Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Postal Parcel posted:

Trust me, Akio gets his comeuppance. Not in a way one would expect but it's satisfying at least.
If the tv ending isn't comeuppance-y enough for you, then watch the movie. Akio really gets it there.

Also, watch the movie anyway, the music is good(I love Sunlit Garden ~Abraxas~ and the 2 duel themes) and it's very...interesting.

Rangpur posted:

Akio makes a really good villain. Without getting too deep into black-bar territory, I don't think the ending of Utena is ambiguous. The potential aftermath is very much open to interpretation.

I just watched the ending, and while I would have loved an unambigiously happy ending, what I got was pretty good. Utena caused a small revolution in the end :unsmith: Also liked how they took the notion of the passive princess and tore it apart. I have NO idea what's up with [spoiler] Utena's disappearence though. Is she dead? Or did she actually get sent away? Does she remember anything of what happened in that case? But I guess that's not really relevant for what the writer set out to do. I just think it's kind of heart-breaking that the last we see of of Utena is her crying because she thought she let Anthy down. And why was the door protected by Utena's pink roses? I guess I'll track down the movie but it's more like an alternate take on the story, right?

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jan 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Renoistic posted:

I guess I'll track down the movie but it's more like an alternate take on the story, right?

Yeah, same characters different beats. And while I wouldn't say it had a completely unambiguous happy ending, it's pretty close.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Renoistic posted:

I just watched the ending, and while I would have loved an unambigiously happy ending, what I got was pretty good. Utena caused a small revolution in the end :unsmith: I have NO idea what's up with [spoiler] Utena's disappearence though. Is she dead? Or did she actually get sent away? Does she remember anything of what happened in that case? But I guess that's not really relevant for what the writer set out to do. I just think it's kind of heart-breaking that the last we see of of Utena is her crying because she thought she let Anthy down. I guess I'll track down the movie but it's more like an alternate take on the story, right?

She grew up, and left behind the children's world of Ohtori. The movie is aptly named.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Effectronica posted:

She grew up, and left behind the children's world of Ohtori. The movie is aptly named.

I like that interpretation. Great show overall. I marathoned it in three days and I can see why a lot of people remember it fondly.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Utena: Akio wants to awaken the dormant ideal of the prince, embodied in Dios. An ideal is "something eternal, something shining:" a perfect concept that can only exist in the imaginary. Dios is something Lacan would call a master signifier. Basically, in our mundane world, nothing has inherent meaning: every idea must defer its meaning to something else. "Man" can mean "adult male," but "adult" could mean "grown" or "mature", which in turn could mean "large" or "fermented" . . . And so on ad nauseum. Our symbols for the world do not exist in and of themselves; they exist within an endless network, or chain. But Dios is different. Dios is an ideal. In Plato's view, our world is made up of dim shadows of the true Forms that exist within the divine. An ideal is the perfect, eternal shape. A human teacher operates only in deference to the ideal form of a "Teacher." In other words, you aren't a Teacher, you're only a pale imitation, an actor putting on the role of a teacher. But Dios, as the embodiment of the ideal Prince, is irreducible. Dios defers to Dios. He is a true, fixed identity. In a world full of dim shadows, Dios's brilliance becomes a master signifier: he becomes the one true thing in the world, the one thing that has value in and of himself, which makes him infinitely priceless and meaningful. And to become a Prince, to inherit the identity of Dios . . .

These motivations lead Akio to usurp Ohtori Academy, which he turns into a sort of utopian project for awakening Dios. Utena, Touga, Souji, etc. are students in Akio's school-of-becoming-a-Prince. As long as they are willing participants yearning to become a Prince, they will never be able to grow up, stuck in a phase of fantasizing about becoming a fairytale hero that doesn't exist. Having been introduced to this state of inner-deficiency, this state of not-being in opposition to Dios's perfect self-being, the rose duelists are presented with a difficult choice: either continue believing in the legitimacy and potential for an eternal ideal Prince (necessitating that they continue the internal and external struggle of trying to actualize an imaginary concept, like Don Quixote), or leave behind the alluring promise of becoming someone who has value in and of themselves, of becoming something priceless and meaningful.

Although all of this is tiptoeing around Anthy.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Why isnt he shirless on the cars hood while the car drives itself, its ruining my impression of Ikuhara.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Welp my lesbear bros, it's been fun, but it seems this thread will be gone soon, RIP

GeekyManatee
Jul 12, 2011

DrPaper posted:

Welp my lesbear bros, it's been fun, but it seems this thread will be gone soon, RIP

As ridiculous as the content of the show is, I do not understand the threads getting gassed. The first episode was bizarre and surreal enough to spark interest and most of the blatant, over-the-top symbolism kept me laughing the entire time instead of cringing. Not sure what I was expecting going into a show about lesbians and bears, but it ended up being much more entertaining than I could have imagined. There are far more tasteless/boring/fan service-y/poorly put together shows that get dedicated threads in ADTRW.

coathat
May 21, 2007

First episode was cool. I liked when the bear said delicious smell.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Sailor-Arrakis posted:

As ridiculous as the content of the show is, I do not understand the threads getting gassed. The first episode was bizarre and surreal enough to spark interest and most of the blatant, over-the-top symbolism kept me laughing the entire time instead of cringing. Not sure what I was expecting going into a show about lesbians and bears, but it ended up being much more entertaining than I could have imagined. There are far more tasteless/boring/fan service-y/poorly put together shows that get dedicated threads in ADTRW.

Right, and with the new regime, they're likely to get gassed too. Our anime overlord is harsh but fair.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Sailor-Arrakis posted:

There are far more tasteless/boring/fan service-y/poorly put together shows that get dedicated threads in ADTRW.

You're right, this show about underage lesbians being raped by bears will surely be spared because there are more boring shows out there.

GeekyManatee
Jul 12, 2011

DrPaper posted:

You're right, this show about underage lesbians being raped by bears will surely be spared because there are more boring shows out there.

More my line of thought tends to be: "If the Monogatari series is allowed to have discussion on this board. So should most things."

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Sailor-Arrakis posted:

More my line of thought tends to be: "If the Monogatari series is allowed to have discussion on this board. So should most things."

They've already gassed threads for shows much tamer and less creepy than Yuri Bear Show. Make your time.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

As one of the apparent minority who actually watched that first episode, there was no rape in it. There were lesbians and bears though!

GeekyManatee
Jul 12, 2011

Srice posted:

As one of the apparent minority who actually watched that first episode, there was no rape in it. There were lesbians and bears though!

I think he's suggesting that the "eating" is symbolism for sex. Which would absolutely not surprise me.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sailor-Arrakis posted:

I think he's suggesting that the "eating" is symbolism for sex. Which would absolutely not surprise me.

It's always possible but I think trying to guess exactly what Ikuhara's game is this early in the show is a bit of a fool's errand.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

The Bears are Westerners and the humans are Japanese mystery solved

Captain Failcon
Jul 19, 2008

dill with it

DrPaper posted:

lesbroof

Ashtarath
Oct 11, 2012

Well i for one watched the lesbear anime's first episode and it was weird.

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom
All this talk about lesbians and bears and lesbian bears but I'm wondering what this "invisible storm" is.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

An orgasm?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
"Ōkawa Haruyoshi, who was seven years old and the son of the Sankebetsu village mayor at the time of the incident, grew up to become an excellent bear hunter. He swore an oath to kill ten bears for every victim of the attack. By the time he reached the age of 62, he had killed 102 bears. He then retired and constructed the bear harm cenotaph (熊害慰霊碑 Yūgai Ireihi?), a shrine where people can pray for the dead villagers."

May be relevant.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Effectronica posted:

"Ōkawa Haruyoshi, who was seven years old and the son of the Sankebetsu village mayor at the time of the incident, grew up to become an excellent bear hunter. He swore an oath to kill ten bears for every victim of the attack. By the time he reached the age of 62, he had killed 102 bears. He then retired and constructed the bear harm cenotaph (熊害慰霊碑 Yūgai Ireihi?), a shrine where people can pray for the dead villagers."

May be relevant.

Right, but how many of them did he gently caress?

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

Right, but how many of them didn't he gently caress?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Stall_19 posted:

All this talk about lesbians and bears and lesbian bears but I'm wondering what this "invisible storm" is.

Trolling/Bullying

Arashi (storm) is used in japan to describe these. The class representative saying that people have been ignoring the storm for too long just sort of reinforces that image, since japan is notorious for having incredibly bad bullying. How that relates to lesbian bears is beyond me, when it looks like it was the bears that were doing it in the first place.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Trolling/Bullying

Arashi (storm) is used in japan to describe these. The class representative saying that people have been ignoring the storm for too long just sort of reinforces that image, since japan is notorious for having incredibly bad bullying. How that relates to lesbian bears is beyond me, when it looks like it was the bears that were doing it in the first place.

Huh, didn't know that.

As far as the bears' place in it, I guess they are the bullies, but it's too early to say much. But it is obvious from this episode that they are hunting down unaccompanied people which you could translate to the predatory nature of bullies.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i wonder how bullying could relate to homosexuality

hmmm

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Endorph posted:

i wonder how bullying could relate to homosexuality

hmmm

Thats why I said it was weird, because it would be lesbians bullying lesbians. You can assume that everyone in the town is gay, so unless japan has a strange gay on gay bullying problem it wouldn't make sense at least as presented right now. There's definitely more to it than just this and it probably involves what the two different species of lesbians represent.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I bet that everybody that you think is a Bear is really a Human, and everybody that is really a human is really a bear.

That's just my two cents.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Thats why I said it was weird, because it would be lesbians bullying lesbians. You can assume that everyone in the town is gay, so unless japan has a strange gay on gay bullying problem it wouldn't make sense at least as presented right now. There's definitely more to it than just this and it probably involves what the two different species of lesbians represent.

I've got a theory here, but it involves a lot of :words: about the Japanese attitude to homosexuality and media depictions thereof, so stop me here if you're not interested in that/don't want to talk about the sociopolitical subtext of a show about underaged lesbian bears.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Kureha is a secret undercover bear.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

She has a gun, and is therefore the most dangerous of all the bears.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

I've got a theory here, but it involves a lot of :words: about the Japanese attitude to homosexuality and media depictions thereof, so stop me here if you're not interested in that/don't want to talk about the sociopolitical subtext of a show about underaged lesbian bears.

If anything a thread for an Ikuhara show seems like the perfect place to go hog wild with that.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

It's about man's inhumanity to man.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

It's a surprise birthday party gone horribly wrong.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

There was a glitch in the matrix, and Kureha has to become the Ultimate Lily Warrior to fix it.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

It's really just an elaborate ad for the Japan Hunters Association.

Rifles are cool, but handle weapons responsibly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Nature is Good, and so is Civilization, but maybe we should work together to strike a balance between the two, as citizens of earth.

• Locked thread