Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Trying to dodge spoilers, but is there a legal place to watch this online without owning some specific able package yet?

Usually premieres and stuff are up all over Hulu, even without the delay. Not a drat thing here. Even ABC's own website doesn't have it up, even if you own a cable package.

God I wish TV networks would get with the program and adapt their business model already. This is obnoxious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Blazing Ownager posted:

Trying to dodge spoilers, but is there a legal place to watch this online without owning some specific able package yet?

Usually premieres and stuff are up all over Hulu, even without the delay. Not a drat thing here. Even ABC's own website doesn't have it up, even if you own a cable package.

God I wish TV networks would get with the program and adapt their business model already. This is obnoxious.

It won't show up on ABC for about an hour yet, I believe. Doesn't actually answer your question, sadly, but I don't know of any other non-:filez: place.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I didn't realise how much I needed a 1940s version of Alias in my life until right now

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Holy poo poo this show is amazing. Best intro eps I've seen in years.

I don't know what else to say. I loved everything.

(well okay that's a lie. I thought there were too many villainous typewriting scenes. Like, once was enough, we get the point. Too many times kills the pacing dead) (But I loved everything else)

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down

howe_sam posted:

Lyndsey Fonseca, who I mostly know as the daughter from How I Met your Mother.

She also used to be in Nikita.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Teek posted:

While I know Mrs. Jarvis didn't exactly need to be cast, her not appearing makes me wonder if there's more to Jarvis himself. Obviously he could be human, but we did see Dr. Phineas Horton's Synthetic Man in Captain America 1... And Vision via J.A.R.V.I.S is a part of Age of Ultron... Jarvis has to be home every night (to recharge)?..

Possibly but not possibly Stark got ahold of him and uploaded a new personality onto Horton's failed project? Something which is then dusted off again years later in Ultron? It could all logically fit and would be pretty awesome if true, but I'm not sure if they would go there or not. As it is now, he's just an awesome polite gentleman. The kind which would probably inspire the young Tony if the elder Jarvis was still around to take care of him in place of his lovely absent father.

I'm cool with just keeping Jarvis as the Stark butler. Jarvis looked after Tony Stark when he was a kid, so when he creates an AI to serve him, he named it after Jarvis. When some other rich playboys might have named it Jeeves or Alfred.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Just finshed the pilot episode(s).

Gonna second the "Awesome casting" comments earlier in this thread, especially Eli Thompson, Leland Palmer and Rusty Venture.

Also, ROD FARVA OUT OF NOWHERE.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Just finished the first episode. Not sure what to think about part of the setting. Carter was a respected figure during the war, lead the clean up with SSR competently shortly after (at least according to Agents of SHIELD), and suddenly she's demoted to a coffee maid? Obviously I haven't lived in that time, but I kind of doubt that there was that much misogyny for that to happen.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hahaha bless your cotton socks.

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jan 7, 2015

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Things were a little better for women during the war. After the war, however, with the men coming back from the war expecting their jobs back things went back to normal for the times, namely being poo poo for any woman not interested in their traditional fields, and bad for those that were. As it is, we still have fields where women have problems today. Go back 70 years and on top of that issue throw the fact that, at least in the MCU, this appears to be one of those Old Boys Club style of espionage agencies, and it's no wonder she's having problems. After all, it was probably just the Captain and the Commandos that did everything, right? A woman couldn't possibly do anything more than tag along, maybe doing paperwork or something, riding their coattails and trying to grab a piece of the pie for herself afterwards.

Hell, there's still way too many men still acting like those on this show today, unironic and unexagerated, and completely getting away with it.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
They probably believe the Captain America radio shows are at all close to what actually happened.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
That wasn't Farva, that was Buzz, the older brother from Home Alone.

And Jarvis is Lt. Pullings from Master & Commander

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Colonial Air Force posted:

That wasn't Farva, that was Buzz, the older brother from Home Alone.

And Jarvis is Lt. Pullings from Master & Commander

Farva was the dickhead in the diner, Buzz was the milk truck driver

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Oh, that makes much more sense.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Onean posted:

After all, it was probably just the Captain and the Commandos that did everything, right? A woman couldn't possibly do anything more than tag along, maybe doing paperwork or something, riding their coattails and trying to grab a piece of the pie for herself afterwards.
Given that SSR is another secret organization probably with the same roots as whatever it was called in Captain America, you'd think the responsible people up on top wouldn't leave a competent agent withering just because she's a woman. I mean, it's obvious that Carter's going to establish herself eventually a few episodes in, since we roughly know where it's going to head. If that works, why couldn't she ride on her reputation to begin with?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Combat Pretzel posted:

Given that SSR is another secret organization probably with the same roots as whatever it was called in Captain America, you'd think the responsible people up on top wouldn't leave a competent agent withering just because she's a woman. I mean, it's obvious that Carter's going to establish herself eventually a few episodes in, since we roughly know where it's going to head. If that works, why couldn't she ride on her reputation to begin with?

I assume that the last episode will include a cameo with Tommy Lee Jones asking her to help him set up a new group.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
It depends on how she got in where she is now, and whether or not the people that put her there are checking up on her. Those responsible people on top could have just assigned her wherever they thought she was needed, and then just assumed the people there would go along with it. Given the fact that Carter doesn't seem the type to go complaining to anyone, the higher ups may not even know what's happening, if they even care anymore.

Onean fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jan 7, 2015

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Rocksicles posted:

Hahaha bless your cotton socks.

Here's the non-photoshopped original:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah i knew it was shopped

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Rocksicles posted:

Yeah i knew it was shopped

Then it's a bit inconsiderate to post it implying it's evidence that things really were that bad for women in the 1940s, isn't it?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Bruceski posted:

Then it's a bit inconsiderate to post it implying it's evidence that things really were that bad for women in the 1940s, isn't it?

Much like the show itself, it's a fiction that accurately describes the state of things. Women were urged into the workforce when the war created a shortage of male employees, and were pushed out as soon as the men came home.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
My biggest problem with the whole episode is how incompetent every other agent seemed to be, what kind of spy doesn't notice Hayley Atwell in that dress even my wife noticed that.

He was clearly trying to draw the Hydra symbol as he died

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
They actually seemed pretty competent to me. They had less information than Hayley and were only a step behind her the whole time.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

XboxPants posted:

Usually, but it varies; a quick look on wikipedia shows seasons of 4, 5, 6, 8, and 15 episode length have all been done.

Agent Carter itself is proof that not all ABC series need to be 13/22 episodes long, but I still get the feeling that online networks give you more freedom. I haven't read any of the behind the scenes guidelines or anything, but just based on things like interviews with show creators and such they really sing praises of how much more structural flexibility they have.

Network Standards and Practices are a real sun of a bitch but that is because they have both FCC rules AND advertisers to worry about. Cable networks don't need to worry about the FCC currently, but they are still at the mercy of advertisers. Netflix and HBO can basically do whatever the gently caress they want, which much be amazing for a showrunner. The catch is fewer episodes, but considering that many 20+ episode season have a bunch of filler, I don't think shorter seasons are a bad thing. I'd rather have more compressed, awesome seasons with more individual series than one big series per year with a bunch of fluff.

mikeraskol posted:

They actually seemed pretty competent to me. They had less information than Hayley and were only a step behind her the whole time.

Yeah they seemed to be pretty on the ball with regards to their investigating, but the scene where Carter cuts off and takes out the running scientist made them look real bad.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
2 brothers from my rural Michigan school were involved in this. Eric Carroll in the production and his brother Alex acted somewhere. Their mom was my daughter's kindergarten teacher.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Combat Pretzel posted:

Just finished the first episode. Not sure what to think about part of the setting. Carter was a respected figure during the war, lead the clean up with SSR competently shortly after (at least according to Agents of SHIELD), and suddenly she's demoted to a coffee maid? Obviously I haven't lived in that time, but I kind of doubt that there was that much misogyny for that to happen.

Simmons on SHIELD is also seeing Carter's story from 60 years in the future after she has already gone on to do whatever she accomplishes in the SSR and be a founding member of SHIELD.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

ToastyPotato posted:

Yeah they seemed to be pretty on the ball with regards to their investigating, but the scene where Carter cuts off and takes out the running scientist made them look real bad.

I didn't think it made the other agents look bad, so much as it just showed that Carter was clever. Where the other guys just naturally reacted and took chase, she surveyed quickly, asked where the corridor led and cut the guy off. Which also prevented a drawn out chase scene cliche.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

sbaldrick posted:

My biggest problem with the whole episode is how incompetent every other agent seemed to be, what kind of spy doesn't notice Hayley Atwell in that dress even my wife noticed that.

If anyone was looking at Carter's face long enough to recognize her, that dress wasn't doing its job..

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Daredevil is hitting Netflix on April 10th :toot:

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
No one else noticed the Goodman, Kurtzberg, & Holliway (but no Lieber) shout out at the end of the second episode? Pavin' the way for some She-Hulk action all up in here!!!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

mikeraskol posted:

Yeah that's something I've appreciated about the show so far - the male agents are misogynistic assholes which fits the times, but they're also competent at their jobs and capable of getting to the same place as the titular hero even without the benefit of the inside knowledge she has and is keeping from them.

I am irritated by the shoehorned in red-herring of Jarvis calling Howard and going,"SHE DOESN'T SUSPECT A THING :ninja:", can't it just be a straightforward matter of Howard getting his poo poo took and asking Carter to save his rear end?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

mikeraskol posted:

There's been about 30 seconds of clips in 30 minutes of show so yeah, not really 20%.
Keep your facts away from my clever Internet quips.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bruceski posted:

::): i was making a joke obviously

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

Combat Pretzel posted:

There is great BBC series called Bletchley Circle that is a fictionalization of the problems faced by women who helped with Military intelligence during the war. After the war was over they were expected to get married and have kids and basically forget whatever they had done before.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

Blazing Ownager posted:

ABC doesn't put up shows until the week after usually.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Funhilde posted:

There is great BBC series called Bletchley Circle that is a fictionalization of the problems faced by women who helped with Military intelligence during the war. After the war was over they were expected to get married and have kids and basically forget whatever they had done before.

I love that show, it's got a lot of character and some good drama/mysteries.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
I haven't seen the Imitation Game but I guess they failed to cast as many women as they should have for the scenes with the enigma machines. A real shame.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Disharmony posted:

She also used to be in Nikita.
I couldn't remember her name through the first episode but recognized it immediately in the credits of episode 2. I watched maybe the first season of Nikita and of course we know her from HIMYM. It'll be interesting to see if she's developed into a good actress.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Josh Lyman posted:

I couldn't remember her name through the first episode but recognized it immediately in the credits of episode 2. I watched maybe the first season of Nikita and of course we know her from HIMYM. It'll be interesting to see if she's developed into a good actress.

If you had watched the rest of Nikita you would know how good she is. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Really thought Souza would sneak in a knowing line to Carter by the end of the second episode. I want to see them and Jarvis kicking rear end, taking names, and getting back home before their 10 o'clock curfews.

Phylodox posted:

No one else noticed the Goodman, Kurtzberg, & Holliway (but no Lieber) shout out at the end of the second episode? Pavin' the way for some She-Hulk action all up in here!!!

Thanks for saving me the search. I knew it was familiar, but couldn't remember from where.

• Locked thread