Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I doubt they'll give then a new model, since they're writing them out, but I'm sure they'll have new rules in the book.

I dunno, GW have produced minis for canonically dead characters before, and Gotrek and Felix are pretty popular. GW'd be mad not to produce new minis, or at least re-release the existing ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
Dark elves are pretty much the most power army in the game so you won't be sorry if you chose them.

Your old wood elves are doing fine btw, I can post some pics later if you like :)

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Oh really? Success. I'll pick up the book and check them out.

Glad to hear they're getting some love. I haven't done anything fantasy related since selling those on. Pics would be awesome.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
I'm really disturbed by the rumours that have been doing the rounds of Warhammer 9th edition being turned into an entirely different game & setting, especially since I purchased an entire WFB army like two months ago! Not sure I'll keep painting now; might just throw it all in the bin. It's only toy soldiers but I put a lot of time into assembling and painting this stuff so I'm pretty mad about it.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I hope you're being sarcastic and are just going to wait and see what actually happens.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Mukip posted:

I'm really disturbed by the rumours that have been doing the rounds of Warhammer 9th edition being turned into an entirely different game & setting, especially since I purchased an entire WFB army like two months ago! Not sure I'll keep painting now; might just throw it all in the bin. It's only toy soldiers but I put a lot of time into assembling and painting this stuff so I'm pretty mad about it.

The game nor the setting won't be all that different. At most the setting has a changed landscape and the game provides better support for smaller armies (it probably won't though) and has some kind of faction alliance thingy

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
Well yes, I will likely wait for official confirmation but that might take a while, since GW does not communicate except via marketing a week before release. This is the only company I can think of that would cause a stir like this without putting out any official information.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
The Rumors have it being a pretty substantial change such as there only being 6 Armies! We will see, and while I'm not going to stop painting and building stuff I'm probably gonna hold off on buying much more... We should know in like the next 6 months how this shakes out.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
There is a lot of cost involved in the End Times stuff, to the point where I'm skeptical they're going to invalidate nearly all of it after the oldest End Times model has been on the shelf less than a year.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
I suppose it does somewhat makes sense: Undead Legion, Chaos Hordes, Elven Warband, Skaven, Orcs, Human Coalition (lizzie and humans + ogre mercenaries)

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
No Dwarfs? The space priests better be loving sweet, then.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Dwarves used to be in the Empire list so they are probably going there after getting their bearded asses kicked out of the mountains.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
That would be...a lot, in this proposed Human Coalition.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
Lizards are probably on their own too if skaven are. Skaven and Lizardmen are the most unique factions and work well with GW's giant, detailed plastic kits.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
The problem is, as tropey as most GW is, there's a lot of bases to cover, and if Skaven and Lizardmen both get their own lists, that leaves four lists to cover 13 armies.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

The problem is, as tropey as most GW is, there's a lot of bases to cover, and if Skaven and Lizardmen both get their own lists, that leaves four lists to cover 13 armies.

My guess is the rumor is wrong and its more than 6 books

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Are there any decent alternate human Halberdier options? Mantic has Men-at-Arms but they only get Swords or Spears, not Halberds.

Rahotep75
May 21, 2012

I'm just a wild and crazy kind of god.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Are there any decent alternate human Halberdier options? Mantic has Men-at-Arms but they only get Swords or Spears, not Halberds.

Have you looked at Warlord Games? Their War of the Roses line is pretty sharp and an almost dead ringer for Empire.

Here is the link to their infantry box set.

I've seen pics online comparing them to normal GW stuff and it seems like the scale is pretty close.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

There are probably at least a dozen different lines of nominally 28mm historical minis that would have halberdiers available. After zombies and skeletons, human historical minis are easily the most widely available proxy minis in the miniature industry.

I think there was a post within the last dozen pages or so that did a roundup of a bunch of historical lines suitable for proxies for Empire/Brets?

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
Is this the summary of rumors people are talking about?

http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2015/01/breaking-wfb-9th-explodes.html

I think there's some grains of truth there. But they also claim lizardmen are striaght up disappearing, so I wouldn't trust it too much

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Lizardmen are getting into their spaceships and leaving

to an alternate dimension Old World where everything is exactly as it was before The End Times

Nebalebadingdong posted:

Is this the summary of rumors people are talking about?

http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2015/01/breaking-wfb-9th-explodes.html

I think there's some grains of truth there. But they also claim lizardmen are striaght up disappearing, so I wouldn't trust it too much

These 49.99 books aren't money grabs guys, we're just releasing dozens of them in an attempt to fix the game

S.J. fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jan 7, 2015

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

S.J. posted:

Lizardmen are getting into their spaceships and leaving

to an alternate dimension Old World where everything is exactly as it was before The End Times

These 49.99 books aren't money grabs guys, we're just releasing dozens of them in an attempt to fix the game

Lizardmen in 40K!

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Except the Lizardmen from current Warhammer know that Teclis is bad so they affect that dimension inadvertently creating a new End Times.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
The one thing I think is definitely true is that army books will get smaller and the game will rely on one-time-run supplements more. I think I might prefer that to the glacial "new edition followed by re-release of all army books" thing they've been doing.

I also think GW is mostly done with the "basic" trooper. Too many other companies offer cheap plastic elves and dwarves and doods with swords. So they'll move more towards making complex kits where their digital modelling tech shines and no one else can compete.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Radish posted:

Except the Lizardmen from current Warhammer know that Teclis is bad so they affect that dimension inadvertently creating a new End Times.

A new End Times, with a whole new host of books and models to sell

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

S.J. posted:

A new End Times, with a whole new host of books and models to sell

It's ... beautiful....

S.J.
May 19, 2008

This will all just lead up to The Reformation where the good guys strike back and put the world back into the lovely but familiar place it was before

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I wouldn't mind them going to a more skirmish level game, but the rumors sound like they're invalidating 80% of the range at the same time they're keeping model counts similar.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I would mind a lot them goign to a skirmish style game. There are already plenty of skirmish games like Hordes (hell, they abandoned Mordheim, which is a decent skirmish game); the main attraction of warhammer fantasy, for me, is that it's a larger-scale formation army game.

If those rumors are true and they're wholly abandoning both the larger-scale formation army game, and everything "egyptian" in the undead, then they've certainly lost me. I've got piles of tomb kings, many of which I still haven't gotten around to assembling and painting.

As a strategy for GW, I don't think it's going to work well; it sounds really complex, likely to piss off most of their existing customers, and they're still not doing what they need to to do attract new customers (sell a boxed set with two actually matched armies and complete rules for both armies and the core game; support in-store and independent-store play; support tournaments; actually bother to have a marketing department; etc.).

I get that something big needs to be done to fix the dwindling sales of warhammer fantasy, and I'm actually pleased that GW is willing to do something drastic. I just don't see this as likely to succeed. It's messy and the world as described doesn't sound very compelling and if you don't have an existing customer base excited about your game, you don't have anyone promoting it to a new customer base.

Fragmenting the supported rule sets is also not a great idea. When we cleanly move from one edition to the next, where everyone's army is supported in the new edition, then the entire playerbase moves and you can find multiple opponents to play against. When you have some people playing O.G. 8th edition and that's officially still supported, some people playing End Times (with big expensive models they've invested in for that), and some people playing new skirmishy round-bases 9th edition with new army lists and a whole new faction etc., you reduce the ability of any given player to find opponents playing the same game.

I may be being overly pessimistic, but I bought in to Warhammer with 8th edition by taking the premiere 8th edition army, because I wanted an army-scale maneuver fantasy game with a cool aesthetic and reasonably polished rules. These rumors, if they're at all accurate, foretell a game which moves away from all of the reasons I bought in in the first place.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

I was just hoping they would finish all the army books for 8e so I can just play that forever if whatever comes next is crap. My High Elf friend is pretty mad over their merger with the other elves.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

Mordheim, which is a decent skirmish game

12 skavens with slings is how you play that game, right?

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Just wanted to poke my head in here and say sorry for your hams :(

S.J.
May 19, 2008

DJ Dizzy posted:

12 skavens with slings is how you play that game, right?

And one assassin, yes

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
Remember when the worst thing that could've happened to Fantasy was it having an Unbound option like 40K? Ah, for those days again.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Leperflesh posted:

I get that something big needs to be done to fix the dwindling sales of warhammer fantasy, and I'm actually pleased that GW is willing to do something drastic.

It doesn't need to be drastic at all.

1) Make stuff cheaper so you don't need $300-$600 to play a regular 2,000 point game.
2) Actually try to balance stuff.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Business Gorillas posted:

1) Make stuff cheaper so you don't need $300-$600 to play a regular 2,000 point game.

3) Don't make sweeping changes to the game that invalidate the armies people have already spent a lot of money on. Instead, maybe find ways to get them to add more units to their existing armies/start a new army, perhaps?

E: 4) If the above fails, tell people their existing armies will work just fine in Kings of War. :v:

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Business Gorillas posted:

If it was only 3-600 dollars I think more people would play.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Sydney Bottocks posted:

E: 4) If the above fails, tell people their existing armies will work just fine in Kings of War. :v:

Kings of War doesn't have a pseudo-Egyptian undead army.

I could play generic undeads in KoW, but there'd be nothing to do with my cool stone sphynx that breathes fire and carries undeads on its back, or my cool bone catapults that hurl flaming skulls at people, or my giant stone serpets being ridden by skeletons, etc. etc.

Does KoW have a skavenlike faction? How about dinosaurs riding dinosaurs?

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Dwindling sales? I don't know what you are talking about :v: WHFB outsells 40k over here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Leperflesh posted:

Kings of War doesn't have a pseudo-Egyptian undead army.

I could play generic undeads in KoW, but there'd be nothing to do with my cool stone sphynx that breathes fire and carries undeads on its back, or my cool bone catapults that hurl flaming skulls at people, or my giant stone serpets being ridden by skeletons, etc. etc.

Does KoW have a skavenlike faction? How about dinosaurs riding dinosaurs?

There's a lack of giant monsters in KoW, to be sure, so nothing to do about that. The undead do have catapults in their army, so there's that. Serpents, nah, that one's a bust (but I never saw them perform very well anyway) although I guess you could use them as a regular cavalry unit if you really want them on the table.

They don't have a skavenlike faction at the moment--they've seemingly kept that element in their sci-fi setting with the veer-myn--but you could reasonably do a count-as with goblins I suppose. No dino-riding dinos, which still remains the best part of WHFB (that they are apparently going to get rid of if those rumors do pan out, so :laffo: )

• Locked thread