Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Flaky posted:

Well I guess the Reichstag is well and truly on fire now.

Still waiting for you to explain the relevance of this remark to the situation at hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
Merry Christmas from Novorussia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tr4nce9Nuwc

quote:

For others to enjoy. On the death of his enemies. Merry Christmas. With Novorussia. The enemy will be defeated. Victory will be ours. And if we lose, we will destroy the whole world."

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi

Disinterested posted:

Still waiting for you to explain the relevance of this remark to the situation at hand.

They probably heard somebody talk about it once and are excited to use this newfound historical fact to one-up the competition.

Smerdyakov
Jul 8, 2008

Forgall posted:

Yes, but what exactly happened which reminds you of reichstag fire?

Because his opinion on every topic is formed by referencing the same youtube documentary?

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

HorseLord posted:

There's no loving way on earth that's a coincidence.
Those are just high-profile cases. A lot of cancer patients in Russia end up choosing suicide as their painkiller, since Gosnarcocontrol's policy appears to be "If we let doctors give patients morphine, they'll start taking it themselves or selling it on the black market. After all, that's what we do". :smith:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
A 14 years old orphan was accepted as a Cossack soldier by separatists. He doesn't participate in active fighting, just helps out in the kitchen and occasionally stays on guard. He still goes to school, too. I'm not sure if it's 100% propaganda stint, but it's obviously an echo of the old 'son of the regiment' ("сын полка") tradition especially popular during WWII.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLa4rw-5sL4

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Paladinus posted:

it's obviously an echo of the old 'son of the regiment' ("сын полка") tradition especially popular during WWII.

Tell me more (or post about it in the A/T Milhist thread if you haven't already).

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Disinterested posted:

Tell me more (or post about it in the A/T Milhist thread if you haven't already).

I am not too well-versed in military traditions, it's just the one everyone learns through Soviet/post-Soviet popular culture and history lessons.

Basically, the idea is that kids who've lost their parents during the war both would want to help soldiers to avenge their parents and in many cases military units were better supplied than orphanages. It also allowed to prepare future soldiers on the spot, so when they are of age they can start fighting with some basic skills in place. For soldiers it provided a great morale boost, too. Here's a bunch of photos

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Paladinus posted:

A 14 years old orphan was accepted as a Cossack soldier by separatists. He doesn't participate in active fighting, just helps out in the kitchen and occasionally stays on guard. He still goes to school, too. I'm not sure if it's 100% propaganda stint, but it's obviously an echo of the old 'son of the regiment' ("сын полка") tradition especially popular during WWII.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLa4rw-5sL4
It's fairly interesting video, if only thoroughly cringeworthy. "Son of the regiment" notion is quite strong indeed, though I am not sure about genuinity either.

Supposedly separatists' artillery:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZA6h5T-WaVo
Some munitions, I think, supposedly from separatists' Grads:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjGphEJAEm8
Cossacks' leader threatens LPR with "100 thousand march to Luhansk":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTLWKuHTw7A
This is supposedly from Donetsk:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_3hhTIKyRg
Rotation of cyborgs at Donetsk airport:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eGODUj4zyo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ox0tSGxNZyc

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Disinterested posted:

As am I waiting until all the required information has been verified, that and I am busy with work at the moment. I also have to be careful what I say on work computers! which are all that are available to me.

Smerdyakov posted:

Because his opinion on every topic is formed by referencing the same youtube documentary?

Why dont you do something productive while you wait, like read The Rise and Fall of The Third Reich

Things which already seem just a little too convenient;

- the mention of the galette des rois during the interview on the 6th with the guy who survived because of his business trip. The christian religious significance would never be lost on most french people, where it is for anglophones. In other words it is a dog whistle. A parallel would be if there was an attack on the News of The World and suddenly all left media is outflanked and obliged to defend that editorial bias.

- the exact phrasing and import of the cops last words

- the behaviour and witness accounts of the shooters v. the profiles released

Unfortunately a native level in french is absolutely required; dont believe anything english language without double checking it with a native. For example - its a galette des rois (plural not singular), but that was my mistake.

Flaky fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jan 8, 2015

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Flaky posted:

As am I waiting until all the required information has been verified, that and I am busy with work at the moment. I also have to be careful what I say on work computers! which are all that are available to me.

Why dont you do something productive while you wait, like read The Rise and Fall of The Third Reich

bit flaky

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Flaky posted:

I have, but you keep your tinfoil hat on until you have time to post again buddy, wouldn't want you get your brainwaves interfered with before you can tell us all The Truth.

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Oh and a form note about the following discussion - can we avoid overusing the quote button? It breaks up the train of thought for those reading and just leads to people losing interest or talking past each other (or deliberately misrepresenting people, as the above poster has just done)

An alternative to the quote button migbt be to f5, then immediately make a blank post (so as to reserve your place for your comment, and then to go back and fill in the post given the context.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Flaky posted:

Oh and a form note about the following discussion - can we avoid overusing the quote button? It breaks up the train of thought for those reading and just leads to people losing interest or talking past each other.

No.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Flaky posted:

Oh and a form note about the following discussion - can we avoid overusing the quote button? It breaks up the train of thought for those reading and just leads to people losing interest or talking past each other.

:frogout:

Edit: I take it back, tell me more about the Reichstag and your views on forum etiquette.

Disinterested fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jan 8, 2015

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Falky is exactly what this thread needs. Poster Flaky, please post.

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Oh and also I'll request that any further discussion move to the existing GBS thread

Ed. VVVV Corrected

Flaky fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jan 8, 2015

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Flaky posted:

Oh and also I'll request that any further discussion move to the existing D&D thread

There's a thread about the Reichstag Fire in D&D? Somehow that wouldn't surprise me.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Libluini posted:

There's a thread about the Reichstag Fire in D&D? Somehow that wouldn't surprise me.

It's right there next to Gulf of Tonkin 2: Electric Boogaloo.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Welcome to GBS

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!
Falky is the kind of straight talking, no-nonsense man this thread needs. Will you please show us the way to clean up our act Falky. You are right at home, Eastern Europeans have a predilection for strong leader, father of the nation type.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!
reserved for future post

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Allusions to the Reichstag fire shall savour but of shallow wit compared to the amassed incendiary material (straw or otherwise).

"for if you hide the crown
Even in your hearts,
there will he rake for it"

Flaky fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jan 8, 2015

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Flaky posted:

Allusions to the Reichstag fire shall savour but of shallow wit compared to the amassed incendiary material (straw or otherwise).

"for if you hide the crown
Even in your hearts,
there will he rake for it"

i've raked my heart
for want of flaky
got poo instead

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
New far right coalition formed in Serbia. It's the usual suspects, Dveri and DSS (the party that used to be headed by Vojislav Koštunica, the guy who beat Milošević in the 2000 elections). They made a proclamation about their policies, it's the classics: anti-EU, pro-Serb-nationalism, pro-family, pro-church, et cetera... I don't think it's going to change anything (they don't have a lot of support), but at least it's nice to see DSS stop pretending they're not fascists at heart.

my dad fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jan 8, 2015

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Far right parties seem to be gaining popularity in Europe. Chatted with an Italian this morning who mentioned in the wake of the shooting in Paris yesterday fascist groups are getting bolder, despite they being illegal. Fear and hatred continue to be large motivators.

Meanwhile,

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

In a lot of countries the far right actually peaked in the 2000's. But yeah, this is definitely going to be a catalyst for them, particularly the Front National.

Anyway, at first I thought my dad was talking about a new far right government coalition, making me go :eyepop:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Njuz.net, the most popular Serbian satirical website, published their own take on the CH murders:

Titles (Going top-down, left-right):
-
Extremists fear overuse of humor against them
Terrorists in panic expect the retaliation of satirical websites
-
Suspects for the murder of journalists expect their deserved privileges
Attackers on Charlie Hebdo hope to be greeted by 72 virgins on arrival to prison
-
Braykin Neuws: Organized group of satirists broke into a terrorist camp and assaulted everyone present by reading texts!
-
Terrorist discovers that he can leave a negative comment on a website!
-
Man committed suicide because he couldn't handle being tortured by satirists!
-
UPSETTING: Leaked footage of cartoonists erasing the head of a fundamentalist's drawing!

e: Wrong thread. But eh, I'll leave it here.

my dad fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jan 8, 2015

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Not really wrong thread, Eastern European satirists after all.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

my dad posted:

Njuz.net, the most popular Serbian satirical website, published their own take on the CH murders:

-
-
Attackers on Charlie Hebdo hope to be greeted by 72 virgins on arrival to prison
-
Braykin Neuws: Organized group of satirists broke into a terrorist camp and assaulted everyone present by reading texts!
-
-
-
UPSETTING: Leaked footage of cartoonists erasing the head of a fundamentalist's drawing!

Ha.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

my dad posted:

-
-
-
-
-
-

This is beautiful, and definitely belongs here.

Horns of Hattin
Dec 21, 2011
72 device :lol: Engineering conferences must be a laughing riot for Serbians.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

eigenstate posted:

They're full of device of all kinds.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Polish Air Force is on its way to Lithuania to participate in Baltic Air Policing.

http://www.defence24.pl/news_polscy-lotnicy-udaja-sie-na-litwe

quote:

Defence Minister Tomasz Siemoniak attended the farewell of Polish soldiers, going to Lithuania under the Baltic Air Policing mission.

"Baltic Air Policing is a practical manifestation of solidarity NATO and the principle of collective defense, enshrined in Article. 5 of the Washington Treaty" -- Deputy Prime Minister Tomasz Siemoniak

During the ceremony, Deputy Prime Minister stressed the importance of Siemoniak Baltic Air Policing mission in the context of the Alliance's defense and security system. He pointed out that the Baltic states, which do not have their own fighters gained in this way, the ability to protect the airspace - tells MON.

"Air Policing mission was established by NATO for the implementation of the rules in force in the Alliance indivisibility of security. According to this principle, all NATO members - especially those who may lack some own military capabilities - they must have a sense of certainty for help in case of need." -- Deputy Prime Minister Tomasz Siemoniak

In the beginning rotation Baltic Air Policing mission will be attended by the Italians, using fighters Eurofighter and stationed in Siauliai, Lithuania. Will be supported by the Air Force Typhoony Spain, deployed in the database Amari in Estonia, four Polish MiG-29 and the Belgian F-16, carrying out activities of Malbork.

"Thank you very much for all participants PMC Orlik 6 for the readiness to this particular mission. Baltic states will perform tasks that require not only an air of craftsmanship, but also the mental toughness and great responsibility. I wish you a safe execution of tasks and a happy return to their homes." -- Deputy Prime Minister Tomasz Siemoniak

Strengthened NATO Baltic Air Policing mission in connection with the threat of the activities of the Russian Federation, in the context of the crisis in Ukraine. The number of contingent stationed in Lithuania has been increased, and additional machines deployed in Estonia and Poland.

Who's face is that on the inside tail fin on that MiG?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

eigenstate posted:

Woah, I never thought of reading it that way. This is the play on words I needed in my life.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

You could also go with 72 girls (72 cure).

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Flaky posted:

Oh and a form note about the following discussion - can we avoid overusing the quote button? It breaks up the train of thought for those reading and just leads to people losing interest or talking past each other (or deliberately misrepresenting people, as the above poster has just done)

An alternative to the quote button migbt be to f5, then immediately make a blank post (so as to reserve your place for your comment, and then to go back and fill in the post given the context.

Oh my god, shut up.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Flaky posted:

Things which already seem just a little too convenient;

- the mention of the galette des rois during the interview on the 6th with the guy who survived because of his business trip. The christian religious significance would never be lost on most french people, where it is for anglophones. In other words it is a dog whistle. A parallel would be if there was an attack on the News of The World and suddenly all left media is outflanked and obliged to defend that editorial bias.

- the exact phrasing and import of the cops last words

- the behaviour and witness accounts of the shooters v. the profiles released

Unfortunately a native level in french is absolutely required; dont believe anything english language without double checking it with a native. For example - its a galette des rois (plural not singular), but that was my mistake.

In case anyone missed this loving insane very late edit. Why are you making GBS threads up the Russian thread with loving conspiratorial false flag theories about Islamic attacks in France?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Just came across this in the gbs thread:

Carbon dioxide posted:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-30735673

quote:

Russia has listed transsexual and transgender people among those who will no longer qualify for driving licences.

Fetishism, exhibitionism and voyeurism are also included as "mental disorders" now barring people from driving.
Which is too bad as I was really looking forward to more dashcam videos :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
wtf am I reading

• Locked thread