support on the floor that limits debate on the bill and specifies the text, or (2) the House can pass a bill under suspension of the rules, but this requires a 2/3rd majority, which means that it will need support from the minority party.

Remember the floor drama around the rules vote on the CRomnibus where Congressman Mall Santa saved the day by switching his vote at the last minute? That was a vote on the special rule from the Rules Committee. That Committee is selected by the Speaker and has a super majority from the majority party, which allows the Speaker to effectively control the floor. It's the committee Boehner kicked two of the defectors off yesterday. I'm not sure he's selected replacements yet.

tl;dr: Republicans tried to unnecessarily rush this, probably hoping Democrats wouldn't care. Turns out they were wrong. Expect it to pass tomorrow or early next week.

• Locked thread